Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Ready for shakedown Ride...

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-16, 08:02 PM
36Oly_Rider

Bikes: Black Beauty; The Lone Ranger; Samsquantch

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

As soon as the weather passes, but, here it is...Built up and rideable...I used the Jagwire Elite Link cable for shifting under the bar tape...With the indexing, it is smooth as butter, expensive, but I didn't want issue with kinking due to shallower drop bars. The pedals are Crank Bros, wide and light. But anyway, at least its built up and 98% done. Fenders and wire the light up next.

I think with the red bar tape, I shall call it Kemo-Sahbee, aka the Lone Ranger, haha!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0955.jpg (91.2 KB, 140 views)
IMG_0956.jpg (99.0 KB, 104 views)
IMG_0957.jpg (90.2 KB, 89 views)
IMG_0958.jpg (96.5 KB, 93 views)
IMG_0959.jpg (90.9 KB, 93 views)
Old 03-11-16, 08:53 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
How did you plug in those sidewalls
Old 03-11-16, 09:44 PM
36Oly_Rider

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
USB, of course, hahaha!
Old 03-12-16, 01:38 AM
sjt78

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very nice looking and smart build. It makes me want to try those Elite Link cables. I like the 10s XT crank with the chain guard, where did you find that?
Old 03-12-16, 01:49 AM
azza_333

Bikes: A few

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Is that the Sutra LTD frame?
Old 03-12-16, 02:27 AM
36Oly_Rider

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sjt78
Very nice looking and smart build. It makes me want to try those Elite Link cables. I like the 10s XT crank with the chain guard, where did you find that?
The cranks were ordered from Rose Bikes in Germany. They are the Shimano XT 48-36-26 Touring cranks not available in the U.S. (only European market).

Originally Posted by azza_333
Is that the Sutra LTD frame?
Yes. Ordered it late September 2015 and got it 4 months later. It was a super long wait, but well worth it. I think I probably put the most thought into this one bike than my other bikes. Definitely made me happy to see it built up, finally. I was going to get the stock green one, but after I saw the LTD, I was sold on it...
Old 03-12-16, 03:46 AM
azza_333

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 36Oly_Rider
The cranks were ordered from Rose Bikes in Germany. They are the Shimano XT 48-36-26 Touring cranks not available in the U.S. (only European market).

Yes. Ordered it late September 2015 and got it 4 months later. It was a super long wait, but well worth it. I think I probably put the most thought into this one bike than my other bikes. Definitely made me happy to see it built up, finally. I was going to get the stock green one, but after I saw the LTD, I was sold on it...
What brakes and group set components did you uses, and what bar ends?
Old 03-12-16, 01:08 PM
36Oly_Rider

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
What brakes and group set components did you uses, and what bar ends?
The brakes are TRP Spyres and TRP RRL levers. Group set components are all Shimano Deore XT. Cranks are the FC-T781, Front Derailleur is the FD-T781 3x10 Dual Pull, the rear derailleur is the RD-M786 SGS Shadow+. Cassette is the an older 11-36 XT 10-speed. Cost just as much as newer 10 speed SLX, but same overall and the XT was in stock at the LBS. I try to support the LBS as much as possible when ordering stuff, especially things that I'm not sure of, but I have to admit, the Front derailleur is a touring model I found on AMAZON, a well as the levers and the shifters...oh, and they are the microShift BS-M10. The Bars are a new set of Salsa Cowbell 3 I found on Craigslist. Guy bought them online and they were too narrow for him so I bought them as they were my size, so no wait there...

I was pretty paranoid about the chain (HG-95 116 Link) being too short with the stays as long as they were, but using the magic formula (Chain stay length * 2 + Big Ring / 4 + Big Cog / 4 + 1 = Chain length. So 17.5(2)+48/4+36/4+1 gave me 57 inches which actually measured out to taking off 1 set of links, one inside and one outside.) My hope is to utilize the rear derailleur clutch to minimize chain slap on rougher roads/trails.

Oh, and for the brakes, I initially ordered both 160mm rotors, but my wheels are the Velocity Cliffhangers and the 160's on the front caused the brake arm to tap the spokes so had to go with a 180mm rotor on the front.

Last edited by 36Oly_Rider; 03-12-16 at 01:16 PM.
Old 03-12-16, 10:34 PM
azza_333

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The brakes are TRP Spyres and TRP RRL levers. Group set components are all Shimano Deore XT. Cranks are the FC-T781, Front Derailleur is the FD-T781 3x10 Dual Pull, the rear derailleur is the RD-M786 SGS Shadow+. Cassette is the an older 11-36 XT 10-speed. Cost just as much as newer 10 speed SLX, but same overall and the XT was in stock at the LBS. I try to support the LBS as much as possible when ordering stuff, especially things that I'm not sure of, but I have to admit, the Front derailleur is a touring model I found on AMAZON, a well as the levers and the shifters...oh, and they are the microShift BS-M10. The Bars are a new set of Salsa Cowbell 3 I found on Craigslist. Guy bought them online and they were too narrow for him so I bought them as they were my size, so no wait there...

