Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Rembrandt on a bicycle

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Rembrandt on a bicycle

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-19, 09:51 PM
Arthur Peabody

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 66 Posts
Rembrandt on a bicycle

'He had just taken his two small children to school (in true Dutch fashion, by bicycle: one seated between the handlebars and the other in back). The typical weather for the season, raw wind and spitting rain, would never deter a real Amsterdammer from mounting his bike
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/27/m...t-jan-six.html an article about Rembrandt, bicycles only incidentally. It's a great detective story about finding an unknown Rembrandt.
Old 02-28-19, 02:11 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
The progression of fame to famine doesn't appear to have changed much in 350 years. Too bad he died a pauper. The chiaroscuro referenced in film and photography (lighting) oftentimes bears his name.
Old 02-28-19, 11:38 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 5998 Post(s)
Liked 956 Times in 730 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
The progression of fame to famine doesn't appear to have changed much in 350 years. Too bad he died a pauper. The chiaroscuro referenced in film and photography (lighting) oftentimes bears his name.
The typical artistic type, can't handle the boring earthly matters. Luckily women tend to fall in love with men like that and manage that kind of stuff for them. His wife made their son inheret her part of the money and posessions, so he could continue his life and work only less luxurious. He's a bit of a national institution here so I was raised and bored with him but only recently I discovered how revolutionary and free spirited he was and started to appreciate his work. With typical old stuff it's hard to imagine that it was groundbreaking for it's day.

There's more that hasn't changed that much in 350 years. Recently I was reading a book about daily life in the Dutch republic of the 17th century, by the American historian Simon Schama, and this Rembrandt lived in an extremely modern society, much more like today's than more recent societies. There was a part in it about children playing in the street and getting hit by carriages. I involuntarily pictured bikes in there for a moment before I realized there could not have been. That made me chuckle.
Old 02-28-19, 04:16 PM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts

I see a grown poodle in a pregnant woman's body
Old 02-28-19, 09:06 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by aclinjury

I see a grown poodle in a pregnant woman's body
I often use these timestamp fashion examples during conversations and debates regarding current feminine/masculine fashion wear. Assuming the extreme class diversity that existed during these time, this outfit could be assumed to be his Sunday-go-to-meeting best -- at least for the aristocracy.

Since he's a young man, was this dress considered an Italian suit for the times, or the equivalent droopy pants of his day? Today, it looks like he's wearing a doily wrapped around his neck.

I don't see a lot of emotional expression in this painting. Since I didn't get through all the pages of the link, I wonder if this one of Rembrandt's earlier paintings?
Old 03-01-19, 05:31 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 5998 Post(s)
Liked 956 Times in 730 Posts
@KraneXL: I saw a documentary about this painting and the collar would be a typical fashion thing, in fashion one year, out of fashion the next. It was actually used to date the painting to the year because fashions were known from other paintings, books and records. It's dated at 1634 and Rembrandt would have been about 28 years and a well established painter with quite a reputation. This makes it likely that the young gentleman was pretty well off, allthoug the big middle class, like skilled craftsmen, would decorate their houses with paintings too and their sons in the courting age would dress fashionably too. The class diversity was limited and there was lots of class mobility but a portrait this size by Rembrandt would be out of reach for most, probably not limited to the 1 percent though. Keep in mind this was not a feudal kingdom with a hierarchy of nobles, but a Republic of 'burgers' (citizens), a new kind of economy with the most successful merchants at the top. Rembrandt also had a habit of prioritizing creativity over the vanity of his portrait commissioners so the number of unsatisfied customers would liklely have lowered the price of his talent.
Old 03-01-19, 09:25 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
“The typical weather for the season, raw wind and spitting rain....”

Breitnerweer.

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 03-01-19 at 10:19 AM.
Old 03-01-19, 12:37 PM
Arthur Peabody

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Stadjer
Luckily women tend to fall in love with men like that and manage that kind of stuff for them.
Perhaps not for the women.

Originally Posted by Stadjer
the American historian Simon Schama
He's a Brit, though he is professing in the US these days.

I often use these timestamp fashion examples
As did the historians who identified it as a fashion for 1634-6.

I wonder if this one of Rembrandt's earlier paintings?
Yes.
Old 03-03-19, 03:12 PM
CrankyOne

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
Thanks for the article. Great read. I've walked by the Six house and the younger Six's office numerous times. I'll have to look for the painting of the elder Six next time.

I'd guess the younger six looks on a bicycle exactly as he does here: Same clothes, etc. Guys got good taste.