Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bar ends: did you feel crowded?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-18, 11:05 PM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts

Have you added bar ends and did you feel crowded on the bars after? Or was it fine?

I'm talking about the add-on handle protrusions off a flat bar that stick forward kind of like bullhorns.

I'm getting mirrors and I need a place to mount them on my flat bars, so I'm considering bar ends for that.

Like these:

Last edited by rseeker; 09-23-18 at 11:21 PM.
Old 09-23-18, 11:20 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I have a Brompton . I got Ergon GR3 grips , they include a bar end.. I got used to it..
Old 09-23-18, 11:24 PM
rseeker

Originally Posted by fietsbob
I have a Brompton . I got Ergon GR3 grips , they include a bar end.. I got used to it..
What made you want them in the first place?

Do you use the bar end part much?
Old 09-23-18, 11:31 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
On the narrow XC bars we used to run on 26" MTB's BITD, they were good for the extra leverage, and for us East Coast guys, the '3/4' style was good for fending off branches and saplings when trailbreaking and bushwhacking.
The modern 650mm+ bars don't need the extra leverage, so bar-ends are superfluous. I'm not sure why you'd need to mount a bar-end just so that you could mount a mirror to it. I've seen people who do use them to mount mirrors and lights, but rather than crowding your hands, it feels more like using moose antlers for handlebars.
Old 09-24-18, 05:35 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
Love my bar ends.

Old 09-24-18, 06:26 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
Put 'em inboard.
Old 09-24-18, 06:50 AM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Very comfy-looking setup. If I ever rode across the USA, that's the setup I would want.

I would wanna add another bar end to the seat tube to help me whenever I pick up the bike. Seems original, and a conversation piece to boot.
Old 09-24-18, 07:07 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
They do move your grips inward. So this is not a matter of “crowded” but of how wide apart you like your grips. If you think the grips will be too close together, just ise a wider bar. You can test this right now by simply moving your grips in and see how it feels.

However, if you are only doing this for the purpose of installing a mirror, there are more straightforward ways to do so, like ones that mount like bar end plugs in the end of the bar, if you are OK with that possition.
Old 09-24-18, 07:13 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
I have pretty much the same bar end set up. I attached one of these mirrors to the bend of the left-hand bar end and if you orient the mirror so the long dimension is vertical, it works just like a truck rear view mirror:
https://www.amazon.com/UltraLite-acc...an+bike+mirror

Since I never actually rest my hand on the bend, I don't miss the small amount of the bar end I lose.
Old 09-24-18, 07:15 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
Put 'em inboard.
That would be a pretty useless location for what the OP wants them for.

Though your pic does show a better solution for mirror placement than what the OP is considering.

Last edited by Kapusta; 09-24-18 at 12:17 PM.
Old 09-24-18, 08:41 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6221 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by rseeker
Have you added bar ends and did you feel crowded on the bars after? Or was it fine?

I'm talking about the add-on handle protrusions off a flat bar that stick forward kind of like bullhorns.

I'm getting mirrors and I need a place to mount them on my flat bars, so I'm considering bar ends for that.

Like these:
Although I'm a proponent of helmet mirrors over bar mounted mirrors, I have had to mount mirrors on bikes with flat bars because my wife doesn't like helmet mirrors. My solution was to use a Zefal Doobak mirror. It's a nice mirror and inserts into the handlebar. The barends won't interfere with the mount. You can see it on the left hand side in this picture

DSCN1058 by Stuart Black, on Flickr

I actually got the righthand mirror so that the mirror hangs below the handlebar. A lefthand mirror stands above the bar and interferes with the use of the bar ends.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 09-24-18, 10:06 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Originally Posted by cyccommute
... I'm a proponent of helmet mirrors over bar mounted mirrors....
+1 for helmet/glasses mirrors and supplementary bar mirrors.
Old 09-24-18, 10:19 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Jra

Originally Posted by rseeker
What made you want them in the first place?

Do you use the bar end part much?
Flattish paddle grip, comfort, bar end integrated, but separately adjustable.

I often just open my palm, across grip and bar end,

so not grabbing , more leaning, on the handlebars..
Old 09-24-18, 10:22 AM
fietsbob
Banned

here is their longest bar end model.

Old 10-09-18, 04:57 AM
rseeker

Originally Posted by Ironfish653
On the narrow XC bars we used to run on 26" MTB's BITD, they were good for the extra leverage, and for us East Coast guys, the '3/4' style was good for fending off branches and saplings when trailbreaking and bushwhacking.
The modern 650mm+ bars don't need the extra leverage, so bar-ends are superfluous. I'm not sure why you'd need to mount a bar-end just so that you could mount a mirror to it. I've seen people who do use them to mount mirrors and lights, but rather than crowding your hands, it feels more like using moose antlers for handlebars.
I hadn't thought of that, but fending off branches sounds attractive. One of the ways I use this (cheap but serviceable) bike is bike-and-hike, where I ride for an hour, stash the bike, hike for a couple hours then ride on home. The place I stash it doesn't have a trail, it's in some dense woods and down in a gully ("Local Adventure" biking) where no one will see it. (Security through obscurity.) (Also locked.) Anyway, creating a protected space for the mirror seems like a win.

The other win with barends may be a cheap way to begin trying different fore/aft rider positions without having to use a whole different set of bars yet. Especially for climbing, which I do a lot of since my neighborhood is almost all hills

My bars are 630mm, maybe I'll need something wider after all.

Originally Posted by Ironfish653
when trailbreaking and bushwhacking
That sounds like good times.

