Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Cassette AND freewheel play

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 05-05-20, 12:37 AM
Dwillems26

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

I have 2 bikes, 1 with a cassette, the other a freewheel. On both bikes, if I grasp the big ring I can wiggle them, the whole assembly slightly wiggles. I know about freewheel wobble and this isn't that.

I'm assuming I know the most likely cause, but I want to heat some experience and advice.

The cassette probably just needs tightened to the hub, usually a 10mm hex key.

The freewheel it looks like the outer assembly is wiggling, but the inner casing seems to stay solid. So I'm assuming it's the bearing race/retainer that needs tightened up. Either it's loose or I need to remove a shim under the race. ?

I was going to pull it apart last night, but realized I didn't have the right size cone wrench so I didn't want to mess with it yet.
Old 05-05-20, 01:02 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 311 Posts
It's more likely that your hub cones need tightening.
Old 05-05-20, 02:17 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by Dwillems26
I have 2 bikes, 1 with a cassette, the other a freewheel. On both bikes, if I grasp the big ring I can wiggle them, the whole assembly slightly wiggles. I know about freewheel wobble and this isn't that.

I'm assuming I know the most likely cause, but I want to heat some experience and advice.

The cassette probably just needs tightened to the hub, usually a 10mm hex key.
The cassette mounts to the freehub BODY, which in turns mounts to the hub. What you suggests will tighten the f/h body to the hub while doing nothing for how tight the cassette is mounted to the f/h body.

The freewheel it looks like the outer assembly is wiggling, but the inner casing seems to stay solid. So I'm assuming it's the bearing race/retainer that needs tightened up. Either it's loose or I need to remove a shim under the race. ?
If this refers to first disassembling the f/w, then removing a shim would be my first guess.
While ”things coming loose” is always a possibility, keep in mind that the only load a freewheel or freehub carries as it’s coasting is the chain tension. And particularly for derailer gear bikes, that ain’t much. A little slop doesn’t hurt anything and speeds up production.
If you insist on doing something about it, removing a shim may well be what the cassette wheel ”needs” too. For Shimano f/h, there usually is one or two under the DS wheel bearing cup.
Likes For dabac: