Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Introduce Yourselves!

Old 08-28-07, 06:50 AM
ginsu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey all! 37yo M 5-9 / 225 here. Last summer I was down to 215 and did ok in my first road race (30mi Tour De Loop, Oswego, NY). Well, after a full year of cycling, CTS training dvds and riding in the spring / summer I actually gained 10 more pounds and was back to 225. I want to get to 185 possibly 175 if I got crazy. I love cycling and really dig it sinc eI got a new saddle which eliminated NUMBNESS in all the wrong palces.

I did the Tou De Loop again last weekend and actually had a much SLOWER time, my back tightened up early in the race, I cramped up and I just dont know what to do. I was very depressed. I think I am going to start wiht a diet to get back down to 210 and then go from there. I just feel SO SLOW and HEAVY when I get on the bike. I dont feel fast at all. Anyway, its good for my heart as my Polar index went up to 47 and I am just into feeling better and riding with some more consistent speed.

I also have a question on wheel flex as when I get out of the saddle, I hear the front brakes touch against the rim as I pump away. I have a giant OCR C3. and i also get numbness in the hands.
Old 08-28-07, 01:54 PM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
OK, the back issue:

My suggestion would be to FIRST warm up your muscles and then get stretched properly.

Hand issue, likely too much pressure on your hands, which can be caused by either weak core muscles, no gloves or bike fit not right.

The wheel flex is the nature of the beast if you are running low spoke count. If you are a Clyde, I generally recommend at least 36 spoke wheels and a beefy rim like the Velocity Deep V.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 08-28-07, 03:19 PM
umatillarider

Bikes: giant ocr2 carbon, raleigh 4.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
neck pops

Tom: how usual is it to develope a sore neck, neck 'pops' when i turn my head, etc. could it be from posture, etc?
Old 09-07-07, 01:20 PM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Originally Posted by umatillarider
Tom: how usual is it to develope a sore neck, neck 'pops' when i turn my head, etc. could it be from posture, etc?
That would depend. If you are tightening up then it's easy to have happen. If your cockpit is too short or your position is too aggressive then yes, you can get a sore neck as well as a sore back.

Are you in the drops continually or riding an aerobar all the time? I'm not sure what setup you have right now, so I can't be real specific. PM me if you want so I don't lose track of the Q&A's, OK?

Old 09-10-07, 09:28 AM
dsilver668
Chasing the Peloton!

Bikes: K2 MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am getting some issues as well.
I went through on my own and fit myself to my bike. My seat was way to low, and I tweaked my seat a little back. I am riding a mountain bike, and I get numb hands and a sore lower back after about an hour and a half in the saddle. If I can clean that up then I will be good to go. I am riding on the road but on a MT bike, go figure..
I do have a planned road bike purchase in my future, but I a saving up right now. Going to get a Pedal Force RS2 with Champy Erus wheels and full SRAM rival Grouppo.
Old 09-10-07, 10:26 AM
charles vail

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ouch

Originally Posted by dsilver668
I am getting some issues as well.
I went through on my own and fit myself to my bike. My seat was way to low, and I tweaked my seat a little back. I am riding a mountain bike, and I get numb hands and a sore lower back after about an hour and a half in the saddle. If I can clean that up then I will be good to go. I am riding on the road but on a MT bike, go figure..
I do have a planned road bike purchase in my future, but I a saving up right now. Going to get a Pedal Force RS2 with Champy Erus wheels and full SRAM rival Grouppo.
If you are getting numb hands and a sore back, your bars are too low and perhaps they are too close also. If you are riding flat bars you have no variety of hand position either. Investigate Rivendells website on bike fit at Rivbike.com.
Old 09-11-07, 02:53 PM
GeoLes
Black La Lane

Bikes: EPX 303 (You probably never heard of it)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ZappCatt
6'3" was 240 in August of '04. Bought a hybrid..did not like it. Traded it in for a Giant OCR1..got down lower...stopped riding due to knee pain.

stopped riding due to family commitments and have re-joined the Clydes..currently up at 212.
Tell me all about it.
Old 09-11-07, 09:01 PM
Beefeater

Bikes: '98 Trek 1220 road bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I weight 210 lbs. now. Used to weigh 340 though. Used to have a Gary Fisher mt. bike, I loved it, then it got stolen. Now I ride a Trek 1220 road bike that I inherited from my dad. Looks like this:
Old 09-12-07, 02:23 AM
Austin Wolfclaw
Grade-A Venison!

Bikes: 2004 Huffy Howler Bicycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am Austin Wolfclaw and I weigh about 200 lbs.

