Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Got brake-checked by a driver!

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-18, 07:35 AM
taz777

Bikes: 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts

So there I was on a sunny Sunday morning out for a ride on my fattie here in the UK. I was going along a road near to my home when I could sense there was a car behind me. There was plenty of room to pass as there were no other cars on the road. The road was slightly downhill so I was going at a reasonable speed and keeping to the left (UK road) so the car behind me could pass easily. The driver had virtually the entire width of the road to pass.

Eventually, as we were nearing the end of the road and a set of traffic lights, the driver passed me quickly, moved back to the left and slammed her brakes on!

I had to react very quickly and locked my wheels momentarily, but luckily the car kept going and didn't come to a stop.

As I got to the traffic lights I could see it was a middle-aged woman who didn't even look over at me. I didn't want my Sunday morning ruined so just let the incident pass by.

So that was a first for me, a little scary at the time!
Old 01-08-18, 07:52 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 380 Posts
Before this gets moved to A&S and goes completely off rails.
I would have let her know in no uncertain terms how wrong that was. Maybe next time shed think twice before doing it to the next cyclist.
Besides, I don't think I would've had the foresight or self control to worry about it ruining my day.
"The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
Albert Einstein

Last edited by texaspandj; 01-08-18 at 09:45 AM.
Old 01-08-18, 07:58 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Get a tag number and call the police. That's all.
Old 01-08-18, 09:05 AM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
Good job being cool and letting it pass. A lot of drivers are jerks.
Old 01-08-18, 09:22 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
I hate to say how many people in cars have given me the brake test while I'm on my bike.

It honestly makes me laugh, a bike (even a fatbike) will stop much quicker than any car and is more maneuverable. I've been know to overtake the "brake check" drivers with a smile and friendly wave. I won't let them ruin my ride/day!
Old 01-08-18, 09:34 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by taz777
I didn't want my Sunday morning ruined so just let the incident pass by.
Tis the best thing one can learn, when riding on the road.

Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
I've been know to overtake the "brake check" drivers with a smile and friendly wave. I won't let them ruin my ride/day!
If you had enough time to react and do so, that would be quite humorous to pass them in one fell swoop and make them pass you again
Old 01-08-18, 10:16 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Kudos for letting it pass. That kind of brake check is just trying to antagonize you, and you didn't give her the satisfaction.

Trying to injure you with full on maximum stop would be a different story.
Old 01-08-18, 11:47 AM
mbusky

Bikes: REI's COOP AVD1.1 touring bike

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 19 Posts
Well you are all better humans than I... I tend to come up to the rear and with the wonderful invention of hand brake levers leving my feet free stop along side while putting my foot into the soon to be broken taillight, then I apologize for getting so close due to said broken lamp. Yes I can be a bastard when someone tries to injure or fain injuring me or mine.
Old 01-08-18, 11:54 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18410 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
Maybe she was trying to avoid hitting a squirrel that darted out into the road.
Old 01-08-18, 12:06 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
If there were pedestrians nearby and you had the old Mafac brakes, you could have had some fun. I used to do this riding in Boston and Cambridge. Someone pulls a fast one on me. I hit the front brake extra hard. That famous squeal rotates every head for a block around. I point at the car. Every set of eyes follows my point. Driver hears my squeal, looks up and sees everyone looking right at him and slinks off like a scolded cat.

The new brake pads nullify the fun. Oh well.

Ben
Old 01-08-18, 12:13 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Get a tag number and call the police. That's all.
+1

I have the non-emergency police number programmed in my phone, and have used it on several occasions. It may not be worthwhile in a larger metro area, but in my smaller town, they will sometimes go out and have a chat with the driver.
Old 01-08-18, 12:23 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
a bike (even a fatbike) will stop much quicker than any car and is more maneuverable.
More maneuverable - yes, but cars can generally stop quicker than bikes if both are going the same speed. Especially if the cyclist doesn't have enough time to shift his weight down and back to keep the rear wheel from lifting.
Old 01-08-18, 12:30 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked 6,593 Times in 3,781 Posts
Thread moved from General Cycling Discussion forum to the Advocasy and Safety forum
Old 01-08-18, 12:41 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by prathmann
More maneuverable - yes, but cars can generally stop quicker than bikes if both are going the same speed. Especially if the cyclist doesn't have enough time to shift his weight down and back to keep the rear wheel from lifting.
That's not my experience. I understand that not every rider has the same reaction speed or bike handling skills. Bike-commuting on busy roads has done a lot for me, both looking out for the dumb driver maneuvers and keeping my spidey-senses keen.
Old 01-08-18, 05:29 PM
WNCGoater

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
I got the finger yesterday. Shrug...
Old 01-08-18, 05:58 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Originally Posted by wipekitty
+1

I have the non-emergency police number programmed in my phone, and have used it on several occasions. It may not be worthwhile in a larger metro area, but in my smaller town, they will sometimes go out and have a chat with the driver.
I do the same and several drivers have had those chats. (The detectives have called me back after. The drivers have told them things that happened I didn't mention.)

