Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Removing factory grease from new chain

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-23, 10:10 AM
Carnmore

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

For a new Shimano chain, which has not been fitted, what is the best way of degreasing it?

I use 50:50 diluted No Nonsense degreaser for maintenance degreasing.

EDIT: Will be using Squirt e-bike chain wax https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B083V6R9...roduct_details

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Carnmore; 11-03-23 at 10:24 AM.
Old 11-02-23, 10:14 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
some people are swearing by Silca chain stripper.....right now it is $31 a bottle on Amazon prime....not cheap but I guess it works and one bottle is good for 16 chains so less than $2 to clean a chain.....I am going to give it a try, as I have spent more money on worse things..
Likes For jadmt:
Old 11-02-23, 10:14 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
Are you planning on waxing the chain? If not there is no real need to remove the factory grease.
Old 11-02-23, 10:15 AM
randallr

Bikes: 2017 Gunnar CrossHairs Rohloff, 2022 Detroit Bikes Cortello

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 89 Posts
I think most of us would just fit it to the bike as is, with the factory lubrication, then clean it and lubricate it after it gets to the point it needs cleaning.
Old 11-02-23, 10:32 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 849 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
Are you planning on waxing the chain? If not there is no real need to remove the factory grease.
according to zero friction cycling a shimano chain last longer if completely stripped of the factory lube before lubing because the factory lube actually prevents high end lubes from bonding to your chain.
Old 11-02-23, 10:33 AM
Carnmore

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
According to the Squirt e-bike chain wax manufacturer, factory grease needs to be removed prior to use.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B083V6R9...roduct_details
Old 11-02-23, 10:48 AM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
I remove the sticky factory coating. I find it’s stickiness attracts dirt and repels what I put on.
Likes For Ghazmh:
Old 11-02-23, 10:55 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,219 Times in 2,366 Posts
Originally Posted by jadmt
according to zero friction cycling a shimano chain last longer if completely stripped of the factory lube before lubing because the factory lube actually prevents high end lubes from bonding to your chain.
And that is a stupid statement. The “factory lube” is a wax. The wax being by wax being used to lubricate used in most cases is still a “wax”. “Like dissolves like” is something that chemist use to decide if one compound will dissolve another compound. It is usually used in the context of polar vs nonpolar materials but, in this case, they are the same material that differs only in molecular size and “like dissolve like” is even more applicable.

The factory lube doesn’t prevent lubricants from “bonding” to the chain mostly because the lubricant doesn’t “bond” in any way at all. There is no chemical reaction between the metal and the lubricant of any kind. There is a physical adherence but having something else on the chain doesn’t interfere with that adherence if the two lubricants being used as similar in properties which most are.

There are reasons to strip the factory lubricant off, however. Squirt, being water/surfactant based wax, is not likely compatible with the factory lube. The surfactant modifies the properties of the wax in the mixture but it doesn’t have enough dissolving power to modify the factory lubricant on the chain so it would sit on top of the factory lube and be ineffective. I remove factory lube prior to using White Lightning because leaving the factory lube in place results in a much dirtier chain than if I remove it. But I’m not removing the factory lubricant to enhance “bonding” that doesn’t exist in the first place.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 11-02-23, 10:58 AM
Carnmore

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Back to original question:

Method and can No Nonsense degreaser be used?
Old 11-02-23, 11:00 AM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by Carnmore
According to the Squirt e-bike chain wax manufacturer, factory grease needs to be removed prior to use.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B083V6R9...roduct_details
Yes, it should for that particular wax suspension as detailed above. The best way to remove the factory lube is mineral spirits. You don’t need some elaborate cleaning procedure nor multiple steps with multiple solvents. Shake the chain vigorously with about a cup of mineral spirits in an 12 fluid oz Gatorade bottle (or similar) until your arm gets tired…my arm gives out around 30 seconds…then pull it out to let the mineral spirits evaporate. If you are doing anymore than that, you are just wasting your time.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 11-02-23, 11:11 AM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by Carnmore
Back to original question:

Method and can No Nonsense degreaser be used?
Yes, you can but you have to do more steps. You need to use the degreaser, use water remove the degreaser, then use something to remove the water to reduce rust formation, and the let the chain dry to remove the water chaser. Mineral spirits gets ride of all the middle steps and jumps to just letting the chain dry.

On the environmental front, mineral spirits requires less material so there is less waste. Technically, the degreaser, water, and the water chaser are hazardous waste and really should be treated as such.

Also, it appears that No Nonsense is a UK product. If you are in the UK, “mineral spirits” is known as white spirits

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 11-02-23, 12:00 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 746 Posts
And with White Spirit/Odorless Mineral Spirts you can save the used Spirits as most types of gunk will settle to the bottom of the container after a few days and use it over and over again. A great degreaser and doesn't harm most things on a bicycle. Just don't use it on braking surfaces without using another cleaner afterwards as it can leave a slippery surface for a while.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 11-02-23, 01:11 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
" i made my $30 chain last 500 more miles and i only expended $50 and Dozens of hours doing so!!!"

smh... 11 posts in 2 hours... on a subject previously discussed to death, MULTIPLE times.... seriously.

at this rate, this thread might break 100 by the 11 o'clock news... above ^ is my contri!
Likes For maddog34:
Old 11-02-23, 01:19 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 1,563 Times in 1,026 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
And that is a stupid statement. The “factory lube” is a wax. The wax being by wax being used to lubricate used in most cases is still a “wax”. “Like dissolves like” is something that chemist use to decide if one compound will dissolve another compound. It is usually used in the context of polar vs nonpolar materials but, in this case, they are the same material that differs only in molecular size and “like dissolve like” is even more applicable.

