Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Take on Cannondale Synapse carbon 105 2017

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 01-03-20, 07:49 PM
polarpreza

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Found a used one in good condition for $1100USD, it is going to be my first road bike coming from a cross bike. I am no Gru when it comes to bike parts and frame design, just want a smooth and light platform to start so I don't have to upgrade at least a few years.

Any feedback is appreciated
Old 01-03-20, 08:00 PM
Robius

Bikes: Felt AR2 Di2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 5 Posts
Well it's a good bike as an endurance bike but if you are after "speed" you should look for something that has a more aggresive geometry.
Old 01-03-20, 08:20 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
What will you be using the bike for? What is the budget?
Old 01-03-20, 10:33 PM
polarpreza

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do a daily 14-16 km sprint around my neighbor for exercise and 1-2 times a week 30-40km group rides with climbs and flats. Fitness and speed is what I am after, I was riding my Norco Threshold A2 cross bike struggling on hill climbs vs everyone else with carbon road bike. I totally get the fitness level factor rather than blaming on the bike. I was even thinking of swapping in some road rims and tires to help with the situation. Budget is $1300max I like the look of the newer bikes and really don't want to get into the 10+ year road bike.

thanks !!
Old 01-04-20, 10:03 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 539 Posts
"Good Condition" @ $1100 is a nice price . I would make sure the tires still have some mileage in them and go over the frame very carefully and inspect for any damage to the carbon. Make sure you're not going to be replacing a lot of the consumables too soon, like brake pads, inspect the rims for wear, check the truness of the wheels, does it shift well, are the cables and cabling working properly?
Old 01-04-20, 10:44 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 362 Posts
First thing is to make sure it fits. If it is too big or too small you'll regret it. Beyond that, just look and see if the bike was cared for, whether it was used a lot or a little. Tire wear is an indicator that it was used, but that's not necessarily a bad thing as long as it was cared for. If it is scratched or banged up then start getting suspicious that this may not be such a great deal after all. A few scratches are OK but not if they are all over.
Old 01-04-20, 12:00 PM
polarpreza

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Forgot to mention it's $1100usd , yes i am 99% sure it fits, I am 5"6 and that's a size 51cm
Old 01-04-20, 12:16 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
If the bike is in good condition, I agree, that is a good price and a very nice bike.
Old 01-04-20, 05:30 PM
polarpreza

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was hoping someone would suggest me a set of lightweight road rims+tires for more saving
Old 01-04-20, 10:14 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Get some good quality 28mm road tires and latex tubes. Put them on your cross bike or the Synapse if you decide to get that.
I wouldn't bother with upgrading the wheels on the Norca.
Old 01-04-20, 10:59 PM
jnbrown

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 52 Posts
Synapse is a good bike, my wife got one last year.
It is an endurance bike but won't slow you down.
Lighter wheels are nice to have but probably won't make you any faster.
Training more will though.
For tires recommend Continental GP5000 or Schwalbe One.
Much cheaper if you order from UK.
Old 01-05-20, 07:07 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
It's a good bike and a decent deal. I would expect that you will enjoy it. All the talk about aero, weight, speed, etc. is irrelevant at this point. As as been said, fit is critical. Go ride. Have fun. Focus on riding skills, your body and the environment. At some point you will know better what you want to do on a bike. You will probably buy a "better" bike and this one will be a great back up bike. Good luck. Have fun.
Old 01-05-20, 07:45 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3653 Post(s)
Liked 5,391 Times in 2,736 Posts
Originally Posted by polarpreza
I was riding my Norco Threshold A2 cross bike struggling on hill climbs vs everyone else with carbon road bike. I totally get the fitness level factor rather than blaming on the bike.
These two statements seem at odds with each other. You are doing very short rides and unless you are running fat knobbies on your CX bike, your deficiencies are fitness related, not equipment. That said, new bikes are always fun! With your budget, I would shop for a new aluminum bike with current 105. The 7000 is an improvement and you wouldn't have the concerns of buying used carbon.
Old 01-08-20, 01:11 AM
polarpreza

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree after doing quite a bit of research. To make matters worse I install a 52 chainring upfront hoping i can gain on the road bike riders, I was so wrong =( ended up with an injuring my knee cos I was pushing too hard.
Old 01-08-20, 12:06 PM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by polarpreza
Found a used one in good condition for $1100USD, it is going to be my first road bike coming from a cross bike. I am no Gru when it comes to bike parts and frame design, just want a smooth and light platform to start so I don't have to upgrade at least a few years.

Any feedback is appreciated
OP, if I were you I would take a hard look at a CAAD 12. I don't know what size you are looking for, but it really is a nice bike with great race geometry and there are a lot of them available (rim brake) in your price range on Ebay.
Old 01-08-20, 12:08 PM
polarpreza

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[

I am 5" 6 , my Norco A2 is a 51cm size small. Just took a quick look, you are right. I shouldn't keep looking into carbon frame bikes with low end components. Which CAAD 12 should I be looking at, there are a few

QUOTE=Clipped_in;21275573]OP, if I were you I would take a hard look at a CAAD 12. I don't know what size you are looking for, but it really is a nice bike with great race geometry and there are a lot of them available (rim brake) in your price range on Ebay.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by polarpreza; 01-08-20 at 12:37 PM.