Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

craigslist campy tool score!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-10, 12:58 PM
norskagent
car dodger

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 61 Posts

derailleur alignment tool, freewheel tool, unbranded chainwhip, unbranded chain tool, small thingy(?), campy decal/sticker, small parts campy envelope w/ a few caliper? washers!

edit: chaintool is "cyclo made in england"
1976 Fuji Feather track
1979 raleigh track
"I've consulted my sources and I'm pretty sure your derailleur does not exist"
Old 03-29-10, 01:42 PM
PDXaero
French threaded

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Looks like that "small thing" is a u-lock bracket mount.
Old 03-29-10, 01:48 PM
norskagent
car dodger

maybe...seems too nicely made for that though.
1976 Fuji Feather track
1979 raleigh track
Old 03-29-10, 02:25 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
It's funny how tools become so specialized even though they have such simple functions. I suspect that the derailleur alignment tool is really just a bar with a bolt that screws into the derailleur hanger and you just bend the hanger with it as needed to straighten it if needed, but I guess none of us ever really have time to build that tool ourselves, so that's where Park, Campy and other companies step in with these things. Question is, how many times do you really get to use these things to make it worth buying or just taking up space in your tool boxes? I currently have a good lead on some real nice Park tools but I can't figure out what to pull the trigger on because this question keeps coming up in my head. How many headsets will I install in the next 5 years??....uhmmm maybe three or five at most. Is it worth getting that headset installing tool from my lead then???, Do I really need a humongous wheel dishing too crowding all my other stuff if I only expect to build 1 or 2 wheelsets a year at most??? Gosh, I can't seem to answer those questions.......Anyway, my LBS isn't that far away to have it done those few times.....
Just my latest personal thoughts on getting more bike tools for myself.

Chombi
Old 03-29-10, 02:31 PM
norskagent
car dodger

yea, you are right, I probably won't ever use that tool, esp. when I can use pretty much the all lbs tools, under their supervision/guidance. But, the price was right for the collection ($20), so I bit!
1976 Fuji Feather track
1979 raleigh track
Old 03-29-10, 03:15 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Originally Posted by norskagent
yea, you are right, I probably won't ever use that tool, esp. when I can use pretty much the all lbs tools, under their supervision/guidance. But, the price was right for the collection ($20), so I bit!
WelL, 20 bucks could make me buy those tools too. I thought you paid so much more for those. Good score then!
You can probably flip it to a guy that really needs it so youcan make some cash to buy other more "significant" tools in the future.

Chombi
Old 03-29-10, 03:39 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 193 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2936 Post(s)
Liked 2,933 Times in 1,496 Posts
nice score but I think there is a part of hanger alignment tool missing. where is the part that slides back and forth to contact the rim? something like this one. https://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=39

if I had a hanger alignment tool I would check every new or used frame I was building or fixing up for the first time. seeing a hanger is bent in in the vertical plane is easy. but if it is bent, hhmm well that is not exactly horizontal so howabout if it is twisted?

PS is the "little thing" something you attach to a tube of grease to lube cables? do you have acloseup?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Hanger tool.jpg (25.8 KB, 6 views)

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 03-29-10, 04:44 PM
norskagent
car dodger

Here's a close up of the "thingy":

I'm sure it's bound to be someone's holy grail!
1976 Fuji Feather track
1979 raleigh track
Old 03-29-10, 05:00 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 193 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2936 Post(s)
Liked 2,933 Times in 1,496 Posts
does that slide onto the derailleur alignment tool? it looks like there is a place for a screw or setscrew

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 03-29-10, 05:03 PM
norskagent
car dodger

Yes! But what is missing to check the measurement?
1976 Fuji Feather track
1979 raleigh track
Old 03-29-10, 05:07 PM
redxj
N+1

Bikes: A few

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
nice score but I think there is a part of hanger alignment tool missing. where is the part that slides back and forth to contact the rim? something like this one. https://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=39
Incorrect. The Park tool DAG-1 has an extra part like you pictured. The Campagnolo one is much simpler and is just an angled rod as pictured. You just eye ball it against the wheel and adjust accordingly. I have the Park personally and the Campagnolo one at the bike shop I work at. I prefer the Campagnolo one over the Park for quickness and ease of use.
Old 03-29-10, 05:15 PM
norskagent
car dodger

