Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Race Video Thread!

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Race Video Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-15, 08:42 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
^.. lost the back then locked up the front.. looks odd ?
Old 03-04-15, 09:16 PM
hack

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Hard to tell if the guy getting back up causes others to crash as they try to move out of the way. Probably best to sit tight and make sure the coast is clear in a corner like that.
Old 03-04-15, 09:27 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by hack
Hard to tell if the guy getting back up causes others to crash as they try to move out of the way. Probably best to sit tight and make sure the coast is clear in a corner like that.
It's a crazy-boneheaded thing to do regardless. WTF is he going to accomplish by rushing to the finish line? Makes no sense. There's just so much fail in that video. Early on, someone yells "keep it safe, guys!" Lol, that's useful. There would've been like 10 crashes if not for that cat 4 patrón there keeping the domestiques in line!
Old 03-04-15, 10:41 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
It is still an outstanding insulation commercial. They can actually sell that bail with the video. If I lived in Chico I'd love to tell the story how my insulated wall may have saved someone's head.
Old 03-05-15, 10:49 AM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I just hope it's not the itchy fiberglass stuff!
Old 03-11-15, 01:24 PM
Ziatriguy

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Cannondale Trigger, Cannondale SuperX, Felt DA4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Hilsboro Trifecta Criterium in Las Cruces, NM. This was my first crit in 13 years. I was certainly rusty, but what fun that was! The neat thing about these video's is the ability to go back and pick up on the mistakes I made. Maybe next time I wont slide to the front then sleep through the attack.

Last edited by Ziatriguy; 03-30-15 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Trying to figure out embed code
Old 03-15-15, 08:42 PM
collin2985

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Last minute of the Richmond International Raceway Criterium, Cat 4.

.be
Old 03-16-15, 05:08 AM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Too much crap on the screen for me, but I guess that's what people want. You are riding smarter.
Old 03-21-15, 01:45 PM
kleinboogie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2015 Collections

Too many videos to post. Here's some links.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/San-D...2213?sk=videos

https://www.youtube.com/user/sbdstud...view=0&sort=dd

Pics: https://www.facebook.com/pages/San-D...=photos_albums
Old 03-22-15, 07:26 PM
collin2985

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My ability to position is good, I was top 10 for most of the race but I don't have the fitness yet.

Highlights with narration of the Black Hill Circuit Race, Cat 4.

No crap on the screen as requested by shovelhd.

Old 03-22-15, 08:05 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
are you reading narration?
Old 03-23-15, 06:35 AM
collin2985

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
are you reading narration?
Yes.
Old 03-23-15, 09:18 AM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by collin2985
Yes.

the videos and racing are improving, next step I think might be to move to more conversational narration. I can only think of Bahati's videos as examples.
Old 03-23-15, 12:46 PM
collin2985

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
the videos and racing are improving, next step I think might be to move to more conversational narration. I can only think of Bahati's videos as examples.

I'll try to be less mechanical in my narration next time. I think I'll wait until I have his level of insight before I narrate off the cuff like him. Even if I had his insight, I don't think people want to hear a cat 4 racer talking about his race in that much detail. People kind of expect to see the major attacks, crashes, any weird moments and the finish. Thanks for mentioning him though, I'll definitely check out more of his videos to gain some of his knowledge.
Old 03-25-15, 08:25 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Carnage at Bethel. Watch my Depot butt almost get taken out on the back stretch, then watch CDR sneak past a pileup in the sprint. Video by some guy in the race (it's on youtube, obviously). Cameraman looks like he hit my back wheel, props to him for not going down.

Old 03-30-15, 02:22 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

2 questions:
what could I have done better?
do people have greater tendency to work together more in the higher categories? because in cat 4 it's all cat & mouse, like all the time....

Last edited by spectastic; 03-30-15 at 02:26 PM.
Old 03-30-15, 02:53 PM
misterwaterfall

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spectastic

2 questions:
do people have greater tendency to work together more in the higher categories? because in cat 4 it's all cat & mouse, like all the time....
I skipped around a bit but things look OK. Your sphere looks pretty small, but there were some weird side to side sudden movements that might have just been the camera angle or something.

The cat and mouse doesn't stop, but from my experience in the p12 races everyone works hard to get the break established. From there it depends. If you want a strong group keep attacking until you're down to a group that you feel can make it to the line and that you can win out of.
Old 03-30-15, 04:33 PM
mkadam68

Bikes: 2012 MotorHouse road bike. No. You can't get one.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Um... why were you "covering breaks"? Was that the team plan? To keep the race together for a final sprint? If not, don't "cover" them, bridge up to them, instead.

You were on the front alot. But that may have been when you were in the break w/2 laps to go. Regardless, pull through and off. Let somebody else do the work. With 3 of you, you all should be rotating through as much as possible, saving as much energy as possible.

Yep, should have attacked final corner sooner and surged past him. He was tired, but you never pushed him to break. (Of course, if you had nothing, I understand. Boy! Do I understand.)

As you noted, cornering was much better later in the race. Other racers? Not so much. Use the whole lane, it's a closed course after all, and keep pedaling.

Love the course, BTW. Well except for all those cracks in the road.
Old 03-30-15, 05:30 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mkadam68
Um... why were you "covering breaks"? Was that the team plan? To keep the race together for a final sprint? If not, don't "cover" them, bridge up to them, instead.

