Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

riding against traffic??

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

riding against traffic??

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-06, 07:02 AM
savage24

Bikes: Performance mountain bike, Giant Cypress LX hybrid, Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
riding against traffic??

I cross the Missouri river on my commute and use a suitable bridge to do so (relatively good shoulders, 'share the road' signs posted). Many cyclist and pedestrians use this bridge. Twice in the last two weeks I have met a man on a road bike riding south on the northbound shoulder. The first time was a bit of a surprise as I was coming off of the bridge (downhill) at 30mph when he came around the the railing and started on to the approach to the bridge. I met him again yesterday morning, he was a little farther on to the bridge so he did not have the 'came out of nowhere' affect as the first time. Now that I know to watch for this guy, it's not a big deal, just another hazard (IMO) to deal with. I am curius how other BF members view riding against traffic?

Last edited by savage24; 07-02-06 at 12:04 AM.
Old 07-01-06, 07:09 AM
nova
hill hater

Location: norton ohio 5.5 miles from center road tow path trail head

Bikes: cannondale t400 1987 model and a raleigh gran prix from 1973

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dangerous pure and simple. Its not somethign a driver expects it gives you less time to react etc
Old 07-01-06, 08:11 AM
markf

Bikes: '93 Bridgestone MB-3, '88 Marinoni road bike, '00 Marinoni Piuma, '01 Riv A/R

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've always understood that riding against the flow of traffic increases the odds of the cyclist getting hit by a car, and we all know who's going to lose in that scenario.

Anytime cyclists start writing their own traffic laws other road users get annoyed, and justifiably so.
Old 07-01-06, 08:54 AM
mechBgon

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
If it becomes a frequent event, consider tipping off the police so they can issue him a warning. That's not safe for him, for you, or for the other people on the road.
Old 07-01-06, 09:57 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 837 Posts
If he were a hazard only to himself, I would ignore him. However, under this and similar scenarios, the contraflow cyclist does pose a significant hazard to everyone else, and he needs to be educated. Try stopping in the bike lane and blocking his progress, forcing him into oncoming traffic; maybe he'll get the message.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 07-01-06, 10:02 AM
TRaffic Jammer
Dances With Cars

Bikes: TBL Onyx Pro(ss converted), Pake SS (starting to look kinda pimped)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
he's a fool, and should be corrected before he gets someone killed
Old 07-01-06, 10:13 AM
Neist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Its one of the easiest ways if you want to die.

That, and riding on sidewalks carelessly (If your overly cautious sidewalks are possible, but you'd be going so slow you might as well be walking..).
Old 07-01-06, 10:24 AM
N_C
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Read this thread to know how a lot of us feel about it: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=205363

The OP is an advocate for riding against traffic though. Hopefully the guy you encounter is only uneducated & not like-minded. Perhaps you could politley engage in conversation with him & kindly advise him as to the rules of the road & how dangerous it is to ride against traffic.
Old 07-01-06, 06:47 PM
EnigManiac

Bikes: BikeE AT, Firebike Bling Bling, Norco Trike (customized)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Use your new AirZounds on him right when you are side by side and there's no motor vehicles present. Maybe he'll get the hint. And, you would be justified in sounding a warning.
Old 07-01-06, 07:47 PM
sbhikes
Dominatrikes

Bikes: Catrike Pocket, Lightning Thunderbold recumbent, Trek 3000 MTB.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe he'll win the Darwin award.
Old 07-01-06, 08:22 PM
DieselDan

Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.

Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Dangerous and illegal. You'll get a $72 ticket for it here. I sometimes will cuss them out.
Old 07-01-06, 08:28 PM
poopncow
MADE IN HONG KONG

Bikes: some but not enough

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is this like the walk against traffic advice we were given as kids? there is some merit, but only if the other walkers and bicycles were doing the same.
Old 07-01-06, 08:30 PM
tomg

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
recently, i have welcomed them by a "hi", then promptly "wrong way". i have noticed an apparent increased "correct" direction (with other traffic) bicyclists.
don't know long term effect, if any, but one driver at a time...is all you can do sometimes!
Old 07-01-06, 08:54 PM
bragi
bragi

Bikes: LHT

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
If he were a hazard only to himself, I would ignore him. However, under this and similar scenarios, the contraflow cyclist does pose a significant hazard to everyone else, and he needs to be educated. Try stopping in the bike lane and blocking his progress, forcing him into oncoming traffic; maybe he'll get the message.
I agree the man's a menace, but I wouldn't advocate killing him by forcing him into oncoming traffic, either...
Old 07-01-06, 09:01 PM
ReptilesBlade 

Bikes: 2006 Trek 7500 Multitrack, 1985 Roadmaster Pro Tour

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 2 Posts
I only ride against traffic when I am on the sidewalks with no peds, if I am in the roads I am going the same way as everyone else in the rightmost lane.

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=177616
Old 07-01-06, 10:37 PM
nedgoudy

Bikes: Easy Racers EZ-1 and Lightning Thunderbolt Recumbent Bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I shout and rant at the
people that do that. I
use the F word, whatever
I feel like doing. And once
in a while I will STOP right
in their path an explain to
them how they could kill
someone doing that at night,
since these are the same donkeys
that don't use lights at night IME.

Unfortunately, most of the people
that do it in my neighborhood are
illegal mexicans who don't speak
English, or some of the Foreign
students from the local JC that
are Indonesian, Chinese or Japanese
and don't speaky too much either.

Very distressing. I just holler at
em and say a little pray for them
and me and go on.
Old 07-01-06, 11:40 PM
savage24

Bikes: Performance mountain bike, Giant Cypress LX hybrid, Surly Long Haul Trucker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I may say "wrong way!" as we meet sometime if I'm in the mood, but I generally believe that attempts to 'educate' people in circumstances like this are futile. I believe Heinlein said it best: "Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and annoys the pig". He appears to be in his 50's (old enough to know better) and an experienced rider; he holds his line and watches where he's going. Also, judging from appearance (I know, I probably shouldn't... ) I would not be surprised if he lives under the bridge, or he could be an eccentric millionaire or maybe a college professor - picture a giant garden gnome on an old road bike.

He may in fact become a Darwin Award candidate someday, but I won't let him involve me in that process!

Last edited by savage24; 07-01-06 at 11:52 PM.
Old 07-02-06, 01:31 AM
Tskuller
crooked member

Bikes: Scott Speedster S50 & Giant FCR3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is this the Heart of America bridge that you guys are crossing paths on?
Old 07-02-06, 02:18 AM
sunofsand

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unless the guy causes an accident
I don't care.
I do it sometimes. I'm not blind, stupid, dead or emotionally scarring people.
Is this guy seriously a hazard or is this behavior something you've been warned of since you were 10 years old?
When I do things such as this I am extremely aware of my surroundings. I know how fast I have to be and exactly where I need to place myself in order to be completely safe doing it. I know where people are. I take responsibilty for other lives. I don't put another into a situation where they have to be perfect in order to stay safe and whole. Maybe some are simply not able to calculate these types of things while on the move as easily as others, I don't know. Timing is a skill and some just don't have it. With great timing etc you can do things others are scared of trying. "Timing" also affords one the ability to determine whether or not another is a careless prick or a harmless someone with the same skills as you looking for a challenge.

While you say that this rider is a top candidate for a Darwin Award
They may just be asserting their dominance over you.

In a typical ride along city streets it may scare you if another rider were to weave his way through a handful of other tightly packed cyclists at a high rate of speed just to pass
You may want to shout obscenities

Better athletes would see it as some great sh*t

No one is above the law

IMO
Many laws are there for the weakest links that otherwise could meet with injury and/or death if left to themselves for very long. Imagine how dangerous a world this would be if all those stop signs at extremely busy intersections were removed. Not dangerous at all unless you have a bunch of morons at the wheel.

