Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New to road cycling. Some advice?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-16, 07:15 PM
bay88

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all -- hoping to receive some advice on how to get started in road cycling. Here's what's worth knowing about me:

- I can ride a bike. I'm also experienced riding on city streets, in traffic, as I used to commute on a bike in Manhattan.

- I'm looking at buying a "real" road bike for a couple of reasons:
- Ever since I injured my knee I haven't been able to run, and I've been struggling to find ways to get that GOOD cardio. I know that the low-impact nature of cycling is better on my knee.
- I recently moved to a beautiful part of the country with abundant opportunities to explore via bike.
- I'm willing to spend up to ~$1,200 to get a good setup and start getting out there. But I'm admittedly unfamiliar with the hardware (have mercy on me!).

I'd appreciate any and all recommendations about getting started. If you were me, what would you buy? Should I start out with the clipless or no? Should I buy online or go into a bike shop (I work in sales... so I'm more than a little concerned about my newbie status being taken advantage of)? Any good road bikes in my price range that you're crazy about?
Old 07-21-16, 07:24 PM
Kevindale

Bikes: 1980 Koga-Miyata Gentsluxe-S, 1998 Eddy Merckx Corsa 01, 1983 Tommasini Racing, 2012 Gulf Western CAAD10, 1980 Univega Gran Premio

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Welcome. There are several very similar threads that have gotten started on this forum in just the last week, and I'm sure hundreds of others in the archives. I'd start there.

Regarding your knee injury, it's not too hard to exacerbate a knee injury on a bike, because you use that joint more than any other on your body when your ride. So start slow, and consider swimming, as there's no better cardio exercise that will also not stress your knee.
Old 07-21-16, 07:37 PM
canam73

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Go to a shop. It will cost more, but your paying for knowledge. And most importantly, a good fit and set up.

Shop around for the right shop, somebody who will spend time with you and let you try out different bikes. They should also give you a discount on accesories with your purchase and include some future tune up work as you and your bike settle in. A great shop might let you swap stems and saddles until you get it right. Don't be surprised if this takes a while.

Go clipless, and spend a really long time trying on shoes. And get some decent bike shorts, or better, bibs. Having comfortable feet and butt will be a thousand times more important than having Ultegra instead of Tiagra. Figure this stuff and a helmet and gloves into your budget if you haven't yet. And a pump and flat kit. Good sunglasses. If it means a cheaper bike, so be it. In fact, better. Get a cheap bike. If cycling sticks with you you will probably want something different in a year no matter what you buy now.
Old 07-21-16, 07:50 PM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Anything that fits right (frame size to start and you can swap saddles and stems/spacers as you get more experience and familiarity on the bike) and is 105/Ultegra/DuraAce. Really, 105 minimum.

If you're looking to do longer (and/or slower) rides, consider a "century" bike like a Specialized Roubaix. If you're looking to shorter (and/or faster) rides, consider a racing bike (like a Tarmac) or an Aero bike (like Venge).

Doesn't have to be specialized I just know their products best.
Old 07-21-16, 07:58 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22578 Post(s)
Liked 8,919 Times in 4,153 Posts
Cough, CAAD, cough.
Old 07-21-16, 08:04 PM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
CAAD 6? CAAD 12? CAAD 8? What's the differences between each? Why CAAD and not, say a Trek or a Giant? That's assuming he even knows what CAAD means.

Or is it some cult thing where he'll get girls flashing him when they drive by?

(Seriously, could you at least try to be helpful?)
Old 07-21-16, 08:39 PM
dksix

Bikes: Basso Luguna, Fuji Nevada

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4261 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
I think $1200 will fall a little short to getting you on one of the big name brands (Trek, Specialized, Cannondale) with Tiagra level group. Many consider Shimano's 105 to be the minimum group level but with the current Tiagra (4700 series) being so close to last generation 105 (5700 series) both 10 speed, I'd think Tiagra would be the starting point. The Tiagra level bikes from the carry an MSRP in the $1200-$1400 range (some samples)
Émonda ALR 4 | Trek Bikes
Domane ALR 4 | Trek Bikes
https://www.cannondale.com/en/USA/Bik...e-779bb5bec710 https://www.cannondale.com/en/USA/Bik...b-6ea0e0343297 https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bi...w-elite/106649
When you figure in some shoes, helmet and riding clothes these bike will push you well over the $1200 mark. Drop back to some other brands and buying online and you can get into bikes from Nashbar, Bikes Direct and Performance Bikes and you can get a lot of bike for the $1K range but you're running a pretty big risk with getting the sizing right. If you live in an area that gives you access to a Performance Bikes or maybe REI you'd have you best chance a hitting you mark and getting the most bang for you buck.

