Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Newbie from Cali

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Newbie from Cali

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-20, 12:03 AM
Dwillems26

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Newbie from Cali

I've been on the site for a day now with enough posts to post photos. I've learned a lot from this site in the past couple weeks. Don't think I'll be a regular, but I'll post or check in from time to time.

Built my own BMX bike when I was around 10 from an old frame (no idea don't ask), saving up money from mowing jobs to buy new parts. Was so proud of that bike and ride it about everywhere. Had a huffy mountain bike too. I probably rode 30 miles a day on those 2 bikes growing up, and I could keep up with my dad on his road bike somehow (his smoking habit probably helped me). That was 26 years ago, about 18 years since I've stopped riding.

My in laws donated 2 Novara mountain bikes to us 9 years ago that we rode once. Now my kids are old enough to go on short rides so I pulled my bike out again and realized how much I've missed riding.

In the past month I've learned a ton! Learned my mountain bike needs so much attention, $1100 biked in 20 years turns into scrap. I've gotten that thing going well enough to be a pleasure pedling around, and realized I love tinkering on bikes. So I bought 2 pieces of crap for $20 to fix up. Realized my mountain bike wasn't good enough for me to go on longer rides, so I found a road bike. Needless to say, I've got the itch and plenty of bikes to keep me busy lol.

Living in northern California, Solano county. Hoping to get endurance back to go on longer rides, maybe find a few trails to take the mountain bike to, maybe find a club to hang out with. Only time will tell, but I think I'll be on my bike for good this time around.

So... Novara Valletta that works well, nothing special, replaced a few parts, needed to replace and relube a few more. Outfitted with a child carrier to tote around my 18 month old. He loves it so much he climbs into the thing every time he goes into the garage Haha.

wife has a Novara expresso, nothing special, replaced the chain and tubes, but she needs new tires and more maintenance done. It's comfortable to ride, but she doesn't ride often so it's on the back burner.
Old 04-28-20, 12:13 AM
Dwillems26

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Oops, wasn't done haha.

the 2 junk bikes I bought for fun are a 1996 Jamis Earth Cruiser, and a 1992 Nishiki Fushion mountain bike. Both were neglected and left outside. I haven't touched the nishiki yet, but it needs a lot. New shifters is the big one, but the drivetrain is salvageable I think. I want to get it going to put the child carrier on and use to cruise around with the kids.

The Jamis is done except for the rear wheel hub that i need to rebuild. Just having a minor dispute with the seller on Amazon I bought a tool from. Maybe the second vendor I purchased from will send the tool I need 🤷‍♂️ but it was completely broken down and cleaned and rebuilt. New seat, new chain, cables, brake pads, BB, front wheel, tubes and tires, grips, pedals. Probably about $100 put into this bike with $50, but someone will enjoy it. I threw on my wife's rear wheel onto the Jamis and it is a comfortable bike to ride.

Old 04-28-20, 12:21 AM
rogerm3d

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 40 Posts
the shifters on the Nishiki look pretty beat but if you get the insides soaked with wd40 that may loosen up all the moving parts. If they start indexing again clean them up and put fresh (silicone) grease in and you will be one step closer to riding
Old 04-28-20, 12:22 AM
Dwillems26

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
My recent road bike purchase is a 2014 (I think) Raleigh Revenio 1.0. I understand it's not the best bike, originally sold for $600-700 I think. But I gotta tell you, I'm happy with it so far! Think it's a good way to get my feet wet, it's my first ever road bike experience. It's light for my standards, it's so much quicker and agile than the bikes I've had. Shifting is a dream, better than I've ever experienced.

The previous owner kinda neglected it, I doubt he rode it much. Bent rear derailleur hanger (fixed it), slightly bent tires (fixed), worn BB (probably from his crash), broken presta valve (fixed), chain had grease and dirt dripping off of it, derailleurs were not tuned right at all, couldn't even get into the small gear. I just have

to learn how to get the fitting dialed in.

Anyways, I hope to put a lot of miles on this Raleigh and upgrade to a Fuji or hopefully Cannondale at some point. Doubt I'll ever race, but I enjoy the ride
Old 04-28-20, 12:27 AM
Dwillems26

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by rogerm3d
the shifters on the Nishiki look pretty beat but if you get the insides soaked with wd40 that may loosen up all the moving parts. If they start indexing again clean them up and put fresh (silicone) grease in and you will be one step closer to riding
I might be able to save the rear shifter, but the front is toast. It's missing a lever and the casing is smashed.

I haven't touched the nishiki yet since I just have so many other projects. Currently building a desk for my wife too lol.

At least it has a Deore LX groupset. That helped me decide it's worth it.
Old 04-28-20, 12:31 AM
rogerm3d

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 40 Posts
I saw the broken plastic cover but missed the broken lever (which sadly WD40 can't fix)
Old 04-28-20, 12:35 AM
Dwillems26

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I'd be totally willing to machine and 3D print a lever! Unfortunately I don't have those types of tools Haha
Old 04-28-20, 02:33 PM
HeyItsSara
Meet me at spin class!!!!

Bikes: Precor recumbant indoor bike, Stages bike at Equinox gym

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 53 Posts
Welcome! Sounds like you'll fit in very well here!
Likes For HeyItsSara: