Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Position at Left Turn Only

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 09-25-17, 03:41 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1293 Post(s)
Liked 929 Times in 485 Posts

I am wondering if I can get some feedback on what I have been doing at "left turn only" lanes, when the light is red and I am preparing to turn left: Let's say there are three lanes; the left turn only with a green arrow, a center "straight only", and a "right turn or go straight" lane on the right.
Okay. I am in between two lead cars; left and go straight, maybe a bike length ahead of the lead car. When we get the green arrow, I make an even swoop, paralleling (in an arc) the car to my left.
The reason I am asking for feedback is because one driver yelled something at me once we took the turn, the other day, and I feel as though I had perhaps confused or startled him. Also, I have seen riders position themselves behind the lead car, to take the turn. I don't do this because I do not want to get caught up in motor traffic, and I could make an error in trying to keep up with their speed.
Old 09-25-17, 03:56 PM
Colnago Mixte

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
It's not something drivers are used to seeing, so it probably confuses them as to what they're supposed to do when they see you do this. They assume you'll do something crazy like most typical cyclists do in traffic, even though you're just trying your best to be safe.

I would take the center of the turn lane and sort of pretend to be a motorcycle and hope no one notices. Take off when light changes, and then move right once the turn is completed, after looking back to make sure no cars are passing me on my right.

Cars are pretty slow when they take off and not hard to keep up with for the first 20-30 feet from a dead stop. In any event, you'll certainly accelerate faster than an 18 wheeler can, and people don't get too pissed off at them for holding up traffic a bit at lights. And if it's of any consolation to the cars, once they pass you, within five seconds they'll be right back in traffic as if you were never there.
Old 09-25-17, 04:02 PM
MidSouthBiker

Bikes: Mr.White Mr.Green Mr.Orange

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I "take the lane". Before getting to the intersection I am already moving over and merging into the left turn lane. I position myself along with the passenger side wheels of the autos, and it doesn't matter if I am first or in line behind autos at the intersection. I know others may disagree with that, but I will not be making a left turn at a light from all the way over in the very right side of the right hand lane.
Old 09-25-17, 04:30 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
For 15 years I have been lining up with the other vehicles. I position myself in the left third of the lane, directly behind the driver of the vehicle in front on me. I would never be adjacent to other vehicles as many left turn drivers swing wide. Being left biased in lane also provides an unobstructed view of oncoming traffic.
Old 09-25-17, 07:00 PM
Ninety5rpm
Banned

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 959 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam
For 15 years I have been lining up with the other vehicles. I position myself in the left third of the lane, directly behind the driver of the vehicle in front on me. I would never be adjacent to other vehicles as many left turn drivers swing wide. Being left biased in lane also provides an unobstructed view of oncoming traffic.
Same.
Old 09-25-17, 07:13 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
I either take the lane, or split the lanes depending on how much room I have after making the turn (of course, I have to make the turn wide enough to not get in the way). When splitting the lanes, some turning cars will kind of hold back, I guess fearing that I will wander into their path but in general it works well as long as I know there's room for me after the turn. The one caveat is sometimes there is also a right turn lane for oncoming traffic and they might try to make the turn (often there is a yield sign for them) into the space I intend to occupy.

scott s.
Old 09-25-17, 07:27 PM
Colnago Mixte

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
People are patient with bikes in the turning lane for the most part, provided the rider knows what they're doing and doesn't hold them up, and especially doesn't make them miss the light.

Many of the times I've been honked at (I know, another thread) it's been because I had a hard time getting clipped into my pedals when the light changed. And when they start honking, it makes it even harder to clip in. I always try to stay clipped in if possible, but some lights are longer than my trackstanding abilities, unfortunately.
Old 09-25-17, 08:29 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 317 Times in 244 Posts
I am on the lane line at the front if possible. Depends on the light timing. Lots of times I just do the square stop and turn. There is ZERO need to be in the left track.
Old 09-25-17, 08:48 PM
SylvainG

Bikes: Schwinn Miranda 1990, Giant TCX 2 2012

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Here's what I do. I align myself with the passenger side front bumper. I extend my left arm and look at the driver. He acknowledges my presence and we make the turn when the light turn green, most of the time he'll stay behind me but sometime we move parallel. I once had a lady that backed up when I looked at her. I told her she didn't have to, that I was just mentioning to her that I was turning left like her. Never had an issue.
Old 09-26-17, 12:34 AM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Like many here, I just take the center of the left turn lane. I generally wait more for cars than cars wait for me. If I happen to take the turn slower than someone in a car behind me, that's just not terribly important to me.

That said, if I'm riding something nicer than my town bike (one-speed, very low gear) and I see that the light is going to change to green as I approach, I have no problem with doing a bit of lane splitting to get near the front of the queue. This is assuming I am familiar enough with the intersection that I know I have a safe place to be after the turn is made.
Old 09-26-17, 05:18 AM
FenderTL5

Bikes: Trek 7.3FX, Diamondback Edgewood hybrid, KHS Montana

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I cue up in the lane, usually in the left tire track - right in front of the driver position. Typically I don't filter forward unless there's a bike box and I know there's time to get positioned in it before the light changes.
On my 15 mile commute, there is only one location with a bike box.
Old 09-26-17, 07:39 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2133 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
I almost always move through intersections in the lane.
Old 09-26-17, 07:45 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
I get in line same as everyone else but usually positioned so I can be seen in the side mirror of the car ahead. I usually make a wide sweeping turn so that cars behind can pass on the left.
Old 09-26-17, 07:55 AM
Colnago Mixte

