Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Totally Tubular

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Totally Tubular

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-20, 12:17 PM
game_player_s

Bikes: Raliegh Technium 400, Giant Excursion, GT Cross Series Passage

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
Maybe try TUBULARS.
😏
Your comment had me puzzled, and I'm like, "what am I missing?". Scrolled back through much earlier posts in this thread and you know, prior to browsing through the thread a bit more, well I honestly thought tubular tires were the floppy, non-wire bead, type.. But now I'm looking through this, and can safely attest that I have never seen one of these funky looking tire-tube combo "tubular tire" affairs in person in my entire life.
Likes For game_player_s:
Old 04-08-20, 01:31 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,829 Times in 2,228 Posts
Originally Posted by game_player_s
Your comment had me puzzled, and I'm like, "what am I missing?". Scrolled back through much earlier posts in this thread and you know, prior to browsing through the thread a bit more, well I honestly thought tubular tires were the floppy, non-wire bead, type.. But now I'm looking through this, and can safely attest that I have never seen one of these funky looking tire-tube combo "tubular tire" affairs in person in my entire life.
Hey, no charge for the lesson!
Old 04-09-20, 08:47 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4336 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Hey, no charge for the lesson!
Yeah, I’ve dealt with bike shop employees who were unfamiliar with tubulars too.
Old 04-09-20, 11:25 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Yeah, I’ve dealt with bike shop employees who were unfamiliar with tubulars too.

I have to laugh.
True story -
Was in a rather large, familiar bike shop a few months back and noticed a new poster w/ a lot of writing on the walls (at eye level) in several spots - two in the tire section. It was a detailed poster showing (almost) all the tire sizes and the various nomenclatures for each. Only a couple of images for reference.
Upon checking out I said to the store-manager-looking-guy, "Thanks for trying to keep all us dumb customers clear about the tire sizes we need?" He replied, "Training tool for new employees!" He paused, then mumbled audibly, "and translation guide for the experienced ones." I could only chuckle and reply, "me too, thankfully tubulars are one diameter". Then he said, "We need a bigger one (chart) for wheels and all brake combos".

Last edited by Wildwood; 04-09-20 at 10:24 PM.
Old 04-09-20, 01:55 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

I had to put my clincher wheels on the vintage bike last week after this terminal tire cut. I've got a half-dozen nice tubulars hanging in the garage but I'm about ready to switch to my summer bike and hang this one up for the season.
Latex tube, slow leak, Stan's didn't stop it.

Old 04-10-20, 07:27 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,186 Times in 961 Posts
Last year I spotted a set of mid-90s Mavic Cosmic wheels on CL (8-10 speed freehub). While not vintage they'd make a nice upgrade for my '93 R500 Cannondale and the price was less than $100. I couldn't tell from the picture as to whether they were clinchers or tubulars, so I asked in an email, "Are the rims for clincher tires or tubular tires?" The answer came back, "I used these on my Tri-Bike and they are tubulars."

So I drove the 1.5 hours to pick them up, excited that I found such a nice set of modern tubular wheels for my C-Dale! As soon as the seller brought them out from the garage, and without me even holding them, I said, politely, "Wow! Those are nice looking wheels, but those are clincher rims with clincher tires." The owner, who was a professor at a nearby state university, assured me, "Oh, no! This is a tubular wheelset. One of the best you could buy in the 90s!"

Well, I bought them anyway. For $75 I felt it was a good purchase. I departed without deflating the tire to reveal the bead nor did I pull up an image of tubular on my phone. The good professor continues to live in his tubular ignorance!

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 04-11-20, 03:26 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

Mentioned: 189 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 645 Times in 232 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
The good professor continues to live in his tubular ignorance!
Well, that really is tutally tobuler.
Likes For jimmuller:
Old 04-21-20, 10:45 AM
Starting a New

Bikes: 1980 Schwinn Continental and an old springer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I loved the "TUBES" Smash or Trash Album circa 82 maybe........
Old 04-23-20, 03:08 AM
Johno59

Bikes: 1903 24 spd Sunbeam, 1927 Humber, 3 1930 Raleighs, 2 1940s Sunbeams, 2 1940s Raleighs, Rudge, 1950s Robin Hood, 1958 Claud Butler, 2 1973 Colnago Supers, Eddie Merckx, 2 1980 Holdsworth, EG Bates funny TT bike, another 6 or so 1990s bikes

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 185 Posts
do you pre-stretch your tubulars on a rim? or the barefooted hold to the floor and gently stretch by pulling up with your hands, a couple of times?