This is the right time of year to find some good deals on 2016 models at the LBS (local bike shop) with the 2017 models now being released but of course you run a risk of being pushed or tempted into a size or bike that's not exactly what you want/need.
Old 07-21-16, 08:49 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/bid/5647343925.html

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/bid/5663557615.html

Old 07-21-16, 09:02 PM
2lo8

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dksix
Many consider Shimano's 105 to be the minimum group level but with the current Tiagra (4700 series) being so close to last generation 105 (5700 series) both 10 speed, I'd think Tiagra would be the starting point.
Except for the grams, it's mostly better than 5700. It's like a heavier 10 speed 5800. The grams (as far as grams go) are pretty bad though, they made the crank heavier so it could have the proprietary fancy looking 4 arm cranks.
Old 07-21-16, 09:19 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Factor into your budget: shoes, pedals, helmet, clothing, basic tools, pump, spare tubes....

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 07-22-16, 10:00 AM
bay88

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks all. Some great input so far. What about this Tiagra? On sale locally.
Old 07-22-16, 10:38 AM
velociraptor
Fatty McFatcakes

Bikes: Aero Cheeseburger w/ Sr(h)am eBacon

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I think $1200 will fall a little short to getting you on one of the big name brands (Trek, Specialized, Cannondale) with Tiagra level group.
Au contraire, mon frère...

Check out these fantastic, brand new Tiagra+ bikes for ~$1200:

Fuji Roubaix 1.3 (105) - $1199

Eddy Merckx BlockHaus67 (Tiagra) - $1199

Giant Defy 2 Disc (Tiagra) - $1200

Specialized Allez DSW Elite (Tiagra) - $1250

Cannondale CAAD8 (Tiagra) - $1250

Emonda ALR4 (Tiagra) - $1310
Old 07-22-16, 10:40 AM
velociraptor
Fatty McFatcakes

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bay88
Seems like a good deal, but you'll need to make sure they still have your size in stock.

A new 2016 is only $1,250.
Old 07-22-16, 11:45 AM
dksix

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by velociraptor
Au contraire, mon frère...

Check out these fantastic, brand new Tiagra+ bikes for ~$1200:

Fuji Roubaix 1.3 (105) - $1199

Eddy Merckx BlockHaus67 (Tiagra) - $1199

Giant Defy 2 Disc (Tiagra) - $1200

Specialized Allez DSW Elite (Tiagra) - $1250

Cannondale CAAD8 (Tiagra) - $1250

Emonda ALR4 (Tiagra) - $1310
You did agree with what I said and then provide duplicate information? In my state the sales tax will push those bikes closer to $1350 than $1200 and once gear is added the cost will likely exceed $1500. I stand behind the information I provided.
Old 07-22-16, 11:48 AM
12strings

Bikes: 2015 Jamis Quest Comp

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Bike fit, saddle, bike fit, shorts, bike fit...did I mention fit yet?

Getting bike that fits you and has the saddle and handlebars in the right place, even if it weighs 20+ lbs and has Claris or Sora components, will be a much more pleasant experience than a 105 or illegal level bike that doesn't fit right.

Also, some with knee problems find that clipping in exacerbates the problem, others find that with some adjusting of cleat position, and loose float (how tight the pedal is attached to your shoe cleat), those problems are eliminated.
Old 07-22-16, 11:58 AM
RPK79
Custom User Title

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix Pro & Quintana Roo Kilo

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Cough, CAAD, cough.
You should get this looked at. Sounds productive.
Old 07-22-16, 12:05 PM
velociraptor
Fatty McFatcakes

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
You did agree with what I said and then provide duplicate information?
Oh sorry, you're right... Saw the Trek links, but my eyes totally glazed over the subsequent, illegible links.

In my state the sales tax will push those bikes closer to $1350 than $1200 and once gear is added the cost will likely exceed $1500.
I didn't realize that anyone paid list retail for a new bike(?)

I stand by my post – any of the bikes I listed can be had for $1200 out the door, after taxes (the Emonda might be the only exception – but hey, we're coming up on the end of the season so anything's possible).

