Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Paceline etiquette / "Dirty" riding

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-10, 01:09 PM
sabazel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know all the basics of road riding in an aggressive group i.e. attacks, sprints, etc. but I was wondering what constitutes as "dirty" behavior.

Examaples: Sometimes when I ride, I'm in the paceline up towards the front, going the same speed as everyone else, and someone will pass and try to squeeze ahead of me or the next person. Then someone else will. Before I know it, I'm towards the back. What is the point of this, if I'm going the same speed and not letting a gap occur? It's not like they're attacking and trying to up the pace. Dirty? Normal?

I understand regrouping vs. not letting people get dropped and such. What about when you're with a group at a strong pace and come to a stop sign, the first three/four people dash across when a car is coming, and then don't wait for everyone else to catch up once the cars have gone. Bad luck for those left behind? Bad karma for the guys in front?

I'm just trying to get it all evened out in terms of what's kosher and what's not, generally, for an aggressive RECREATIONAL group ride. Not talking training rides. Even though from what my friends say who race, those rides are actually more organized and better for everyone (i.e. no suddenly accelerating the pace when taking a pull, no sprinting up hills leaving everyone else behind, keeping the integrity of the paceline, not SPITTING in the paceline, etc).
Old 05-31-10, 01:14 PM
Basil Moss

Bikes: Specialized Allez (2007)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On our chaingang, strong riders will spot gaps appearing and plug them right away. Maybe you are leaving a bigger gap than everyone else and they are afraid you are going to let the wheel go? And there are those who take every opportunity to get on the front again, it's a training ride after all. They also tend to push a gruesome pace when they get there too...

If it's specifically RECREATIONAL not training... who knows. I don't know anyone who recreationally rides aggressively. Not like that anyway. People who want to ride competitively tend to train for it.
Old 05-31-10, 01:14 PM
RichinPeoria
175mm crank of love

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I see a group of riders all dressed up in their Tour d France costumes I do the best I can to make a noisy pass and leave them looking at my back side. Just say'n. That's how I roll

Last edited by RichinPeoria; 05-31-10 at 01:20 PM.
Old 05-31-10, 01:53 PM
San Rensho 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
Guys are always trying each other to see if they can snake a wheel, its not really dirty pool in my book, just aggressive riding. As long as they aren't pushing you its not dirty, but once they get their front wheel ahead of yours and they have a big overlap, theres not much you can do but give them the wheel.

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
Old 05-31-10, 02:19 PM
agarose2000

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I hate that forced squeeze effect when you're not leaving a gap.

I admit that I've dragged my TT bike to group rides and thus am a generous target. I try and stay in the back on the flats up to the first climb out of courtesy to the roadies who might fear my aerobars, but there are invariably latecomers or socializing folks who fall back a bit. Sure enough, the moment they're done, they literally force their way into my path - it's gotten to the point that I just smile and fall back to let them get their position, which usually leaves me last or 2nd to last.

The ironic part - we'l hit the first climb, and out of 50 riders, I'm invariably in the top 5-7 front group, made up mostly of Cat1-3 competitive roadies. I've ridden with this group often enough that they know I can hold a fast pace, yet week after week, I'll get guys busting in on my line during the slow portion of the ride as if I can't ride. Fortunately, up front with the big boys, it doesn't happen - at all, actually.
Old 05-31-10, 02:25 PM
botto 

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by sabazel
I know all the basics of road riding in an aggressive group i.e. attacks, sprints, etc. but I was wondering what constitutes as "dirty" behavior.

Examaples: Sometimes when I ride,
I'm in the paceline up towards the front, going the same speed as everyone else, and someone will pass and try to squeeze ahead of me or the next person. Then someone else will. Before I know it, I'm towards the back. What is the point of this, if I'm going the same speed and not letting a gap occur? It's not like they're attacking and trying to up the pace. Dirty? Normal?
my guess is that you're either squirrely, or not as fast as you think you are.

I understand regrouping vs. not letting people get dropped and such. What about when you're with a group at a strong pace and come to a stop sign, the first three/four people dash across when a car is coming, and then don't wait for everyone else to catch up once the cars have gone. Bad luck for those left behind? Bad karma for the guys in front?
that's dickish behavior by the people who carried on.

