Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Helix Update?

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Helix Update?

Old 04-13-18, 12:53 PM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 783 Post(s)
Liked 233 Times in 198 Posts
Originally Posted by MrFlamey
Do you know if the changes to the dimensions of the Vellobike+ were mentioned to backers during development? That fold looks kind of messy compared to the prototype
No, it wasn't announced and is still not confirmed by the creators.

There is also no clear information about the weight increase, they just recognize that the delivered bikes are heavier than announced during the kickstarter campaign and stated that their Vellobike+ "remains the lightest electric assist folding bike".

There are only the pictures that show the difference between the original design and the actual design.

I suppose they were forced to do that to provide a good+safe behavior to the bike because such an increase of the length of the rear triangle should improve the bike stability.

The increase of the folded bike size is an unavoidable undesired consequence of that.

From what was written in the last update sposted by the creators about the titanium frame model, it seems that the titanium frame manufacturing won't start anytime soon.

At this time, their main concern of the creators seems not to deliver the backers bikes but to establish their business.
Old 04-14-18, 01:10 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by Jipe
snipped

At this time, their main concern of the creators seems not to deliver the backers bikes but to establish their business.
I think you made a very good point here and I wonder if this will happen with the Helix brand? The focus of this thread has changed in different directions over its long haul but it has shifted to seeing a complete bike built. Even if a bike is built, can Helix deliver it to the backers at the price they paid or will they do something different like try to establish their brand?
Old 04-14-18, 03:12 PM
Jipe

Originally Posted by blakcloud
I think you made a very good point here and I wonder if this will happen with the Helix brand? The focus of this thread has changed in different directions over its long haul but it has shifted to seeing a complete bike built. Even if a bike is built, can Helix deliver it to the backers at the price they paid or will they do something different like try to establish their brand?
Seeing all the effort put into creating manufacturing facilities, it seems to me obvious that Peter tries to create a brand and did not create all this to only produce the backers and pre-ordered bikes.

If he succeed in creating a brand, he must deliver the pre-ordered bikes which are normal sales. If he doesn't, he must at least refund all pre-orders.

For the backers bike, nothing forces him to deliver bikes but for the success of the brand, he should deliver them. Not delivering them would be a disaster from a marketing point of view.
Old 04-14-18, 04:35 PM
Gibsonsean

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Gibsonsean
Hopefully this weekend's update will reveal more but accessories can wait. The bike's the thing.
Placeholder update is out with the full update pushed back a week.
Old 04-14-18, 06:08 PM
Revoltingest
Widely Despised

Bikes: Dahon Helios, Dahon P8, Bike Friday tandem, Ingo, Trek, Columbia, Helix

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
In the video, the frame welding robot is pretty spiffy.
Old 04-14-18, 06:15 PM
MrFlamey

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Revoltingest
In the video, the frame welding robot is pretty spiffy.
The almost identical completed welds are even more spiffy! Looking forward to the real update next week...
Old 04-15-18, 11:59 AM
funk17

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
vello bike, change of hinges

Full disclosure: I've backed vello bike on kickstarter, so might be considered an invested fanboy. But of course,
I'm also not at all thrilled by the delays and silent weight/dimension increases in the vello campaign.

However, the main reason for the increased folding width (from 71 to 79 cms, as far as I can tell), does make sense: The original prototype (and vello bike version 2) folded the rear behind the bottom bracket, thus folding
changed the distance for the chain/belt, which doesn't really work for a belt without a chain tensioner. The current design puts the bottom bracket on the rear rather than on the main frame, and thus folds before the bottom bracket, achieving a constant tension on the chain/belt while folding. At some point they seem to have
considered putting folding hinge and bottom bracket on one axle (can't find the picture anymore), but that probably didn't work out stability wise.

2cms folding hinge behind the bottom bracket, vs. 2 cms before add up to the 8 cms increased folding width of the current design; all doubles up. Some of the reinforcements for this redesign explain part of the increased weight. One can blaim the vello bike creators for never explaining this redesign clearly, but it takes a few words to do so

Apparently, cutting edge folding bike design isn't that easy (look for Andrew Richie's/London Business School talk for the brompton perspective.
Old 04-16-18, 12:04 AM
Jipe

Originally Posted by funk17
Full disclosure: I've backed vello bike on kickstarter, so might be considered an invested fanboy. But of course,
I'm also not at all thrilled by the delays and silent weight/dimension increases in the vello campaign.

However, the main reason for the increased folding width (from 71 to 79 cms, as far as I can tell), does make sense: The original prototype (and vello bike version 2) folded the rear behind the bottom bracket, thus folding
changed the distance for the chain/belt, which doesn't really work for a belt without a chain tensioner. The current design puts the bottom bracket on the rear rather than on the main frame, and thus folds before the bottom bracket, achieving a constant tension on the chain/belt while folding. At some point they seem to have
considered putting folding hinge and bottom bracket on one axle (can't find the picture anymore), but that probably didn't work out stability wise.

2cms folding hinge behind the bottom bracket, vs. 2 cms before add up to the 8 cms increased folding width of the current design; all doubles up. Some of the reinforcements for this redesign explain part of the increased weight. One can blaim the vello bike creators for never explaining this redesign clearly, but it takes a few words to do so

Apparently, cutting edge folding bike design isn't that easy (look for Andrew Richie's/London Business School talk for the brompton perspective.