Ben
Old 01-08-18, 06:07 PM
IronM

Bikes: Fuji Transonic, Ridley Excalibur, Foundry Overland, Niner EMD

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
Motorists like to complain about cyclist, but it seems to me that motorist have a lot to answer for themselves. People like to think themselves as rational beings, but I’ve witness horrible, irrational behavior from motorist more times than I can count; including outright assault. But as long as I am uninjured, I’m not going to let somebody else’s problems become my own; so do my best to just let it go.
Old 01-08-18, 06:19 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by taz777
So there I was on a sunny Sunday morning out for a ride on my fattie here in the UK. I was going along a road near to my home when I could sense there was a car behind me. There was plenty of room to pass as there were no other cars on the road. The road was slightly downhill so I was going at a reasonable speed and keeping to the left (UK road) so the car behind me could pass easily. The driver had virtually the entire width of the road to pass.

Eventually, as we were nearing the end of the road and a set of traffic lights, the driver passed me quickly, moved back to the left and slammed her brakes on!

I had to react very quickly and locked my wheels momentarily, but luckily the car kept going and didn't come to a stop.

As I got to the traffic lights I could see it was a middle-aged woman who didn't even look over at me. I didn't want my Sunday morning ruined so just let the incident pass by.

So that was a first for me, a little scary at the time!
That happened to me last November. Almost identical setting: rural road, no traffic, nice Sunday morning.

Only difference is that the driver was a fat old man and before he moved into my direction and slammed the brakes he did try to run me off the road.

What is wrong with people?

I am glad that you are OK.
Old 01-09-18, 05:44 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
People are okay when on foot. Machines give them power. Some people turn into complete savages when they're in a car, because the completely power-assisted thing enables them to take every frustration of their lives and throw it about at people in a weaker position.

I often carry a child on the back of my bike, and whilst i don't use the roads, i do have to cross them - i can see the exact moment that motorists realise she's on the back. The switch is precisely that. They go from 'i'm gonna floor it to prevent letting you cross' to 'oh sorry' within two seconds. And they do that why...? Because they look down on someone if they can, until something wakes them up.

People are naturally dicks. And power feeds this. Until something makes them think.
Old 01-09-18, 07:00 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
(The detectives have called me back after. The drivers have told them things that happened I didn't mention.)
Made up things about you, or just admitting more misdoings to the police?
Old 01-09-18, 07:14 AM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyMK
People are okay when on foot. Machines give them power. Some people turn into complete savages when they're in a car, because the completely power-assisted thing enables them to take every frustration of their lives and throw it about at people in a weaker position.

I often carry a child on the back of my bike, and whilst i don't use the roads, i do have to cross them - i can see the exact moment that motorists realise she's on the back. The switch is precisely that. They go from 'i'm gonna floor it to prevent letting you cross' to 'oh sorry' within two seconds. And they do that why...? Because they look down on someone if they can, until something wakes them up.

People are naturally dicks. And power feeds this. Until something makes them think
In a way, I think you are right. "Nice" has to be taught... and some folks just don't get it.
Old 01-09-18, 10:22 AM
johnje
Average Idiot

Bikes: 88 Davidson Impulse, 90 Specialized Hard Rock, 09 Specialized Allez, 17 Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Brake-checkers and coal-rollers probably think they're being funny. I confess I don't have a good sense of humor for either.
Old 01-09-18, 07:11 PM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I've been know to overtake the "brake check" drivers with a smile and friendly wave. I won't let them ruin my ride/day!
Used to love doing that in a Subaru wagon; people feel like it just has to be going too slow, even when I was cruising along with the CC locked in at 73 in a 70 zone. They'd get around, and I'd already have it down to 4th, ready to nail the gas and pass them as soon as they brake checked. No idea what its top speed was, but I do know it would hit 115mph with some slack left in the gas pedal.
Old 01-10-18, 03:19 AM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I just pass them at the red light, they are stuck at, and get back in front of them at the light.
Old 01-10-18, 08:31 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
I'm challenged when it comes to self restraint after catching up to someone who asserted that kind of physical aggression toward me. good for you, for keeping your cool

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.