The factory lube doesn’t prevent lubricants from “bonding” to the chain mostly because the lubricant doesn’t “bond” in any way at all. There is no chemical reaction between the metal and the lubricant of any kind. There is a physical adherence but having something else on the chain doesn’t interfere with that adherence if the two lubricants being used as similar in properties which most are.

There are reasons to strip the factory lubricant off, however. Squirt, being water/surfactant based wax, is not likely compatible with the factory lube. The surfactant modifies the properties of the wax in the mixture but it doesn’t have enough dissolving power to modify the factory lubricant on the chain so it would sit on top of the factory lube and be ineffective. I remove factory lube prior to using White Lightning because leaving the factory lube in place results in a much dirtier chain than if I remove it. But I’m not removing the factory lubricant to enhance “bonding” that doesn’t exist in the first place.
This is a stupid and long statement considering that the chain comes with something like heavy oil that prevents dry wax from sticking.

"Bond" means things other than chemical reactions, including sticking.

OP, I like citrus solvent. Rinse off with water and dry with compressed air.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 11-02-23, 01:26 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
You could also just take a rag with virtually any light lube on it and wipe the chain to get rid of the sticky waxy grease on the outside. WD-40 has mineral spirits for much of it's make up... IIRC. Though it's an expensive way to get mineral spirits, it's frequently more handy a the house than is straight mineral spirits since I no longer do a lot of painting with oil based paints.

If you are bound and determined to remove the waxy grease from the places on the chain you can't get too, then mineral spirits would also still be the choice for me. Water based stuff just seems like you'll be prone to starting rust in the places where you can't get the water out easily and those are the places where the lube really needs to be.

My own regimen is to not worry about it. I might clean off the outside. When the chain is new, I tend to lube it every three of four rides for a time just to help make sure the lube I prefer is getting to where it needs to be. My current chain is about 5000 miles and still no sign of wear I can measure. I don't put out a lot of power and since I'm using Di2 full synchronized shifting, I'm never in the Big/Big combo or Small/Small.
Old 11-02-23, 01:53 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,543 Posts
fwiw.... silca says to prep a chain for the super secret liquid wax 1) soak/wash in mineral spirits 2) soak/wash (but less time) in a chain stripper/cleaner.... citrus based 3) soak was in acetone 4) put on the super secret lube

lots of talk about polyvalent and non-polyvalent solvents

with spending that much on a lube, i just followed directions, so maybe check what is called for by the people who are making the specific lube you are using

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 11-02-23, 02:12 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 248 Posts
I used to always stupidly take off the lube when new. White Lightning is the most useless lube ever. I had chains go to hell in 2,000 miles and I don't do gravel.
All my bikes are IGH, so now I put the chain on as is. The latest one on my tour bike with a full chain case went 2 years/ 4,000 miles I think. Then I finally cleaned it and put Rohloff veggie whatever oil on it. Only 1/32" stretch so far.
IMO NO lube is better than grease. None of them did much good. I used to clean and lube before every century ride on my 3x8 defailleur hybrid. And it doesn't matter if I rinsed twice, these was ALWAYS more dirt that lifted free when lubed. On my first tour I had motor oil on it. LOL

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 11-02-23 at 02:17 PM.
Old 11-02-23, 02:15 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Yes, you can but you have to do more steps. You need to use the degreaser, use water remove the degreaser, then use something to remove the water to reduce rust formation, and the let the chain dry to remove the water chaser. .....
OK what if after you degrease with the degreaser, you rinse with hot water with dishwasher drying agent added to it. In theory it would rinse the degreaser off, and then run off and evaporate off the chain, right?
Old 11-02-23, 02:24 PM
SW84

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 78 Posts
This is why I am not an authority on bikes or repairs. I just buy $15 chains, wipe them down if they look dirty, and apply a little lube. You all are teaching me a lot.
Likes For SW84:
Old 11-02-23, 03:26 PM
redshift1

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 36 Posts
I always instal a new Shimano chain as is straight out of the wrapper, then clean and re-lube at the next service. I find the original factory lube is superior to anything I put on afterwards.
Likes For redshift1:
Old 11-02-23, 03:57 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1279 Post(s)
Liked 1,393 Times in 711 Posts
the only time i left the factory coating (whatever it is) on when i installed a new chain, i went for a typical ride which included a flat coastal road that sometimes gets windblown sand, and i swear to god that factory product was as effective as glue for turning my chain into a sanding belt. INCREDIBLY STICKY stuff in this context. i've used a bunch of different methods to remove the factory stuff but am curious what the easiest way is...
Old 11-02-23, 04:19 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
If you're using a wax-based lube then you want to get the chain as clean as possible because any grease left on is not going to let the lube adhere well to the chain. I have tried the mineral spirits and denatured alcohol path, never got it quite clean enough for Squirt, which is notorious for getting gunked up when the chain's not spotless.

I've had had much better luck (and spent far less time) using CeramicSpeed's UFO drivetrain prep cleaner. I hear Silca's is also good. Both are expensive but I think CeramicSpeed doubled their price after I bought mine, so I have no complaints. It's a simple 5 minute soak, some agitation, rinse, and dry process.
Old 11-03-23, 10:23 AM
Carnmore

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
Yes, with Squirt e-bike chain wax https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B083V6R9...roduct_details
Old 11-03-23, 10:25 AM
Carnmore

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Original post edited above with chain wax product details:

Squirt e-bike chain wax https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B083V6R9...roduct_details
Old 11-03-23, 10:41 AM
kcjc

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 34 Posts
I run it through two or more baths (plus agitation) in a canning jar using simple green, mineral spirits, & acetone, followed by a rinse with hot water in my ultrasound cleaner and drying with a heat gun before they get their first wax immersion. I usually do more than one chain at a time. Hopefully, I'll be prepping 8 new chains at the end of the month for the next season.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.