I ride a 2004 Huffy Howler bicycle. Don't ask how a cheap Ch**k bike can last that long....
Old 09-12-07, 05:52 AM
neilfein

Bikes: "Hildy", a Novara Randonee touring bike; a 16-speed Bike Friday Tikit; and a Specialized Stumpjumper frame-based built-up MTB, now serving as the kid-carrier, grocery-getter.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Austin Wolfclaw
I ride a 2004 Huffy Howler bicycle. Don't ask how a cheap Ch**k bike can last that long....
I ride a BCA mountain bike my Dad won in a raffle in 1988. Having problems with the rear shifter, but it's holding up just fine. I didn't change the tires for 18 years of intermittent use and never had a flat.

I win!

My bands:
Old 09-12-07, 11:49 PM
Austin Wolfclaw
Grade-A Venison!

Bikes: 2004 Huffy Howler Bicycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by neilfein
I ride a BCA mountain bike my Dad won in a raffle in 1988. Having problems with the rear shifter, but it's holding up just fine. I didn't change the tires for 18 years of intermittent use and never had a flat.

I win!
I'm pretty certain that bike was made in the USA....

this bike was made in china.

Anyway, I was browsing throug the forums today and was reading about people who broke spokes. I had a 2002 quazar raptor bike which broke 1 spoke but it was rideable. Then in march 2004, i broke another spoke and it was dead. Right there and then.

Read all about it here. https://austinwolfclaw.livejournal.com/2004/03/26/

I got my Huffy Howler bike in April 2004
Old 09-13-07, 02:39 PM
neilfein

Bikes: "Hildy", a Novara Randonee touring bike; a 16-speed Bike Friday Tikit; and a Specialized Stumpjumper frame-based built-up MTB, now serving as the kid-carrier, grocery-getter.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Austin Wolfclaw
Originally Posted by neilfein
I ride a BCA mountain bike
I'm pretty certain that bike was made in the USA....
Actually, this bike is not made by the company BCA that's making bikes these days. I called them up, and they confirmed that it's not their bike.

Sorry about your bike! What are you planning to replace it with?

My bands:
Old 09-17-07, 04:30 AM
wingkeel
Ridin' The Line

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 (2008)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Numb hands

I had the same problems on my mountain bike when I rode on the road. I installed a set of bar-ends that allows me to sit further forward and also change my hand position. It also helps tremendously with riding steep uphills. This may be a good short-term, inexpensive solution till you get your road bike.

Wingkeel
Old 09-17-07, 05:30 PM
rcarruth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Checking into the Clydesdale Club at 6', 220 lbs. ... but my Mom says that I'm just "big boned". ;-) Seriously, I've got a 46" chest so I'm never going to be like one of those 155 lb. toothpicks you that are just barely wider than their seat.
Old 09-21-07, 01:20 AM
caerbannog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
5'10", 250 lbs. Need to drop 70 lbs. :-/
Old 09-22-07, 08:47 AM
chubbyohe
stoopid

Bikes: redline monocog 29'er, titus HCR 26",scattante road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
a support group for fatties

Yes,
This is a funny thread. I like many of you I am a bit big. Not just tall but yes fat. While my friends are cutting grams off their bikes I just diet and I can drop 10-15 pounds in a month. I ride a ton but it never drops the weight it is all about the diet.
I started riding single speed mountian bike becasue I got sick of breaking my trek fuel and it costig $50 every time I rode . My redline monocog never breaks. I rode a 26 for 3 years now I got a 29" . The 29 rides smother but its hard to get the "spin" up for hills, You just gotta crank it.
My favorite breaks are bending seat posts to a 90o angle and the time I broke the axle on my bottom bracket in half and had to ride home with only the chainring pedal crankin.
Old 09-22-07, 03:05 PM
okra dictum

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Checking in at 6 feet one inch and 267 pounds. My 50th birthday is coming up in just a few days. I'm not especially fit or trim, but I'm in reasonably good health. I have no aspirations to enter races, go on long bicycle treks, or wear tight lycra cycle shorts (maybe after dropping 60 pounds). My goal is to reverse the trend of weight gain so I can become more fit and sexay!

So I'm buying a bike. Two, in fact, since my partner wants to ride too. But he's quite a bit lighter and younger than I am, so probably needs a different kind of bike. I have no idea what to buy yet. Just doing research, and that is why I joined this forum.
Old 09-22-07, 07:04 PM
Tom Stormcrowe

Welcome aboard, okra! We'll be glad to help any way we can
Originally Posted by okra dictum
Checking in at 6 feet one inch and 267 pounds. My 50th birthday is coming up in just a few days. I'm not especially fit or trim, but I'm in reasonably good health. I have no aspirations to enter races, go on long bicycle treks, or wear tight lycra cycle shorts (maybe after dropping 60 pounds). My goal is to reverse the trend of weight gain so I can become more fit and sexay!

So I'm buying a bike. Two, in fact, since my partner wants to ride too. But he's quite a bit lighter and younger than I am, so probably needs a different kind of bike. I have no idea what to buy yet. Just doing research, and that is why I joined this forum.

