Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Old 01-22-20, 01:52 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
How big is your company? Is three a lot?

If we lost three were I am now, I'm not sure anyone would notice.
Old 01-22-20, 02:21 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
My stance on that is that a lot of companies these days want to have the world, and eat it too.

They want super educated ready go getters, but don't want to pay for them. Then, when the people acquire the skills and talent and years and DO get paid........they find reasons to shift them out and rinse-repeat.

People disagree with me, but I've seen it. It certainly isn't the German or Nordic models for employment in the US. In the US I sum it up with "no honor amongst thieves". I increasingly see it the norm to see resumes of people much older than me applying to where I work that in the last 10 years have a bunch of 2 year strings of employments put together.

You used to see more of the 5, then 10 year, then 20 year services strung together.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 01-22-20, 03:33 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
How big is your company? Is three a lot?

If we lost three were I am now, I'm not sure anyone would notice.
Eh, not a lot, but not nothing. Maybe 2-7% or something, depending on how you want to count the size of the company. It was 2 people out of maybe 40 in one group sort of thing. It was sudden enough, and although somewhat tied to performance, not entirely so, and timed together, that it makes people worry.

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
My stance on that is that a lot of companies these days want to have the world, and eat it too.

They want super educated ready go getters, but don't want to pay for them. Then, when the people acquire the skills and talent and years and DO get paid........they find reasons to shift them out and rinse-repeat.

People disagree with me, but I've seen it. It certainly isn't the German or Nordic models for employment in the US. In the US I sum it up with "no honor amongst thieves". I increasingly see it the norm to see resumes of people much older than me applying to where I work that in the last 10 years have a bunch of 2 year strings of employments put together.

You used to see more of the 5, then 10 year, then 20 year services strung together.
Yeah, for sure. You either perform, or you're gone, and if the company isn't performing, you might be gone anyway. Thankfully, I've seen more employees starting to figure this out over the last 10 years or so, that they need to get theirs while they can, and always have a backup plan. The market is tight enough at the moment that all three of them either have something or likely will soon. These days you have to keep yourself valuable though, unfortunately, and hope the money keeps coming in. But if it doesn't keep coming in, you don't want to be the least useful one, or the highest paid, or some combination of not very useful and expensive.

I'm expensive, but I'm useful (for now, anyway).
Old 01-22-20, 03:40 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
I'm glad I work in Government. Its feast or famine in private industry. We have a few new hires from IBM that were essentially ran out because those jobs were sent to India where they could charge 3x less. All 3 had 20+ years in. Now our dealings with IBM are so terrible now we don't even bother calling. Their support now knows less than us and they just google what they think are the answers. IT is also going to a contract model where you complete the work and are let go.

My wifes job they fired an executive because he didn't golf, and was older than the other execs. 30 years of experience gone.
Old 01-22-20, 06:30 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
I've been geeking out with trying some programming. I took a Java semester course as an undergrad in 1999, and while I enjoyed it, I wasn't convinced I had could cut it as a computer sci major (I spent so much time trying to fix coding errors). I've done HTML and by extension some Javascript and PHP that is related to it, but only modifying existing code, never creating my own.

Based on some popular opinion, I started with Python recently, and by start I mean getting in over my head with a project as opposed to going step by step through a course lol Over the weekend I've been messing around with Strava's API and basically figuring out how to bulk extract my own data to individual files through code and then graph it, which is a little pointless because there are already a million ways to get and analyze data! But it's been fun, I kind of want to build a whole PMC site for myself, which again is super impractical considering the number of free/paid options which exist. Python is supposedly all the rage for machine learning, though I don't see myself breaking any ground in that area

If anyone has any neat ideas of what to try and do as far as building analysis or stuff to do with Strava data I can try and see if I can figure it out, it'll just take a really long time!
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 01-23-20, 09:17 AM
furiousferret

You're on your way to being a good programmer. There are 2 kinds of programmers, those that do it for a paycheck and those that do it because they love it. The latter are always better at it, by a longshot. I'd take one of those over 5 over the former.

