Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

My New (to me) Bianchi!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-19, 08:18 PM
eldupes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My New (to me) Bianchi!

Just picked up this beautifully kept Bianchi, but having the hardest time trying to identify it's era...
I'm assuming 80's, but I've gotten a lot of conflicting information.

Hoping this forum and it's wealth of knowledge can steer me in the right direction!

(Sorry if those photo files are massive- first time posting photos and don't know how to resize)
Likes For eldupes:
Old 08-26-19, 02:00 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
Around ‘83. I think it might be a Special

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 08-27-19, 09:21 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
The subject frame was manufactured in January 1982 by Bianchi's Japanese contractor. There's no doubt about that. While it's similar to the 1982 USA version of the Special, it's not an exact match, as it it has painted stays and BL derailleurs. The derailleurs could be an owner upgrade, as it does not have BL shift levers. The stay finish could be post catalogue change or represent a foreign market model.
Old 08-28-19, 10:32 PM
eldupes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by T-Mar
The subject frame was manufactured in January 1982 by Bianchi's Japanese contractor. There's no doubt about that. While it's similar to the 1982 USA version of the Special, it's not an exact match, as it it has painted stays and BL derailleurs. The derailleurs could be an owner upgrade, as it does not have BL shift levers. The stay finish could be post catalogue change or represent a foreign market model.
Could the difference in stays and derailleurs have anything to do with it being a Canadian sold bicycle, perhaps?

And what sort of value would you expect it to have?
Old 08-29-19, 04:49 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by eldupes
Could the difference in stays and derailleurs have anything to do with it being a Canadian sold bicycle, perhaps?

And what sort of value would you expect it to have?
The Canadian and USA market bicycles were different during this period, sometimes even extending to model names. The different level of finish is almost certainly due to it being a non-USA market model. However, I'm not as convinced about the derailleurs, as the shift levers do not match.

Regarding value, it will be highly dependent on the tubeset and your location. Given the components, the frame could be hi-tensile steel or a carbon-manganese alloy. Usually, there is a tubing decal if it is better than hi-tensile steel. I'm not seeing one, so we'd need the diamter of the seat post to get an appreciation of the tubing grade. Location is also a big factor. Metropolitan areas like Toronto fetch far higher prices than backwaters like Dog River.
Old 09-10-19, 06:34 PM
eldupes

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi again!

I finally got a chance to measure the seat post, and it is somewhere between 26-26.5mm
Does that help to distinguish it at all?
The lack of decal is really getting in the way of identifying this beauty!