Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Mid-Atlantic
Reload this Page >

Fenwick Island to Assateague Island

Search
Notices
Mid-Atlantic Pennsylvania | Maryland | DC | Delaware | West Virginia | Virginia

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-23, 01:40 PM
CKostie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I am going to be staying in Fenwick Island in the middle of July. I mapped a couple of routes based on the the Strava global heat map. I have one going up to Lewes to possibly catch the Ferry over to Cape May. My other route is down to Assateague Island. The route I did is basically a circle going through ocean city, Assateague, Berlin, Selbyville, and Fenwick.

First question is how many minutes to you have to arrive before for the ferry departs? The lewes/cape may ferry website recommends that you arrive 45 to 60 minutes early. Should I plan the same even though I just walking on with a bike.

Second question is if I were to leave at say 8 on a weekend morning to start the ride to Assateague, is it better to to the ride in a clockwise or counterclockwise direction?

Thanks
Old 05-26-23, 12:39 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,582 Times in 7,337 Posts
You should arrive at the ferry dock as instructed. Bikes go on first. Motor vehicles after that. You need to be able to board, put your bike in one of the racks between car lanes and get up the stairs before cars start loading. Your panniers will also likely be searched. That takes a couple of minutes. Don’t bring anything illegal. The folks were very nice to me last year.

The ride is fun. Last year on Good Friday we saw a whale on the way to Lewes. The Captain actually diverted course for a bit so we could get a closer look. Dolphin sightings are common, especially in the summer. They often swim towards the boat and then dive under, so hang out near the front if you can.

If you have never visited Cape Henlopen State Park, it’s worth a look. Very bike friendly, with several trails. You can get there from Rehoboth almost entirely via bike lane and trail. One of the trails goes through a neat tidal area. The park gives out a great bike map. I got mine from the person manning the campground check in booth.

It’s actually worth staying a night or two, but reservations during the summer are tough to get, at least during weekends. I’d bet that weekends are already fully booked for summer. I was going to tour down there again this Easter weekend. Made reservations in December and the campground was nearly full. Unfortunately, I had to cancel.

Last edited by indyfabz; 05-26-23 at 12:45 PM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-26-23, 05:22 PM
CKostie

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks. I will have to make sure I leave our place on Fenwick Island to give me some spare time to catch the ferry. I'm not too worried about coming back as there will be plenty of ferries after my planned ferry.
Old 06-26-23, 09:51 AM
CKostie

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Just a post to read private messages.
Old 06-26-23, 09:52 AM
CKostie