Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Does the bike really make a difference?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Does the bike really make a difference?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-24, 01:16 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by RChung
If you don't need real-time and you understand how to analyze the data, you can do it after the ride. If you're careful, it's possible to estimate the differences between positions and equipment.
Those "ifs" are doing some pretty heavy lifting.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 03-06-24, 01:33 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 1,156 Times in 494 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
What if I'm NOT careful and just do it a lot of times?
That works if your errors are random. That doesn't work if the errors are systematic.

Originally Posted by terrymorse
Those "ifs" are doing some pretty heavy lifting.
If it were that hard, I wouldn't've been able to do it. But, in general, the smaller the difference you're trying to discern, the more careful you have to be. If you're looking for the difference between, say, a loose jersey and a tight one, you don't need to be that careful at all. That's a pretty noticeable difference.
Likes For RChung:
Old 03-06-24, 01:38 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4955 Post(s)
Liked 8,097 Times in 3,832 Posts
My assertion stands: a clincher tire with a latex tube can be as efficient, or more efficient, as a similar tubeless version of that tire.
In the one example of the GP5000, yes. Comparing Vittoria Corsa Speed G+ 2.0 tubeless to the Cosra Speed tubular (the fastest non-tubeless Vittoria on BRR), the 25mm tubeless @ 80psi is faster than the 23mm tubular @ 110psi. If we extrapolate the GP data of ~2W savings for latex vs. butyl, none of the Vittoria clinchers are in the fight,
Old 03-06-24, 01:57 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
Yes, obviously, a GP 5000 clincher vs a GP 5000 TR (tubeless ready). It wouldn't be very useful to compare a tubeless tire to itself with a tube in it, now would it? People who have bought into the tubeless trend aren't going to be inclined to put an icky old tube in there.

My assertion stands: a clincher tire with a latex tube can be as efficient, or more efficient, as a similar tubeless version of that tire.
Except the GP 5K, being a different tire, inflates to a different volume for the same nominal width than the S TR, so it really is comparing apples to oranges.

There actually are some anti-sealant people out there who put in TPU or latex in because they don't want to fuss with sealant. BRR has consistently shown there is a RR penalty for doing this:
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...-tubes#results
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...-tubes#average

Also, some pros and copycat amateurs are now using tubeless TT tires in the front or even rear because they are the fastest tires on the market despite being paper-thin, because with sealant inside there isn't as much of a concern about puncturing. Using a tube instead simply wouldn't be wise or result in the same speed -- 0 kph is as slow as it gets when one is pulled over to fix a flat.

From a 2023 Escape Collective article: "many Conti-equipped teams have been using the TT TR since the start of this season for its lower rolling resistance and weight."
Old 03-06-24, 01:57 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by Eric F
In the one example of the GP5000, yes. Comparing Vittoria Corsa Speed G+ 2.0 tubeless to the Cosra Speed tubular (the fastest non-tubeless Vittoria on BRR), the 25mm tubeless @ 80psi is faster than the 23mm tubular @ 110psi. If we extrapolate the GP data of ~2W savings for latex vs. butyl, none of the Vittoria clinchers are in the fight,
Yeah, I don't think you'll find a clincher that compares favorably to the Vittoria Cross Speed G+. That's a specialized tire that's super thin, suitable for events on good pavement and little else. BRR reports its tread thickness is just 1.8mm -- compare that to the GP5000 TL at 2.8mm, or the Vittoria Corsa G+ 2.0 (open) at 2.6mm.

Old 03-06-24, 02:11 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Originally Posted by surak
Except the GP 5K, being a different tire, inflates to a different volume for the same nominal width than the S TR, so it really is comparing apples to oranges.
Is there really a material difference in internal volume between the clincher and TR? Data from BRR: at 100 psi on a 17.8 mm internal width rim, the two tires are rather similar in measured width, height, and tire thickness.

Seems like searching for a difference, when a meaningful difference isn't there.

