Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Zwift - general thread - comments, questions, tips and achievements.

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Zwift - general thread - comments, questions, tips and achievements.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-18, 10:32 AM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by ill.clyde
Pretty sure it's at least 5km, regardless of route, which is 3.2 miles.

See the last comment at the bottom here: https://support.zwift.com/hc/en-us/c...Partial-Rides-

I think I have 2 mile rides that linked to Strava (they are my warm up before spin down rides). On my feed I have a 2.1 mile ride that linked to Strava. I am going to set myself goal to get the 14 day badge. I need that sort of carrot at times to get me to not be lazy.
Old 01-26-18, 10:33 AM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

I also have a 1.4 mile ride that linked to Strava as I aborted the ride because my HR on my Apple Watch wasn't working and it bothered me.
Old 01-26-18, 10:49 AM
ill.clyde

Bikes: 2009 Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Good to know
Old 01-26-18, 01:03 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

I don’t think those really short rides count in achieving the days in a row badges. That’s where the longer rides may come into play. Guessing if you do the flat Watopia lap that would be enough. Think that is 7 miles or so.
Old 01-26-18, 01:33 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by ill.clyde
Pretty sure it's at least 5km, regardless of route, which is 3.2 miles.

See the last comment at the bottom here: https://support.zwift.com/hc/en-us/c...Partial-Rides-

good find....
Old 01-26-18, 03:51 PM
Turzy

Bikes: Kona Lana'i, Cannondale CAADX Disk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
so, I'm going for the 7 days achievement...5 more days to go
did another 26 km today
Old 01-26-18, 05:45 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by Turzy
so, I'm going for the 7 days achievement...5 more days to go
did another 26 km today

keep at it, you will knock it out. then you will feel like you have to get the 14 day too!
Old 01-27-18, 03:31 AM
youcoming

Bikes: ParleeZ5/Parlee Chebacco/Trek Farley/Cannondale Slice/Burley Tandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
I love Zwift but do not do big rides on it, I prefer the structured training. I'll save the big rides for outside but I've been working hard on the FTP booster training and since December have went from 229 to 259. I hit over 1300 watts, that was cool.
Old 01-27-18, 07:46 AM
rickyk76

Bikes: Cannondale Slate; Crust Evasion

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay, so I just abandoned my second Zwift ride after about 25 minutes. I can’t seem to get it dialed in. I had trouble calibrating in Zwift so had to spin down in Rouvy. First ride was just an easy Watopia Just Ride. Tried to do a short FTP test and had trouble even cranking at a certain point. Had to stop after about 10 min. Went back to Just Ride which then my knee started hurting. My bike fits and I don’t have knee trouble on the road.

So, how do I dial this in?
What should I start with concerning rides and programs? I’d like to increase my overall power and speed, but I’m looking at just getting miles in the seat for my upcoming MS150 Ride.
What should I be focusing on as a new Zwift rider?
Old 01-27-18, 08:36 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by rickyk76
Okay, so I just abandoned my second Zwift ride after about 25 minutes. I can’t seem to get it dialed in. I had trouble calibrating in Zwift so had to spin down in Rouvy. First ride was just an easy Watopia Just Ride. Tried to do a short FTP test and had trouble even cranking at a certain point. Had to stop after about 10 min. Went back to Just Ride which then my knee started hurting. My bike fits and I don’t have knee trouble on the road.

What should I start with concerning rides and programs? I’d like to increase my overall power and speed, but I’m looking at just getting miles in the seat for my upcoming MS150 Ride.

I wish i had words of wisdom for you except check your fit again sounds to me like fit might be off. Also make sure you get out of the saddle when riding. It can make a difference. Sorry you’re having difficulties too.
Old 01-27-18, 11:19 AM
ericy
Señor Member

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Trek DS 8.3

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts
Is this the same bike you use out on the road, with same pedals and same shoes?

Edit: I haven't tried the FTP test myself - more focused on building strength and endurance right now. But I could stand to work on FTP as well - but I can't quite motivate myself to do the FTP test.

Last edited by ericy; 01-27-18 at 11:33 AM.
Old 01-27-18, 12:25 PM
rickyk76

Bikes: Cannondale Slate; Crust Evasion

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ericy
Same everything. Which is why I’m wondering why I’m feeling pain on the trainer when I don’t on the road. Maybe since I’m able to take pedaling breaks or the side-to-side rocking motion that goes with outdoor riding is not having as much strain on my knees.
Old 01-27-18, 12:27 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Originally Posted by ericy

Edit: I haven't tried the FTP test myself - more focused on building strength and endurance right now. But I could stand to work on FTP as well - but I can't quite motivate myself to do the FTP test.
FTP test seems pointless to a non racer. I was thinking about doing it as well but figured what would it really do for me in the end besides give me a number that isn’t probably accurate without an actual power meter? Or am I way off on this. I am probably more afraid to actually know how bad the number is. Lol
Old 01-27-18, 01:43 PM
ericy
Señor Member

Same everything. Which is why I’m wondering why I’m feeling pain on the trainer when I don’t on the road. Maybe since I’m able to take pedaling breaks or the side-to-side rocking motion that goes with outdoor riding is not having as much strain on my knees.
The side-to-side is a possibility. Some people use rocker plates to help with that. You may get out of the saddle more often when you are outdoors as well.