Last edited by rseeker; 10-09-18 at 05:10 AM.
Old 10-09-18, 05:05 AM
rseeker

Originally Posted by cyccommute
Although I'm a proponent of helmet mirrors over bar mounted mirrors, I have had to mount mirrors on bikes with flat bars because my wife doesn't like helmet mirrors. My solution was to use a Zefal Doobak mirror. It's a nice mirror and inserts into the handlebar. The barends won't interfere with the mount. You can see it on the left hand side in this picture
That looks like a nicely set up bike. I'll check out the Doobak, thanks for mentioning it.

Originally Posted by BobbyG
+1 for helmet/glasses mirrors and supplementary bar mirrors.
That's my plan, I'm getting both, Take-A-Look for the helmet and thinking Ortlieb for the bars. I'll try em both and keep what works. (.. and the Ortlieb looks identical to the D+D UltraLite linked above.)

Last edited by rseeker; 10-09-18 at 05:52 AM.
Old 10-09-18, 01:43 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Anything on the handlebar I like to bolt it up and try it out. before I commit myself to something that can't be undone.

I tend to prefer narrower handlebars and almost always shortened them a little. That's when I learned about trying them out before cutting the end of the bar.
Old 10-10-18, 07:43 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
I have my bar ends inside the brake handles. They work great.

I don't feel cramped, like the OP is looking to avoid. When I had them on the outside the outside of my hands pressed against them and I felt cramped. When them inside my hand is a good inch from the bar end when holding the normal grips. Plus when I'm holding the bar ends I can drop down much quicker to the brake levers without having to pull my hand back and around the bar end.

With the interior positioning I get all the advantages of the bar ends on the outside. It's an alternate hand position and a place to grab and pull for a climb. And they don't have the down sides like your hands feeling cramped inside them of hooking low hanging tree branches/other bikers

What they end up feeling like is holding the shifter hoods on a drop bar. The ergonomics of the grip are a bit different, but that's roughly the same position I'm in when I'm on the bar ends.

Old 10-10-18, 07:45 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
I've never got on with them. They were all the rage in the late '80s and I tried a few, but the hand position was all wrong. My Merlin came with bullhorns and I couldn't cope.

With flat bars your hands are in the wrong position because they're just too straight. Maybe you can get more straight poles on a pallet but it does nothing for the riding position.

I held my hands out in loose fists with a handlegrip in each, and looked at them. I closed my eyes and let my hands move to the most comfortable position. When i opened my eyes, the grips were in a position none of my bikes had ever had...

What I needed, apparently, were moustache bars, angled slightly downwards. I bough an Ergotec Space Bugle and i absolutely love it, i've used it on my last three dailys - if you like your bars low, you can get the grips lower than your top tube by mounting them upside down. And you can cut a gap out the middle of the curve for an inboard pair.

Old 10-10-18, 07:47 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyMK
I've never got on with them. They were all the rage in the late '80s and I tried a few, but the hand position was all wrong. My Merlin came with bullhorns and I couldn't cope.

With flat bars your hands are in the wrong position because they're just too straight. Maybe you can get more straight poles on a pallet but it does nothing for the riding position.

I held my hands out in loose fists with a handlegrip in each, and looked at them. I closed my eyes and let my hands move to the most comfortable position. When i opened my eyes, the grips were in a position none of my bikes had ever had...

What I needed, apparently, were moustache bars, angled slightly downwards. I bough an Ergotec Space Bugle and i absolutely love it, i've used it on my last three dailys - if you like your bars low, you can get the grips lower than your top tube by mounting them upside down. And you can cut a gap out the middle of the curve for an inboard pair.
What computer are you using there? I like the way it displays the information.
Old 10-10-18, 05:34 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

KT-3 I think it's called (I call it Katy), yeah I like it. It has a lot of parameter settings and has allowed me to customise the bike to behave just how I want it.

Unfortunately it's only rated up to 48v systems (working well with 54.4v max).
My motor is rated 1.5-3.0kw and is currently reaching 2kw. But my new motor is rated at 3.0-8.0kw and i'm gonna have to keep it at 48v for now until I can find a new system.
Old 10-10-18, 05:40 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

This is probably a better photo for both the screen and bars...

Old 10-11-18, 07:07 AM
BobbyG

Originally Posted by Skipjacks
I have my bar ends inside the brake handles. They work great.

I don't feel cramped, like the OP is looking to avoid. When I had them on the outside the outside of my hands pressed against them and I felt cramped. When them inside my hand is a good inch from the bar end when holding the normal grips. Plus when I'm holding the bar ends I can drop down much quicker to the brake levers without having to pull my hand back and around the bar end.

With the interior positioning I get all the advantages of the bar ends on the outside. It's an alternate hand position and a place to grab and pull for a climb. And they don't have the down sides like your hands feeling cramped inside them of hooking low hanging tree branches/other bikers

What they end up feeling like is holding the shifter hoods on a drop bar. The ergonomics of the grip are a bit different, but that's roughly the same position I'm in when I'm on the bar ends.

The clean simplicity of your bar setup is reflected in your prose. My clunky-kludge of a jungle-gym handle-bar reflects my overwrought writing style. Yours looks and sounds like mine do in my head. Nice!
Old 10-13-18, 07:49 PM
Duo
Banned.

Bikes: The Good Book of bicycling

Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
is there any chance of a bicycle mirror for a drop bar Road Bike? i am looking for one that allows me to use all the positions on a drop bar handle bar.

thanks.
Old 10-14-18, 10:33 AM
rseeker

Originally Posted by Duo
is there any chance of a bicycle mirror for a drop bar Road Bike? i am looking for one that allows me to use all the positions on a drop bar handle bar
That Doobak mentioned here above looks pretty good. It goes in the end of the bar where a plug would usually go. Would something like that work for you?

This other topic should help too: https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...t-mounted.html

Last edited by rseeker; 10-14-18 at 10:37 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.