Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Seat post seized on a 2 year old bike.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-19, 11:22 AM
Tombaatar

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Sequoia, 99 Gary Fisher Aquila, 88 Diamondback Apex, 89 Trek 400, 85 Specialized Rock Hopper, 86 Peugeot Triathlon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

For the last 5 days my 2017 Specialized Sequoia has been at the bike shop where i bought, it upside down, with PB Blaster in the seat tube trying to free the seat post. Granted I have put over 10,000 miles on it but I have had bikes my whole life, several that are 20+ years old that I bought myself, and have never had this issue before. If it were abused or left outside i could see this happening. Thoughts? Seems like a manufacturing error to be so corroded after so few years but of course the warranty says corrosion not covered.
Old 09-11-19, 11:39 AM
kuroba

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
I had a similar thing happen on a steel frame and then I learned that it is a very common thing to happen when using steel frame and aluminum seatpost (guess it applies to carbon too?). The first couple years I didn't took out my seatpost, not even when cleaning/washing my bike, so when I tried to take it off (to box the bike for a trip) it was stuck. It took us a few days but we got it out. Since then when I clean my bike I take out the seat post and apply some grease. No problems ever since.

Hope your LBS can get it out.
Old 09-11-19, 11:43 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
It was an assembly error. Had the LBS where the bike was purchased done the standard step of greasing or putting anti-seize or assembly paste on the seatpost (whichever is recommended for whatever materials are used) then this would likely not have happened.

Generally this is more of an issue when seapost and frame are of dissimilar materials (aluminum post in steel frame is likely what the Sequoia has), but the most stuck seatposts I have tried (unsuccessfully) to remove were steel posts stuck in steel frames.
Old 09-11-19, 02:58 PM
REDMASTA

Bikes: Bare Rum Sword Knuckle Runner

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 64 Posts
recently dealt with a stuck alu seat post in a 10 year old steel frame. like others have said it's not uncommon, check them seat posts regulary!

it's not going to break free with pb blaster alone no matter how long it sits. best shot you got is to clamp the seat post in a bench vise and use the frame as leverage to break it loose. luckily that worked for me, and afterwards i used 1" flex hone + extension to clean out inside of seat tube.
Old 09-11-19, 06:25 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Dont rush the process and damage something. Try turning the bike upside down. Remove the bottom bracket and pour a mixture of automatic transmission fluid and naptha down the seat tube and let it set over over night.
Old 09-12-19, 11:13 AM
Jicafold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by REDMASTA
recently dealt with a stuck alu seat post in a 10 year old steel frame. like others have said it's not uncommon, check them seat posts regulary!

it's not going to break free with pb blaster alone no matter how long it sits. best shot you got is to clamp the seat post in a bench vise and use the frame as leverage to break it loose. luckily that worked for me, and afterwards i used 1" flex hone + extension to clean out inside of seat tube.
+1

PB Blaster is not going to work on dissimilar metals that have galvanic corrosion and that bike is steel with an aluminum seatpost. Your bike shop should know better, and like others said, they should have greased that seatpost when you bought it just 2 years ago. So that's 2 strikes against them. It's their fault. Have them give you a new bike if they can't get it out.
Old 09-12-19, 03:11 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18404 Post(s)
Liked 15,496 Times in 7,318 Posts
Grease doesn’t last forever, despite what you may read on BF.
Old 09-12-19, 08:37 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Smash the posh further in with a lump hammer, to break the bond it has with the surface. Not so far that it hits the bottle-cage mount.

Note - this may wreck it.
Likes For MikeyMK:
Old 09-13-19, 04:51 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
I had a stuck seatpost once and took it to the bike shop. After two days they gave up. I brought them ammonia and told them to try it. Within a day the post was out and they thanked me for the tip. This is a bike shop that had been in business for over 100 years. My point, ammonia can work, at least it did for me on my steel frame/aluminum post.

From that point forward, I pull my post and quill stem at least once a year and re-grease. I a glad I read this post because my wife just purchased a Specialized Ruby carbon frame/carbon post and I should pull it and make sure the shop put enough carbon paste in there.

Good luck to the op, it will eventually come it.
Old 09-13-19, 05:09 AM
ljsense

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 92 Posts
When aluminum alloy seatposts oxidize, the results -- Al2O3 -- is this big abrasive crystal. It makes the seatpost larger and locks it into the frame with amazing security.

Strong bases will dissolve it (and aluminum alloy). That's why ammonia worked. Lubricants designed for steel/steel interfaces (like PB Blaster) don't.