I have more difficulty with clinchers and not pinching the tube.

This little tool is super handy
Old 04-23-20, 10:55 AM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by Johno59

Yes it is. But it still doesn't allow a 700C tire to be mounted onto a 27" rim.

Old 04-26-20, 06:07 AM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
Last year I spotted a set of mid-90s Mavic Cosmic wheels on CL (8-10 speed freehub). While not vintage they'd make a nice upgrade for my '93 R500 Cannondale and the price was less than $100. I couldn't tell from the picture as to whether they were clinchers or tubulars, so I asked in an email, "Are the rims for clincher tires or tubular tires?" The answer came back, "I used these on my Tri-Bike and they are tubulars."

So I drove the 1.5 hours to pick them up, excited that I found such a nice set of modern tubular wheels for my C-Dale! As soon as the seller brought them out from the garage, and without me even holding them, I said, politely, "Wow! Those are nice looking wheels, but those are clincher rims with clincher tires." The owner, who was a professor at a nearby state university, assured me, "Oh, no! This is a tubular wheelset. One of the best you could buy in the 90s!"

Well, I bought them anyway. For $75 I felt it was a good purchase. I departed without deflating the tire to reveal the bead nor did I pull up an image of tubular on my phone. The good professor continues to live in his tubular ignorance!
He probably thought you were asking whether or not they were tubeless.
Old 04-26-20, 06:55 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Originally Posted by due ruote
He probably thought you were asking whether or not they were tubeless.
Maybe!

Old 04-26-20, 09:01 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Originally Posted by Johno59

If I can't fit or remove a tire with my hands and a basic lever, then that tire or rim will be gone before the bike's next ride. I can't be fished into having a tool for every non-toleranced component. If my finger/hand strength fails me, then OK. and thanks for the recommendation.

this is a clincher tire tool, another very good reason for tubulars!!!
Old 04-26-20, 09:43 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Bikes: 72 Peugeot UO-8, 82 Peugeot TH8, 87 Bianchi Brava, 76? Masi Grand Criterium, 74 Motobecane Champion Team, 86 & 77 Gazelle champion mondial, 81? Grandis, 82? Tommasini, 83 Peugeot PF10

If I can't fit or remove a tire with my hands and a basic lever, then that tire or rim will be gone before the bike's next ride. I can't be fished into having a tool for every non-toleranced component.
There be some superb "toleranced" tires which are tight on some superb "toleranced" rims. The tires eventually loosen up to what some people would consider normal, but even so, a tool like that is a wonderful thing to have handy. Plus they make pinch flats from tire irons nearly non-existent.
Old 04-26-20, 10:55 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

I can buy into everything you say - but to what good purpose? Making ill-fitting combinations of tires& rims fit? Balderdash!!!

Find me a proper fitting tire for this rim/wheelset. Please! A sturdy, touring rim. Maybe this 700c DOES fit 27” tires. Haven’t tried that.

Old 04-26-20, 08:46 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,813 Times in 1,536 Posts
I can buy into everything you say - but to what good purpose? Making ill-fitting combinations of tires& rims fit? Balderdash!!!

Find me a proper fitting tire for this rim/wheelset. Please! A sturdy, touring rim. Maybe this 700c DOES fit 27” tires. Haven’t tried that.

had those rims on the torpado i used to have..... diidn't have any problems with 700c tires.....don't remember brand/model..... but I have had tires that took a tire jack to get on.....if that happens, let them sit for a few days and then do a simulated flat on the road and if I can't get them off easily, then put differnt tires on

Old 04-26-20, 09:17 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Originally Posted by squirtdad
had those rims on the torpado i used to have..... diidn't have any problems with 700c tires.....don't remember brand/model..... but I have had tires that took a tire jack to get on.....if that happens, let them sit for a few days and then do a simulated flat on the road and if I can't get them off easily, then put differnt tires on

...but, but, but.....

this is the Totally Tubular thread.
I see no further point in clincher problem-fixing with kludge (but effective) solutions.
Old 04-27-20, 05:22 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

...but, but, but.....

this is the Totally Tubular thread.
Yeah, and now it's a sticky thread too!

BTW, tubulars fit just fine on 700c clincher rims for stretching purposes. I don't keep my worn out tubular rims but I always have a spare clincher wheel hanging from the rafters for stretching tubulars, and clinchers, and for QC on patched tubes.
Old 04-28-20, 04:33 AM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

BTW, tubulars fit just fine on 700c clincher rims for stretching purposes.
Good point, never tried it though because I've always had a spare tubular rim sitting around.

