Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Simon Yates abandons due to positive COVID test

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-20, 03:39 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts

Well this will be something to watch for news on.

https://www.velonews.com/events/giro...s-been-popped/

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/sim...r-coronavirus/

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/r...ositive-472246

Considering there is decent evidence that you can spread COVID several days before a test is even able to detect it, I wonder whether I'd want to even be near his team mates that didn't test positive.
Old 10-10-20, 04:19 PM
Caretaker
Heretic

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant OCR3, Giant CRS3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2827 Post(s)
Liked 561 Times in 429 Posts
They hopefully have tested everyone in Mitchelton-Scott and will test every team on the rest day (Monday) and we will just have to hope that there's no significant number of positives.

The reports of teams having to share hotels with the general public doesn't sound encouraging.
Old 10-10-20, 05:38 PM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
It certainly explains his poor performance. I wonder how often he gets tested... he's likely had it for a while. That's a pretty hazardous work environment right now.
Old 10-10-20, 07:44 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Quoted: 4365 Post(s)
Liked 3,001 Times in 1,854 Posts
Old 10-10-20, 10:13 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
Surely they test all members of the teams daily right? and I mean everyone from director to chef as as well as the riders of course
Old 10-11-20, 01:16 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
i blame slcbob. mrs. slcbob wuz right. poor lad(s).
Likes For diphthong:
Old 10-11-20, 07:56 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
Surely they test all members of the teams daily right? and I mean everyone from director to chef as as well as the riders of course
Once a week on the rest days unless requested
https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/veg...italia-bubble/
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 10-11-20, 10:27 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

I think it was symptoms that prompted his early testing. I suppose this was after stage 7 and before 8. Though I don't know that they've said whether it was a rapid test or one that took more time for a result.

Of course then you get into the question of did they do more tests to verify the first result? All sorts of gee-whiz info I'm curious about but maybe for privacy not entitled to know.
Old 10-11-20, 10:38 AM
MinnMan

Originally Posted by Iride01
I think it was symptoms that prompted his early testing. I suppose this was after stage 7 and before 8. Though I don't know that they've said whether it was a rapid test or one that took more time for a result.

Of course then you get into the question of did they do more tests to verify the first result? All sorts of gee-whiz info I'm curious about but maybe for privacy not entitled to know.
The article that I linked above spells all this out. He had a headache, they did a rapid test that was positive, and they followed up with PCR.
Old 10-11-20, 10:50 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

@MinnMan........ yeah, I found that out post posting <grin>
Old 10-14-20, 02:53 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
During the stage 10 commentary, they reported that some insiders said crews and some racers have been more lax in hygienic precautions during the Giro, compared with the TdF.

But it's inevitable that more racers will test positive as the year drags on. They'll probably be fine and most will probably be asymptomatic. But it's a demonstration of how easily pathogens can spread, even with reasonable precautions. And the real victims will be someone downstream in the contact chain -- older and/or disabled family and friends of the racers and team members.

That may be why Lawson Craddock dropped out of the Giro -- out of concern for his family, as he and his wife are expecting another child soon. He's been pretty vocal about safety and health considerations for racers in other races, and critical of the UCI's neglect.
Old 10-14-20, 08:33 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Some point the finger at hotels used by riders and their teams. Are Italian hotels different than those in France? Or were hotels for the TdF exclusive for riders and teams only?

https://www.velonews.com/events/giro...id-19-defense/
Old 10-16-20, 12:20 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Some point the finger at hotels used by riders and their teams. Are Italian hotels different than those in France? Or were hotels for the TdF exclusive for riders and teams only?

https://www.velonews.com/events/giro...id-19-defense/
TdF organizers required that hotels have specific wings set aside for the teams, and dedicated eating areas. Teams would send crews ahead to sterilize the areas. That sounds like a far cry from the Giro situation.
https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/...tour-de-france
Likes For gsa103:
Old 10-16-20, 05:08 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,089 Times in 637 Posts
Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
Not certain. Seems like in the Tour, tests were made on, or going into the rest days.
Old 10-19-20, 04:06 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Considering there is decent evidence that you can spread COVID several days before a test is even able to detect it....
Can you show us that evidence - esp. in <30 year olds - you know, GT kinda folks.