As for strava ideas, I always have a bunch during race season, but got nothing right now. My pet peeve with training software today is the lack of power profiles; you can't just group in CX power, TT power, Trainer power, and Road power and get an accurate picture of what's going on, in fact it skews it to being close to useless. I don't think you can really do anything with a strava plugin though.
Likes For furiousferret:
Old 01-23-20, 10:24 AM
Flatballer
No matches

I think you can tag rides in Strava either by bike used or by a keyword, and you should (I have not at all looked at their API, I'm just assuming) be able to filter rides by that and then create a power profile for each keyword/bike type which would be more useful, and could be used to train to specific points on those bikes.
Likes For Flatballer:
Old 01-23-20, 10:46 AM
hubcyclist

I think the API would potentially allow someone to do a power curve based on type of bike, since there is an id for the gear used (bike or shoes). I guess first I'd have to figure out how to do a power curve and then introduce the gear filter to achieve that

I'm turning 40 on Tuesday, so programming will have to be just for fun, I don't think the tech industry is welcoming of us olds lol (also I'm halfway through my public sector career, not looking to transition now lol)
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 01-23-20, 11:17 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,841 Times in 4,390 Posts
Originally Posted by hubcyclist

I'm turning 40 on Tuesday, so programming will have to be just for fun, I don't think the tech industry is welcoming of us olds lol
Olds. For my 40th birthday (1994) we had a party and a softball game. My friend Dave slid into second base and re-injured his knee but didn't know how bad it was until the next day when he and I did an 80+ mile ride in the mountains with 8K feet of climbing. He got done with most of the climbing and his knee locked up at about 90 degrees. I left him and rode to get the car and by the time I got back to him he was riding one legged with the other leg hanging out in the air.
Ah, memories.
Likes For big john:
Old 01-25-20, 11:37 AM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by hubcyclist
I've been geeking out with trying some programming. I took a Java semester course as an undergrad in 1999, and while I enjoyed it, I wasn't convinced I had could cut it as a computer sci major (I spent so much time trying to fix coding errors). I've done HTML and by extension some Javascript and PHP that is related to it, but only modifying existing code, never creating my own.

Based on some popular opinion, I started with Python recently, and by start I mean getting in over my head with a project as opposed to going step by step through a course lol Over the weekend I've been messing around with Strava's API and basically figuring out how to bulk extract my own data to individual files through code and then graph it, which is a little pointless because there are already a million ways to get and analyze data! But it's been fun, I kind of want to build a whole PMC site for myself, which again is super impractical considering the number of free/paid options which exist. Python is supposedly all the rage for machine learning, though I don't see myself breaking any ground in that area

If anyone has any neat ideas of what to try and do as far as building analysis or stuff to do with Strava data I can try and see if I can figure it out, it'll just take a really long time!
Awesome! Python is a good learning language, although I have to deal with a lot of the not-fun parts of it (unicode, 2/3 interop) at work. TypeScript is popular these days too.

A while ago I had a Raspberry Pi that would pull from my Strava feed and then post the ride (title, map, photos) to a Tumblr page. Which basically made a Tumblr site that was a mirror of my Strava feed.

Another idea I had was similar to yours - to calculate CTL/etc and show it on a "dashboard" of sorts, like some kind of small display hooked up to a Raspberry Pi. But the hard part is TrainingPeaks's API isn't available for "personal use" (I wanted to get the actual TSS values, not guess/calculate them), which I can only assume that means it costs money. But I wanted to show current CTL/trends, temperature, etc.

The Pi opens up some possibilities because you can have a "computer" running your code at all times, and talking to all kinds of hardware, etc.

my race videos
Old 01-25-20, 02:21 PM
hubcyclist

Originally Posted by mattm
Awesome! Python is a good learning language, although I have to deal with a lot of the not-fun parts of it (unicode, 2/3 interop) at work. TypeScript is popular these days too.

A while ago I had a Raspberry Pi that would pull from my Strava feed and then post the ride (title, map, photos) to a Tumblr page. Which basically made a Tumblr site that was a mirror of my Strava feed.

Another idea I had was similar to yours - to calculate CTL/etc and show it on a "dashboard" of sorts, like some kind of small display hooked up to a Raspberry Pi. But the hard part is TrainingPeaks's API isn't available for "personal use" (I wanted to get the actual TSS values, not guess/calculate them), which I can only assume that means it costs money. But I wanted to show current CTL/trends, temperature, etc.

The Pi opens up some possibilities because you can have a "computer" running your code at all times, and talking to all kinds of hardware, etc.
Yeah, I have a Pi 3 and a Pi zero, although I haven't put them to use for this stuff yet, the Pi is mainly a plex server while the zero has been used as a NES/SNES emulation station. Once I get more competent with the programming I would love to leverage those things for other stuff.