Tubulars fit on a 700c clincher rim well enough to ride when the situation requires it. I mentioned this in a different thread (I think) a few years ago, but I'll mention it again. I was commuting home one afternoon and came upon another cyclist stopped with a flat on the rear. He was trying to flag down a car but it was a bad location where, to put it mildly, ain't nobody gonna' stop there. He had no spare or patch kit, apparently had considered neither the possibility of a flat nor many of the other practicalities of riding. He was hoping to get to a bike shop just a few miles away, an easy ride and mostly significantly downhill. I had a spare tubular so I mounted in on his clincher rim, pumped it up to a reasonable pressure, warned him not to corner or brake too hard, and followed him to the bike shop where he gave me my tire back. Since then I've usually carried a patch kit on my tubular-tired bikes. It's kinda' like carrying a flashlight on a sunny day but you never know when you might meet someone who's still in the dark.
Likes For jimmuller:
Old 04-28-20, 01:20 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
Good point, never tried it though because I've always had a spare tubular rim sitting around.

Tubulars fit on a 700c clincher rim well enough to ride when the situation requires it. I mentioned this in a different thread (I think) a few years ago, but I'll mention it again. I was commuting home one afternoon and came upon another cyclist stopped with a flat on the rear. He was trying to flag down a car but it was a bad location where, to put it mildly, ain't nobody gonna' stop there. He had no spare or patch kit, apparently had considered neither the possibility of a flat nor many of the other practicalities of riding. He was hoping to get to a bike shop just a few miles away, an easy ride and mostly significantly downhill. I had a spare tubular so I mounted in on his clincher rim, pumped it up to a reasonable pressure, warned him not to corner or brake too hard, and followed him to the bike shop where he gave me my tire back. Since then I've usually carried a patch kit on my tubular-tired bikes. It's kinda' like carrying a flashlight on a sunny day but you never know when you might meet someone who's still in the dark.
I've also used a tubular tire on a clincher rim in an emergency to get me to a bicycle shop. I've done that when the clincher tire was too badly damaged to use safely even with a boot.

Cheers
Old 04-28-20, 02:07 PM
jimmuller 
What??? Only 2 wheels?

Originally Posted by Miele Man
I've also used a tubular tire on a clincher rim in an emergency to get me to a bicycle shop. I've done that when the clincher tire was too badly damaged to use safely even with a boot.

Cheers
Great! But why were you carrying a tubular tire on a bike with clincher wheels? This a story worth telling, I am sure.
Old 04-28-20, 02:16 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmuller
Great! But why were you carrying a tubular tire on a bike with clincher wheels? This a story worth telling, I am sure.
Since I discovered that a tubular tire will fit on a clincher rim I often carry a spare tubular in case a clincher gets ruined. I also carry a spare tubular when on an organized ride so that I can give it to anyone who needs a tire.

When I rode the bike with the tubular tire on the clincher rim to the bike shop the guys working there were quite surprised that it was able to be done.

Someone on these forums said that one should watch for chafing of the tubular tire by the rim of a clincher wheel if riding a tubular tire for any great distance. I've never had any problems with the distances I've used.

This using a tubular tire on a clincher rim came about one day when I went to ride my bicycle and discovered a very large bulge in the tire due to having it a wide gap in the road the day before and severely damaging the clincher tire on it. That tire was ready to blow so in desperation I tried putting an old spare tubular tire i had here on it. It worked and I was able to ride to the bike shop and get a new tire.

Cheers
Old 04-29-20, 07:05 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

All this "clincher" diversion has diluted "totally tubular" with confusing and distracting concepts which are infecting the health of this thread with a deadly virus.

Don't you all know that we are in a pandemic--- and clinchers and tubulars MUST social distance from each other by at least two meters!?! (keeping this metric) Thus a tubular cannot be mounted on a clincher!

The next thing someone will suggest that if clinchers are scrubbed with antiseptic and bathed in powerful UV light they can be installed on tubular rims.

Old 04-29-20, 07:30 AM
hazetguy 
only here for the "LIKES"

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Quoted: 1642 Post(s)
Liked 2,232 Times in 1,049 Posts
Here's some stuff that can hopefully act as "mind bleach" against all that clincher nonsense.

Old 04-29-20, 10:07 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,813 Times in 1,536 Posts
Wow a lot of that applies today...the mounting method is almost identical to what is listed on yellow jersey

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.