Old 09-27-07, 07:54 PM
D i e z e l
Action is eloquence.

Bikes: Mongoose ALTA SX 7 19.5in.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well here's my 2cents I started back on my 10year olf mongoos mtb about june of 07 at around 246lb. and now here it is late sept. and just weighed in at 222lb today so I am losing w/ would I say a pretty strick diet I'm 6'1 and looking to go down below 180lb by nov. or dec. is this to fast I freel I eat good and drink plenty of H2O so I don't know feel great has inprove my breathing and also try to get my ride in by 5am and then go to work for 8 hrs. any comment our much appriciated thx guy and gal's. ~D
Old 09-27-07, 09:08 PM
Tom Stormcrowe

Originally Posted by D i e z e l
Well here's my 2cents I started back on my 10year olf mongoos mtb about june of 07 at around 246lb. and now here it is late sept. and just weighed in at 222lb today so I am losing w/ would I say a pretty strick diet I'm 6'1 and looking to go down below 180lb by nov. or dec. is this to fast I freel I eat good and drink plenty of H2O so I don't know feel great has inprove my breathing and also try to get my ride in by 5am and then go to work for 8 hrs. any comment our much appriciated thx guy and gal's. ~D
Sounds like you are doing well, Diezel! Good on ya and welcome to CLyde's!

Old 10-03-07, 07:35 AM
weeks52806
CANNONDALE ~ RIDE TO LIVE

Bikes: 2002 CANNONDALE USA LIMITED EDITION

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello there everyone just thought I would get in on this thread. I am 31 and got back on the bike about 2 years ago at 370# and rode 2000 miles my first year and now I am down to 310# and have over 3000 in for this year so far ( I have rode in 5 century rides in 07) and my goal is 4000 miles and I seem to be stuck on my weight loss for almost a year now.
I am looking for suggestions if anyone has any. I ride about 80 miles a week and keep to a 1000 calorie a day diet. Any ideas would be great. Thanks

Here is a pic of my road bike

https://www.cannondale.com/bikes/02/c...l-2RR7USA.html

THESE COLORS DON'T RUN... THEY RIDE!!
Old 10-03-07, 06:57 PM
okra dictum

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome weeks52806. That looks like a nice bike.

I hope someone else has some suggestions for getting off the plateau in case I hit one eventually.
Old 10-04-07, 03:31 PM
bulldogfan

Bikes: Trek Navigater 200 and Trek 4900

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Gang
I am a newbie and in another forum they suggested I ask this question here. I am 5'11" weight 275 and would like to know what size bike would fit me. I have a 18" Trek and a 14.5" Trek Navigater 300. Any infomation you can give me will be greatly appreciated. My daughter left the two bikes here when she moved.

Thanks

Joe

Last edited by bulldogfan; 10-04-07 at 03:56 PM.
Old 10-09-07, 07:59 AM
dinosaur1435
Kromaxxx

Bikes: 1989 Diamond Back Apex; 2002 Specialized Cirrus; 2003 Specialized rockhopper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gear it yourself

The industry is just waking up to the bigger rider.
Spec the build yourself. I was 340 and now 240. I break nothing now but have become an awesome wrench.
I would love to help any larger rider with tech ??'s
Ride well
Old 10-09-07, 10:00 PM
Bob_in_Midland
No weenie bikes here!

Bikes: Rans Velocity Squared

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello all! I've been posting throughout the forum for a short time now, and just noticed this particular thread. I used to ride a lot back when I was a teenager. Got away from it for many years. Then, back in about '97 a friend I worked with introduced me to trail riding. It was new to me, as most of the riding I did was on the road. I rode to get places. Sometimes it was to school. Sometimes, it was to go visit a friend. I lived about three miles out of town, and sometimes had to ride in for band practice in the summer. However, I never rode just for the sake of riding. In retrospect, it seemed like those three miles took FOREVER.

I rode a mountain bike for a few years, but was never really comfortable. I came across some information on some strange things called recumbents back in '99, and liked the idea, as I was ready to get away from the trail bikes. So I've been dabbling in 'bents for a few years, though never riding as much as I really wanted to.

I've gotten myself back on to a Specialized Expedition, which is more of a comfort bike, but I am enjoying my rides a lot more, and riding more. Part of my riding more has to do with the proximity of my house to the Pere Marquette Rail Trail, which starts here in Midland. Those in Clare would say that it starts there. But it is a very nice, paved trail, which allows me to ride with no fear of cars. And it is easier to get the family out on a ride now.

So, riding more, feeling much better, losing some weight. But more importantly, just enjoying riding. Oh, and yes, I am DEFINITELY over 200 pounds.

Hopefully, the pic of my current ride will post with the rest of this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0204_800.jpg (76.3 KB, 43 views)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.