Let us not forget a year ago the winner was emptying his bowls at the side of the road. No big deal then, right? This is a far lessor issue at this age.
Old 10-19-20, 05:35 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by Doge
Can you show us that evidence - esp. in <30 year olds - you know, GT kinda folks.

Let us not forget a year ago the winner was emptying his bowls at the side of the road. No big deal then, right? This is a far lessor issue at this age.
I can't but there are several people I'd trust that said it. And of course I don't know if they were talking about the PCR test or others. Don't remember who exactly it was, but it wasn't the crazy off the wall loons that think we'll get herd immunity.

But for any to think that he couldn't spread it until he tested positive is just sticking your head in the sand. And we don't know that he wouldn't have tested positive the day after his previous test.

Most every credible source I've read says you can be passing COVID well before any symptoms show up.

I have no idea where you want to go with this..................
Let us not forget a year ago the winner was emptying his bowls at the side of the road. No big deal then, right?
And what's your point with this?
This is a far lessor issue at this age
Still, people in his age group have died and others have had all the various post recovery ills that other age groups have. I'll agree he is in the age group that seems to have less of all the bad. But still an infected person no matter their age seem to be able to spread it to others no matter the age of the others. It's not like it will only go from a 28 yo to a 28 yo.
Old 10-19-20, 05:46 PM
Doge

I have no idea where you want to go with this...
You made a statement I do not know to be true. I will typically ask for verification from bike parts to power to health. I consider what you said not true until I see that it is. I have no data.

And what's your point with this?
That it is something that does not need a change in behavior. If Simon felt OK riding, he should have kept riding. We did not hear he felt sick. So a major GC contender was knocked out over a test that has shown to mean very little to this age group with likely no other conditions. He was denied an opportunity.

Still, people in his age group have died and others have had all the various post recovery ills that other age groups have. I'll agree he is in the age group that seems to have less of all the bad. But still an infected person no matter their age seem to be able to spread it to others no matter the age of the others. It's not like it will only go from a 28 yo to a 28 yo.
They spread it if riding, or not riding. We should know that by now. At this age, riding with others his age, it is likely safer for all he just keep racing. I mean if he were going to be truly isolated, which turns out - nobody does, that would be different. He's fine, the other racers are fine. At this age is it even a fraction of the deaths from the flu or food poisonings? Which is why I mentioned last year's winner. So he'll be in the open population, most likely exposing older folks. Again, not that high of a risk to anyone, but higher than exposing WT riders who likely can shake this off with barely a runny nose.

Last edited by Doge; 10-19-20 at 05:51 PM.
Old 10-19-20, 05:59 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

That it is something that does not need a change in behavior. If Simon felt OK riding, he should have kept riding.
So we should allow those that test positive just circulate around everyone else that has not tested positive?

I guess that's one way to go about it. Just get everybody infected. Let those that are going to die, die. Might happen no matter what we do, but even so, one of the issues is keeping the rate of infection low enough that we don't overwhelm our healthcare system and not be able to take care of those with other problems.

Be pretty sad for people to die of other issues because the ER's and other medical facilities are overwhelmed with COVID patients because we didn't try to slow down the rate of infection.
Old 10-19-20, 06:14 PM
Doge

So we should allow those that test positive just circulate around everyone else that has not tested positive?
That is what they just did vs having them live the mostly isolated racer life.
I guess that's one way to go about it. Just get everybody infected. Let those that are going to die, die. Might happen no matter what we do, but even so, one of the issues is keeping the rate of infection low enough that we don't overwhelm our healthcare system and not be able to take care of those with other problems.
I know the USA numbers, and CA numbers much more, but for this virus - absolutely. WHO says 10% of the folks have it, so naturally a lot who die, die with it. In the USA, CDC says only 6% had only "it" and on average had 3.6 conditions.

So when we get to 20 year old super fit males - better keep them racing each other than putting them back in the population. And we never made them quit when sick before, for worse, so why now?

ER's and other medical facilities are overwhelmed with COVID patients because we didn't try to slow down the rate of infection.
You can find that data for me too. No ER's are overwhelmed anywhere in the world from COVID. My wife's hospital averages 10 patients a day. WHO reports Italy had 69 die yesterday. I doubt they had, nor were exposed by those riding Grand Tours. But, as WHO reports 40million already have it, I don't think Yates racing is that much of a risk to anyone.
Old 10-19-20, 07:27 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Originally Posted by OBoile
It certainly explains his poor performance. I wonder how often he gets tested... he's likely had it for a while. That's a pretty hazardous work environment right now.
Not sold on this as an excuse.

