Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Digital Camera

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Digital Camera

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-06, 08:27 AM
Deleted User

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Digital Camera

My search for a digital camera (to frame my tours) has started. Any suggestions?

chris
Old 09-12-06, 08:59 AM
Losligato
VWVagabonds.com

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love our Digital Elph.

It is small enough to fit into a handbar bag, battery is rechargable, takes high quality photos and video clips. It survived well on our very wet tour down the west coast and is now headed to asia.

Old 09-12-06, 09:33 AM
papedaler

Bikes: Trek 2120, LeMond Zurich

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Earlier this year I was searching for the "perfect" bike camera and it came down to a Canon Elph or the Sony T7. I ended up getting the T7 and unfortunately it was the wrong choice. The Sony is incredibly small and easily slips into the rear pocket of a cycling jersey. It takes great pictures but it doesn't have a view finder and outside on a sunny day it is very difficult to frame a picture using the LCD screen. Under the right conditions it's still a great camera but not outside on a sunny day.
So my suggestion is to make sure you get a camera with a viewfinder, it's worth the little extra size.
Old 09-12-06, 09:46 AM
khuon
DEADBEEF

Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA

Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I have an old Minolta DiMage X. It was the first of the new breed of ultracompact digital cameras that offerred non-protruding optical zoom lens. Minolta no longer makes digital cameras though. The Sony T-series is a good choice as is the Nikon Coolpix S-series and the Olympus Stylus 720SW. The Nikon S6 has built-in Wi-Fi and that might be a nice feature to have when touring since it will let you upload your pictures to a hosting site while in the middle of the tour just by visiting some place with a hotspot (such as Starbucks). The Olympus S720SW also seems like a good choice since it's waterproof and shockproof.

All of these cameras would be my recommendation because they're slim, compact, don't have protruding lenses (yet still have optical zoom) and can be operated with one hand so you can shoot on the move. they also have features that should come in useful for taking pictures quickly such as burst or continuous-shoot mode and fast startup times.
Old 09-12-06, 09:53 AM
MillCreek
BF Risk Manager

Bikes: Road, mountain and folding

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I think any one of a number of Canon Powershots would be an excellent choice. For touring, I have a bias towards cameras that use AA batteries, as opposed to proprietary rechargeables. In an emergency, or in an area without electricity, you can always use AA alkaline batteries, which are readily found all over the world. The downside of these cameras is they tend to be somewhat larger. Having said that, I have a number of Olympus Stylus cameras that I am happy with, although they take the proprietary rechargeables. They are water resistant, which is important to me up here in the very wet part of the Pacific Northwest.
Old 09-12-06, 10:17 AM
caligurl
OMG! i'm a DURT gurl!!!!

Bikes: 2007 specialized stumpjumper FSR expert, 2006 specialized ruby pro, 2004 specialized dolce elite, 2005 specialized hardrock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have a kodak v530 that i bought specifically for use on the bike! takes great pics... uses AA batteries and and SD card... even takes little movies!

AND it's small... small enough for my handlebar bag or even small enough for a jersey pocket or bento bag!
Old 09-12-06, 10:26 AM
FlowerBlossom
My tank takes chocolate.

Bikes: Trek 600 series touring bike, Trek 800 hybrid, Bianchi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got the Canon PowerShot A700. I like it so far. I got it for the macro capabilities, for a camera that size, but also the 6x optical lens.
Old 09-12-06, 10:33 AM
CHenry

Bikes: A bunch

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Fujifilm FinePix F30 is a good choice. For travel, battery life is at least as important as compactness (picture quality and lens quality aside). There are a few that take AA alkalines, which if your charge runs down is a nice option, and cheaper than buying a second battery with a charger.
Old 09-12-06, 11:05 AM
jimx200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A BIG yes on the need for a viewfinder. Way too frustrating when shooting in bright sun trying to view shot on a lcd screen. Batteries: the convenience of using AA's for me are overshadowed by their short life. I prefer to keep a fully charged spare (non AA). Most proprietary batteries have a substantially longer shoot life then AA. Lense: buy the best lense you can afford. I really like the Leica lenses used by Panasonic...the clarity is awesome.
Old 09-12-06, 11:20 AM
chinitonorte

Bikes: Salsa La Cruz, Fat Chance Kicker, 29SS

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
+1 on the Canon A700, the 6x optical zoom is nice. AA batteries and light too.
Old 09-12-06, 11:36 AM
Erick L
Lentement mais sûrement

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I used to recommend a camera that uses AA batteries but now, most use a Lithium-Ion battery that lasts very long. AAs are more expensive inthe long run. Bring a second battery and should be ok for a good while. Bring the charger and when the first battery dies, start looking for a place where you can recharge it (campground office or take a electrified site for one night, garage, restaurant, motel, etc). The best is a camera with an adapter that allows the use of AAs but I doubt many P&S have this.
Old 09-12-06, 11:43 AM
roadfix
hello

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 51 Posts
I just picked up a Panasonic FX01. The nicest feature of this camera besides the Leica lens is that it's optical zoom starts off with a wide angle. (28mm equiv)
Although it does not have an optical viewfinder, I find its large 2.5" monitor reasonably sufficient even in bright sunlight.
Old 09-12-06, 12:29 PM
NoReg
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
What about the aas in nickle whatever? They are rechargeable and some of them claim 500 shots per charge. I have to say the rechargeable battery in my Sony looks just like two plastic clad AAs with external contacts...
Old 09-12-06, 01:34 PM
MillCreek
BF Risk Manager

