Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

With the rise of throttle e-bikes, e-motorcycles, mopeds etc. on the MUPs....

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

With the rise of throttle e-bikes, e-motorcycles, mopeds etc. on the MUPs....

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-24, 04:03 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4448 Post(s)
Liked 4,908 Times in 3,039 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
My crystal ball tells me the artificial and silly distinctions between types of e-motor bikes will become irrelevant. People will choose the most power and functionality for their $. Vestigial pedals may remain, depending on how long the legal loopholes exist. Who knows how much disruption it would take before authorities think "Hmm, motor/ no motor. How easy to solve this."
So you think people riding e-road bikes and e-MTBs for leisure really wanted an e-motor bike? I think your crystal ball is broken. The distinctions are real and valid, just as they are with regular bikes, mopeds and motorbikes. The term e-bike is just too vague as all it tells you is that there is some kind of motor assistance.
Old 04-25-24, 05:59 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3692 Post(s)
Liked 5,499 Times in 2,788 Posts
Those are all "e-motor" bikes. The only distinction that really matters is motor/ no motor. The others are artificial, created by the current regulations. Certainly there are cyclists who age out or otherwise become unable to ride w/o a motor but I think that will be a small segment of ebike users in the future. The attractions are obvious and as prices come down I think most users will come from outside the cycling world. They aren't going to care about classes. The "it's riding a bike, the motor is no different from another gear" prattle we see here will just seem silly to them. I agree, terminology is vague, hope this clarifies what I meant.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 04-25-24, 08:38 AM
PeteHski

Those are all "e-motor" bikes. The only distinction that really matters is motor/ no motor. The others are artificial, created by the current regulations. Certainly there are cyclists who age out or otherwise become unable to ride w/o a motor but I think that will be a small segment of ebike users in the future. The attractions are obvious and as prices come down I think most users will come from outside the cycling world. They aren't going to care about classes. The "it's riding a bike, the motor is no different from another gear" prattle we see here will just seem silly to them. I agree, terminology is vague, hope this clarifies what I meant.
It will be interesting to see how well your post ages. There will definitely be a whole load of e-motorbikes in the future, but e-bikes with variable pedal assist will also continue to be popular. They are totally different markets.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 04-25-24, 11:45 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 3692 Post(s)
Liked 5,499 Times in 2,788 Posts
I agree, different markets. I see the % of buyers who see value in turning pedals as opposed to turning a throttle, decreasing. Cycling has never been that popular here in US among adults. Compare the number of aged out cyclists who need an ebike to adults who buy other motorized recreation of all sorts. I can see where in a few years lots of families might have a couple of ebikes in the garage along with their jet skis or whatever. They aren't going to care about pedal assist or 12 speed drive trains. Just my WAG but I don't see mfgs restricting themselves to a small market. Heck, I probably won't still be above ground to see how it shakes out.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 04-25-24, 06:33 PM
PeteHski

I agree, different markets. I see the % of buyers who see value in turning pedals as opposed to turning a throttle, decreasing. Cycling has never been that popular here in US among adults. Compare the number of aged out cyclists who need an ebike to adults who buy other motorized recreation of all sorts. I can see where in a few years lots of families might have a couple of ebikes in the garage along with their jet skis or whatever. They aren't going to care about pedal assist or 12 speed drive trains. Just my WAG but I don't see mfgs restricting themselves to a small market. Heck, I probably won't still be above ground to see how it shakes out.
Over here in the UK, it’s the pedal assist bikes that are most popular among leisure cyclists and commuters. It’s rare to see throttle controlled e-bikes here. They just want a bicycle that is easier to pedal up hills and for most of them it has nothing to do with aging out. Those who are not interested in pedalling tend to prefer e-scooters here. Or they just ride conventional mopeds, which will soon be mostly electric too.

If you go into a bike shop in the UK you will see a range of pedal assist e-bikes alongside their conventional counterparts. Often they are electrified versions of the same bike. You won’t see any throttle controlled e-motorbikes.

The guys you are talking about will just be replacing their conventional motorbikes, scooters and quads with electric motorbikes, scooters and quads. At least they will be quieter and less smelly.
Old 04-30-24, 01:22 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5227 Post(s)
Liked 3,598 Times in 2,352 Posts
Originally Posted by boozergut
Have you shifted more of your spare time to other hobbies and recreational pursuits?
not because of that. other things have pulled me away from cycling the past cpl of years & now I have a knee issue to remedy, if I can

but I do ride MUPs less seasonally due to increased traffic. maybe that's one of the reasons I love winter cycling
Old 04-30-24, 06:23 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Here in Hawaii, IC mopeds have long been on the scene. You need a drivers license but not an MC endorsement. Used to be one-time vehicle registration/license but due to complaints about modified exhaust systems changed law to annual registration with inspection. Electric anything bicycle was considered a moped, until a couple years ago they adopted the US CPSC definition of "low powered electric bicycle" 750 Watt / 20 mph max with 170 lb rider on level ground (16CFR Part 1512 Sec 1). LPEB have 1 time registration, no DL requirement but 15 year old minimum age (seems to be ignored so far).

On Oahu we only have one what could be called MUP, heavily used for commuting, and there have always been some IC mopeds illegally on it, but they tend to ride with aloha. More kids on these e-things is the problem. But e-things on sidewalks is what is going to bring down the hammer next legislative session. (e scooters and hover boards on sidewalk too.)

scott s.

Last edited by scott967; 04-30-24 at 06:30 PM.
Old 04-30-24, 07:03 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 410 Times in 236 Posts
My issue with these motorized 'bikes' is that they are using the same bike paths and bike lanes that non-motorized bikes are using, but are travelling at a much higher speed. I was on a dedicated bike lane today on the homeward commute when a dude on one of these motorized bikes attempted to pass me on the right side. I was travelling maybe 35 km/h. He was probably going 5 km/h faster than I was, and he wasn't pedaling at all. Full throttle, or half throttle, I honestly don't know how fast these things are capable of going.