Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Walmart Launches High-End 'Viathon' Bike Brand

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Walmart Launches High-End 'Viathon' Bike Brand

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-19, 09:50 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
This is a "Walmart brand" in a similar way that Rapha and Allied are "Walmart brands": all are controlled by the Walton brothers. Viathon is a bit different because it's owned directly by Walmart Stores rather than the Waltons' investment vehicle, but I'm certain the impetus to start the brand comes from the Waltons. These guys are true cycling fans and have plowed millions into cycling brands and infrastructure recently. The bikes look really competitive as well.

These guys are multi-billionaires, they understand cycling and they're at the head of the largest and most efficient supply chain management organization in the world. Over time, I think this has the potential to be truly disruptive.
By coincidence, I happened to discover that Georgetown DC ($$ location) had a Rapha shop. Very chic looking with espresso/pastry bar but I had to wonder how the place made any money. Nobody bought anything while I was there. I'm guessing the Rapha stores are image-boosting tax write-offs.

So the Waltons are big cycling fans? Maybe. Folks buy everything online nowadays, perhaps LBS can survive doing maintenance/repair for those bikes. Sears used to sell some decent Austrian bikes & farm repair work to local shops. ~5 years ago I was impressed to see that WalMart sold alu-frame MTB's with disc brakes. Not great quality I suppose but probably better than some of the junk sold by mass-marketers in the '70's.
Old 07-10-19, 11:18 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Small irony here: both men's and women's Dirty Kanza races this year were won by people riding Allied bikes, another brand also owned by the Walton brothers.
They invested in the business and own part of it.

Do I get to claim Apple is owned by me just because I have some stock?
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 07-10-19, 11:40 AM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4409 Post(s)
Liked 4,521 Times in 3,023 Posts
I buy White Lightning chain lube at Walmart
Old 07-10-19, 12:16 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
They invested in the business and own part of it.

Do I get to claim Apple is owned by me just because I have some stock?
OK, Mr. Snarky. It depends, do you have enough pull to have Apple relocate to your hometown as Allied did to Bentonville? I'd say they likely have a majority stake and likely have significant pull in management decisions. Not sure where you stand with Tim Cook.
Old 07-10-19, 12:45 PM
Razorrock

Bikes: Litespeed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 21 Posts
OK, Mr. Snarky. It depends, do you have enough pull to have Apple relocate to your hometown as Allied did to Bentonville? I'd say they likely have a majority stake and likely have significant pull in management decisions. Not sure where you stand with Tim Cook.
Allied didn't relocate to Bentonville. They are opening a retail shop there. I ride past it on my regular ride. In a way the Walton's did help them move to Bentonville. They have pumped millions of $ into bike trails on and off road. Allied or any bike shop would want a local presence.
Old 07-10-19, 01:28 PM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
I think they need to bring the price down if they really want to compete. I was looking at their gravel bike, but got a similar spec bike cheaper from my LBS. The whole draw of direct to consumer is supposed to be reduced cost. I don't see Viathon, or Canyon for that matter, really delivering on that (I really liked the Grail too, but couldn't justify spending more and still not having local support).
Old 07-10-19, 02:37 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Only bike service Walmart offers is refunding your money..
True. I also wonder what kind of Donkey Kongs they will hire to assemble these so-called high-enders.
Old 07-10-19, 03:18 PM
02Giant 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1638 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 495 Posts
Originally Posted by NoControl
True. I also wonder what kind of Donkey Kongs they will hire to assemble these so-called high-enders.

Within the linked article. "The bikes are assembled to 98% using Carlsbad, California based company Lucidity to be ready for a home delivery requiring minimal final assembly."
Old 07-10-19, 03:23 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
doesn't bikes direct and canyon, 2 other warehouse to buyer schemes, do the same thing?

Do they discount the time spent stripping off all that packing material too?

Old 07-10-19, 09:43 PM
DropBarFan

Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
I think they need to bring the price down if they really want to compete. I was looking at their gravel bike, but got a similar spec bike cheaper from my LBS. The whole draw of direct to consumer is supposed to be reduced cost. I don't see Viathon, or Canyon for that matter, really delivering on that (I really liked the Grail too, but couldn't justify spending more and still not having local support).
I agree, the Allied bikes in particular are quite expensive...made in America, OK, but still. Sporty bikes is a crowded market. I'd like to see Waltons use their resources to improve casual/commuter bikes for instance. Why not a mass-market belt-drive/IGH line? Avg casual rider doesn't do much if any maintenance, I could see these gaining popularity.
Old 07-11-19, 03:16 AM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
The name sounds fake like half the Fren-talian items on the Starbucks drink menu.
Old 07-11-19, 04:42 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghazmh
The name sounds fake like half the Fren-talian items on the Starbucks drink menu.
Fezzari needed some competition.

