Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Has anyone owned a Windsor Professional?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-17, 11:39 AM
sloar 

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1212 Post(s)
Liked 1,128 Times in 427 Posts

Just curious how the ride quality is. And if it's worth building up with full Campy as a rider. I can't find a whole lot of info on them. Thanks
Old 07-25-17, 12:01 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 280 Post(s)
Quoted: 2198 Post(s)
Liked 4,600 Times in 1,764 Posts
Nope. Never even seen one other than on the 'net. But they look so nice I'm subscribing anyway, if you don't mind.

Old 07-25-17, 12:20 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
I have often wondered about ride quality, myself. And while thinking about that, the low prices the bikes fetch for similar steeds makes me wonder more. If you are thinking of trying one out, go for it and let us know. It would be an interesting project.

As for full Campy, I would wonder why? Did the Windsor Pro not come fitted with Suntour trans and other non-Campy components? Anyway, just wondering.
Old 07-25-17, 12:29 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
There was an orange one with full-campy at Bob Freeman's vintage show this past weekend. Didn't get a pic of it, but did pick it up and found it surprisingly light. Workmanship was pretty nice, too. Full Reynolds 531, so I would imagine it has nice manners on the road, too.

DD
Old 07-25-17, 01:20 PM
cdmurphy

Bikes: Too many, but sometimes not enough.

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
As far as I know, the Windsor Profesionals (yes, one "s", it's from Mexico) came stock with full Campagnolo Record, other than the brakes, which were Universal side pulls. Also, they were all Columbus Sl/SP tubing. They did make cheaper frames from Japanese tubing, but not the Profesional. They did sell them as framesets, so Suntour or Shimano wouldn't be out of place either.

They're not nearly as valuable as the Cinelli Super Corsas they are copies of, and have a reputation of being kind of heavy and dead riding. I'm not sure how fair that is, as there was a recent thread over on Classic Rendezvous where someone had both a Windsor Pro, and a Cinelli in the same size. They did some back to back riding, and it basically came down to the wheelset. With the light sewups, they were indistinguishable over the ~15 mile course.

Also, there have been reports of questionable brazing on some of the Windsors. Apparently, the nice ones are pretty nice, but they produced some that weren't so nicely finished or put together. I wouldn't buy one sight unseen, but a nice one should make a great bike, just don't expect it to be worth a bunch. They were sort of the 70s version of a cheap Chinese knockoff, so no matter how nice they were, that stigma has kept the prices low.
Old 07-25-17, 01:30 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Funny thing is the stigma is new. Perhaps it varied by area. I remember Windsor having a good reputation. I was pointed towards Windsor or Motobecane as very good production bikes when I was a kid looking for my first good 10 speed bike. (by an experienced racing cylist)
Old 07-25-17, 01:32 PM
cdmurphy

I did purchase this Carabela Profesional featured in this thread last week: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...ofesional.html

Carabela was a sister brand to Windsor - both made in Mexico by Acer-mex. My new bike is identical to a Windsor Profesional, other than being decked out in black first gen Dura Ace, rather than Campy Record.

I haven't ridden it yet, but I hope to have some impressions within a week or two. (Bearings need overhauling, and a shorter stem)

Last edited by cdmurphy; 07-25-17 at 02:38 PM.
Old 07-25-17, 02:20 PM
sloar 

This is the one I own, I haven't got around to building it yet. I have a complete Nuovo Record group, including cable clamps ,high flange hubs, new Brooks and Cinelli bars and stem. I just don't want to waste my time building on an unworthy frame. I've been setting on the parts for the right frame and I stumbled on this frame at a garage sale.

Old 07-25-17, 02:35 PM
cdmurphy

Originally Posted by sloar
This is the one I own, I haven't got around to building it yet. I have a complete Nuovo Record group, including cable clamps ,high flange hubs, new Brooks and Cinelli bars and stem. I just don't want to waste my time building on an unworthy frame. I've been setting on the parts for the right frame and I stumbled on this frame at a garage sale.
As long as your frame appears to be brazed solidly, I suspect it will ride just fine, especially with nice tires. Whether it will be "worth" putting your Campy group on there, I don't know. Plenty of Windsor Pros were bought just to strip the parts from them, as you could buy the whole bike for slightly less than the Campy group on it's own back in the 70s. That's one of the reasons why so many are floating around with Suntour or Shimano groups. From what I've seen, clean Windsor Pros seem to go for between $500-800, depending on size, condition, phase of the moon, etc. Not chump change, but a significant discount from many Nuovo Record equipped bikes. There's some talk of the tubing being a grade heavier than was common on Italian race bikes, so it may be a bit stiffer. Probably a good thing for a powerful sprinter type, maybe not so good for all day riding at more relaxed paces.

