Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Anyone have experience with Synvisc?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-16, 02:05 PM
DaveQ24

Bikes: Enough plus 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Back in August, orthopedic doc said I had no cartilidge in my left knee, and put me on NSAID (mobic). Said to come back if that didn't do what I wanted to do.

Next step is injections. He said cortisone probably wouldn't do much for it, in his opinion, and that Synvisc would be the better option.

After 2 months on the NSAID, I decided I want to try the next step. Pain isn't that big of a deal, but I have instability and some loss of freedom of motion in certain directions - and that is directly affecting where I want to go in my life.

I've heard very good things about Synvisc, just wanted to know if anyone had any comments/thoughts? TIA.
Old 10-20-16, 02:27 PM
SloButWide 
Heck on Wheels

Bikes: In Signature

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
My ex swore by it. (She also swore at me, but let's skip that part). Her Mom and Aunts all have artificial knees, and hers were headed that way. She's taken the periodic injections for a few years, and it seems to help enough that she's holding off on the replacements.

Bikes so far: 2011 Felt Z85, 80's Raleigh Sovereign (USA), 91 Bianchi Peregrine, 91 Austro-Daimler Pathfinder, 90's Trek 730 Multitrack, STOLEN: 80 Schwinn Voyageur (Japan)

Old 10-20-16, 02:28 PM
Altair 4

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 157 Posts
My wife used it with pretty good results for a while until the ortho doc passed the chore of giving the injections to a PA or RN (can't remember). Her last injection was painful, gave no relieve (in fact she felt worse for months), and left her with a bad taste for the doc. So I guess the lesson is that it's only as good as the person administering it.

-Edit- My wife rides only occasionally, slowly, and not far.
Old 10-20-16, 02:34 PM
DaveQ24

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks. I'm too young for a knee replacement - 51. So I want to hold off as long as possible.
Old 10-20-16, 05:05 PM
groth
astro

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, '72, Bianchi Volpe, '97 (no more, it died), Greenspeed GTVS6, '05, Trek 520, '13

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveQ24
Back in August, orthopedic doc said I had no cartilidge in my left knee, and put me on NSAID (mobic). Said to come back if that didn't do what I wanted to do.

Next step is injections. He said cortisone probably wouldn't do much for it, in his opinion, and that Synvisc would be the better option.

After 2 months on the NSAID, I decided I want to try the next step. Pain isn't that big of a deal, but I have instability and some loss of freedom of motion in certain directions - and that is directly affecting where I want to go in my life.

I've heard very good things about Synvisc, just wanted to know if anyone had any comments/thoughts? TIA.
No cartilage in the right knee here. Did physical therapy, still a lot of pain. Next step was Synvisc. Doc said some people get an injection and they're fine for years. Others need an injection every 6 months. So I had an injection. It worked, but after 7 months the pain was back. Back to the doc. X-rays. Contact insurance company for approval. Order Synvisc. After two months of pain, another injection. This is crazy - once you know you need it, why can't you just go get it. Apparently insurance companies rule all. I complained enough to the doc that he finally decided to make the case for a knee replacement (which I'd been after for several years). Finally had the replacement in January, 2012 at age 65.5. Was riding again in 2 months. This year at age 70 started playing softball with the graduate students again (our department plays in the C league whose main goal is to drink a lot of beer!). Getting the replacement before you lose all strength and flexibility in the joint helps a lot!

- Ed
Old 10-20-16, 05:19 PM
DaveQ24

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Softball at 70 - good for you! I haven't specifically looked at my insurance for synvisc but overall it!s great coverage so I hope it's going to be covered. Will call them just to be sure.
Old 10-22-16, 04:10 PM
CrankyOne

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
Agree with the comments above that it's only as good as the person doing the injection. That's been our and friends experience. I don't think I'd ever let a nurse or PA do it any more than letting them to surgery.
Old 10-22-16, 05:00 PM
metalheart44

Bikes: Holland Exogrid & Holland HC

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Prior to my knee replacements, I had cortisone injections for a couple of years. Sometimes they provided months of pain relief, other time just a few weeks. I also tried a different viscosupplementation (Supartz) rather than Synvisc with similar results: sometimes it provided substantial relief other times very short term relief. As much as I resisted knee replacement, it turned out to be the better alternative for me. And, increasingly age is less of an issue in knee replacement and I know multiple people in their late 40's and early 50's who have had successful knee replacements. Check it out........