I found this guy who created a PMC in python and posted a how to on it Build Your Own Performance Management Chart in Python | Johannes Jacob - Blog and some more ride analysis here Analyze your cycling data with Python | Johannes Jacob - Blog So I may try that. I also saw that he launched an online PMC which is free at trainshift.com and it looks neat and polished, would love to know how he built it up.

As for me, I was able to use a library called plotly dash to generate an interactive power/heartrate graph out of CSV file I pulled via a Django app. So I've got something lol It's tough to know which direction to go in as a noob, really I should probably first figuring out how to build a database using either uploaded fit files or pulled strava rides and then having my "site" be able to read from that database and then generate a ride analysis from that. It's fun tinkering around, but it's so easy to spend hours at a time, so I have to watch myself lol
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 01-25-20, 10:15 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
I love Django. I had a slick webapp developed for my team that got shot down because they wouldn't get me a webserver to host it on. (cybersecurity...)
Old 01-28-20, 06:40 PM
big john

Some years ago a friend's son was hurt in a car crash. He found handcycle racing and recently completed his 35th marathon event. He finished 2nd.I told her I hoped she gave him crap about coming in 2nd.
Likes For big john:
Old 01-29-20, 02:55 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
I got married earlier this month, which is cool. We went to SF to honeymoon, meet all her friends, see all the apartments she lived in over the years. We're sorta discussing how to be bicoastal after I'm out of college. Split time between SF and NY if possible. Also looking at Stanford for law school...
Old 01-29-20, 04:03 PM
furiousferret

So why didn't you invite me to the wedding?
Likes For furiousferret:
Old 01-29-20, 04:50 PM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
Congrats KP!

I got engaged last month, will get married likely late July or early August. This will be take 2 for me.
Likes For cmh:
Old 01-29-20, 04:58 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Originally Posted by furiousferret
So why didn't you invite me to the wedding?
Oh man we did it city hall style! We're also buying a house and wanted to use the money we would've spent on a wedding to put 20% down. Actually got preapproved for a mortgage yesterday!
Likes For TheKillerPenguin:
Old 01-29-20, 05:05 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Originally Posted by cmh
Congrats KP!

I got engaged last month, will get married likely late July or early August. This will be take 2 for me.
Congrats to you too!
Old 01-29-20, 06:08 PM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
Oh man we did it city hall style! We're also buying a house and wanted to use the money we would've spent on a wedding to put 20% down. Actually got preapproved for a mortgage yesterday!
congratulations both of you

and extra points for doing it right (city hall style) and saving the money for something useful
Old 01-29-20, 10:44 PM
big john

Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
No more Vagabond?
Old 01-29-20, 10:57 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Congrats to the married and the engaged.
Old 01-29-20, 11:06 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,780 Posts
Originally Posted by echappist
congratulations both of you

and extra points for doing it right (city hall style) and saving the money for something useful
+1. My now father in law jokingly offered to pay us to elope. I often wish that we had nonjokingly accepted.
Old 01-30-20, 08:02 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Congratulations on the wedding and house.

My MIL offered to give us the money they would have spent on the wedding had we eloped. My wife insisted on the huge wedding. Then she realized what a PIA it is to plan and how much she hates being the center of attention. Oh well, it was too late at that point, and we had the huge wedding. I don't remember much of it. We spent the whole time thanking everyone for coming, which took several hours considering we had like 300 people there. It wasn't a lot of fun for us, but everyone else loved the party.

As for your house, make sure you get a good home inspection.
Old 01-30-20, 08:59 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Mazel Tov
Old 01-30-20, 12:38 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Congratulations on the wedding and house.

My MIL offered to give us the money they would have spent on the wedding had we eloped. My wife insisted on the huge wedding. Then she realized what a PIA it is to plan and how much she hates being the center of attention. Oh well, it was too late at that point, and we had the huge wedding. I don't remember much of it. We spent the whole time thanking everyone for coming, which took several hours considering we had like 300 people there. It wasn't a lot of fun for us, but everyone else loved the party.

As for your house, make sure you get a good home inspection.
I don't think I know 300 people, let alone 300 people I like enough to invite.

Upside of a huge wedding is you get a lot of presents.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.