I'll be sure to update this thread in a few weeks when I've had some experience with my Carabela.
Likes For cdmurphy:
Old 07-25-17, 03:12 PM
AZORCH

Bikes: 1966 Paramount | 1971 Raleigh International | ca. 1970 Bernard Carre | 1989 Waterford Paramount | 2012 Boulder Brevet | 2019 Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 40 Posts
A guy near my school had an incredibly, unbelievably beat up one for a while. He's a stunt bike enthusiast, and the only interest he had in it was that it had two wheels. I think it wound up getting parted out on the 'bay. He offered it to me four or five years ago for way more than I was interested in dropping on it, and I haven't seen him at any swaps since then.
Old 07-25-17, 05:39 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by sloar
Of course it is worthy. It's a very cool looking Columbus frame with chrome lugs. Workmanship on the few I've seen was typical of production racing bikes of the time. Certainly better than most PX-10s, but not as good as a 70s Masi or Cinelli. I don't know what the geometry is but I'd guess it used the typical road race geometry of the time, ie, 73º parallel with mid length chainstays.

If you're asking about market value and whether it is worth less than some other bikes because of contemporary perception, I can't say.
Old 07-25-17, 06:27 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
yep, bought mine new in 1980

Yes, I have one. Bought it new in 1980 ($600) and still ride it today as my main road bike. Columbus SL 2x tubing, Campy Record throughout, including brakes. Cinelli stem and bars. 60cm frame, runs about 21.5 pounds. Rides/handles very well...very comfortable bike. I've heard people talk about "road buzz" with newer bikes & honestly don't know what that is. My bike rides dead quiet. Though some guy on some fancy new ride went by me last year and his bike sounded like he had playing cards whirring on his front spokes..so I suppose that must be it. That kind of noise would drive me batty..couldn't ride a bike like that.

Other Windsor discussions:

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...r-bikes-2.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...hing-else.html

Last edited by fishboat; 07-26-17 at 05:22 AM. Reason: add pics & price
Old 07-25-17, 08:03 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26411 Post(s)
Liked 10,376 Times in 7,204 Posts
I have two of them. They both ride very nicely.

...about what you'd expect from a Columbus frame of that era. I don't get the prejudice. While it's true that there are some skills required to braze up a bike frame from high quality tubing, it appears that the guys in the Windsor facilities in Mexico learned them well enough.

I'm not certain what full Campy has to do with ride quality, unless you're thinking it's a lot of trouble if you decide not to keep it. The early ones came with Universal brakes, if that's important to you.

I would not categorize a Windsor Pro (IME) as any better or worse than a comparable Italian frame of that era.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Windsor Professional 001.jpg (98.1 KB, 631 views)
Old 07-25-17, 09:43 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,131 Posts
I'll agree with @3alarmer. I restored/repainted one and enjoyed riding it. No bad habits, nice ride.

Brent
Old 07-25-17, 11:55 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 787 Posts
i had one just long enough to ride it before cleaning it to flip. I was very impressed with the ride quality but I chalk that up to a really good wheel set with tubular tires. I bought it cheap and sold it cheap but i think the buyer got a 'sleeper'! They are no Cinelli but a good one in good shape is nothing to sniff at if the price is right.
Old 07-26-17, 05:19 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...While it's true that there are some skills required to braze up a bike frame from high quality tubing, it appears that the guys in the Windsor facilities in Mexico learned them well enough.
I had heard back when I bought mine (1980) that a builder from Cinelli left Cinelli to work for Windsor in Mexico. No idea if this is true.
Likes For fishboat:
Old 07-26-17, 06:03 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
I've never owned one but as a former LBS employee and manger during the boom, I had the opportunity to test ride a lot of bicycles and when something like a Windsor Professional came through the shop there was always an excuse to test ride it, provided it was close to your size. It's hard to recall all the details but I was suitably impressed at the time and it was well deserving of the Campagnolo (Nuovo) Record group.

