Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why support your LBS?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why support your LBS?

Old 04-25-19, 03:21 AM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Why support your LBS?

OK, so I know that's a bold thread title, but I genuinely want to know. I'm struggling with it. In general, my belief system is to support local business, try to live as environmentally friendly as current society reasonably allows(avoiding plastic, etc), be nice to others, etc. But more and more I'm finding it difficult to support LBS. Their prices seem to keep going up, and generally speaking, the service kind of seems to be going down. I recently had a stuck BB removed and it took three shops to find one with the tool to remove a 1990s BB. The charged me $20 for 10 minutes of work. I usually do my own work anyway. In that case, it would have been half the price to buy and own the tool, and do it myself(I would have if I had known it would be $20 to pull a BB). I go into shops and get "well, that's not from the Newest line of stuff, so we'll have to order it. We'll have it in a week. It'll cost $50." or I can order it online and have it to my door in four days for $30. Is this just a fluke of bad luck with where I live? Or is this just how things are going these days? Should I consider spending my money "foolishly" to try to support local people rather than big companies, because the local people honestly Can't come close to those prices? I've never worked at a shop, so I don't know if a $50 msrp means they pay $45 and charge $50 to pay their employees, or if they get it for $10 and charge $50 because that's msrp. Obviously I'm exaggerating for the sake of explanation, but hopefully it gets my point across. REI will charge $150msrp for something that I can easily find online for $100. They order in huge bulk, so I know they aren't paying nearly that. They're charging what the market will pay. Are LBS doing that, so I shouldn't feel bad, or should I be trying to support them even though it doesn't "make sense" for me financially? Are LBS just local business trying to get by, or are they priced much higher for the convenience of people who know nothing about bikes, and I shouldn't feel bad if I don't support them since I work on my bikes?
Old 04-25-19, 04:48 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,295 Times in 7,229 Posts
Subscribed.

Recently, two LBS worked together to retrieve my ex-GF's bike after she was severely injured in a crash caused by a dog. She first tried to get in touch with Bezos, but he didn't return the calls.

Last edited by indyfabz; 04-25-19 at 04:54 AM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 04-25-19, 05:25 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,873 Times in 4,637 Posts
I’m not sure that it is an either/or proposition. For some parts and tasks, a bike shop is fine, and even preferable. For other items I do go online and place an order.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-25-19, 05:45 AM
ChinookTx

Bikes: Lynskey GR270

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
She first tried to get in touch with Bezos, but he didn't return the calls.
Since when is Bezos expected to be in the bike recovery business (or bike servicing for that matter)? I get your point, there are things that the big A can't do for you. I have no problem paying for someone to work on my bike when it's a job that's a bit more involved, but when Bezos can get me something on my doorstep the next day, for cheaper than the LBS, it's not a hard decision to make. If my LBS had some decent inventory and didn't make me wait a week or 2 for parts that I can order myself, I'd buy them there in a pinch. I'm not talking about old/exotic parts, here. Sometimes it's hard to get even the current line of Shimano parts.

Speaking of paying someone to work on your bike, we have a service here that is basically a "bike shop in a truck". The guy pulls up with his fully stocked van, and will do repairs, tune-ups, installation on the spot. Pretty decent pricing too, and his parts inventory is surprisingly complete (again, aside from the exotic stuff).
Old 04-25-19, 06:09 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 1,415 Posts
Originally Posted by ChinookTx
Speaking of paying someone to work on your bike, we have a service here that is basically a "bike shop in a truck". The guy pulls up with his fully stocked van, and will do repairs, tune-ups, installation on the spot. Pretty decent pricing too, and his parts inventory is surprisingly complete (again, aside from the exotic stuff).
Yep. And I guarantee each of them would have charged considerably more than $20 to remove the OP’s stuck bottom bracket. I’m guessing most mobile bike mechanics charge more than $20 to just show up.

A $20 bill to remove a stuck bottom bracket seems pretty reasonable to me. I’ve come to realize that my LBS aren’t going to have everything I need in stock. If they do, I’ll make the short drive to get it. If not I’ll order it myself.