The brothers are definitely solid riders, but they aren't cut from GT winner cloth, imo. Yes, on any given day, or during any given week they can vex the best, but let's be realistic about their capacity.
Old 10-19-20, 07:33 PM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
Not sold on this as an excuse.

The brothers are definitely solid riders, but they aren't cut from GT winner cloth, imo. Yes, on any given day, or during any given week they can vex the best, but let's be realistic about their capacity.
Really? Simon won a grand tour in 2018. I'm not sure how you can say he isn't the type that could win. Particularly since this field wasn't exactly full of elite riders.
Furthermore, he was getting dropped early when many non-elite climbers were still at the front.
Old 10-19-20, 07:36 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

So when we get to 20 year old super fit males - better keep them racing each other than putting them back in the population. And we never made them quit when sick before, for worse, so why now?
Rather un-thought-through statement, imo. First-off he's a lot closer to 30 than 20. Second, whatever the measured transmission rate it, the virus has the capacity to adversely affect pulminary and cardio capacity. Even a 2 - 3% hit to either can ruin a career for a pro cyclist. Sucks that he got it. Right move for his team to pull the plug, imo. If the rest of their squad contracts it, it's a huge blow to several other athletes.

"Putting them back in the population" - where'd this come from? Not what's going to happen. Proper quarantining and follow-up testing are most assuredly the protocol that's being followed.
Old 10-19-20, 07:43 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Originally Posted by OBoile
Really? Simon won a grand tour in 2018. I'm not sure how you can say he isn't the type that could win. Particularly since this field wasn't exactly full of elite riders.
Furthermore, he was getting dropped early when many non-elite climbers were still at the front.
The 2018 Vuelta field was even weaker, imo. Lightning struck. He's a better rider than Periero, but I'd have put money on Sastre over him. All this said, I don't wish him ill. He definitely has the capacity to liven up any multi-day race he enters.
Old 10-19-20, 08:16 PM
Doge

Rather un-thought-through statement, imo. First-off he's a lot closer to 30 than 20.
OK - USA numbers which are higher reported deaths than Italy have 25-35 year old male deaths at 10 for the week of Oct 10th out of a population 23 million. That is "WITH" COVID-19 with an average of 3.6 condition, and total average of 6% have only COVID-19 so average would be about 1 death per week out of 23M in the USA. And Italy is better.

Second, whatever the measured transmission rate it, the virus has the capacity to adversely affect pulminary and cardio capacity. Even a 2 - 3% hit to either can ruin a career for a pro cyclist. Sucks that he got it. Right move for his team to pull the plug, imo. If the rest of their squad contracts it, it's a huge blow to several other athletes.
That I do not know, but is it worse racing than not racing? As mentioned, last year's winner and lots of riders race sick, and always have.

"Putting them back in the population" - where'd this come from? Not what's going to happen. Proper quarantining and follow-up testing are most assuredly the protocol that's being followed.
I expect he is now in a more vulnerable population than he was. As a racer he is watched and with others <35 with most likely no other conditions.

For COVID-19, without symptoms, I have not seen any real data showing it is a problem. That is the thought out part of my original reply. Show me the data that indicates an asymptomatic 20 something is a risk to other 20 somethings who have no other conditions. I think we are looking at rates way below typical racer sickness. Pull them out of races and put them with the general population and risk of exposure to others is higher. I've been around enough of this profile not to think they really isolate.
Old 10-19-20, 08:17 PM
MinnMan

Rather un-thought-through statement, imo. First-off he's a lot closer to 30 than 20. Second, whatever the measured transmission rate it, the virus has the capacity to adversely affect pulminary and cardio capacity. Even a 2 - 3% hit to either can ruin a career for a pro cyclist. Sucks that he got it. Right move for his team to pull the plug, imo. If the rest of their squad contracts it, it's a huge blow to several other athletes.

I respect Doge for his knowledge about racing, but in other threads it's been evident that science is not his strong point. Whether or not that's also true about medicine, some of the points raised here don't belong in this forum, but are more suitable for the Lounge, IMHO.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.