Old 03-06-24, 02:19 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts

Seems like searching for a difference, when a meaningful difference isn't there.
The meaningful difference is in flat protection. Tubeless wins that contest by a country mile, which is why I prefer them. Not having to deal with flats at the roadside makes the slight inconvenience of sealant worthwhile. YMMV.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 03-06-24, 02:24 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Is there really a material difference in internal volume between the clincher and TR? Data from BRR: at 100 psi on a 17.8 mm internal width rim, the two tires are rather similar in measured width, height, and tire thickness.

"Rather similar" being 2mm taller measured height on the 5000s. It's already shown that larger volume tires at the same pressure leads to lower measured RR. The 5000 is simply larger.

Seems like trying to ignore any evidence that disproves your assertion because it doesn't fit with your narrative.
Old 03-06-24, 02:34 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

"Rather similar" being 2mm taller measured height on the 5000s. It's already shown that larger volume tires at the same pressure leads to lower measured RR. The 5000 is simply larger.
Where has that been shown? I know it has been established for decades that wider tires of the same construction have lower RR at the same pressure, explained simply by the reduced vertical deflection. Not so sure that the same can be said about tire volume.

Old 03-06-24, 02:47 PM
surak

Where has that been shown? I know it has been established for decades that wider tires of the same construction have lower RR at the same pressure, explained simply by the reduced vertical deflection. Not so sure that the same can be said about tire volume.
CRR is affected by contact patch. The larger volume tire at same pressure has a larger contact patch.
Old 03-06-24, 02:55 PM
asgelle

Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 265 Posts
The larger volume tire at same pressure has a larger contact patch.
Final answer?
Old 03-06-24, 03:03 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Yeah, I don't think you'll find a clincher that compares favorably to the Vittoria Cross Speed G+. That's a specialized tire that's super thin, suitable for events on good pavement and little else. BRR reports its tread thickness is just 1.8mm -- compare that to the GP5000 TL at 2.8mm, or the Vittoria Corsa G+ 2.0 (open) at 2.6mm.
Valid. I didn't consider thread thickness.

Tubeless is still a winner for me simply due to how they handle most simple punctures. So far, the only issues I've had on the road have been sidewall slash issues that would likely have been the same result with a tubed tire.
Old 03-06-24, 03:06 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

CRR is affected by contact patch. The larger volume tire at same pressure has a larger contact patch.
Wouldn't the area of the contact patch be the same, and just vary in width and length depending on tire size?
Old 03-06-24, 03:14 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Want to bet on that?

Old 03-06-24, 04:02 PM
surak

OK, I messed that up, I should have written that the higher volume tire should have a wider contact patch, not larger. BRR's measured casing width of the GP 5K is also 2mm wider than than the S TR.

This all assumes that the tire construction is the same between the two models, as that also affects the contact patch shape. That seems highly unlikely, which is another reason why comparing two different tire models to try to prove that tubed tires are just as fast as tubeless is meaningless.
Old 03-06-24, 05:41 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

This all assumes that the tire construction is the same between the two models, as that also affects the contact patch shape. That seems highly unlikely, which is another reason why comparing two different tire models to try to prove that tubed tires are just as fast as tubeless is meaningless.
Why do we need to assume tire construction is the same? TL and TT tires are built differently, and those differences affect Crr. For the purposes of discussion, "fast" is about lower Crr.
Old 03-06-24, 05:58 PM
surak

Why do we need to assume tire construction is the same? TL and TT tires are built differently, and those differences affect Crr. For the purposes of discussion, "fast" is about lower Crr.
I was being rhetorical. If all we care about is what's faster, why compare the 5k to the S TR? Already shown that BRR measures higher RR with tubes in a tubeless tire. If you agree that the S TR is built differently than the tubed 5k, why is showing the 5k having lower RR than the S TR any proof that tubed tires are faster as tubeless?
Old 03-06-24, 06:00 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

OK, I messed that up, I should have written that the higher volume tire should have a wider contact patch, not larger. BRR's measured casing width of the GP 5K is also 2mm wider than than the S TR.
I see that, 66 mm vs 64 mm, an increase of 3% of the tire cross section circumference, or about a 6% of the tire volume.

Meaningless to whom? I'll continue to use my clincher + tube setup, safe in the knowledge that my tubed tire setup is fast. The only thing that truly matters is results.