You were on the front alot. But that may have been when you were in the break w/2 laps to go. Regardless, pull through and off. Let somebody else do the work. With 3 of you, you all should be rotating through as much as possible, saving as much energy as possible.

Yep, should have attacked final corner sooner and surged past him. He was tired, but you never pushed him to break. (Of course, if you had nothing, I understand. Boy! Do I understand.)

As you noted, cornering was much better later in the race. Other racers? Not so much. Use the whole lane, it's a closed course after all, and keep pedaling.

Love the course, BTW. Well except for all those cracks in the road.
I'm working on doing less pulling and more drafting. It's just difficult to see 2 guys off the front, and everyone else in the peloton playing around to dodge the wind. it's sad. in cat 4, were still a free for all, not a whole lot of team action, as we're all trying to win races and cat up. but that's a good point. unless I know I have good strong guys with me, attack and bridge up solo, instead of pulling the whole group. seems so obvious...

but then there's the whole judgement of whether to bridge up or let the break fall apart. Unless you know the riders, I think this is hard to judge. I guess if you see the break pulling away, that's a sign that you should probably bridge now. But even then, it's difficult to judge whether they'll be caught, and whether it's worth the energy to catch them.

the plan in the end was just stick on his wheel and sprint past him. But he was already going really fast, and he obviously had more than me because I was puking my lungs going past the finish line. I was thinking if I had stayed sheltered, and attacked out of the first corner, past the finishline, and out of the headwind, I would've time trialed to the finish, taking my own line, and going all out. But there's a good chance he would've just hung on to my wheel and pass me on the finish.

oh well, main lesson is to stay out of the wind, save my legs, and maintain position to react to attacks.

Last edited by spectastic; 03-30-15 at 05:33 PM.
Old 03-31-15, 11:31 AM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
From Santa Cruz crit on Sunday:

I make some appearances, but not at the right times...

my race videos
Old 04-05-15, 06:05 PM
collin2985

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm working on doing less pulling and more drafting. It's just difficult to see 2 guys off the front, and everyone else in the peloton playing around to dodge the wind. it's sad. in cat 4, were still a free for all, not a whole lot of team action, as we're all trying to win races and cat up. but that's a good point. unless I know I have good strong guys with me, attack and bridge up solo, instead of pulling the whole group. seems so obvious...

but then there's the whole judgement of whether to bridge up or let the break fall apart. Unless you know the riders, I think this is hard to judge. I guess if you see the break pulling away, that's a sign that you should probably bridge now. But even then, it's difficult to judge whether they'll be caught, and whether it's worth the energy to catch them.

the plan in the end was just stick on his wheel and sprint past him. But he was already going really fast, and he obviously had more than me because I was puking my lungs going past the finish line. I was thinking if I had stayed sheltered, and attacked out of the first corner, past the finishline, and out of the headwind, I would've time trialed to the finish, taking my own line, and going all out. But there's a good chance he would've just hung on to my wheel and pass me on the finish.

oh well, main lesson is to stay out of the wind, save my legs, and maintain position to react to attacks.

That course has breakaway written all over it. There's no way a peloton is going organize a chase with that many turns. You did everything right except maybe not drafting the guy who got 1st close enough. If you were 6 inches from his wheel instead of 2 feet, you would have been fresh enough to pass him when you came around. You did awesome.
Old 04-05-15, 06:27 PM
TexMac

Bikes: Ridley Noah fast, Colnago CLX,Giant Propel Advanced, Pinnerello Gogma 65.1, Specialized S-works Venge, CAADX,Cervelo S3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My ability to position is good, I was top 10 for most of the race but I don't have the fitness yet.

Highlights with narration of the Black Hill Circuit Race, Cat 4.

No crap on the screen as requested by shovelhd.

Nice video, too short and you will do better i'm sure...crap on screen is good esp watts/speed for newbies like me.
Old 04-05-15, 07:35 PM
TexMac

Bikes: Ridley Noah fast, Colnago CLX,Giant Propel Advanced, Pinnerello Gogma 65.1, Specialized S-works Venge, CAADX,Cervelo S3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

2 questions:
Awesome video. Seems like you know the mistake was to let that rider get a big gap otherwise that would've been you race. Good to see my friend's boy "shama cycles" get in the mix
Old 04-05-15, 08:00 PM
spectastic
commu*ist spy

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
That course has breakaway written all over it. There's no way a peloton is going organize a chase with that many turns. You did everything right except maybe not drafting the guy who got 1st close enough. If you were 6 inches from his wheel instead of 2 feet, you would have been fresh enough to pass him when you came around. You did awesome.
Originally Posted by TexMac
Awesome video. Seems like you know the mistake was to let that rider get a big gap otherwise that would've been you race. Good to see my friend's boy "shama cycles" get in the mix
thanks I think part of the reason for that gap was not realizing that the shama guy got dropped after my rotation
Old 04-09-15, 01:30 PM
TexMac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks I think part of the reason for that gap was not realizing that the shama guy got dropped after my rotation
He's only 14 so i'm sure he'll have lots of work to do. Good race, I nearly made it out there for that race.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.