-Matt
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 04-25-19, 06:12 AM
ChinookTx

Bikes: Lynskey GR270

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat
Yep. And I guarantee each of them would have charged considerably more than $20 to remove the OP’s stuck bottom bracket. I’m guessing most mobile bike mechanics charge more than $20 to just show up.
Yes, this is true. I use them for the more involved stuff, or when I have 3 or 4 bikes to tune and I'm too lazy to do the work.

Originally Posted by MattTheHat
I’ve come to realize that my LBS aren’t going to have everything I need in stock. If they do, I’ll make the short drive to get it. If not I’ll order it myself.
Amen to that!
Old 04-25-19, 06:29 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
They have what I want and I can walk out the door with it right then. They generally have a drawer of take-off stems I can rummage through to find something that fits for $10-15. A couple have been in business for a while, and might have a random bit or bob that I need for an old bike in a coffee can somewhere in the basement. Also I hate clothes shopping online.

That is about it. They are a service provider to me, nothing more, nothing less. I will gladly use them if they can provide what I need for a price I am willing to pay, just like any other business out there.
Likes For jefnvk:
Old 04-25-19, 07:43 AM
MEversbergII

Bikes: Current: Origami Crane 8, Trek 1200 Former: 2012 Schwinn Trailway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
I only go to mine if I need something done I don't want to / can't do myself. Other than services I think the only things I really ever bought there were brake pads. My wife got her Fuji Crosstown from there some years back, though.

M.
Old 04-25-19, 08:01 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I try to support my LBS when financially sound. Something's I just can't afford to purchase there but majority of smaller items and wear parts they are close enough to online so I support the best I can.

I rarely use the repair side of my LBS, only if I can't fix it or don't have a specific tool that isn't practical for me to purchase. Usually when I visit my LBS I get a cookie and a cup of coffee at the same time and a friendly chat if I buy something or not. They are excellent at CS, but then again I do buy all my bikes at the same store.

Anyways $20 isn't unreasonable to me. I think that is fair, a shop employee gets paid a wage and all the expenses of owning a business are pretty steep so I think that is fair.

What happens when all the LBS do close and only the "box" stores are left? Then I think things would really get wonky.
Old 04-25-19, 08:01 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,391 Times in 4,148 Posts
One of the two i frequent in the metro sponsors the youth mentorship program I help lead. They provide new hybrid bikes, helmets, lights, wedge bag, bottle cages, and computer for the new riders. And they do a yearly tune up for the return kids' bikes.
It's an immense dedication to the program and local community. And they get customers for life as most of the return kids who stick with the program forna few years buy road bikes from that store.

The other local shop is just really knowledgeable and has a good shop personality.

I wish I used both more, but I work on all my bikes and my family's bikes.
I will go to a local shop to special order a tool, buy a wedge bag, or get a helmet. Stuff like that. Oh- bought a topeak morph pump last week because i needed another one and wanted it right then. Cost $12 more than online, butni had it immediately.

I don't have an interest in buying bikes or service from the shops, but I recognize I am in the minority there.
Old 04-25-19, 08:22 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I wouldn't begrudge the $20 for labor. It's a question of "can you do it, or you don't want to do it, and they can." It was 6 or 8 years ago, I brought a bike to a local shop, one of the best service shops in the area, asking them to grease the BB, replace if needed. They couldn't get the stuck BB cap off, didn't want to risk forcing it, and wanted to charge me $15. I had no problem with that, even though they couldn't really do what I wanted, except that the charge was too LOW for the time spent on it.

I did it myself later, but I certainly don't hold it against the shop. I wouldn't have known to brute-force it out if I hadn't known that it wasn't possible with normal efforts, so I had value from it regardless. I haven't asked for shop service since, but it's not about profit margins and labor charges, nor about supporting local business. Can they do something I don't want to, do they have something I need? Those are the main questions.
Old 04-25-19, 08:38 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Support is something I do for my children, not other people's businesses.

A business has to earn my money every time I call or walk in the front door.