But then why does the thingy fit perfectly onto the campy alignment tool? Coincidence?
Edit: actually it doesn't fit perfectly, it is a little big and has some wiggle slop - not useful for measuring.
1976 Fuji Feather track
1979 raleigh track

Last edited by norskagent; 03-29-10 at 05:18 PM.
Old 03-29-10, 06:12 PM
2Fer

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
+1 PDXaero,
the "Thingy" is the bracket on a U-lock that slides into the bracket attached to the bike frame.
Old 03-29-10, 06:28 PM
PDXaero
French threaded

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 2Fer
+1 PDXaero,
the "Thingy" is the bracket on a U-lock that slides into the bracket attached to the bike frame.
I pulled one from my x-small Kryptonite to accommodate not being in the way, and less weight because i hate the clamp mount.
Old 03-29-10, 06:33 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi
It's funny how tools become so specialized even though they have such simple functions. .... Question is, how many times do you really get to use these things to make it worth buying or just taking up space in your tool boxes? I currently have a good lead on some real nice Park tools but I can't figure out what to pull the trigger on because this question keeps coming up in my head. How many headsets will I install in the next 5 years??....uhmmm maybe three or five at most. Is it worth getting that headset installing tool from my lead then???, Do I really need a humongous wheel dishing too crowding all my other stuff if I only expect to build 1 or 2 wheelsets a year at most??? Gosh, I can't seem to answer those questions.......Anyway, my LBS isn't that far away to have it done those few times.....
Just my latest personal thoughts on getting more bike tools for myself.

Chombi
First, I don't trust the mechanics at the local shop.

Second, you are correct the number of times of use is limited, but when THAT tool is needed, there often is no substitute. Or the substitute is shadetree in nature, like using a bolt, bushings and washers to install a BB fixed cup. A shop I worked for was using that set up, I looked at the owner with the expression of surely you are joking? Not too long later he finally got a Campagnolo tool kit.

Third, after you have used good tools, marginal work-a-rounds are just that, marginal.

Be a man, buy some tools.
Old 03-29-10, 09:02 PM
redxj
N+1

Bikes: A few

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
First, I don't trust the mechanics at the local shop.

Second, you are correct the number of times of use is limited, but when THAT tool is needed, there often is no substitute. Or the substitute is shadetree in nature, like using a bolt, bushings and washers to install a BB fixed cup. A shop I worked for was using that set up, I looked at the owner with the expression of surely you are joking? Not too long later he finally got a Campagnolo tool kit.

Third, after you have used good tools, marginal work-a-rounds are just that, marginal.

N+1 applies to bike tools as well as bikes. I started with a few basic tools, eventually added a bunch including a repair stand when a semi-local shop went under. Now a few years later I can do basically anything to repair a bike except for the facing and chasing (excluding adding braze ons, repairing tubes, etc. ), but that doesn't mean I won't buy those tools eventually. I even have a bit of C&V related tools a normal newer shop doesn't have such as stronglight and TA crank extractors, Campagnolo pedal dust cap wrench, Helicomatic freewheel tool, and I haven't meet a freewheel I don't the correct tool to remove. It started out innocent enough, but now I have enough tools to furnish a working bike shop.
Old 03-29-10, 09:48 PM
Chombi

Originally Posted by repechage
Hoho! "be a man, buy some tools??!" If only you know how much tools I already have in my steel tool shop chest that must weigh over a couple of hundred pounds I use for my motorcycles and my cars and my bikes, you would understand why I would try to limit to buy yet another tool that will just get buried under all the other tools I already have, because I rarely use it.
Been tooling around bikes since the 70's as a kid and have been successfully able to work out, remove and install even the most recalcitrant part a bike had ever presented to me and so, for my purposes, only the most proprietary tools (like freewheel removers and crank pullers) that will only fit certain brand of parts are the only ones I still buy tools for.

Chombi