So, go ahead and shout your warnings. That's a nice, caring thing to do for another person who may just not know any better. I'd probably just wave back.

Funny how you come into this forum asking for "other" BF members opinions, though.
It's pretty likely that the ones you'll see post the most in here are of the same mindset as you.
Old 07-02-06, 02:26 AM
savage24

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tskuller
Is this the Heart of America bridge that you guys are crossing paths on?
Yep, sure is!
Old 07-02-06, 03:06 AM
savage24

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[QUOTE=sunofsand]
Is this guy seriously a hazard or is this behavior something you've been warned of since you were 10 years old?

As I stated in my original post: now that I know to watch for him, it's not a big deal, just another hazard (much like drivers approaching an intersection were I have the right of way; they are a hazard until we have made eye contact).

While you say that this rider is a top candidate for a Darwin Award
They may just be asserting their dominance over you.

Yes, but there is a fine line between the two. Many Darwin winners were displaying their superior abilities and prowess at the time they became winners.

Many laws are there for the weakest links that otherwise could meet with injury and/or death if left to themselves for very long.
I agree, and think it is a shame; there is way too much sludge in the gene pool! Actually, many laws and rules are made not to protect the weak links; but to protect the rest of us from the weak links. This only works when the weak links obey the laws and rules.

Imagine how dangerous a world this would be if all those stop signs at extremely busy intersections were removed. Not dangerous at all unless you have a bunch of morons at the wheel.
Try walking on the Country Club Plaza in Kansas City sometime.

So, go ahead and shout your warnings. That's a nice, caring thing to do for another person who may just not know any better. I'd probably just wave back.
"Never try to teach a pig to sing...."

Funny how you come into this forum asking for "other" BF members opinions, though.
It's pretty likely that the ones you'll see post the most in here are of the same mindset as you.

I am relatively new to bicycle commuting (did a little last year, doing more this year), this is the first time I have encountered a cyclist riding against traffic. It seemed unnecessary and dangerous to me, but I'm new at this and don't know everything, so I asked for opinions from others. What's wrong with that?

Last edited by savage24; 07-02-06 at 05:51 AM.
Old 07-02-06, 03:44 AM
M3ta7h3ad

Bikes: Apollo CX10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm guilty of it at times, but it tends to be when I've messed up and cant get on the other side of the road due to traffic. At those points its not long until I hop up onto the pavement and dismount to cross the damn road to have another go at it.

Perhaps the guy is following the advice given in the UK Highway Code, Always walk facing traffic. (its why bloody joggers are constantly in your way on bike paths! lol damn things! ) I'd yell a warning if I was arsed, if not then I'd just ignore him. He'll learn his lesson at somepoint im sure.
Old 07-02-06, 11:57 AM
tequila sanchez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i live in jersey, and theres this one street that i have to walk to get home from the train station sometimes. well, theres this bridge for cars (duh) that gets you over the tracks than run underneath, and the bridge has only 1 'real' sidewalk, so often time you'll see people and bicycles going on there. because the lane that is closest to that sidewalk is only one lane, its rather risky to ride on the street, so people will ride on the sidewalk. often times you'll see people being smart and walking their bike over though, so props to them.

as for the op's question, when i run, i do against traffic, so that i can see what's coming at me. but usually i actually end up going with traffic. when it comes to riding i always do 'with traffic', unless i end up on the wrong side b/c of traffic, like someone else posted here. i guess that if you cant 'teach' that guy to use the correct side, and it doesnt bug u incredibly, then just deal with it? gl
Old 07-02-06, 12:33 PM
SamHouston
Good Afternoon!

Bikes: Various by application

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sunofsand
Better athletes would see it as some great sh*t
Tell me how it makes you a better athelete again?
Old 07-02-06, 12:46 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
I got jinxed reading this thread. Last night a cyclist (adult, so-called) in a midblock rideout almost creamed me. Less than half a block later I moved out into the inner lane to avoid a second cyclist (forty-something) who was riding the wrong way.

"Think Outside the Cage"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.