Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Help building up Univega Mixte

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Help building up Univega Mixte

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-18, 06:24 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
Nice Build Meg! I especially like the rack and the grips, I have fun building mixtes when I have someone to build them for. So far; a sister-in-law, niece, and my daughter and I built a step thru ladies 1980s MTB for the ex-wife that is kind of Mixte adjacent.

my niece bike build -basket was spec'd by her for Grad School

Raleigh record mixte finished by Ryan Surface, on Flickr

Last edited by ryansu; 09-08-18 at 06:29 PM.
Old 09-09-18, 10:07 PM
MegMC

Bikes: 1980 Univega Sportour Mixte, 2010 Jamis Quest remix

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ryansu
Nice Build Meg! I especially like the rack and the grips, I have fun building mixtes when I have someone to build them for. So far; a sister-in-law, niece, and my daughter and I built a step thru ladies 1980s MTB for the ex-wife that is kind of Mixte adjacent.

my niece bike build -basket was spec'd by her for Grad School
Cool Raleigh. To think, just two months ago I didn't even know what a mixte was and now I am full blown obsessed!
Old 09-09-18, 10:13 PM
MegMC

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
RE the rain in LA - It's kind of funny. Because of the long 5 year + drought, people that have moved here fairly recently had this weird idea that it never rains in LA. Not true. First year I moved hear it rained 35 inches. A couple years back, we finally had a normal winter, and everyone was freaking out that the hills were green. Anyhow, I kept my fenders on that winter, and made good use of them. Hardly anyone rides in the park when it rains. Could have used fenders for a few rides last winter, but didn't bother, as it was pretty dry overall.

There's no beach in LA either...

And back OT - Nice job on the mixte! I think the Paselas look nice in all black. I've kind of over skinwalls. Did it enough BITD. They are perpetually dirty.
Like pretty much everyone in LA I freak when it rains and at least for now, am not hardcore enough to ride in such weather nor pretty much do anything else haha. We'll see, things may change and I may want fenders someday.

I do kind of like the black Paselas are a little meaner looking to cut the "girl bike" vibes.

Old 09-10-18, 10:29 AM
michael k

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Very nice MegMC!
In your first photo the grips looked similar to those shellacked cork grips that were popular on the forum a few yrs. back. I thinking with Gumwalls and matching color seat it ties everything together. Any plans for a rear rack?
Btw, they do make *Shorty fenders but would probably look odd on your Mixte. They are more Form then function I believe.
Old 09-10-18, 04:01 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,804 Times in 1,801 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
...Anyone using the cheap Sunrace thumbies? Only 10 bux and they look decent.
Yup, I'm using the cheap SunRace SML10 thumb friction shifters right now on my Univega Via Carisma. They work fine.

The original Shimano STI index thumb shifters finally got too glitchy to mess with. The front derailleur shifter started jumping over the middle chain ring a year or so and I couldn't fix it, so I switched to a single SunRace SLM10 for the front derailleur.

Then the right side Shimano STI for the rear derailleur failed this weekend, just as I was installing a Nitto albatross bar to replace the flat and riser bars I'd been using.

I didn't have anything else in the junk bin so I used the pair of SunRace SLM10 shifters. They look cheap but work fine. I'll use 'em for now while I'm pondering whether to keep the albatross bar. If I keep it I'll probably go with bar end shifters.

For now the SunRace thumbies on mounted on the middle of the albatross bar, next to the stem. It was impossible to work around the existing Shimano brake levers because they have the metal plates for mounting the STI shifters. There was no good place to set up the thumbies within convenient thumb range of the brakes, so I just moved 'em completely to the middle of the bar. I remembered my 1976 Motobecane Mirage had stem mounted shifters and it wasn't bad, although eventually I switched to downtube shifters.

I set the B screw to the slackest setting for smoother shifting. It's a bit slower but with friction shifting it doesn't matter. The cheap SunRace thumbies are a bit imprecise feeling anyway, and the mounting position near the stem makes shifting a bit twitchy. So more slop is better in this case. I may change it all up if I switch to bar end shifters.

Meanwhile I'm trying to decide between the SunRace bar end shifters, Dia Compe bar ends or other. And I'll need to replace the brake levers since the old levers look ungainly with the useless mounting plates.

Ideally I'd like to declutter the cockpit so I can wrap padded bar tape around the albatross bar ahead of the brake levers. That'll give me another hand position that's also more aero for windy days. Maybe some cork grips, I haven't decided yet. I have a couple of sets of low priced rubber grips to try for now.

And I need to switch the Univega from the stem mounted cantilever brake cable hanger for the front, to a separate cable hanger a little lower on the stem or head tube. Right now the front brake cable/housing loops above the bar and looks awkward.

I saw on another thread a fellow had used some of Jagwire's colored cable housing. I like that and may try some blue on my Univega's blue/black splattertastic paint.

I haven't decided yet whether to keep the original cantilever brakes or switch to linear pull for reduced finger effort. I joke around that the old style Shimano canti brakes are "can't deliver brakes" -- effective braking demands a lot of effort. On the plus side, there's little risk of locking up a wheel. I'm redoing the brakes now, after noticing the spring tension was set to the highest tension -- the middle position seems to be a good compromise between braking effort and snappy return.
Old 09-11-18, 06:19 PM
MegMC

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by michael k
Very nice MegMC!
In your first photo the grips looked similar to those shellacked cork grips that were popular on the forum a few yrs. back. I thinking with Gumwalls and matching color seat it ties everything together. Any plans for a rear rack?
Btw, they do make *Shorty fenders but would probably look odd on your Mixte. They are more Form then function I believe.
thanks! I'm not sure about a rear rack. Figured I'll see how much I use the front and if I feel it lacking.

one hiccup is that the front rack finish is a kind of matte silver coated alloy, so a shiny steel or shiny aluminum rack, as most seem to be, may clash a bit. Oh the considerations haha.