Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

% Grade on your rides

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

% Grade on your rides

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-06, 05:59 PM
msheron
I-M-D bell curve of bikn'

Bikes: 06' Jamis Eclipse in the making.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
% Grade on your rides

I know this has been covered but here is a chart showing a climb I did in Saluda, NC for about a 4 mile climb which equated to 39.2% grade climb.

Really a leg burner. The ride down the other side of the mountain was a thrill however!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Grade %3.JPG (13.7 KB, 285 views)
Old 04-17-06, 06:02 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
wtf? I have a 24% by my house and I can't imagine anything over 30%. It seems that anything over that you'd fall over if you got out of the saddle.
Old 04-17-06, 06:02 PM
GuitarWizard
Used to be a climber..

Bikes: 2016 Ridley Fenix SL, 2020 Trek Emonda ALR (rim brake)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
**** that ****, dude.....
Old 04-17-06, 06:03 PM
celticfrost
Raising the Abyss

Bikes: Expensive ones that I ride slowly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by msheron
I know this has been covered but here is a chart showing a climb I did in Saluda, NC for about a 4 mile climb which equated to 39.2% grade climb.

Really a leg burner. The ride down the other side of the mountain was a thrill however!
From your attached graph, it does look hilly. But 39.2% ??!! How are you computing the grade?
"...in Las Vegas where -the electric bills are staggering -the decor hog wild -and the entertainment saccharine -what a golden age -what a time of right and reason -the consumer's king -and unhappiness is treason..."
Old 04-17-06, 06:04 PM
msheron

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by celticfrost
From your attached graph, it does look hilly. But 39.2% ??!! How are you computing the grade?
Garmin 305 Edge with MB software for adjustments to fine tune your ride.
Old 04-17-06, 06:11 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I highly doubt it was 39.2% considering the steepest road in the world is Baldwin St. in New Zealand is 38%. If your calculations are correct, you'd better be contacting the Guiness Book of Records.

https://mappic.org/pictureInfo.php?tid=425
https://www.ourshop.co.nz/baldwinstreet.htm
https://www.bikereader.com/contributo...ley/hills.html
Old 04-17-06, 06:14 PM
celticfrost
Raising the Abyss

Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Garmin 305 Edge with MB software for adjustments to fine tune your ride.
But at ~2.5 miles you're at ~900ft and at ~7.5 miles you're at ~2200ft. That's 1300ft in 5 miles, which is about 5% grade over those 5 miles.

*edit* --- still though, 5% for 5 miles is no easy task!
"...in Las Vegas where -the electric bills are staggering -the decor hog wild -and the entertainment saccharine -what a golden age -what a time of right and reason -the consumer's king -and unhappiness is treason..."
Old 04-17-06, 06:14 PM
msheron

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
I highly doubt it was 39.2% considering the steepest road in the world is Baldwin St. in New Zealand is 38%. If your calculations are correct, you'd better be contacting the Guiness Book of Records.

https://mappic.org/pictureInfo.php?tid=425
https://www.ourshop.co.nz/baldwinstreet.htm
https://www.bikereader.com/contributo...ley/hills.html

Really...................anyone else there find descrepancies with their Garmin Edge using MB?

All I know is it is straight up!
Old 04-17-06, 06:20 PM
celticfrost
Raising the Abyss

Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Really...................anyone else there find descrepancies with their Garmin Edge using MB?

You (or your Garmin) may be mis-reading the line for miles. At ~ mile 7.5, you're at 2200ft, not at a grade of 39% !
Old 04-17-06, 06:35 PM
Stjtoday

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From the looks of your graph.. you have suffered a major earthquake.
Old 04-17-06, 06:36 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Cyclists go to Baldwin St. to ride the hill there because it is a tourist attraction and such a challenge. A friend of mine went. He is an incredible climber and very strong cyclist and it took him three tries to make it to the top, and Baldwin St. isn't that long.

