Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Roadie's probable recklessness leaves a woman brain dead

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Roadie's probable recklessness leaves a woman brain dead

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-14, 09:45 PM
RIRview

Bikes: Trek Domane 6.2 Project One

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
Investigator #1 : He says it cost $4000.
Investigator #2 : You don't say. My wife would kill me.
Beat Cop: That bastard.

So you click this doohickey up here and the thingamabob in the back moves.

Even for the 41, that's in pretty poor taste, considering a woman will probably lose her life over this.
Old 09-18-14, 10:59 PM
AbsurdChalk
Dead Fly

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Bianchi Campione D'Italia, Bianchi Ibex

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RollCNY
Life lesson, Sparky:
The way to ignore someone is to actually ignore someone.
And to teach a life lesson comes with a knowing of life which I don't think anyone has credentials for, "teacher".
Old 09-18-14, 11:11 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26382 Post(s)
Liked 10,361 Times in 7,196 Posts
...we had a big to do over some Strava guy trying to podium here in San Francisco about a year ago (maybe longer.)
Killed some poor old guy in a crosswalk, and then rode home and got on the innerweebz and posted some stuff about it.

They charged him with manslaughter, but the trial took forever (I think until the hubbub died down a little).

Bucchere was scheduled to go to trial in October when he agreed to the plea bargain. Judge James Collins sentenced him in San Francisco Superior Court.
Gascón said Bucchere's "egregious" conduct before the crash warranted the felony conviction. Bucchere sped through several stop signs before arriving at Castro and Market, and he rode into the intersection after the light turned red, prosecutors said.
After the accident, but before Hui died, Bucchere wrote a post on an online cycling forum saying he was "way too committed to stop" before hitting Hui.
Bucchere dedicated the post to his "late helmet. She died in heroic fashion today as my head slammed into the tarmac."
Bicyclist sentenced for fatal S.F. crash - SFGate
Old 09-18-14, 11:13 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26382 Post(s)
Liked 10,361 Times in 7,196 Posts
...I should probably post that in the Helment thread.
Old 09-18-14, 11:33 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12736 Post(s)
Liked 7,647 Times in 4,055 Posts
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...I should probably post that in the Helment thread.
Thread needs merged with helmet thread.
Old 09-19-14, 12:11 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by WalksOn2Wheels
Holy cow, that is one of the most perfect pieces of sensationalist yellow journalism I have ever had the chance to read. I mean, the cold facts probably point to the cyclist being at fault, but wow, the phrasing, the diction, everything they can possibly stack against the cyclist. They spin better than a track champion.
That's the sanguine charm of the Post. They don't pretend to not have an opinion, and are rather proud of their sensational word choices and pedestrian idiom, but they do a serviceable job when it comes to reportage.
Old 09-19-14, 04:23 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvo
That is awful. Not sure if it's the same dude but this Jason Marshall is a serious rider:

Jason M. | Cyclist on Strava
Maybe I did the math wrong but averaging under 15 mph on routes that average 30 ft. of elevation per mile doesn't impress me. Especially after all the miles he rides. Of course if he's confining his rides to NYC dodging traffic and pedestrians complicates things a bit. I hate to say it but this reminds me of that story about the guy chasing a Strava record in SF who killed an older man who was trying to cross an intersection in downtown.
Old 09-19-14, 04:24 AM
bruce19

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...we had a big to do over some Strava guy trying to podium here in San Francisco about a year ago (maybe longer.)
Killed some poor old guy in a crosswalk, and then rode home and got on the innerweebz and posted some stuff about it.

They charged him with manslaughter, but the trial took forever (I think until the hubbub died down a little).

Bicyclist sentenced for fatal S.F. crash - SFGate

Missed this. Sorry.
Old 09-19-14, 04:29 AM
bruce19

Originally Posted by UnfilteredDregs
The problem in Central Park is none of the rules are enforced. Pedestrians constantly jaywalk, ignore lights, walkers, joggers in the bike lanes, slow riders in the fast bike lane, riders cycling against the CCW traffic flow...Cyclists ignoring lights, when avoiding hazards coming over into the walking and driving lanes, etc.. There's been a focus on enforcing cycling rules by the NYPD but I think a class action suit is being filed against the city because the enforcement is selective...
This is why I stick to the roads and avoid MUPs.
Old 09-19-14, 04:34 AM
bruce19

Holy cow, that is one of the most perfect pieces of sensationalist yellow journalism I have ever had the chance to read. I mean, the cold facts probably point to the cyclist being at fault, but wow, the phrasing, the diction, everything they can possibly stack against the cyclist. They spin better than a track champion.
I was taken by their "phrasing" as well. Reminds me of the time a guy drove out of a parking garage and T-boned me and my Ducati. He admitted he "didn't see" me, there were witnesses to that fact and he got the ticket. His lawyer tried to argue that I was on a "race bike." Kind of funny 'cause that bike was an old fashioned, air cooled motor that had about 1/2 the power of most sport bikes. I had to explain to him that "race bikes" aren't street legal.
Old 09-19-14, 04:37 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Even though you can make that point and journalism in this country has sunk to a low of not representing the truth...sometimes even remotely, sounds as though this cyclist was in the wrong and per the article if believable, was riding in his aero bars without brakes which made matters much worse.

