Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Trek July Challenge on Stravia

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Trek July Challenge on Stravia

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-19, 09:47 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Took today off, ending the month with 1,003 miles. The dumb part is I did it in 22 rides, and five of those were under 30 miles. Made up for it with 140 last Wednesday, which I don't think I've still 100% recovered from-- I spent 3 hours between 105-115º. Do not recommend.
Old 08-01-19, 07:58 AM
monstorr

Bikes: Trek Crockett 7 and a bunch of projects =)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Holy crap nice everyone! I barely made it at 102.9. Would have been a lot easier if I didn't wait until the last weekend on July, haha
Old 08-01-19, 10:13 AM
aliensporebomb

Bikes: Too many to list comfortably

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
I didn't realize this was a thing so didn't join up until just over a week ago. Managed 113 miles and not long after hit my 500th mile for the season. I'm way behind IMO but I've been out of it for a while so I have to ramp it up before the snow flies and it's Zwift season again.

So we get to pick these up at the local bike shop? Interesting. Might be a "end of season sale get a free jersey and while you're at it upgrade..." ploy.

Last edited by aliensporebomb; 08-01-19 at 10:17 AM. Reason: One more thought
Old 08-01-19, 12:24 PM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 122 Posts
Originally Posted by monstorr
Holy crap nice everyone! I barely made it at 102.9. Would have been a lot easier if I didn't wait until the last weekend on July, haha
Yeah, I was out of town for a good chunk of the month, and had to fit most of it in the last few days. Also trying to build a base again, so maybe pushed a little, but hey... I'm gettin' a t-shirt!
Old 08-01-19, 03:53 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts
I too only found out about this a couple of weeks ago but was able to finish it last week. Now we just have to wait and see if this freebie is real.
Old 08-02-19, 06:36 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Ended up with 742 miles. No way I was going to make 1000, just not enough time between work and the family.

I wonder if it's the same shirt the Trek stores were giving away during their sale "Trek Days".
Old 08-02-19, 07:06 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

It's tough to say what the odds of winning anything even are-- prizes are only available to US residents.

There were 154,153 entrants, but only 143,061 recorded 100 or more miles.

Of that number, only 51,673 are from the US. I finished 1,464th.

Then you start looking past the raw numbers, and there are people who supposedly rode 2-3 times per day, and you wonder what kind of verification process is in place.

And personal issue here: the 1st place guy on the leaderboard did a 693 mile ride around the Finger Lakes in NY. Problem is, with a 38 hour moving time and a 79 hour total time... umm, that's not one activity.
Sorry. No one on a bike tour just pauses the computer at night and starts it again in the morning, and then calls the whole tour a single activity. His Move Ratio was 0.49. That's four rides.
Yeah, they're big ones, but it's still four rides. One of the "breaks" was 11 hours long.
Old 08-02-19, 11:58 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,393 Times in 2,738 Posts
I think the rules even permitted some trainer or virtual miles. Plus you've got people sneaking in ebike rides and who knows what else.
Old 08-02-19, 12:57 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Every time I see a "century" on Zwift, my brain produces two adversarial thoughts. First, that sitting on a trainer for 5+ hours is ridiculous, and should be worth at least some recognition... but at the same time, that's not a damn century.

The same fellow that led the Trek Challenge has something in excess of 190 "centuries" for 2019, but over half of them appear to be on Zwift. So while I love getting PRs as much as the next guy, cut that guy's mileage total in half. Virtual rides deserve virtual credit.
Old 08-02-19, 05:05 PM
2cam16

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Every time I see a "century" on Zwift, my brain produces two adversarial thoughts. First, that sitting on a trainer for 5+ hours is ridiculous, and should be worth at least some recognition... but at the same time, that's not a damn century.

The same fellow that led the Trek Challenge has something in excess of 190 "centuries" for 2019, but over half of them appear to be on Zwift. So while I love getting PRs as much as the next guy, cut that guy's mileage total in half. Virtual rides deserve virtual credit.
Sadly, the sign of the future. People won't even be going out to ride some decades from now.
Old 08-02-19, 06:14 PM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Originally Posted by 2cam16
Sadly, the sign of the future. People won't even be going out to ride some decades from now.
I would take a more optimistic stance on this, but my recent visit to family in NM has me shaking my head. They're firmly planted in the living room, watching TV, and occasionally either getting up and shuffling in place, or just mindlessly shaking an arm. Turns out, they got fitbit armbands and were competing with each other on how many "steps" each could get.

It took more effort for me to avoid rolling my eyes or shaking my head than they were taking with their 'steps'.