If the bond is too strong for mechanical efforts to break it, you can use chemistry and patience. Cut the seat tube, remove the crank and pour a strong solution of NaOH (Lye) into the seat tube after you've plugged one end of it. I usually plug the bottom.

It will bubble and boil. Be careful, go slow, and wear eye protection and full skin coverage. Lye is extremely caustic and will burn skin, destroy any anodizing it touches, but will not hurt steel at all. You'll have to keep adding fresh Lye (I use a bottle of the little granules) and water. After several hours, it will eat through the entire seatpost.
Old 09-13-19, 06:51 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Dont rush the process and damage something. Try turning the bike upside down. Remove the bottom bracket and pour a mixture of automatic transmission fluid and naptha down the seat tube and let it set over over night.

And what is that supposed to accomplish? The shop is already using a penetrating oil on the post which is questionable as well. The problem isn’t a lubrication problem...except that the post should have been lubricated before it was put in the frame.

Originally Posted by Tombaatar
For the last 5 days my 2017 Specialized Sequoia has been at the bike shop where i bought, it upside down, with PB Blaster in the seat tube trying to free the seat post. Granted I have put over 10,000 miles on it but I have had bikes my whole life, several that are 20+ years old that I bought myself, and have never had this issue before. If it were abused or left outside i could see this happening. Thoughts? Seems like a manufacturing error to be so corroded after so few years but of course the warranty says corrosion not covered.
As others have said, it’s an assembly issue. It could also be an environmental issue. Even a little bit of salt from sweat or from road splash facilitates the corrosion. Salt will also sit there and suck up water from the air which further exacerbates the problem. You might try to get Specialized to warranty the problem but realize that you could be at fault as well.

The problem is that corrosion products of the dissimilar metals have a greater volume than the metals. The fit is very close and even a small amount of corrosion can fill the gap and jam the post in place. Pouring in something that will dissolve the corrosion products would be a better course of action. Unfortunately the corrosion products...mostly aluminum oxides...aren’t soluble in much of anything including strong acids and strong bases. Also unfortunately, the chemicals that might dissolve the aluminum...like ammonia or sodium hydroxide (lye)...will probably damage the steel as well.

This is the reason that people can seldom get a fully frozen post out of a frame. Chemical means don’t work. You might try physical means like cutting off the post and using a blade to cut slots into the inside of the post and breaking the post out. That’s usually far too much work and you do risk cutting into the frame.

If, on the other hand, your post is at the right height, just ride it.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 09-13-19, 08:52 AM
Tombaatar

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Sequoia, 99 Gary Fisher Aquila, 88 Diamondback Apex, 89 Trek 400, 85 Specialized Rock Hopper, 86 Peugeot Triathlon

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
They got the post out. The tube was a totally mangled mess. They gave me a "take off" seat post from a new bike that upgraded, charged me 45 for labor and 40 for a new quick release clamp.
This shop has been pretty good to me over the years so I didn't mention anything to them about the potential of poor initial assembly. I am sure that the effort required to free the post was worth the cost.
Thanks for all of the advise. I thought I was going to have to take it home and try myself. Happy to be on my bike again but I did enjoy the opportunity to commute on a couple of my old rides for a week.
Cheers!
Likes For Tombaatar:
Old 09-13-19, 10:17 AM
starchase

Bikes: 1992 Giant Farrago; 2011 KHS, TC-150

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
You might have mentioned the issue to them just so that they don't make the same mistake on someone elses bike and still not know what is happening. Just a thought.
Old 09-13-19, 04:31 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1741 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
I have worked in bike shops since the beginning of time and the going motto is "Grease before insertion" Pretty funny for a kid to hear, but one never forgets it. With that having been said, we have seen aluminum posts freeze up after only a few years due to environmental elements. Grease works, but there are extenuating circumstances that can render it useless.
Old 09-14-19, 05:35 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
They got the post out. The tube was a totally mangled mess. They gave me a "take off" seat post from a new bike that upgraded, charged me 45 for labor and 40 for a new quick release clamp.
This shop has been pretty good to me over the years so I didn't mention anything to them about the potential of poor initial assembly. I am sure that the effort required to free the post was worth the cost.
Thanks for all of the advise. I thought I was going to have to take it home and try myself. Happy to be on my bike again but I did enjoy the opportunity to commute on a couple of my old rides for a week.
Cheers!
Did you at least ask if they greased the new post?
Old 09-14-19, 10:13 AM
Clem von Jones

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
I have worked in bike shops since the beginning of time and the going motto is "Grease before insertion" Pretty funny for a kid to hear, but one never forgets it. With that having been said, we have seen aluminum posts freeze up after only a few years due to environmental elements. Grease works, but there are extenuating circumstances that can render it useless.
But use a silicone-based lube in carbon frames with carbons seatposts because petroleum-based grease will weaken the epoxy resin of carbon composite. But yeah in metal frames using metal seatposts make sure the inserted part is completely covered with grease. Glad to hear they finally got the post out.