Did you receive your Vellobike+ ? Are the dimensions measured on the bike you received ?

From the pictures, it indeed seems that the folding changed and the bottom braked position folded changed but also that the rear triangle length increased what also should increase the wheelbase ?

I do not think that the reinforcement of the frame can add 2.5kg (the announced 2kg + the weight saving provided by the use of Kojak instead of Marathon tires), this is a lot compared to the typical weight of a folding bike frame.

What people backing these type of projects should understand is that they are backers and not customers = they give their money to develop a product and create a brand/company, they are not buying a product even if they might eventually receive a product as reward for their funding.
Old 04-21-18, 07:39 AM
unclejemima

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I’ve been off the forum for a bit patiently waiting for helix news!

I’m confused to what comes next...is the bike supposed to be delivered to its first customer in the next week/s and that’s all we are waiting for? Or are they still testing/and pre production working???
Old 04-21-18, 09:36 AM
Gibsonsean

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by unclejemima
I’ve been off the forum for a bit patiently waiting for helix news!

I’m confused to what comes next...is the bike supposed to be delivered to its first customer in the next week/s and that’s all we are waiting for? Or are they still testing/and pre production working???
There was a big update due last weekend, postponed to this weekend. This should include production schedule, instructions on finalising options and shopping address amongst other things.

The interim update last weekend showed some impressive pics and videos of welding consistentency but no final production bike pic still.
Old 04-21-18, 11:26 AM
DaKineDatFolds

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No fat lady yet. Charlize Theron had to eat Mac and Cheese at 2am to maintain her 50 LB weight gain. This is for the movie, Tully. Let that be incentive for Spanky Lady.
Old 04-21-18, 01:26 PM
unclejemima

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So this weekend as today or tomorrow? I will stay tuned to the forum!
Old 04-21-18, 01:54 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
So this weekend as today or tomorrow? I will stay tuned to the forum!
"This weekend" as "Ok maybe next weekend but testing is almost done and everything is going great no worries you can count on me." 👍
Old 04-22-18, 06:06 AM
Revoltingest
Widely Despised

Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
Today's update has laser cutting & welding videos.
The former machine sounds like a steam whistle at times.
Official update is planned for next week (planned).
Did I say planned?
The production parts look great.
Old 04-22-18, 06:57 AM
Gibsonsean

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Revoltingest
Today's update has laser cutting & welding videos.
The former machine sounds like a steam whistle at times.
Official update is planned for next week (planned).
Did I say planned?
The production parts look great.
That was last week's interim update
Old 04-22-18, 07:43 AM
Huapango

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would like to transfer my Kickstarter pledge for (2) 11 Speed Shimano Alfine Helix Folding Bikes to an interested party. Send me an e-mail for additional details.

Derek
Old 04-22-18, 07:56 AM
Revoltingest
Widely Despised

Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gibsonsean
That was last week's interim update
I checked, but didn't see the most recent one til this morning.
It's somewhat similar to the mid-March update (which had no steam whistle sound).
Old 04-22-18, 08:38 AM
MrFlamey

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
There was another update today. They are still waiting on a couple of parts from their suppliers that have gotten delayed, but everything in house seems to be going pretty well. More videos of frames getting made, some production schedule info, size and it looks like they have been prototyping accessories in the meantime while they are waiting on the aforementioned parts, and even the prototypes look great.

I hope they can get my bike shipped by Autumn, since that's pretty much peak perfect weather for riding season here, but who knows. Things are looking pretty good right now, but who knows if they'll have problems with production, or heaven forbid, need to do any recalls.
Old 04-22-18, 08:43 AM
Revoltingest
Widely Despised

Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
They just updated the update!
Old 04-22-18, 09:07 AM
unclejemima

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Huapango
I would like to transfer my Kickstarter pledge for (2) 11 Speed Shimano Alfine Helix Folding Bikes to an interested party. Send me an e-mail for additional details.

Derek
Dude. Seriously...your so close . Why give up now??? I’d be interested...but how legit is the transfer process? Is it handled by Helix?
Old 04-22-18, 09:24 AM
Gibsonsean

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Wow! Never mind the spanky lady. What a spanky bike! Great update. Bike and accessories looking spectacular and manufacturing process is something to behold. Hope it sings and dances as well as it poses.
Old 04-22-18, 09:39 AM
Gibsonsean

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Dude. Seriously...your so close . Why give up now??? I’d be interested...but how legit is the transfer process? Is it handled by Helix?
I took on a backership as a non backer a while back. A bit clunky to do but easy enough.

Helix will transfer the ownership and sort portal access on their systems but don't handle the funds side of things which I sorted directly with the backer and using an escrow service.

PM me if you want details.
Old 04-22-18, 10:32 AM
Revoltingest
Widely Despised

Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
The accessories must be on a different update venue....not in the account
part of the Helix website. It would be nice to know more about them.

Edit:
I see the fenders & front bag mount now.
Old 04-22-18, 12:45 PM
Huapango

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I need the money, basically. I'll shoot an e-mail to Peter (from Helix) to see how it's done.
Old 04-22-18, 04:19 PM
Tata

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Huapango
I need the money, basically. I'll shoot an e-mail to Peter (from Helix) to see how it's done.

I’m interested in the position for your two bikes but can’t message you directly through here because this is my first post. You can email me by adding “mundo” after my bikeforums username at mac dot com.
Thanks!

Last edited by Tata; 04-23-18 at 10:10 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.