-Tim-
Likes For TimothyH:
Old 04-25-19, 08:46 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4196 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,780 Posts
Originally Posted by MEversbergII
I only go to mine if I need something done I don't want to / can't do myself. Other than services I think the only things I really ever bought there were brake pads.
I'm glad they're there when there's something I can't (or just don't want to) do, but often getting to them is a pain. I prefer older shops because they're more likely to have parts that work with my bikes (exclusively C&V except the kids' rides). I don't expect shops to have all the parts from every single bike ever made, but consumables are nice when I'm in a hurry, which I almost never am. My wife got me a gift card to one local shop a couple of years back that I still haven't used (knee injury and growing kids has decreased the amount of time I spend in the saddle, so I'm not consuming much these days). I may see if I can use it to have them lace up some new wheels, since I dislike the final tensioning/truing steps, but at least I know I can trust my own build when it's done, so I don't know....
Old 04-25-19, 08:48 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speed
OK, so I know that's a bold thread title, but I genuinely want to know. I'm struggling with it. In general, my belief system is to support local business, try to live as environmentally friendly as current society reasonably allows(avoiding plastic, etc), be nice to others, etc. But more and more I'm finding it difficult to support LBS. Their prices seem to keep going up, and generally speaking, the service kind of seems to be going down. I recently had a stuck BB removed and it took three shops to find one with the tool to remove a 1990s BB. The charged me $20 for 10 minutes of work. I usually do my own work anyway. In that case, it would have been half the price to buy and own the tool, and do it myself(I would have if I had known it would be $20 to pull a BB). I go into shops and get "well, that's not from the Newest line of stuff, so we'll have to order it. We'll have it in a week. It'll cost $50." or I can order it online and have it to my door in four days for $30. Is this just a fluke of bad luck with where I live? Or is this just how things are going these days? Should I consider spending my money "foolishly" to try to support local people rather than big companies, because the local people honestly Can't come close to those prices? I've never worked at a shop, so I don't know if a $50 msrp means they pay $45 and charge $50 to pay their employees, or if they get it for $10 and charge $50 because that's msrp. Obviously I'm exaggerating for the sake of explanation, but hopefully it gets my point across. REI will charge $150msrp for something that I can easily find online for $100. They order in huge bulk, so I know they aren't paying nearly that. They're charging what the market will pay. Are LBS doing that, so I shouldn't feel bad, or should I be trying to support them even though it doesn't "make sense" for me financially? Are LBS just local business trying to get by, or are they priced much higher for the convenience of people who know nothing about bikes, and I shouldn't feel bad if I don't support them since I work on my bikes?
I decided long ago that I can't do business on the basis of guilt because there's no way to "support" someone without "not supporting" someone else. There's two good bike stores in my city, and they're both good at different things, and both are non-competitive on prices with online part and accessory purchases. I go to each of them for those things they are good at or for my convenience, and I don't buy parts or accessories from either unless the need is urgent and they have it in stock. Even if I felt obligated to go local at a financial cost to myself, I would only be "supporting" one of the two stores, so would I be guilty of "not supporting" the other one?

Question really isn't whether you should take your business to a LBS that isn't reasonably meeting your needs, it's pretty obvious you have no obligation to do so. I always buy my tires online, for example. Buying from a store just means paying a premium to do so at a randomly selected store, and I'm under no obligation to do so, and can't support both stores with that purchase.

That said, I hate servicing my bikes, and that's primarily what I use the LBS for. I have, in the past, also bought a bike from both of them, but that's because they had what I wanted at a reasonable price.
Old 04-25-19, 09:05 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Support is something I do for my children, not other people's businesses.

A business has to earn my money every time I call or walk in the front door.
This.

This all day long.

You run a business, not a charity.

I understand that a LBS has to charge more than REI. REI buys in much larger volume from the supplier and gets a better price, and can do a smaller profit margin that is made up with volume. The LBS pays more for the parts wholesale, and has to make a higher profit margin because they don't have as many sales.

So I get it. The LBS has to be more expensive than the large retailer. It's not their fault.

But they have to provide a value add to make it worth my money to go to the LBS.

I needed a chain a few months ago. I wanted a Sram chain that comes in 3 or 4 different grades. REI had the mid grade one for $11. The LBS has the low grade one for $25.

I like the LBS, but no. I'm not giving them a 250% mark up and getting the lower quality part just because they are working hard. I also worked hard to earn that $25. I'm not just going to give away $14 of it.

If they want me to pay a mark up, add something of value like do a full drive chain cleaning and install the chain for me.

I personally wouldn't pay $14 for a cleaning and lube because it's easy and I kinda like doing it. But you get my drift. If you want me to pay more than REI will charge me for the part, give me more than REI gives me for $11.