The gentleman who originally built them was Remo Vecchi, who had worked for Cinelli for two decades before being lured away be Acer-Mex. I don't know if he built all of them. They became quite a popular model circa 1975, so he may well have had assistants performing at least some of the operations.

Last edited by T-Mar; 07-26-17 at 06:07 AM.
Old 07-26-17, 06:40 AM
satbuilder 

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 195 Times in 102 Posts
There was a thread on the CR list a few months ago about a comparison between the Windsor Pro and the Cinelli SC. If I recall correctly, it was about even, from ride quality perspective. But don't quote me on that.

EDIT: Here's a comparison: Courtesy of the CR list and Chris Wiscavage.

It is a favorable afternoon for the Windsor v Cinelli road tests.
First, both bikes are exactly the same size. They are both equipped with full Campy NR groups. I used the same wheels on both bikes. The Cinelli weighs 21.53 lbs, precisely a pound less than the Windsor. The weight difference can be accounted for by the heavier pedals, stem and saddle on the Windsor.
The road test was an out and back course, a couple of miles each way flat except for a highway/rail overpass. The pavement was smooth to slightly broken asphalt, with lots of roadside debris to rattle over for extra vibration testing, speed between 15-25 mph.
The results...
In my opinion, they're nearly indistinguishable from each other. I rode each bike several times, alternating bikes each round. The road feel and handling are very much the same, in the saddle or out. On each bike I found myself saying that I could ride all day on this bike, a long day would be a pleasure.
The biggest difference?....The traffic lights all turned green for the Cinelli, every time. That fact alone might add a considerable amount of value to the Cinelli.
As for the Windsor, I'm going to stop putting crappy wheels and tires on it and go have some fun with it. It'll be a perfect Eroica bike.

Last edited by satbuilder; 07-26-17 at 06:45 AM.
Likes For satbuilder:
Old 07-26-17, 07:51 AM
sloar 

Now I'm curious, I'll give a ride report in a few days. Thanks for all the great replies.
Old 07-26-17, 08:46 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
Blast to the past! As as lifelong southern Californian, I saw a fair number of Windsors in the 1970s. The Pros were always considered decent, albeit a cut below the big Italian names in status. I have not come across a Windsor in a long time -- thanks for posting!
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 07-26-17, 10:55 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by obrentharris
I'll agree with @3alarmer. I restored/repainted one and enjoyed riding it. No bad habits, nice ride.

Brent
Beauty! Interesting to note that the fork rake and chainstay length seem quite different from those of @3alarmer's two bikes.

DD
Old 07-26-17, 11:04 AM
Slash5

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by fishboat
Yes, I have one. Bought it new in 1980 ($600) and still ride it today as my main road bike. Columbus SL 2x tubing, Campy Record throughout, including brakes. Cinelli stem and bars. 60cm frame, runs about 21.5 pounds.
What a difference - my hi-ten Windsor is 27.6 lbs.

Old 07-26-17, 07:56 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,131 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
Beauty! Interesting to note that the fork rake and chainstay length seem quite different from those of @3alarmer's two bikes.

DD
Very interesting observation, especially since the bikes are all similar size; so not attributable to different geometry for different sizes.
Brent
Old 07-26-17, 09:11 PM
Wulf

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
I bought one as a second hand frameset in 1977 from a bike shop in Norman Ok. I had it built up with Universal brakes, Campy derailleurs, Sugino Mighty crankset, Cinelli bars and stem, Unicanitor seat and NR seatpost. Phil Wood hubs, fiamme red label rims 3star spokes and Clement tires. I really liked that bike and rode it until 84 when I got my Batavus Pro.
Old 07-27-17, 10:53 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,374 Times in 1,580 Posts
just in case it adds a bit of info on the Windsor Pro, or just in case you forgot what Bicycling magazine was like in the 70's, here's a road test of the Windsor Profesional from the October 1975 issue of Bicycling..

Steve in Peoria

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.