I'm just trying to get it all evened out in terms of what's kosher and what's not, generally, for an aggressive RECREATIONAL group ride. Not talking training rides. Even though from what my friends say who race, those rides are actually more organized and better for everyone (i.e. no suddenly accelerating the pace when taking a pull, no sprinting up hills leaving everyone else behind, keeping the integrity of the paceline, not SPITTING in the paceline, etc).
as long as you make sure to direct it away from those next/behind you, spitting isn't a problem.
Old 05-31-10, 02:37 PM
WHOOOSSHHH...

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RichinPeoria
When I see a group of riders all dressed up in their Tour d France costumes I do the best I can to make a noisy pass and leave them looking at my back side. Just say'n. That's how I roll
And your wearing what? A white speedo, pink crocs and farting as you blow by?
Old 05-31-10, 02:40 PM
chasmm

Bikes: '85 Rossin Super Record, '88 Specialized Sequoia, '10 Raleigh Cadent FT2, '10 Specialized Roubaix Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by botto
my guess is that you're either squirrely, or not as fast as you think you are.
+1 on this, possibly. I'm not questioning your ability, but if you consistently see people trying to jump your spot, maybe they're not comfortable sucking YOUR wheel. This could be a result of uneven cadence, less than straight-line riding, or some other thing. If it happens in wet weather, it could be your tires kick up more crap than others. Seriously, we've got a guy that rides with us who has tires that seem to rooster-tail more than anyone else. We finally just asked him to either ride the back (for everyone else's sake), or change his tires...heck, we even offered to take up a donation!

If you find this happening on a regular basis, with a group you frequently ride with...the best thing is to ask them in a non-confrontational manner. You might be doing something you're not aware of.

On the other hand, you might just be riding with jerks...it happens
Old 05-31-10, 02:50 PM
RichinPeoria
175mm crank of love

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WHOOOSSHHH...
And your wearing what? A white speedo, pink crocs and farting as you blow by?
Today I rode in...

-Ray-Ban Wayfarers,
-Bank Giro Loterij cycling cap,
-mesh-backed half finger cycling gloves
-blue Exustar cycling shoes,
-black cycling shorts
-a t-shirt that has a cartoon picture of two dogs, one sniffing the others butt and captioned: “I HATE SINGLES BARS”.
Old 05-31-10, 03:00 PM
ahsposo 
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6768 Post(s)
Liked 5,485 Times in 3,226 Posts
Today I rode in...

-Ray-Ban Wayfarers,
-Bank Giro Loterij cycling cap,
-mesh-backed half finger cycling gloves
-blue Exustar cycling shoes,
-black cycling shorts
-a t-shirt that has a cartoon picture of two dogs, one sniffing the others butt and captioned: “I HATE SINGLES BARS”.
A fashion GOD!
Old 05-31-10, 03:18 PM
hurley.girl
Nerd

Bikes: Cervelo R3 SL, Cervelo P2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chasmm
+1 on this, possibly. I'm not questioning your ability, but if you consistently see people trying to jump your spot, maybe they're not comfortable sucking YOUR wheel. This could be a result of uneven cadence, less than straight-line riding, or some other thing.
This is also my guess, especially if they are only doing it to you. Whenever I get on the wheel of someone who can't keep it smooth in a paceline, I try to jump in front as well.

One of my teammates, unfortunately, is a big offender. Constantly surges and then eases up to keep the speed. It's annoying to ride behind this and the entire paceline behind her is a mess unless someone intentionally keeps a bigger gap to avoid getting sucked into the accordian effect that she alone causes.
Old 05-31-10, 03:41 PM
Walter
SLJ 6/8/65-5/2/07

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
Most of my ideas have been covered so I'll agree with the idea that people are probably jumping you either because they can or they think they need to. I'll strongly agree with the jerkyness of people who create gaps by rolling a redlight when there's oncoming traffic. We've got one or two in our Saturday AM and Wed PM groups who do that consistently.
Old 05-31-10, 04:30 PM
rooftest
Despite all my rage, I am

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Colnago C-50

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No matter how strong you are, if you - as a single rider - pass a paceline, then that's a pretty weak paceline.
Old 05-31-10, 04:53 PM
FLvector
Stand and Deliver

Bikes: Cannondale R1000, Giant TCR Advanced, Giant TCR Advanced SL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by hurley.girl
This is also my guess, especially if they are only doing it to you. Whenever I get on the wheel of someone who can't keep it smooth in a paceline, I try to jump in front as well.