Last edited by Clem von Jones; 09-14-19 at 10:18 AM.
Old 09-16-19, 02:21 PM
Tombaatar

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Yes, new post was greased.
Old 09-16-19, 04:07 PM
puma1552

Bikes: '17 Colnago C-RS (Full 5800); '16 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 39 Posts
So, what type of grease should one be using for an aluminum seatpost in a carbon frame?
Old 09-16-19, 04:17 PM
Newspaper_Nick

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 48 Posts
This is the second bad thing i have read about Specialized Sequoia. Another user complains about the lack of quality of the components, especially the rims. Such a pity really, it is a very good looking bike.
Old 09-23-19, 07:04 AM
Tombaatar

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Rims on the 2017 are garbage. One wheel cracked all the way around. Was replace under warranty. Then after 5,000 miles the wheel bearings had to be replaced so I scraped them and replaced them with Stan's Grail.
Old 09-23-19, 07:35 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,674 Posts
When I worked in a shop, when all else failed in attempts to remove a stuck seatpost, we'd take the bike over to the car repair shop next door, where a mechanic would use an air hammer on the bottom of the seat clamping assembly. Five seconds.
Old 09-23-19, 08:58 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18404 Post(s)
Liked 15,496 Times in 7,318 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
The problem is that corrosion products of the dissimilar metals have a greater volume than the metals. The fit is very close and even a small amount of corrosion can fill the gap and jam the post in place.
I learned this the hard way but with my aluminum CK headset and the steel steerer of my CF fork. I sweat a lot, poor water over my head rode the bike in rainy conditions and was bad at preventative maintenance. The headset spacers became helplessly fused to the streerer tube. The shop eventually had to cut them with a Dremel tool and pry them off via the cuts.
Old 09-23-19, 02:31 PM
Crapwonk

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
I use Permatex 77124 Nickel Anti-Seize Lubricant on anything I want to be able to disassemble in the future. It is very water resistant and good up to 2400 F, so it is good on auto parts that reach high temperatures.
Old 09-23-19, 02:47 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Originally Posted by Newspaper_Nick
This is the second bad thing i have read about Specialized Sequoia. Another user complains about the lack of quality of the components, especially the rims. Such a pity really, it is a very good looking bike.

Rims on the 2017 are garbage. One wheel cracked all the way around. Was replace under warranty. Then after 5,000 miles the wheel bearings had to be replaced so I scraped them and replaced them with Stan's Grail.
The quality of the wheels is my main hesitation when looking at a Specialized bike - both in my time working in shops and through people I personally knew I am aware of many failed hubs and freehub bodies on Spec branded wheels, at least one year so many failed that the company ran out of parts to send out as warranty replacements.
Considering that the far superior Shimano Deore hubs are probably ~$5 or 10 more per wheel on a $2000+ bike, it makes Specialized look like complete cheapskates.
I love the look of the Sequoia, but would certainly have to budget for the cost of a decent pair of wheels if I was considering purchasing one.
Old 09-24-19, 05:58 AM
Newspaper_Nick

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
The quality of the wheels is my main hesitation when looking at a Specialized bike - both in my time working in shops and through people I personally knew I am aware of many failed hubs and freehub bodies on Spec branded wheels, at least one year so many failed that the company ran out of parts to send out as warranty replacements.
Considering that the far superior Shimano Deore hubs are probably ~$5 or 10 more per wheel on a $2000+ bike, it makes Specialized look like complete cheapskates.
I love the look of the Sequoia, but would certainly have to budget for the cost of a decent pair of wheels if I was considering purchasing one.
Specialized is a globally sold brand. It even maybe the second most sold brand globally (after Giant). So 5-10USD of saving per bike sums up to a huge number at the end of the day. That is the corporate way of thinking. Can't blame them. I know for a fact that Giant and Canondale also use cheap components on their cheap bikes, like Formula branded entry level wheels and hubs. Of course not all cheap components end up being bad. Sometimes you get unlucky. However, the Sequoia is marketed as an adventure/gravel bike, so they should have been a little more careful regarding the wheelset they have chosen i guess.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.