So... I can see bicycling being treated like this by many. How about an e-bike on a smart trainer?
Likes For velojym:
Old 08-02-19, 09:19 PM
Jac of Hearts

Bikes: 2012 Trek Dual Sport 8.5 Gary Fisher Collection

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by velojym
... How about an e-bike on a smart trainer?
Now that's funny.

I hate to ride in the gym but I will if need be. I want to feel the wind in my beard and feel the movement.
Likes For Jac of Hearts:
Old 08-02-19, 09:58 PM
jadocs

Originally Posted by DrIsotope

A lot of people are riding faster in zwift than they can in real life, not because they are data doping but because their trainer has a larger margin for error than advertised, reporting more power than they are actually producing. A pace in zwift, and B pace in real life. It’s actually pretty common unless the trainer is calibrated to a real power meter or they are connecting a real power meter.
Old 08-05-19, 07:52 AM
PGHNeil

Bikes: 2003 Trek 4900, 2019 Trek Marlin 7

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 26 Posts
I got in just as the sun set on the 31st: 106 miles. I'm already 24 miles in this month. I'm not going to come anywhere close to 1000. I'm actually looking forward to the weather cooling off and putting some heavier treads on.

BTW, I did go to a spin class but didn't use my miles on that. I don't particularly like sweating in "meat markets" in any capacity. Riding isn't about numbers or frequency with me; it's about getting out of the house and off the grid (if at all possible) for several hours a day.
Old 08-05-19, 11:51 AM
velojym

I guess, even if all else were accurate, it'd be easy to tick off a bunch of miles on a trainer in an air conditioned room, fan directed at the rider, maybe a movie playing on the big screen.

Haven't tried it, myself. I get bored pedaling in one spot.
Old 08-08-19, 08:07 AM
jadocs

Originally Posted by velojym
I guess, even if all else were accurate, it'd be easy to tick off a bunch of miles on a trainer in an air conditioned room, fan directed at the rider, maybe a movie playing on the big screen.

Haven't tried it, myself. I get bored pedaling in one spot.
Smart rollers are where it is at. You are really riding your bike and developing skills that directly translate to the road. No artificiality associated with having your bike locked in. I never get bored riding indoors this way.
Old 10-01-19, 05:13 PM
2cam16

Picked my T up this morning at the closest shop I had it sent to. No fuss, no pressure. Just told them what I was there for, they went to the back and came out with the shirt. Thank you Trek and Strava!

IMG_0293 by 2cam16, on Flickr
Old 10-01-19, 06:00 PM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
I picked mine up on Sunday. The girl was a little nervous when she came back with it because she thought there was a mistake with the size. I assured her that I ordered it in my husband's size instead of mine since he rides a Trek and I don't. All the shorts were on clearance since it is getting cooler here, but all they had left were XS and XXL. I'm somewhere in between, so I just took my t-shirt and left.
Old 10-02-19, 06:45 AM
jadocs

Originally Posted by NomarsGirl
I picked mine up on Sunday. The girl was a little nervous when she came back with it because she thought there was a mistake with the size. I assured her that I ordered it in my husband's size instead of mine since he rides a Trek and I don't. All the shorts were on clearance since it is getting cooler here, but all they had left were XS and XXL. I'm somewhere in between, so I just took my t-shirt and left.
Were you guys notified by the store that they had them or did you just walk in? I got an email from Trek saying they were going to send it by a certain date but have not heard anything.
Old 10-02-19, 06:53 AM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
Originally Posted by jadocs
Were you guys notified by the store that they had them or did you just walk in? I got an email from Trek saying they were going to send it by a certain date but have not heard anything.
I got that e-mail, but nothing saying it was in.
Likes For NomarsGirl:
Old 10-02-19, 07:00 AM
2cam16

Originally Posted by jadocs
Nah, I just checked the store a couple of days after the date given by Trek.
Likes For 2cam16:
Old 10-03-19, 10:06 AM
Yendor72

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2016 Framed Wolftrax

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
My wife went a couple days before they said it would be at the store, picked both mine and hers up. No pressure to buy anything at all.
Old 10-03-19, 10:26 AM
Beachgrad05
Just Keep Pedaling

Bikes: 99 Schwinn Mesa GS MTB, 15 Trek Domane 5.9 Dura-Ace, 17 Trek Emonda SL6 Pro & 18 Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 34 Posts
Picked up my shirt last night. The tshirts were in two boxes. Because there were only two guys on floor, I offered to help sift thru to find mine. Mine was the LAST shirt at bottom of box #2
Old 10-03-19, 10:30 AM
jadocs

Picked mine up yesterday. Mine looks a little different then the gray one posted above. Not sure what the “five” reference means.
Old 10-03-19, 07:15 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,393 Times in 2,738 Posts

I got mine today. I think the "five" and "ten" mean 500 and 1000 miles, five and ten "centuries," so to speak.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.