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I found that if you cut to the left sharply while making the turn, you'll shorten the distance traveled and actually find yourself waiting for the car ahead of you to move forward. That gives me plenty of time to slowly merge right, back onto the shoulder. That is if you actually ride on the shoulder, many riders are too prideful for that, and opt to stay in the middle of the traffic lane. Not that there's anything WRONG with that, I just feel safer out of the traffic lane when traffic is going faster than I am. Weird, I know . . .
Old 09-26-17, 07:58 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
I do it exactly as I would if I were in a car or a motorcycle. No reason to leave the person behind me wondering what I am going to do if I act out of the ordinary, and as others have mentioned I can accelerate with cars generally enough to get through the intersection anyhow.
Old 09-26-17, 08:04 AM
Colnago Mixte

Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
That's my golden rule in unfamiliar traffic situations. "When in doubt, do what a car or a motorcycle would do."
Old 09-26-17, 12:55 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 1,669 Times in 825 Posts
I take the lane. If I can't get over to the turn lane safely I cross over the intersection and then either circle around and position myself to cross again in the direction I wanted, or I make a u-turn and get in the right hand turn lane to turn onto the street in the direction I wanted. It depends.
Old 09-26-17, 01:08 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
sometimes I take the lead & jump ahead, sometimes I wait with a slight nod to the driver on my left so they know I'm waiting for them (to go first), then I follow (not behind, but staying to the right of our lane) & fully expect the other following traffic to pass me. if there's room, I stay way right making it obvious for the following drivers to pass me. of course once the turn is made by most of us at the front it narrows so, going wide is done with discretion
Old 09-26-17, 01:34 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by MidSouthBiker
I "take the lane". Before getting to the intersection I am already moving over and merging into the left turn lane. I position myself along with the passenger side wheels of the autos, and it doesn't matter if I am first or in line behind autos at the intersection. I know others may disagree with that, but I will not be making a left turn at a light from all the way over in the very right side of the right hand lane.
Originally Posted by noisebeam
Originally Posted by Ninety5rpm
Same.
Yep, all these.

Intersections should be orderly, especially when all the traffic is stopped. It's like musical chairs; you don't want to be the only one without a lane when the traffic stops. Grab a lane like everyone else.

And when it's time to go, I go to the right-most lane (paying attention to any oncoming right-turning traffic. If that means I stay in the traffic lane for a bit, so it goes. If there is a shoulder/bike lane, I get over there after the turn is completed.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."

Last edited by Doohickie; 09-26-17 at 01:39 PM.
Old 09-26-17, 01:41 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Originally Posted by SylvainG
Here's what I do. I align myself with the passenger side front bumper. I extend my left arm and look at the driver. He acknowledges my presence and we make the turn when the light turn green, most of the time he'll stay behind me but sometime we move parallel. I once had a lady that backed up when I looked at her. I told her she didn't have to, that I was just mentioning to her that I was turning left like her. Never had an issue.
This seems most like what I would adopt, were I to alter my technique. I like your idea of staying at the front bumper. My sometimes positioning myself ahead of the lead car could be disconcerting to the driver to my left, I suppose.
Old 09-26-17, 01:43 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Originally Posted by Doohickie
Yep, all these.

Intersections should be orderly, especially when all the traffic is stopped. It's like musical chairs; you don't want to be the only one without a lane when the traffic stops. Grab a lane like everyone else.

And when it's time to go, I go to the right-most lane (paying attention to any oncoming right-turning traffic. If that means I stay in the traffic lane for a bit, so it goes. If there is a shoulder/bike lane, I get over there after the turn is completed.
I just hope you are not clipped in to your pedals if the driver behind you has a moment when her foot slips off the brake pedal and she has a "fender bender" with the car in front of her. I could handle dying, but I could not handle having my legs crushed and being paralyzed.
Old 09-26-17, 02:17 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by 1989Pre
I just hope you are not clipped in to your pedals if the driver behind you has a moment when her foot slips off the brake pedal and she has a "fender bender" with the car in front of her. I could handle dying, but I could not handle having my legs crushed and being paralyzed.
I'll ignore the blatant sexism there, but I highly doubt me not being clipped in at that moment is going to have much bearing on me either being or not being crushed. I can be on flats, I'm still not getting out of the way.
Old 09-26-17, 02:28 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by 1989Pre
I've been doing it for years, no problems yet. In fact, that's never happened to me in a car either.

(If you're that afraid of cars, you should probably just stick with the sidewalks or maybe the track at your local middle school.)

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 09-26-17, 02:34 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
I use a mirror and one technique I use when approaching a line of stopped vehicles is to 'bring in' the vehicle coming to a stop behind me. By that I mean that instead of going full bore and slowing fast to a stop I gradually slow and let the vehicle behind catch me and we both roll in a bit slower to the stop. This allows me to ID if driver notices me earlier while I still have time and space for evasive action (never needed so far.)

This same technique applies to approaching traffic stopped on freeway when driving a motor vehicle as well.
Old 09-26-17, 03:22 PM
WNCGoater

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by berner
I get in line same as everyone else but usually positioned so I can be seen in the side mirror of the car ahead. I usually make a wide sweeping turn so that cars behind can pass on the left.
This.

When I approach any intersection, I take my spot in the center of the lane. As I proceed or after I proceed through, depending on the intersection and circumstances, I'll move back to the right. No way am I pulling up alongside a car waiting on a light.

Can't imagine why OP is up beside the car.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.