Last edited by Skipjacks; 04-25-19 at 09:10 AM.
Likes For Skipjacks:
Old 04-25-19, 09:06 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2577 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
If you think a bike shop is too expensive, don't support it. But if that's the case, don't whine when something goes wrong that you don't know how to fix, or can't figure out how to fix, and have to mail order a new bike because the last local bike shop went out of business.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 04-25-19, 09:42 AM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
This one's quickly turning into another "I want my LBS to be all things to all people at online prices" thread. Sorry guys, I just don't have the energy for another one of these. Y'all go ahead without me.

-Kedosto
Likes For Kedosto:
Old 04-25-19, 10:49 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
Because they have become, and so now are, my friends..
Likes For fietsbob:
Old 04-25-19, 10:56 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1726 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 705 Posts
Did not all this just get discussed in a 6+ page thread?

Ask yourself this about your job. Why use your accounting firm when I can go online and get the same services much cheaper? Why should I spend 40% more to visit your company to get a widget made when it can be done online through a Chinese company at a fraction of the cost? Why should I hire your kid to process paperwork when I can get the same thing done by a younger, more willing person at a much lower cost?

What value does anyone bring to the table that cannot be duplicated at a lower cost elsewhere?

Why tip a waiter/waitress when they are already making 15 bucks an hour minimum wage? Seriously, we just went through all this with no discernible outcome.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 04-25-19, 11:02 AM
MEversbergII

Bikes: Current: Origami Crane 8, Trek 1200 Former: 2012 Schwinn Trailway

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I decided long ago that I can't do business on the basis of guilt because there's no way to "support" someone without "not supporting" someone else. There's two good bike stores in my city, and they're both good at different things, and both are non-competitive on prices with online part and accessory purchases. I go to each of them for those things they are good at or for my convenience, and I don't buy parts or accessories from either unless the need is urgent and they have it in stock. Even if I felt obligated to go local at a financial cost to myself, I would only be "supporting" one of the two stores, so would I be guilty of "not supporting" the other one?

Question really isn't whether you should take your business to a LBS that isn't reasonably meeting your needs, it's pretty obvious you have no obligation to do so. I always buy my tires online, for example. Buying from a store just means paying a premium to do so at a randomly selected store, and I'm under no obligation to do so, and can't support both stores with that purchase.

That said, I hate servicing my bikes, and that's primarily what I use the LBS for. I have, in the past, also bought a bike from both of them, but that's because they had what I wanted at a reasonable price.
There's only one at all in my entire county. Fortunately for me, it's down the road like 5 minutes. The next closest one is in another county, though probably only 20 minutes away. One of my coworkers prefers them, but I haven't tried them out yet.

M.
Old 04-25-19, 11:21 AM
bugs11

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
For one off stuff like a stuck BB or removing the freewheel from the rear hub of 1978 Motobecane Super Mirage I hit up the local bike co-op. They rent fully stocked work benches for $5 an hour and they sell used parts for cheap. I only visit a LBS when I need something now and I can't wait or it doesn't make sense to order online. E.g., I needed to replace the bar tape on a bike this Spring, the LBS had a 20% off sale, so it made sense to swing by and grab some Bontrager tape. It cost me less than ordering online.
Old 04-25-19, 12:01 PM
krecik

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 54 Posts
​​​​​​​

Last edited by krecik; 01-13-21 at 01:43 PM.
Old 04-25-19, 12:13 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
If you think a bike shop is too expensive, don't support it. But if that's the case, don't whine when something goes wrong that you don't know how to fix, or can't figure out how to fix, and have to mail order a new bike because the last local bike shop went out of business.
This.
Never ceases to amaze me that some adults cannot grasp the concept of local business in general. The interweb is not a new thing anymore.
If you are unable to weigh the pros and cons between the two there is nothing strangers on the interwebs can do for you imo
Old 04-25-19, 12:16 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
In terms of "why" I've been lucky that when I needed some little odd or end, there's been about a 65% chance that they have it, and walking three blocks is worth it to check. The prices on those things haven't necessarily been higher than online, in some cases lower.

But I get that's not a viable business... they're there to sell bikes and service and accessories, not be the cycling equivalent of a neighborhood hardware store.
Old 04-25-19, 12:36 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I go to bikeshops whenever I am in the mood to be profiled and sold a hybrid or beach cruiser.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.