Even though I would say by and large cyclists get the short end of the stick in most crash scenarios on the road in terms of lack of prosecution where a cyclist is maimed or killed, there is a subset of cyclists on the road that ride like idiots and this guy 'may' be one of them. Only way to determine this is in court and of course that is no guarantee of seeking the truth either....but the best we have. If he did have the time to yell at the lady, he had time to brake and my guess and only that is if riding out on aerobars without brakes, he made a calculated judgment that he could avoid the lady by getting her attention and not changing his speed. This was stupid if true.

In any event, this is a very sad story and a shame.

Last edited by Campag4life; 09-19-14 at 05:26 AM.
Old 09-19-14, 04:49 AM
mukman

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My girlfriend's dad got hit by a cyclist who cut a corner through the sidewalk, broke his hip, died in the hospital.
Old 09-19-14, 05:33 AM
RollCNY
Speechless

Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by campingkameron
And to teach a life lesson comes with a knowing of life which I don't think anyone has credentials for, "teacher".
Dear Mr. Sock Troll,
For circular words to contain wisdom, first place wisdom in the circle.

Warm Regards,
Your Hero & Teacher
Old 09-19-14, 06:13 AM
GiChoke

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bathwater
GiChoke, you wouldn't happen to train BJJ with Marcelo, would you?
Nah, I train at Renzos. Are you a Marcelo guy? I got some buddies that train there.
Old 09-19-14, 06:34 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
This is why I stick to the roads and avoid MUPs.
Spend some time in NYC and you'll see why people frequently ride in Central Park/Prospect Park - it's sure not perfect, but not everyone can commit to multiple rides outside of the city per week (depending upon where you live, it may take a few hours just to get to/from an open road).
Old 09-19-14, 06:48 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1442 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
I am thinking that Aerobars plus NYC is not a good mix. But hindsight is 20/20. I feel bad for all involved.
That's easy enough to see in foresight. Aerobars have a time and a place. Riding in busy traffic (automobile, or pedestrian) is not that place.

Having quicker access to the brakes, and being more manueverable might not have prevented this, but it certainly wouldn't have hurt.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 09-19-14, 06:59 AM
WhyFi

BTW, the article has been updated with additional info about both the rider and the ped. There's a photo of the rider and they say that he is, indeed, a sax player.
Old 09-19-14, 07:02 AM
Campag4life
Voice of the Industry

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
That's easy enough to see in foresight. Aerobars have a time and a place. Riding in busy traffic (automobile, or pedestrian) is not that place.

Having quicker access to the brakes, and being more manueverable might not have prevented this, but it certainly wouldn't have hurt.
I believe that was datlas' point. Where in NYC can you ride flat out on aerobars with no brakes where you aren't constantly encountering cars and pedestrians?
Without perfect presentation of the what happened, this was a case where a guy was riding too fast without immediate access to braking where pedestrians are present albeit maybe intermittently. Very bad judgment that cost a life.
Old 09-19-14, 07:10 AM
halfspeed

Bikes: are better than yours.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
BTW, the article has been updated with additional info about both the rider and the ped. There's a photo of the rider and they say that he is, indeed, a sax player.
That explains it. Sax players are a bunch of arrogant a-hole elitists. Never would have happened if he was a viola player.
Old 09-19-14, 07:18 AM
Herbie53

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For me, the interesting part of this is the bias in the article as compared to the bias you typically see when a car hits a cyclist. Drivers hitting cyclist is an accident or if the possibility exists the fault of the cyclist.

Quote from this article...

"...came barreling along West Drive at around 4:30 p.m. and yelled for her to get out of his way, law enforcement sources said."
Old 09-19-14, 07:18 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by halfspeed
That explains it. Sax players are a bunch of arrogant a-hole elitists. Never would have happened if he was a viola player.
Oh stop - I only mentioned that because someone on page 2 was wondering if the rider was the sax player of the same name.

...and you forgot to mention that sax players are always coked up. Everybody knows this, man.
Old 09-19-14, 07:21 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13694 Post(s)
Liked 4,520 Times in 2,499 Posts
Originally Posted by Herbie53
For me, the interesting part of this is the bias in the article as compared to the bias you typically see when a car hits a cyclist. Drivers hitting cyclist is an accident or if the possibility exists the fault of the cyclist.

Quote from this article...

"...came barreling along West Drive at around 4:30 p.m. and yelled for her to get out of his way, law enforcement sources said."
Car drivers don't yell at you first. They just hit you.
Old 09-19-14, 07:23 AM
Herbie53

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28
Car drivers don't yell at you first. They just hit you.
Probably doesn't have a horn on his TT bike. For $4K, you would think it would have a horn.
Old 09-19-14, 07:29 AM
RollCNY
Speechless

Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 16 Posts
I was yelling at the car that hit me last month. I was also hard on the brakes, and taking evasive maneuvers. Amazingly, one can yell at someone and still be trying to safely avoid a collision. One does not preclude the other.
Old 09-19-14, 07:42 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
This sort of thing happened here in Philly a few years ago. Some guy leaving work and crossing the street with the light was hit by a cyclist. The pedestrian fell, hit his head and eventually died from his injury. He left behind a family. The cyclist fell, got up, straightened his handlebars and rode off. He has never been identified despite the large reward offered by the victim's employer.

As a frequent pedestrian, bike commuter, road rider and cycle tourist, I am tired of all the bad behavior exhibitied by motorists, cyclists and pedestrians alike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.