Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bicycle Noises 🙅‍♂️

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bicycle Noises 🙅‍♂️

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-20, 01:37 AM
Dwillems26

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Bicycle Noises 🙅‍♂️

Disclaimer: This is more of a rant and discussion than a help me find the noise. I know a bike will never be completely silent, and I can do my own troubleshooting for the time being.

I've had my new to me road bike for a couple weeks now. My first ever time on a road bike. I love the thing, but I'm realizing it's too small for me.. different topic, anyways. I've cleaned it up, tuned it, fixed a few things including a bent derailleur hanger, flat tire, worn BB, bent rims. Every time I fix it and ride it I hear something new!

This time I hear a "thud, slide. Thud, slide." Coconuts, there's something INSIDE my inner tube 🤯 I'm praying on the day this tire pops so I can cut it open and find it. Won't even patch it, i just want that noise gone lol
Old 05-05-20, 07:16 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
I couldn't wait, that tire would be right off so I could figure out the noise. If it's the tube, then I'd put a new tube in and cut open the offender to find out what's in it. lol
Old 05-05-20, 08:07 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by Dwillems26
...thud, slide. Thud, slide...
Thud, slide, thud slide....you mean like this?
Old 05-05-20, 09:48 AM
Dwillems26

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
Thud, slide, thud slide....you mean like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyU99BCNRuU
😂 exactly! Lol
Old 05-05-20, 10:55 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
I would not be able to wait to see if, in fact, the noise is coming from the tire/tube. I love a quiet bike, and noises very much challenge my patience. I like quiet hubs, ratchet noise that is too loud will cause me to stop using that wheel. I am noise sensitive in more ways than I can name in this post. Creaks, squeeks, vibrations, anything like that on a bicycle just drives me crazy. I love dogs, but there are some in my neighborhood that downright piss me off. Actually, it is the owners that I get mad at. One dog is a chihuahua, one jack russell and two mutts that will carry on for long periods of time. When they all get going at the same time, I really have to show some self control to keep my anger and frustration in check. I have had sleep issues my whole life, quite a bit of that is tied into noise sensitivity.
Old 05-05-20, 11:02 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
The one thing I dislike about my velomobile. The CF body acts like a giant acoustic chamber, and I hear every little thing in there. Every bump is loud (even with full suspension). It's like a big amplifier.

One the plus side, the sound system rocks.
Likes For Notso_fastLane:
Old 05-06-20, 04:00 PM
JayKay3000

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 50 Posts
It won't make a noise if you don't ride it.
Old 05-06-20, 05:06 PM
Ross520

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Dwillems26
Disclaimer: This is more of a rant and discussion than a help me find the noise. I know a bike will never be completely silent, and I can do my own troubleshooting for the time being.

I've had my new to me road bike for a couple weeks now. My first ever time on a road bike. I love the thing, but I'm realizing it's too small for me.. different topic, anyways. I've cleaned it up, tuned it, fixed a few things including a bent derailleur hanger, flat tire, worn BB, bent rims. Every time I fix it and ride it I hear something new!

This time I hear a "thud, slide. Thud, slide." Coconuts, there's something INSIDE my inner tube 🤯 I'm praying on the day this tire pops so I can cut it open and find it. Won't even patch it, i just want that noise gone lol
Fix it now, before it causes an issue on the road. It's a safety issue, and tubes are CHEAP.
Old 05-08-20, 09:26 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Are you sure the tire is seated properly? A pinched tube that prevented the tire from seating might cause that. Something inside the tube seems highly unlikely.
Old 05-08-20, 02:13 PM
Buzzkill53120

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 2019, Trek Trek Madone 5.1 (2011), Trek 1400 (1991)

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 33 Posts
In some double walled rims there is slug that holds the ends together when they weld it. The slug can be come loose and rattle or make a sound like a shoop shoop hula hoop. Could be an errant spoke nipple lost in the rim during building. I would remove the tire and tube, shake and rotate the wheel and see if you hear the sound. If that's not it, inspect the tire and tube.
Old 05-09-20, 10:39 AM
Dwillems26

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Buzzkill53120
In some double walled rims there is slug that holds the ends together when they weld it. The slug can be come loose and rattle or make a sound like a shoop shoop hula hoop. Could be an errant spoke nipple lost in the rim during building. I would remove the tire and tube, shake and rotate the wheel and see if you hear the sound. If that's not it, inspect the tire and tube.
That's really good insight. I'll take it apart today. Thanks buzzkill