I was pretty paranoid about the chain (HG-95 116 Link) being too short with the stays as long as they were, but using the magic formula (Chain stay length * 2 + Big Ring / 4 + Big Cog / 4 + 1 = Chain length. So 17.5(2)+48/4+36/4+1 gave me 57 inches which actually measured out to taking off 1 set of links, one inside and one outside.) My hope is to utilize the rear derailleur clutch to minimize chain slap on rougher roads/trails.

Oh, and for the brakes, I initially ordered both 160mm rotors, but my wheels are the Velocity Cliffhangers and the 160's on the front caused the brake arm to tap the spokes so had to go with a 180mm rotor on the front.
I am assuming your front derailleur is controlled by friction shifting and the rear indexed. If this is the case does it shift perfectly with the bar ends or is it a case of close enough is good enough?
Old 03-12-16, 10:48 PM
Slowhead

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice build, well done.
Old 03-13-16, 08:54 AM
36Oly_Rider

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I am assuming your front derailleur is controlled by friction shifting and the rear indexed. If this is the case does it shift perfectly with the bar ends or is it a case of close enough is good enough?
You are correct, friction in the front, indexed in the rear. With the bar ends that I have, it indexes smoothly with the derailleur. I think that paired with the linked cable housing, it allows for it to operate as nicely as it does, however, I'm pretty sure that there is some aspects of doing it this way has its own disadvantages. I would like to think it as perfect, but perfection is an opinion, nothing more. They do what their suppose to, as advertised and I will recommend them if you are using a Dynasys 10 speed derailleur. I really can't speak for the road version, but I'm sure they will operates just as well.

Originally Posted by Slowhead
Nice build, well done.
Thanks!
Old 03-13-16, 07:47 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4359 Post(s)
Liked 3,999 Times in 2,668 Posts
Not a bad build. I would have changed a few things here and there but all in all I can dig it. Some similar parts and styling to my build which I like (it means people are also doing their homework and getting good shiz). I cannot wait to finish my bike which is now in the cabling stages (Compressionless brake housing is a pain in the butt to work with, oy vey).

Enjoy the first shakedown and many happy rides after that.
Old 03-16-16, 07:10 AM
azza_333

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You are correct, friction in the front, indexed in the rear. With the bar ends that I have, it indexes smoothly with the derailleur. I think that paired with the linked cable housing, it allows for it to operate as nicely as it does, however, I'm pretty sure that there is some aspects of doing it this way has its own disadvantages. I would like to think it as perfect, but perfection is an opinion, nothing more. They do what their suppose to, as advertised and I will recommend them if you are using a Dynasys 10 speed derailleur. I really can't speak for the road version, but I'm sure they will operates just as well.

Thanks!
When you purchased the frame did it come with, headset, bottom bracket, seat post, seat post clamp, stem handle bars, stem? or is it just the frame and fork?
Old 03-17-16, 10:02 PM
36Oly_Rider

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
When you purchased the frame did it come with, headset, bottom bracket, seat post, seat post clamp, stem handle bars, stem? or is it just the frame and fork?
It came with a seatpost clamp. Other than that just frame and fork. The BB will usually come with the crankset you choose, and its 73mm not 68...found that out the hard way. A pair of calipers come in handy, haha....Seatpost is 21.8 and 1-1/8inch threadless headset of your liking will work just dandy.
Old 03-17-16, 11:51 PM
azza_333

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It came with a seatpost clamp. Other than that just frame and fork. The BB will usually come with the crankset you choose, and its 73mm not 68...found that out the hard way. A pair of calipers come in handy, haha....Seatpost is 21.8 and 1-1/8inch threadless headset of your liking will work just dandy.
Wicked thanks for letting me know, I ask because I am looking into building up something fairly similar to yours 10 speed XT triple, for road and light gravel touring, but maybe with a SON28 dynamo hub.
Old 04-21-16, 05:10 PM
iosif

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lovely bike!
I'm considering this frameset too, but wonder if it require such narrow seatpost?

Last edited by iosif; 04-21-16 at 05:31 PM.
Old 04-22-16, 09:34 AM
1855Cru

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Diverge Comp Carbon, 2011 Cervelo R3, 2011 Trek 2.1, 2011 Trek X-Caliber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is there any difference between the Sutra LTD frame and the regular Sutra frame aside from the color?
Old 04-22-16, 06:31 PM
azza_333

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 1855Cru
Is there any difference between the Sutra LTD frame and the regular Sutra frame aside from the color?
No. they are the same.