One of my teammates, unfortunately, is a big offender. Constantly surges and then eases up to keep the speed. It's annoying to ride behind this and the entire paceline behind her is a mess unless someone intentionally keeps a bigger gap to avoid getting sucked into the accordian effect that she alone causes.
This can be very annoying. If it is too extreme, I'll do whatever I need to avoid riding behind someone like this.
Old 05-31-10, 05:51 PM
sabazel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmm... I will ask my friends on the Tuesday ride to pay attention to my line to make sure I'm holding it securelym and my pace. It could be the reason, though I don't FEEL all over the place, and can ride in a tight pack pretty confidently. Of course, I'm sure the person who IS all over the place never thinks they are all over the place.

I could be a case in point. I'll let y'all know.
Old 05-31-10, 06:04 PM
Yaniel
SLO-1

Bikes: '09 BMC Road Racer SL01

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hurley.girl

I've been on rides that has people like this. It gets so bad that I've found coming out of the line and going off the front of the group causes my heart rate to drop. and its mostly because people are trying to talk, or ride next to a buddy instead of staying on the wheel in front of them.
Old 05-31-10, 06:06 PM
rangerdavid

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9-6 2014 Trek Domaine 5.9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Walter
I'll strongly agree with the jerkyness of people who create gaps by rolling a redlight when there's oncoming traffic. We've got one or two in our Saturday AM and Wed PM groups who do that consistently.

I gotta agree with Walter and Botto on this one, those kinds of guys are really jerks................

been on a ride where 3 guys had a reputation for doing that, and when they did, and sprinted away thinking we'd break our necks to catch up, we just turned right instead of going straight, and went another route...........
Old 05-31-10, 06:23 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
How about Pcad Etiquette? What about that?
Old 05-31-10, 06:26 PM
EventServices
Announcer

Bikes: More than I need, really.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 13 Posts
Riders who attack through an intersection are idiots.
They do it all the time on the Birmingham Ride (metro-Detroit), and then they treat it like it's a real breakaway.

There's another helpful thread somewhere around here that crops up from time to time. It points out some other infractions.
Old 05-31-10, 06:29 PM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by EventServices
Correct.
Old 05-31-10, 06:57 PM
RichinPeoria
175mm crank of love

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EventServices
They do it all the time on the Birmingham Ride (metro-Detroit), and then they treat it like it's a real breakaway.

There's another helpful thread somewhere around here that crops up from time to time. It points out some other infractions.
Its been my experience that "idiots" and "Birmingham" are synonymous
Old 05-31-10, 07:04 PM
bismillah

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Examaples: Sometimes when I ride, I'm in the paceline up towards the front, going the same speed as everyone else, and someone will pass and try to squeeze ahead of me or the next person. Then someone else will. Before I know it, I'm towards the back. What is the point of this, if I'm going the same speed and not letting a gap occur? It's not like they're attacking and trying to up the pace. Dirty? Normal?
This is what we call in the world of cycling a "rotating paceline"
Old 05-31-10, 07:07 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
How about Pcad Etiquette? What about that?
That applies primarily to internet behavior, not riding. But Bailey still loves you anyway.
Old 05-31-10, 07:38 PM
BarryJo

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale EVO DA; 09 Giant TCR Advanced SL; 07 Giant TCR Advanced

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bismillah
This is what we call in the world of cycling a "rotating paceline"
Huh?
What the OP described happens on our tuesday night ride all the time. A nice paceline gets in motion, the riders at the front understand the nature of a paceline, you do your work, flick off, fall to the back and latch back on.
There is nothing worse than when the paceline has a nice flow to it, everyone is holding close to the wheel in front of them, and some idiot wants to move up a few places on the outside and then decides to point to the spot he wants to squeeze into.
This is what causese the Cat 5 acordian effect because the rider getting cut off has to slow to let Lance in, thuse causing the 10 or 30 riders behind to have to slow and then have to expend more energy to get back to the initial speed of the ride.

Here's a somewhat infamous video (thanks Waterrockets) of a rotating paceline where the inside line pulls through while the lead riders continue to pull off to the left and drift to the back before getting back on again.
Old 05-31-10, 07:43 PM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
maybe there's a bigger guy in front of you that the line jumpers want to draft?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.