Trestles Trail?

Old 04-20-20, 11:55 AM
bikeme

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 31 Posts
Trestles Trail?

I briefly saw on a surfing forum (can't find it now) that the path that surfers and cyclists use to connect to Trestles and Basilone Road was closed, probably due to social distancing concerns. Do you know if that's true and still the case? If so, if one needed to get to O-side, can you just get on 5 fwy. at Christianitos, exit at Basilone and continue through San-O State Campground? Hopefully this is all moot and it's open as usual. Thanks.
Old 04-20-20, 12:41 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1751 Post(s)
Liked 1,422 Times in 973 Posts
Trestles is part of the San Onofre State Beach, so its closed. Even the surf area near the creek's outlet is closed (usually a walk-in from the end of El Camino Real in San Clemente). If you want to get to Oceanside you'll have to ride the I-5 unless you've gone through the protocol to get a permit to ride through the base from the Marines (and those are issued at the Oceanside entrance) so you can get off the I-5 at Basilone Road.
Likes For skidder:
Old 04-20-20, 06:30 PM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1619 Post(s)
Liked 3,087 Times in 1,670 Posts
tried to navigate the camp pendleton website about 2 weeks ago to determine status of cyclist route thru the base-open or closed? couldn't find a definitive answer but i'm assuming the base
is closed to cyclists with the base-issued pass during the covid-19 situation. nearly an hour's worth of freeway riding from basilone road in san clemente to harbor dr in o-side...here i come.
Old 05-01-20, 11:39 AM
bikeme

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 31 Posts
I posted this on another thread but thought it might be helpful here:

A friend who lives in SC did some recon the other day (roughly 4/29) and said the trestles path is closed to all traffic. San-O Bluffs Campground is also closed for camping and all traffic. I was hoping it was at least open to riding a bike through as many parks are. This means getting on the freeway at Christianitos and exiting at Harbor Drive if you must get to O-side, 18 miles on the 5 fwy.
Likes For bikeme:
Old 06-12-20, 12:05 PM
2seven0

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 100 Posts
FYI I surfed Cottons this morning & the trail is open at least from Christianitos south towards Basilone. There is a portable lighted sign at the bridge saying bike path is closed use shoulder but it's open. Only saw 1 cyclist on my way back up the hill.
West
Old 06-13-20, 02:06 AM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1619 Post(s)
Liked 3,087 Times in 1,670 Posts
san onofre state beach was open to cyclists-but not motorized traffic-as of 5/16 when i rode thru camp pendleton to the gate south of the nuclear power plant and back.
did not continue north to trestles that day.