I've attempted a 25% (1 in 4) grade in Wales, and couldn't even begin to think about riding up ... even walking the kilometer up was a long and strenuous challenge. See the Long Mynd photos: https://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mac...=/9498&.src=ph

If there were a hill at 39%, it wouldn't be a mere "leg burner" .... all your muscles would be screaming and your lungs would be on fire. And I doubt there are very many people in the world who could keep that going for 4 miles.
Old 04-17-06, 06:45 PM
ElJamoquio
Burning Matches.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 4077 Post(s)
Liked 1,002 Times in 676 Posts
Originally Posted by GuitarWizard
**** that ****, dude.....

** ***** **** , *** ****** ****.

(Translation: I agree).
Old 04-17-06, 06:47 PM
ElJamoquio
Burning Matches.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 4077 Post(s)
Liked 1,002 Times in 676 Posts
To answer the question, the largest grade on my rides is about 3%. Those darn overpasses.
Old 04-17-06, 07:02 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by celticfrost
But at ~2.5 miles you're at ~900ft and at ~7.5 miles you're at ~2200ft. That's 1300ft in 5 miles, which is about 5% grade over those 5 miles.

*edit* --- still though, 5% for 5 miles is no easy task!

That's how I read that chart ... I believe that's how most elevation charts are read. If you convert 1300ft into miles that's 0.246 miles. 0.246/5 = 0.0492 = ~5%

If it were a 39% grade over approx. 5 miles that would be 5*.39 = 1.95 miles or an elevation gain of approx. 10, 300 feet in 5 miles.
Old 04-17-06, 07:02 PM
thad

Bikes: Cannondale R700

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your edge is off or you are reading the graph wrong, I can't make any sense of that graph so its probably the latter.
Old 04-17-06, 07:07 PM
Ranzak

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Mscheron, check out this link: https://www.freewheelers.info/climbs/ this info is reputed to be fairly accurate

Old 04-17-06, 07:38 PM
RockyMtnMerlin

Bikes: Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The pro's really complain about the Angliru in Spain and it is a max of about 22%. I think it was Manuel Beltran who said, "Just make sure you don't stand up and pedal because you will flip over backwards!" Three years ago they did it in the Vuelta de Espana and it was raining. Racers all used really small chainrings and really big sprockets. The organizers were afraid that the some of the non AWD team cars could not make it up the grade in the heavy rain!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-17-06, 07:59 PM
KevinF
Keep on climbing

Bikes: 2004 Calfee Tetra Pro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Well, the first question is how does this Garmin product measure altitude? Is it barometric or is it GPS based? GPS based altitude readings are generally worthless: https://gpsinformation.net/main/altitude.htm.

If it's barometric-based (i.e., somewhere in the unit there's an air pressure sensor) then you most likely encountered some bizarre micro-climate. Altitude does affect air pressure, but I imagine there are a lot of other things that could cause variations in air pressure between two close points.

Reliably determining altitude seems to be a rather tricky problem (at least for portable bike / ski / hike devices).
Old 04-17-06, 09:28 PM
Mojo Slim
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Here's a picture of one of our local testers. The sign says "Caution. +15% next 3 miles".
Attached Images
Bucks 15% 05-20-05 redu30.JPG (93.3 KB, 215 views)
Old 04-17-06, 09:41 PM
RockyMtnMerlin

Bikes: Merlin Extralight Topolino Wheels Campy Record

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Now that is a daunting sign. I have never seen one like that in Wyoming. Perhaps the Wyoming Department of Transporation is too smart for that. Or maybe its because we have so few citizens that we don't have many roads. In fact, we have only 490,000 people in 97,000 square miles.
Old 04-17-06, 10:47 PM
26mi235

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Clearly this ride is nothing close to 39%; it is not much more than one-tenth that amount (someone else has pointed out that 39% for 5 miles gets you over the rockies much less anything east of the Big Easy.

Why do you get this result? One possibility is given by the highly erractic grade measurement, with a 30%++ 100feet followed by a -20% 100 feet (did you have the meter on the outside edge of you rim??). Also notice that the vertical and horizontal scales differ by a factor of 75 or so and if you stretched the horizontal distance by that factor you would see that you mountain is not particularly steep, much less the #1 climb around.
Old 04-17-06, 10:50 PM
ericgu

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You're reading the graph wrong. The grade percentage is the really jagged line, and what you're seeing is the noise that is inherent in GPS altitude measurements.

