Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Help me with this weird creak

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-20, 09:28 PM
BenBoozer

Bikes: 2020 Domane SL 5, 2016 Crossrip Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 17 Posts

Hello,
My 2018 Domane ALR5 has developed this creak that is driving me crazy. It doesn't start when I get on the bike, takes about a minute or two of riding and then this erratic tick will randomly start. The more I ride, the more it seems to happen. I have removed and lubed darn near everything on the bike. Today, I have finally seemed to figure out what makes it happen... with both hands on the handlebar, it may creak. With only the right hand on or hands free, no creaking. I think this leads to the stem, fork, etc. or possibly the rear isospeed (non-adjustable one) because this may be changing how I sit on the saddle.

Already cleaned and greased the seat post, saddle bracket, chain, chainring, pedals, etc.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by BenBoozer; 05-03-20 at 09:31 PM.
Old 05-04-20, 08:27 AM
Modis

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trek aluminium, have a good look at the welds you might have a crack or cold lapped joint.
Old 05-04-20, 10:25 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
Since you mention it creaks with both hands on the handlebars, but not when you have only one hand on the handlebars, I would look there for your sound. I would loosen and retorque the stem, and handlebars. I would probably go as far as removing the stem and cleaning the surfaces. Possibly even the brake levers could be creaking, depending on where your hands are when you get the creaking.
Old 05-04-20, 11:07 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,217 Posts
My brother had the same problem. He said he thought it was because he filled his bottle with creek water. I'm dealing with a similar problem. Think I've narrowed it down to the seat clamp. I'd try another seatpost but it's an odd size 25.0.
Old 05-04-20, 03:10 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
Two big things that creak I've experienced are loose chainring bolts & loose crank arm bolts. I've also had a creaking handlebar stem on an old steel Trek that was a real PITA.
Old 05-04-20, 04:18 PM
Dwillems26

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Found a creak coming from the front wheel before. It was more of a creak click ping. Had a couple bent spokes. I imagine if there's a couple loose ones or ones too tight they'll probably create a creak.