Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Garmin HRM Battery Access

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-19, 11:11 AM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts

I currently own two Garmin HRM straps that are functional but not functional because I can't get the screws off the back of the HRM strap sensor thingey (battery replacement issue). And now my third one is getting weak, but this time I was careful to rinse the thing off after most uses to minimize sweat based crap that might make the screws hard to remove. Despite owning 3 "precision screwdriver sets" (down to 1.4mm flatblade and 2mm Phillips head), out of the total of 12 screws there is not a single one that I can remove.

What exactly do folks folks use (successfully) to remove these screws.

Thanks.

dave
Old 01-02-19, 12:17 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I took it to the hardware store & ended up with Ace brand double-ended screwdriver

from the counter next to the cashier.
Old 01-02-19, 01:42 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Yep, worst design ever. I actually ended up breaking mine getting it open after stripping the screw because they were so warn. So I now wrap it electrical tape to keep it sealed up. Works fine but will not put a new battery in it again. Its 4 years old now and will just buy a new one. I contacted Garmin about this issue and they would not sell me the parts, said I had to buy the complete works.

Try a jewelry type screwdriver too if woodcrafts idea doesn't work. I wish I would have.

good luck
Old 01-02-19, 02:56 PM
Dopefish905

Bikes: Cervelo S3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I think I used either the t2 or t4 screwdriver for it
Old 01-02-19, 03:41 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
I wear my Garmin HR strap five or six days per week, all year 'round. I wash it every other week or so and hang it to dry. I find that the strap starts to delaminate about the same time the battery dies -- 18 to 24 months in. So, I just replace the strap. Life is too short to try to replace that battery!
Old 01-03-19, 03:44 PM
ddub

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
One word, Wahoo. Toss the Garmins and spend 50 on a Wahoo Tickr HR. I know this doesn't address your problem but I also struggled with the Garmin monitors, both iterations. Expensive chest straps that don't last or don't connect well. My Wahoo has a long battery life, it connects easily and even indicates that it's working. Battery changes are simple. Oh and new chest straps are cheap.
Old 01-03-19, 05:00 PM
on the path
Señor Blues

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 10, Breezer Venturi Custom Build, IRO Singlespeed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ddub
One word, Wahoo. Toss the Garmins and spend 50 on a Wahoo Tickr HR. I know this doesn't address your problem but I also struggled with the Garmin monitors, both iterations. Expensive chest straps that don't last or don't connect well. My Wahoo has a long battery life, it connects easily and even indicates that it's working. Battery changes are simple. Oh and new chest straps are cheap.
Do you mean new Wahoo chest straps or new "other brand" straps are cheap? I'll be looking again very soon.

I successfully changed out the battery in my Garmin a couple of times but I have a feeling I won't be quite so lucky next time. Those little screws are pretty corroded and my tool just doesn't want to grab them well.
Old 01-03-19, 05:45 PM
ddub

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I bought other brand straps from an Ebay seller. About 8 dollars or so. Purchased two thinking the original would last similar to the garmin but it's still going and I haven't used the other brand straps yet so I can't comment on longevity but the quality looks about the same.
Old 01-04-19, 08:20 PM
on the path
Señor Blues

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveLeeNC
I currently own two Garmin HRM straps that are functional but not functional because I can't get the screws off the back of the HRM strap sensor thingey (battery replacement issue). And now my third one is getting weak, but this time I was careful to rinse the thing off after most uses to minimize sweat based crap that might make the screws hard to remove. Despite owning 3 "precision screwdriver sets" (down to 1.4mm flatblade and 2mm Phillips head), out of the total of 12 screws there is not a single one that I can remove.

What exactly do folks folks use (successfully) to remove these screws.

Thanks.

dave
OK, here's the ticket. This cost me 5 bucks at ACE hardware. Probably could have gotten it cheaper but I got to test it in the store. It is the correct size, works. Nice tool.

Old 01-04-19, 09:35 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
A 2mm Phillips worked perfectly for me.
Old 01-04-19, 10:11 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
I use a driver out of a jewelers set. Not sure which size it is. No problems removing the screws.
Old 01-04-19, 11:14 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Another using a jeweler's screwdriver, the kind with a swiveling top that I can really push down on.while turning it. It is hard to do it perfectly so that it stays watertight, though I usually succeed.
Old 01-05-19, 07:10 AM
on the path
Señor Blues

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
[QUOTE=Carbonfiberboy;20733135]Another using a jeweler's screwdriver, the kind with a swiveling top that I can really push down on.while turning it. It is hard to do it perfectly so that it stays watertight, though I usually succeed.[/QUOTE]

The one I pictured has the concave swivelling top and the grip is very easy to manage. I tried it on my older Garmin sensor and readily loosened each of the 4 semi-corroded screws. Though I'll probably use this tool one or twice a year, I'm very glad I now have it.
Old 01-05-19, 08:20 AM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts
It looks like a trip to Ace Hardware (maybe online) is in order here.

