Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Ordered waiting till Feb. 2021

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Ordered waiting till Feb. 2021

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-20, 07:17 PM
Mulberry20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by jay4usc
once the gyms opens up, Craigslist will be filled with used bikes
Probably, a lot of people won’t return to the gym right away. In 2019 I did over 500 HIIT, spin, boxing and weights classes. I was running ahead of that pace before the shutdown. I have been riding everyday now with not much interest in the gym because group fitness will be severely cut back.
Old 08-12-20, 07:26 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3672 Post(s)
Liked 5,427 Times in 2,757 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Wasn't alive then, but can't say I've heard of thebdake shortage. Was that before or after the real shortage. All those people waiting in line for rationed amounts of gas really did happen so I know you aren't misrepresenting that...
I think he's conflating the "bike boom" of the late 60's/early 70's with the very real OPEC oil embargo that began in late 1973. Both happened close to 50 years ago, so easy for an older brain to jumble them.
Old 08-12-20, 07:43 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Mulberry20
Probably, a lot of people won’t return to the gym right away. In 2019 I did over 500 HIIT, spin, boxing and weights classes. I was running ahead of that pace before the shutdown. I have been riding everyday now with not much interest in the gym because group fitness will be severely cut back.
just like you I was also a gym rat. I just started riding when the gyms closed down. I have enjoyed riding so much that I have decided that I’d rather be riding outdoors than pedaling a stationary bike and don’t see myself going back to the gym for any cardio exercises. I may still lift weights when they open but I can’t see myself going back for at least a year after COVID is under control.
Old 08-12-20, 07:58 PM
Mulberry20

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
just like you I was also a gym rat. I just started riding when the gyms closed down. I have enjoyed riding so much that I have decided that I’d rather be riding outdoors than pedaling a stationary bike and don’t see myself going back to the gym for any cardio exercises. I may still lift weights when they open but I can’t see myself going back for at least a year after COVID is under control.
Some of my trainers are doing classes in Central Park to make ends meet. There is a kettlebell class on Saturday morning I want to go to. Ill bring my bike and ride after.

I miss the computer game spin class. It was a team class and incredibly challenging, 90 minutes.
Old 08-12-20, 08:12 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,969 Times in 1,918 Posts
at some point the areas that have snowy winters will not be able to go outside for cardio exercising.

Glad to have my own [limited] equipment
Old 08-12-20, 08:21 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
at some point the areas that have snowy winters will not be able to go outside for cardio exercising.

Glad to have my own [limited] equipment
am very lucky to be living in Socal where our ave temperature is in the 70s year round and very little rain.
Old 08-12-20, 08:25 PM
Planemaker

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Call Bicycle Exchange in Wichita Kansas. They are getting in new bikes (Trek) almost everyday. I don’t know how they get them but, they have a lot of bikes including the 2021 models.
Old 08-12-20, 08:26 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,969 Times in 1,918 Posts
Originally Posted by Planemaker
Call Bicycle Exchange in Wichita Kansas. They are getting in new bikes (Trek) almost everyday. I don’t know how they get them but, they have a lot of bikes including the 2021 models.
segregated retailing at its finest.
Old 08-12-20, 08:45 PM
Planemaker

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
segregated retailing at its finest.
Not sure what you mean.

These guys are on the ball and able to get bikes when others can’t.

Just trying to help someone out who might need a bike sooner.
Old 08-12-20, 09:09 PM
Bikerdrummer

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Mulberry20
same here. I used to hit the gym 4 days a week. A few weeks after the gyms closed I started to gain weight and felt not great. My friend got me to start riding my old mountain bike (a cool vintage Takara steel framed bike from the late 80’s). Since then I bought a new road bike and just ordered a wahoo.
love it. Been doing 15 miles a day.
Old 08-13-20, 09:53 AM
capt_velo

Bikes: 1988 Gitane Team Replica, 2022 Trek Top Fuel 9.8

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Local bike chain in the Dallas area, 3 stores, says they've back ordered 11k bikes! I can't post links yet, so here's the quote....
In more than 30 years in business, Richardson Bike Mart owner and President Woody Smith said he has never seen a bicycle shortage like the one that has occurred since the beginning of the coronavirus pandemic.

“It's crazy busy,” Smith said of the demand from people wanting to do more cycling. “We've got 11,000 bicycles on back order, which is probably twice as much as we normally have.”