I'll continue pushing back against the "common wisdom" that tubeless is faster, because it often is not.

Old 03-06-24, 06:45 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

I see that, 66 mm vs 64 mm, an increase of 3% of the tire cross section circumference, or about a 6% of the tire volume.

Meaningless to whom? I'll continue to use my clincher + tube setup, safe in the knowledge that my tubed tire setup is fast. The only thing that truly matters is results.

I'll continue pushing back against the "common wisdom" that tubeless is faster, because it often is not.
I'm still hopeful that BRR (or someone) develops tires tests for non-perfect surfaces. I'm really curious to see power loss comparison data for how tires of different sizes/pressures/structures react to different surface textures.

EDIT: Since this ^^^ post, I found out that BRR's test drum is not smooth, as I had assumed. It's made from diamond plate in an attempt to approximate the imperfect conditions of real roads.

Last edited by Eric F; 03-14-24 at 09:53 AM.
Old 03-06-24, 06:45 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,836 Posts
Originally Posted by Garthr
Weight in numbers is an easy thing to fixate on since anyone can weigh their bikes, parts and themselves. Wind resistance is difficult to translate into relatable terms, or to see tangible benefits. There's power meters/metrics for the riders relative strength, but there's no on the bike real time wind resistance meters that tells the riders what a drag their frame, clothing or positioning is.
This. Weight was a super-effective marketing tool because is is easily quantifiable, and when people started riding they rode heavier bikes, and as bikes increased in cost, thy weighed less ... therefore lighter was better. Marketers could tout tiny weight savings over last year's model, or "other bikes in class," and gain customers.

In a similar way, when "stiffness" became a thing, manufacturers would claim that This Year's Model was ".000667 percent stiffer laterally, for better power transfer, and .008834 percent more compliant vertically for a more comfortable ride."

Now that aero has been shown to trump all else, every frame is ridiculously stiff, and since wider, softer tires and both faster and more comfortable, a lot of people don't mind buying stiff frames.

Originally Posted by Garthr
If I was a paid pro I can understand pursuing that, but I'm not, so I don't. With nothing to gain or lose there is a certain for lack of a better term, "liberation" no matter what appears as happening.
This also. "Marginal gains" only really matter at all if a rider thinks they do. .000673 percent more aero means zero to me, and the days when shaving every gram was affordable have passed for me. I can just ride my bikes and i don't care.
Old 03-06-24, 07:15 PM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 1,156 Times in 494 Posts
I'm still hopeful that BRR (or someone) develops tires tests for non-perfect surfaces. I'm really curious to see power loss comparison data for how tires of different sizes/pressures/structures react to different surface textures.
If only there were some way to assess Crr (and CdA) with field tests on real roads.

(That said, measuring Crr is one of those things where you need to be careful with the measurements).
Likes For RChung:
Old 03-09-24, 11:20 AM
mikeoverly
Stuck in Toeclips

Bikes: https://thesearemikesbikes.blogspot.com/2023/06/mikes-bikes.html

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
When you can measure a difference repeatedly over a consistent course I'd say you have a data point as an amatuer. Pros don't seem to care a ton about a half-pound here or there or many of the other things we duffers obsess over. For a group ride it's a lot more about your personal capability and where you are in the pack.
Old 03-10-24, 08:00 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Light weight high priced bikes are of a concern to those that race. For the rest of us a fairly good quality bike will serve us just fine.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 03-13-24, 10:23 PM
zymphad

Bikes: Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Light weight high priced bikes are of a concern to those that race. For the rest of us a fairly good quality bike will serve us just fine.
Agreed. Meanwhile people are discussing the value in saving 2 watts riding tubeless vs tube above you
Old 03-14-24, 04:08 AM
PeteHski

Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Sometimes bland mediocrity is not quite enough, especially when it comes to our main hobbies and interests. There are thousands of riders out there who don’t race, but still enjoy riding high quality race bikes. It has nothing to do with what they “need”.

Last edited by PeteHski; 03-14-24 at 05:52 AM.
Likes For PeteHski:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.