FWIW, I have two 2mm Phillips screwdrivers and neither one will do the job (for at least two of the HRM's). To be honest I cannot be positive that I tried all eight screws

dave
Old 01-05-19, 08:49 AM
on the path
Señor Blues

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveLeeNC
It looks like a trip to Ace Hardware (maybe online) is in order here.

FWIW, I have two 2mm Phillips screwdrivers and neither one will do the job (for at least two of the HRM's). To be honest I cannot be positive that I tried all eight screws

dave
I already had a set of small precision screwdrivers. None of them fit the Garmin screws.
Old 01-06-19, 12:51 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
As others have pointed out, a set of precision screwdrivers is essential for the job. Also good eyesight and steady hands (these screws are sure tiny, try not to lose them).

When you replace the battery first install it upside down and hold it in place for 10 - 15 seconds. After that reinstall the battery correctly and re-attach the cover. I am not sure why this works, but the procedure was listed on the Garmin Forums and it worked for me.

I bought this set of screwdrivers from Amazon and they work fine.

Old 01-07-19, 07:56 AM
rower2cyclist

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 35 Posts
Million times THIS. I have both. Replacing Garmin battery is PITA. All you need when you change Wahoo battery is a dime.

I wanted to buy those tiny Garmin screws online but they don't even sell them LOL. Now my Garmin HRM connects to 810 but not to my trainer as it used to. Found online that the remedy is put the battery opposite way to reset the HRM unit. LOL what a POS.
Old 01-07-19, 08:26 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Well, if we're comparing one-off anecdotes, my Garmin soft strap HRM recorded 700 hours of rides in 2018 and never dropped out once. Replacing the screws took 2 minutes using the proper screwdriver. Seeing that Garmin claims a battery life of around 1,500 hours, I don't see this as an issue for most anyway. I bought the Garmin because of battery issues with previous HRMs-- as the Wahoo is ANT+/BT and has LEDs, there's simply no way the battery will ever last as long as the Garmin.

Will I buy a Wahoo when the Garmin finally gives up? Who knows. Maybe. I know I don't like how the TICKR strap attaches.
Old 01-07-19, 09:10 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
As others have pointed out, a set of precision screwdrivers is essential for the job. Also good eyesight and steady hands (these screws are sure tiny, try not to lose them).

When you replace the battery first install it upside down and hold it in place for 10 - 15 seconds. After that reinstall the battery correctly and re-attach the cover. I am not sure why this works, but the procedure was listed on the Garmin Forums and it worked for me.

I bought this set of screwdrivers from Amazon and they work fine.

I no longer have a Garmin HRM, but this ^^^ was what I suspected the problem was - JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) screws/screwdrivers look very much like Philips, but they're not the same. A Philips driver will often pop out of JIS screws, which are more common than you'd think. I actually need to pick up a set of JIS screwdrivers to do a little camera lens surgery.
Old 01-07-19, 09:49 AM
mvnsnd

Bikes: Factor O2, Caad10, Caad2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Well, if we're comparing one-off anecdotes, my Garmin soft strap HRM recorded 700 hours of rides in 2018 and never dropped out once. Replacing the screws took 2 minutes using the proper screwdriver. Seeing that Garmin claims a battery life of around 1,500 hours, I don't see this as an issue for most anyway. I bought the Garmin because of battery issues with previous HRMs-- as the Wahoo is ANT+/BT and has LEDs, there's simply no way the battery will ever last as long as the Garmin.

Will I buy a Wahoo when the Garmin finally gives up? Who knows. Maybe. I know I don't like how the TICKR strap attaches.
I recently got a Wahoo TICKR when my Garmin HR unit suddenly died. I also do not like that the Wahoo strap need the HR unit in place to be warn. That's one point where Garmin has an advantage, so my solution was to 3D print a "dummy" sensor to use to hold the strap on until I actually need the sensor in place. It actually works well to hold the strap together until I need the sensor.

Originally Posted by WhyFi
I no longer have a Garmin HRM, but this ^^^ was what I suspected the problem was - JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) screws/screwdrivers look very much like Philips, but they're not the same. A Philips driver will often pop out of JIS screws, which are more common than you'd think. I actually need to pick up a set of JIS screwdrivers to do a little camera lens surgery.
Even still, with the Garmin sensor cover, the plastic under the screws is very thin and can break along the outer edge rendering the cover useless. That's happened on one of my older ones. I complained about it when seeking warranty for the one that died, but who knows if they will update that cover.
Old 01-08-19, 01:24 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
I did the same thing, except used a unit from the Trek Store.