Bikes: Road, mountain and folding

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Peterpan1
What about the aas in nickle whatever? They are rechargeable and some of them claim 500 shots per charge. I have to say the rechargeable battery in my Sony looks just like two plastic clad AAs with external contacts...
In my cameras that use AAs and in my Canon 580ex flashgun, I use 2500 mAh Everready rechargeable batteries. They last a surprisingly long time, and when I am out in the field, I carry a set of alkaline AAs as an emergency backup.
Old 09-12-06, 01:36 PM
stokell

Bikes: Custom built tourer, custom electric bike, beaters everywhere

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I purchased ditigal cameras for several colleges in the past. Before that I was a professional silver-based photographer for 17 years. I discovered through trial and error that as a rule, the 'old' camera manufacturers still seem to have the best optics. Canon, Minolta, Canon, Pentax, Nikon et al. The most disapointing optically was a first generation Sony (although I believe now they are purchasing lenses from an optics firm).

I wanted a compact camera, that uses standard AA size batteries that I could charge at home and then just purchase on the road, that has a decent lens. I bought a 6 mega pixel Pentax and I have been happy with the results.
Check them out!
Old 09-12-06, 02:40 PM
ctyler
Badger Biker

Bikes: Cannondale Saeco CAD-3, Surly Cross Check

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Losligato
I love our Digital Elph.

It is small enough to fit into a handbar bag, battery is rechargable, takes high quality photos and video clips. It survived well on our very wet tour down the west coast and is now headed to asia.

I'll second this choice. A great camera with enough megapixels at the right size.
Old 09-13-06, 10:39 AM
MichaelW

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I bought a 4MP Nikon digicam for my parents and have used it a bit. It all works very well, the macro and panoramic modes are handy, you have some control of the flash and exposure overide and the viewfinder is handy in poor light conditions (eg night time shots).
The zooms of pocket cameras usually do not go very wide. I would prefer a ~28mm.
Dont get caught in a MPixel trap. Figure out how big you would want to enlarge your pics then choose sensibly. High mp cameras can lose out on sensitivity and noise levels and the pictures take up more space.
Old 09-13-06, 12:18 PM
roadfix
hello

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 51 Posts
It's increasingly getting difficult to find anything under 5 mp theses days with point & shoot cameras. The 28mm wide angle is nice. That was the one must have feature I had to have when I bought my last digicam, the Panasonic FX01.
Old 09-13-06, 01:08 PM
Richbiker

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Canon

I'd go with one of the canon digital elph's. I have an S400. I had an S500, but it got stolen. The SD versions are a little different--different memory card, more compact, bigger LCD screen to eat your batteries faster. But here's why I like the digital elph's
-very compact
-digital and optical zoom
-mine has a view finder and LCD screen (not sure if some of the newer ones have the viewfinder).
-you can shut off the LCD screen to conserve battery power.
-it takes movies
-it has a lot of flexibility and adjustment, yet is simple to operate.
-they "feel" sturdy and well built--you can feel the weight in your hand--it's not quite so plastic-like. Still, don't drop it down the stairs.

Well, it won't take AA batteries--it has it's own proprietary battery pack, but it seems to charge up pretty fast. If you are looking for re-chargeable AA's, you want NiMH (nickel metal hydride)--they last pretty long between charges, and don't develop a "memory" problem like NiCad (nickel cadmium). In fact, I haven't seen NiCad batteries in stores for a couple of years now.
Rich
Old 09-13-06, 02:59 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
I've been happy with my Kodak Easyshare.

This is mine from around 2004 https://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/CX6330/C633A.HTM

Here's a newer one (Canadian prices) https://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...55&catid=11719

Last edited by cooker; 09-13-06 at 03:09 PM.
Old 09-14-06, 12:06 AM
eos30d

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like Canon and I have a DSLR the Eos30d, but if I buy one for touring it must use AA batteries, realy like the fuji's point and shoots, look in to the fuji E900, the f10 and f30 are nice too but don't use AA batteries.https://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/e900.html
Old 09-14-06, 05:03 AM
librarian

Bikes: Giant OCR Touring, Raleigh Sport Comfort, Cannondale ST400, Cannondale Road Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i've been very satified with my Pentax Optio "W" cam. It's waterproof and small enough to fit in your pocket.

Optio Info
Review
Old 09-19-06, 11:59 PM
chrisch

Bikes: Trek 520, Gary Fisher Big Sur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Chris,

I've been very happy with my Canon PowerShot A520. It takes two AA batteries and has a good battery life. For wide-angle shots --which are common on tour-- I take a series of overlapping photos and stitch them together with PTGui. Here is a sample from my summer 2006 tour. Good luck! chris

Originally Posted by Krafcik
My search for a digital camera (to frame my tours) has started. Any suggestions?
Old 09-20-06, 04:29 AM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I'm with the Librarian on this one- Pentax Optio WP. waterproof.....no moving lens nonsense.....25 minutes of video on a 1GB SD card...very sophisticated on-board software...
Old 09-20-06, 08:48 AM
maxine

Bikes: Airborne Carpe Diem; Trek 520

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bekologist
I'm with the Librarian on this one- Pentax Optio WP. waterproof.....no moving lens nonsense.....25 minutes of video on a 1GB SD card...very sophisticated on-board software...
Here's another vote for this camera!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.