Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Deluxe Touring Paramount P15-9 - 1973

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-19, 09:22 AM
strossos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Deluxe Touring Paramount P15-9 - 1973

I don't usually post, so hopefully this is okay. I've been lurking a number of years though!

I came into possession of a 1973 Schwinn Paramount "Deluxe Touring" absolutely covered in gunk a few years ago. By far the most valuable bike I've overhauled and I'm wondering how I did. The orange bits are a personal preference to make it look like the old gulf racing livery, but are certainly not very vintage, any effect on value? Aside from the orange, I kept it as original as I could.

Images here!
https://imgur.com/a/2e5wgnY

Things that I did:
-Took apart just about every bolt and bearing on the bike and rebuilt. Cleaned parts with ultrasonic bath. Added frame saver. Kept as much of the original bike as possible.
-Rims were goners. Original hubs re-laced to new Sunlite rims by local bike shop. Still 27"
-Waterslide decals were badly damaged and replaced.
-Paint is original and overall good condition. There are some scuffs.
-Replaced chain, brake pads, brake hoods, cables, etc.
Old 09-02-19, 09:40 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 09-02-19, 09:46 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Don’t take this as criticism, because it isn’t...

Are you just asking for a valuation, or effect on value from the consumables/saddle choices?

Are you showing off the bike? (Which you deserve, it’s a great job!)

You might be better off posting this to the main forum...

Anyway, since it’s the valuation forum, I think your choices in tape/cables will have minimal impact on its value, though most would probably prefer a more conventional build. It would be worth more with a brooks, but not enough to buy one.

I love the blue.
Old 09-02-19, 06:58 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26402 Post(s)
Liked 10,374 Times in 7,203 Posts
...I would echo this sentiment. I very much hope that you have done all this because you want to ride it and cherish it, in which case "value" does not matter much. Value is market driven by time, demand, and location. Once you start paying a bike shop to rebuild your wheels, you quickly discover that you'll probably take a beating on resale if your original purpose was cashing in on a valuable bicycle. OTOH, these are fun to ride, and all that work you put into it will make it last a long time in your life as a bicycle rider.

If I had any constructive criticism to add, it would probably involve the length and routing of your cables and housings. But they work fine that way, and some people prefer them longer and routed differently than I route mine. So that's aesthetics.
Old 09-02-19, 08:29 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 535 Posts
I would have routed the rear brake cable over the handlebar, but non the less, very nice build. The orange with the blue really pops.
Tim
Likes For tkamd73:
Old 09-03-19, 05:45 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 351 Posts
Job well done. I had a Paramount track bike in that color when I was a kid. I would love to get a hold of a road bike. Paramounts bring good money. Yours I would value in the $1000 range.
Old 09-03-19, 06:17 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
That is not a touring saddle. Put a Brooks saddle on the bike. Looks good.
Old 09-03-19, 06:26 PM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 609 Posts
It looks like a solid build around a lovely frame! I'd say $1,000 is a reasonable value for what this bike would be currently worth on Ebay. As a rider, it may well turn out to be priceless, depending on what you're after!

-Gregory
Old 09-03-19, 09:25 PM
strossos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...I would echo this sentiment. I very much hope that you have done all this because you want to ride it and cherish it, in which case "value" does not matter much. Value is market driven by time, demand, and location. Once you start paying a bike shop to rebuild your wheels, you quickly discover that you'll probably take a beating on resale if your original purpose was cashing in on a valuable bicycle. OTOH, these are fun to ride, and all that work you put into it will make it last a long time in your life as a bicycle rider.

If I had any constructive criticism to add, it would probably involve the length and routing of your cables and housings. But they work fine that way, and some people prefer them longer and routed differently than I route mine. So that's aesthetics.
Thanks for the feedback, and thanks to all who provided some insight in this thread!

I had grand dreams of riding it, but it turns out I had way more fun working on the overhaul. I'm in a tough spot where I feel I can't give the bike the love it deserves and it instead sits in storage. It just doesn't fit my riding style! I didn't focus on value when doing this project, so I'm glad to hear I didn't make decisions that seriously affect what it's worth. Now to figure out how I want to proceed.

Thanks again, and I appreciate the kind words!
Likes For strossos:
Old 09-04-19, 04:38 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,828 Times in 1,995 Posts
Taller guys are cheap.
27" wheels are out of date.
triple front, Good.
Color, TEAM USA circa Munich 1972.