I like the jerseys,but not might actually wear one
Old 07-11-19, 04:47 AM
FlMTNdude

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
For those who shop WalMart, I don’t see them buying a bike of this caliber.
Old 07-11-19, 08:38 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Originally Posted by FlMTNdude
Old 07-11-19, 08:42 AM
Hiro11

Originally Posted by Razorrock
Allied didn't relocate to Bentonville. They are opening a retail shop there. I ride past it on my regular ride. In a way the Walton's did help them move to Bentonville. They have pumped millions of $ into bike trails on and off road. Allied or any bike shop would want a local presence.
https://talkbusiness.net/2019/05/hig...o-bentonville/
Old 07-11-19, 06:38 PM
DropBarFan

Originally Posted by FlMTNdude
Walmart nearest me is across the street from the Bentley/Aston Martin/McLaren dealership & a bunch of $$ condos. WalMart.com sells all sorts of stuff incl quality brands, so who knows?
Old 07-11-19, 10:53 PM
lbj273

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Because when you think high end bikes Walmart is certainly what comes to mind. Seems like a rather curious decision to me but maybe there's a market?
Old 07-12-19, 07:40 AM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by lbj273
Because when you think high end bikes Walmart is certainly what comes to mind. Seems like a rather curious decision to me but maybe there's a market?
uh probably not...these are same folks that fight over tv's on thanksgiving day sale to save $1.86. I don't see their "clients" putting up a few k's for a bicycle.

I don't think they ever intended to have the bikes have any relation with the actual stores of Walmart. They know this is not a match, they just get the relation because who they are.

Just a couple of guys with endless resources playing with their hobbies....
Old 07-24-19, 08:00 PM
fronesis

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
the bike itself looks fine, but nothing special. It's virtually indistinguishable from the sea of other black carbon gravel bikes out there in terms of equipment and geometry. Most damming however is that the price point is exactly the same as every other black carbon gravel bike that's out there.
I’m not here to defend Walmart or the Walton family, but the account above – which other posters seemed to agree with – is slightly off-base.

Point me to another $2300 gravel bike that has the following:
– Carbon frame that weights just barely over 1kg
– FULL 105 groupset
– Quality wheels – HEDs, wide, tubeless ready, and weighing less than 1700 grams
– Quality finishing kit – all Zipp

In addition, the Viathon also has:
– clearance for up to 51mm 700c wheels
– a threaded BSA BB

Most “105 spec” bikes out there either aren’t fully 105 (cheap crank, etc.) and/or they have 2kg boat anchors for wheels. And most of the big name carbon bikes have some version of a press-fit BB.

Also, the Viathon is currently on sale for under $2,000.

I’m not saying everyone, or even anyone should buy this bike but it’s not fair to say that it has no advantages over other bikes at the same price point.
Old 07-27-19, 08:12 PM
rebel1916

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by DropBarFan
I agree, the Allied bikes in particular are quite expensive...made in America, OK, but still. Sporty bikes is a crowded market. I'd like to see Waltons use their resources to improve casual/commuter bikes for instance. Why not a mass-market belt-drive/IGH line? Avg casual rider doesn't do much if any maintenance, I could see these gaining popularity.
Because the Walton's are fun, sport cyclists, like 99% of the other "serious" cyclists in America, not beardy weirdies on strange, upright, "sensible" bikes.

Last edited by rebel1916; 07-27-19 at 08:16 PM.
Old 07-27-19, 08:14 PM
rebel1916

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
It's always funny to hear how the Waltons love cycling after they mugged Huffy and Murray and left them to die, and their bike department requires a tetanus shot
Huffy and Murray were hot garbage when I was a boy in the 80s.
Old 07-27-19, 11:56 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by rebel1916
Huffy and Murray were hot garbage when I was a boy in the 80s.
Of course they were. Whether or not you liked their bikes they were the American companies making in America the sort of bikes Walmart now sources from China. Walmart asked them to compete with near-slave labor. The only reason Walmart is now looking to make bikes in the USA is the tariffs.

I’m similarly bemused when Walmart, who doesn’t pay their people enough to keep them off food stamps and whose owners are now a dynasty of billionaires, asks me at the point of sale to donate to charity.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 07-28-19, 05:37 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
It's always funny to hear how the Waltons love cycling after they mugged Huffy and Murray and left them to die, and their bike department requires a tetanus shot
Word

https://www.doverpost.com/article/20...logs/312149988

Many Ohioans won't forget.
Old 07-28-19, 12:23 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
I'm just wondering where these will sell at. The article states they're known for selling $300-500 dollar bikes in the stores, but for the near decade of the Denali; never even seen a pro model in there, and that is a $400 bike. And my old Roadtech at $112(after tax) is the most expensive bike I ever seen. If they are so avid a cyclist, they should be having better stuff anyway, and they can certainly have better bikes in the stores and not personally lose too much money selling a high end bike at the cost of a Granite Peak. At the end of the day, all the hate outside employee wages is just stupid. It's a store, like Target and what Kmart was and what some Krogers arw becoming. Outside a few of their own brands of crap; which is just some foods and jeans, everything is name brand ****, whatever section you walk in. It's just a store. The only difference between it and Target; is the color scheme. Still... where are these bikes supposed to sell, just online?
Old 07-28-19, 04:57 PM
robnol
Banned

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by 02Giant
My apologies if this has been posted prior. I haven't seen it if so.
Initially only available on viathon.com with walmart.com in the future. What the future holds will be interesting to see.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/walmar...ike-brand.html
walmart sells 3rd world garbage.....only a fool would think that they would sell quality bikes....i mean come on really?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.