Are you going a lot harder in Zwift than outdoors? I know when I first started I tended to. When I ride outdoors, there are opportunities to coast for a bit which don't come up often in Zwift.
Old 01-27-18, 01:48 PM
ericy
Señor Member

Originally Posted by sdmc530
FTP test seems pointless to a non racer. I was thinking about doing it as well but figured what would it really do for me in the end besides give me a number that isn’t probably accurate without an actual power meter? Or am I way off on this. I am probably more afraid to actually know how bad the number is. Lol
My trainer (Kickr) does have a power meter, so it isn't hard to see what I am putting out. A lot of trainers do seem to have a power meter, in fact. If you were using Z-power, then it would seem especially pointless.

Strava will make a guesstimate of the ftp for me under Training->Power Curve, and the number it comes up with seems kind of reasonable.
Old 01-27-18, 02:24 PM
Turzy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
just completed my daily ride...got the 40 km achievement and the 10 laps achievement.
also completed my weekly distance goal of 100 km
Tomorrow will be a recovery ride.

I'm sorry I'm no help regarding the kickr, I'm still on a dumb trainer and using z-power lol
Old 01-27-18, 03:07 PM
Turzy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Have you looked up Shane Miller on youtube? I believe he has a video on how to calibrate a smart trainer in game and you might want to check another one of his videos about gear selection in erg mode.
Old 01-27-18, 03:24 PM
camcrobe

Bikes: Specialized Secteur Double, 1997 Jamis Quest rebuilt CoMo

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I started (day after Christmas) I too attempted a FTP test. Had to bail out about 5 minutes in. Thought I was going to die.

An accurate FTP number is important if you plan to do any structured Zwift workouts. In Zwift (or other training app) the FTP is what’s used to set your zones.

FTP should have no effect on resistance if you choose just ride.

You can manually set your FTP in Zwift. I set mine quite low at first (170) and have upped it a couple of times since (now at 220) to make the workouts more challenging. Apparently Zwift will make the change itself if it detects a significant increase in sustained power (like if you race or crush the mountain KOM).

I’ve done a couple of solo workouts and a group one which was quite fun. In a workout you can raise or lower your FTP number on the fly (up or down arrows in the Zwift mobile link app).

FWIW- big milestone for me. Took 42 miles doing laps on the volcano circuit this morning , finally reached level 10. Looking forward to the jungle route on my new Zipp 808s

Last edited by camcrobe; 01-27-18 at 03:39 PM.
Old 01-27-18, 03:53 PM
ericy
Señor Member

Originally Posted by camcrobe
An accurate FTP number is important if you plan to do any structured Zwift workouts. In Zwift (or other training app) the FTP is what’s used to set your zones.
Most of the workout programs assume that you can ride about an hour 5 times a week. The FTP number that Strava estimates for me is pretty pitiful, so increasing it could be good, but before I start I need to increase my time/distance/endurance, and then work on my schedule so that I can fit in this much time.

I suppose just riding around helps a good bit - I notice Strava giving me small FTP bumps now and then, but it doesn't really know what I am holding back on any given ride. And even though it is unstructured, I do push myself from time to time. There is the old saying that to get better at climbing hills, you should do more climbing.
Old 01-28-18, 08:00 PM
Turzy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just noticed something wrong with zwift, well, it's not a big deal, but I'm curious... I had set up a weekly goal of 100 km and time goal of 5 hours.
Yesterday, I completed my weekly distance goal, and after the ride, I was half an hour away from reaching the 5 hour goal...today, after my ride, I'm at 86 km and 3.7 hours ridden.
Has it ever happened to anyone before?
Old 01-29-18, 08:59 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

I just noticed something wrong with zwift, well, it's not a big deal, but I'm curious... I had set up a weekly goal of 100 km and time goal of 5 hours.
Yesterday, I completed my weekly distance goal, and after the ride, I was half an hour away from reaching the 5 hour goal...today, after my ride, I'm at 86 km and 3.7 hours ridden.
Huh? Nope never had this issue. Been zwifting for 4 month now hard and I am pleased to say I have very few issues with the program.
Old 01-29-18, 01:49 PM
Turzy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sdmc530
Huh? Nope never had this issue. Been zwifting for 4 month now hard and I am pleased to say I have very few issues with the program.
It was the first time I noticed it, but I was thinking maybe it had to do with logging on zwift from a different computer? anyway, it doesn't really matter since I use strava/veloviewer to track my mileage
Old 01-29-18, 03:22 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

It was the first time I noticed it, but I was thinking maybe it had to do with logging on zwift from a different computer? anyway, it doesn't really matter since I use strava/veloviewer to track my mileage

I too don't use the miles on zwift for my yearly totals. I let my Garmin do that count being the miles are not equal from zwift to my garmin. I have more miles on zwift per ride sometimes. I think my Garmin miles are more accurate being I am using a speed/cadence sensor off my head unit.
Old 01-29-18, 05:48 PM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Was this in ZIFT it was OFF or on something like Strava or Garmin Connect?

Now that I have Direct drive trainer...I am not using my Garmin on the trainer. Previously I could because I had wheel on and had speed sensor to "talk" to the Garmin.
Old 01-29-18, 07:29 PM
Turzy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Beachgrad05
Was this in ZIFT it was OFF or on something like Strava or Garmin Connect?

Now that I have Direct drive trainer...I am not using my Garmin on the trainer. Previously I could because I had wheel on and had speed sensor to "talk" to the Garmin.
It was in Zwift. I have the program installed on 2 different computers. I used to run it on my laptop, but now I use it on my desktop.
I completed my weekly distance (100 km) on saturday, at home (desktop)
I logged on from a different computer (laptop) on sunday, from work, to check...I don't even remember what I wanted to check at the time, and that's when I noticed my weekly distance had rolled back (don't remember how much)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.