2005 Trek 5.2 Madone, Red with Yellow Flames (Beauty)
199x Lemond Tourmalet, Yellow with fenders (Beast)

Read my cycling blog at https://riderx.info/blogs/riderx
Like climbing? Goto https://www.bicycleclimbs.com
Old 04-17-06, 11:25 PM
cyclintom

Bikes: Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Basso Loto, Pinarello Stelvio, Redline Cyclocross

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Is it just me or does anyone else think that the sine of the hypoteneuse equal the opposite so that 4 miles at 39.2% would mean a climb of about 6200 feet or over a mile high?

Mt. Michell is almost 6,700 feet so that doesn't make it impossible but ........

Here's a clue - unless you're some sort of climber, going up 18% for more than a couple of hundred feet is HARD HARD HARD.

The longest sustained climb I've done on the road was 3 miles of unbroken 13% and I could barely move when I hit the top despite being in racing shape at the time.

Marin St. in Berkeley has a one block section of 24% that I climbed on a mountain bike with a 24/34. They paved the street going downhill only.

The Death Ride in California has grades up to 12% with perhaps the inside of some turns steeper.

The killerest of killer hills in the bay area is Bohlman on Orbit and the steepest section is 22% but the average grade is 9%.

The upshot of this is that you absolutely cannot depend on some meter on a bicycle to measure grades. It just ain't possible. You have to stop, get off and use a long beam gradiometer.

Last edited by cyclintom; 05-04-06 at 07:32 AM.
Old 04-17-06, 11:30 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

What he is doing to arrive at the 39% grade is to look at the bar on the right side of the graph. I have no idea what that bar is doing there because it has no relation to the rest of the information on the graph, and it doesn't show up on any other elevation chart I've ever seen. It should be ignored.

To correctly read the information on the chart you have to look at the GREEN line - ignore the black earthquake line (I'm not sure what that is - heart rate maybe?).

See the attached drawing. To find grade you need to follow these steps:

1) locate your lowest point (indicated by the arrow at the bottom of the drawing) and your highest point (indicated by the arrow at the top of the drawing).

2) figure out what the elevation of the lowest point is (I've drawn a red horizontal line from the lowest point, so that's easy to see), and figure out what the elevation of the highest point is (again, I've drawn a red horizontal line from the highest point, so that's easy to see). In this case, the lowest point is about 900 ft, and the highest point is about 2200 ft.

3) figure out at what distance on the graph you arrived at the lowest point (the vertical arrow indicating the lowest point can help you see approx. what the distance is) and figure out at what distance on the graphy you arrived at the highest point (the verticle line coming down from the highest point can help you see that). In this case, the lowest point was reached about 2.5 miles, and the highest point was reached about 7.5 miles.

4) subtract the lowest point from the highest point. In this case 2200 - 900 = 1300 ft.

5) subtract the higher distance from the lower distance. In this case 7.5 - 2.5 = 5 miles

And then continue with the formula I mentioned in one of my earlier posts --- If you convert 1300ft into miles, that's 0.246 miles. Then divide 0.246 miles by the 5 mile distance covered ==> 0.246/5 = 0.0492 = ~5%.

And that's how to calculate % grade from one of those elevation charts. It works the same way for all of them.
Attached Images
Grade %3_2.JPG (58.4 KB, 93 views)
Old 04-17-06, 11:38 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by cyclintom
Is it just me or does anyone else think that the sin of the hypoteneuse equal the opposite so that 4 miles at 39.2% would mean a climb of about 6200 feet or over a mile high?

Did you read one of my previous posts:

If it were a 39% grade over approx. 5 miles that would be 5*.39 = 1.95 miles or an elevation gain of approx. 10,300 feet in 5 miles.

Think of it this way ... that's like climbing approx. 2 vertical miles over the space of 5 miles which can also be expressed as the fraction 2/5ths (rise over run) ... which is 40%.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.