And every LBS I've ever been to offers a 10-20% discount on related gear with bike purchase... So helmet, shoes & shorts could likely all be had for ~$100.

I mean come on, anybody here ever read Art of The Deal? It's HUGE.
Old 07-22-16, 12:26 PM
DBT

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
First off, welcome to the Bay! There are plenty of great rides just outside your door.

Depending on how strong you are (and how well you ride hills), pay attention to the gearing on the bike. It is extremely difficult to find a ride without going up a bit. If you are buying new, pretty much every bike you will look at will have compact (50/34) chainrings. Larger cogs in the rear will take a bit of the sting out of climbing.
Old 07-22-16, 12:33 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Wow, that Fuji seems like a great deal.
Old 07-22-16, 12:45 PM
wheelreason

Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 624 Times in 369 Posts
Originally Posted by RPK79
You should get this looked at. Sounds productive.
I can never figure out which Robittusin® to buy...

Oh, and I do just fine on a 22 lb aluminum cyclocross Sora bike on the group rides full of SWorks this and Red that... A road bike needs to do two things, fit and work, everything else sits atop.
Old 07-22-16, 12:58 PM
dksix

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by velociraptor
Oh sorry, you're right... Saw the Trek links, but my eyes totally glazed over the subsequent, illegible links.

I didn't realize that anyone paid list retail for a new bike(?)

I stand by my post – any of the bikes I listed can be had for $1200 out the door, after taxes (the Emonda might be the only exception – but hey, we're coming up on the end of the season so anything's possible).

And every LBS I've ever been to offers a 10-20% discount on related gear with bike purchase... So helmet, shoes & shorts could likely all be had for ~$100.

I mean come on, anybody here ever read Art of The Deal? It's HUGE.
I'm sure you've bought more new bikes than I have. What I've looked at locally were at least MSRP (looked at Fuji's that were priced OVER the price posted on Fuji.com) and we have a 9.5% sales tax in TN. I suppose I'm painting a pretty clear picture of why I've not bought new bikes. Maybe in areas where there is some competition shops are forced to be more competitive. The only bike shop is the closest town to me is on average 200% + higher on parts and accessories ($39.95 for a 700x25 Ultra Sport II) and has the Fuji Sportif 2.1 I first looked at for $899. I went in there just a week ago looking for a tire, ended up ordering 2 Grand Prix GT from Ribble for $2 more a PAIR than a single Ultra Sport II locally but I'm wait for them to come in. Like they say, not all LBS's are created equally.
Old 07-22-16, 01:09 PM
goenrdoug

Bikes: 2019 Supersix Evo, 2002 Trek 2000

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
That is a decent choice, but is only available in 51 and 58 cm sizes -- which would be okay if you're either ~5'1" or ~6' tall.

How tall are you? How flexible are you? How old are you? How much do you weigh?

With those bits, we can possibly steer you toward some specific listings on Craigslist (San Francisco, right?) that might be suitable used options (where you can potentially get a lot more bike for your $)
Old 07-22-16, 01:25 PM
bay88

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by goenrdoug
How tall are you? How flexible are you? How old are you? How much do you weigh?
I should have thought to provide this, sorry. I'm 6'1, ~165lbs, 27 years old. Fairly flexible, in fair-to-good shape, active, and largely comfortable with discomfort and endurance.
Old 07-22-16, 01:37 PM
velociraptor
Fatty McFatcakes

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I should have thought to provide this, sorry. I'm 6'1, ~165lbs, 27 years old. Fairly flexible, in fair-to-good shape, active, and largely comfortable with discomfort and endurance.
At 6'1, definitely go check out that 2015 size 58 Synapse for $910.

Unless you think you might want a bike with more of a racing geometry. I'll leave it to someone else to explain what that means.
Old 07-22-16, 01:41 PM
goenrdoug

Bikes: 2019 Supersix Evo, 2002 Trek 2000

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Keep in mind that while you have a budget, it's going to get blown away if you're not careful. You're going to want jersies, shorts, shoes, pedals, bottles, flat repair kit, goo to smear on your taint, a helmet, arm warmers, special socks, etc. etc. etc. You're not just buying a bike, you're investing in a hobby that will last a while and absorb some of your ongoing entertainment/fitness budget... So, consider that..

Here are a few used options at various price points:
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/5654706943.html
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/bik/5694472721.html
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/bik/5644830997.html
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/bik/5688801811.html
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/bik/5691222049.html
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/bik/5689387015.html