Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Do you use your FG/SS bikes on longer rides?

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-15, 10:47 AM
CountMeOut

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've got a fixed gear bike that I use to get around my neighborhood, to work and school etc. I enjoy it and it seems that since I live in an extremely flat city gears would not come in handy for me. However, some friends wanted to start going on some longer rides (only about 10 miles, but moving up from there) and I was wondering if there would be a benefit to gears there, even if its still almost entirely flat? Clearly I'm new to all of this
Old 03-24-15, 11:06 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Flat is flat. In fact once you get out of town you'd have even less use of gears because of the lack of street lights. During the winter especially, I like going on long rides up the bike trail or down into the Delta. Once you get rolling, you just keep spinning.
Old 03-24-15, 11:08 AM
CountMeOut

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Flat is flat. In fact once you get out of town you'd have even less use of gears because of the lack of street lights. During the winter especially, I like going on long rides up the bike trail or down into the Delta. Once you get rolling, you just keep spinning.
That's what I figured. I couldn't imagine any benefits but figured I'd ask. So, in general, gears are only helpful for hills and traffic situations? How would gears assist you with street lights?
Old 03-24-15, 11:09 AM
nocluejimbo

Bikes: All-City Nature Boy, Space Horse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've done numerous 20-30 mile hilly rides, and am participating in a 50 mile gravel race this weekend... all an issue of training and preparedness.
Old 03-24-15, 11:17 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by CountMeOut
That's what I figured. I couldn't imagine any benefits but figured I'd ask. So, in general, gears are only helpful for hills and traffic situations? How would gears assist you with street lights?
I usually don't feel like mashing away from a dead stop in a big gear. They're also helpful for wind conditions too.

But the secret benefit of riding a fixed gear is that you are almost always in the "wrong gear." Going up or into a headwind, you're in too big a gear, so you have to mash and thus develop strength. Going down or with a tailwind, you're in too small a gear, so you have to spin and thus develop supplesse (a smooth pedal stroke). This has the effect of widening your power band, so now you're comfortable at a wider range of RPM/torque. This is old school racing wisdom, but it's a benefit for all riders.
Old 03-24-15, 11:21 AM
CountMeOut

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gotcha! I definitely notice that when I'm riding against the wind I have a pretty hard time pushing forward. I've been thinking that maybe my gearing sucks, but in typically feels good when not against the wind. I guess I just have to build up that strength.
Old 03-24-15, 11:23 AM
franswa

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 251 Times in 105 Posts
All the time! Also, well said @caloso ^^
Old 03-24-15, 11:29 AM
50voltphantom

Bikes: Handsome Fredward, Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 47 Posts
Whether gears are necessary is a question only you can answer. I ride mine on 20 mile + rides all the time and it's great.

EDIT: I run almost exactly 70 gear inches FWIW.
Old 03-24-15, 11:32 AM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
I just did a 44 mile ride on Sunday with some friends, most of them on fixed gear. I did a 59 mile ride last year in a charity ride on a fixed gear. Did several 50+ mile Friday night group rides with others on fixed gear bikes. If your terrain is flat by all means go for it. I commute to work on mine as well, 17 mile round trip on an almost daily basis. Your legs get very used to it.
Old 03-24-15, 11:37 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Here's a story that inspired me to take my fixed gear on long rides. 85 miles is my longest FG ride so far this year, but it's still early. I'm running 66" now, but will gradually increase that to 71" or so as my strength increases over the summer.
Old 03-24-15, 11:39 AM
CountMeOut

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like I need to learn some more about my gearing too if I'm going to get into this proper. How can I tell what my gearing is? How do I change it? Whole new hub? Also thanks for all of the replies.
Old 03-24-15, 11:52 AM
50voltphantom

Bikes: Handsome Fredward, Trek 1.1

Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2
I just did a 44 mile ride on Sunday with some friends, most of them on fixed gear. I did a 59 mile ride last year in a charity ride on a fixed gear. Did several 50+ mile Friday night group rides with others on fixed gear bikes. If your terrain is flat by all means go for it. I commute to work on mine as well, 17 mile round trip on an almost daily basis. Your legs get very used to it.
Same here.

Sounds like I need to learn some more about my gearing too if I'm going to get into this proper. How can I tell what my gearing is? How do I change it? Whole new hub? Also thanks for all of the replies.
No need to replace your hub. You can calculate your gearing here Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Gear Calculator
Old 03-24-15, 12:04 PM
Unkle Rico

Bikes: CENTURION / LOOK / Bianchi

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Should be markings on the rear cog and front chain ring about the amount of teeth, if not -- just count them. Use Sheldon's calculator to figure out what your current setup is and then adjust accordingly from there.

All you need is a wrench to remove the lockring for the rear cog and a chain whip to remove the cog itself.

Remove A Fixed Sprocket - MadeGood | Free bike repair resource

Old 03-24-15, 12:12 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
I like this calculator more than Sheldon's for fixed. It helps you pick the right gearing depending on the speed and cadence you are looking for.
Old 03-24-15, 01:54 PM
jlafitte 
Pirate/Smuggler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
Here's a story that inspired me to take my fixed gear on long rides.
And that story was the warmup to this one. Very much worth a read.

BTW that dude has posted a lot in the ld/rando forum

Last edited by jlafitte; 03-24-15 at 01:57 PM.
Old 03-24-15, 06:00 PM
sgtdirt

Bikes: KHS Grit 400, Redline Conquest SS, Redline MonoCog SS,2014 Felt TK3,

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 9 Posts
i'm running a 48/17 which is good for my area. i regularly do 20+ milers around town. there are few rides that require a climb (5% over 1.1 miles) and some other steep stuff (9% over .6 miles). i rarely have to get off anymore as i have gained the required strength to climb these hills. i may not be blistering the rubber but slow and steady gets me there.
Old 03-24-15, 06:28 PM
howeeee
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've got a fixed gear bike that I use to get around my neighborhood, to work and school etc. I enjoy it and it seems that since I live in an extremely flat city gears would not come in handy for me. However, some friends wanted to start going on some longer rides (only about 10 miles, but moving up from there) and I was wondering if there would be a benefit to gears there, even if its still almost entirely flat? Clearly I'm new to all of this
I am 61 ride fixed at least 5 times a week 20 miles at a time, an on many occasions go 40 miles or so.
Old 03-24-15, 06:46 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Whatever you're comfortable with. I finally popped my fixed gear century cherry last October.
Old 03-24-15, 07:11 PM
Carcosa

Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hairnet
Whatever you're comfortable with. I finally popped my fixed gear century cherry last October.
I'm hoping to do that this August, but it's a lofty goal.
Old 03-24-15, 07:25 PM
BlackJoker

Bikes: Soma Rush, Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hairnet
Nice! My longest so far was a 75 mile ride on a rail trail (love those) on my old Bianchi Pista; which I did a few metric centuries on, as well. I do regular 20+ mile rides on my Rush now and my goal is to do a century on it once the weather gets warmer.
Old 03-25-15, 12:12 AM
MattFoley

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only rides I typically don't do fixed are "hill" rides, where the point is to just ride hills. Long, hilly rides though, I do fixed. I've done at least 3 or 4 fixed centuries, and dozens of rides over 40 miles...nothing super hilly, mostly rolling terrain. It's definitely something you should work up to, but I don't really find it to be more tiring than riding with gears at this point. I ride 48x17 btw...
Old 03-25-15, 11:54 AM
nightfly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
I've done two centuries on a fixed gear and used to do long training rides on it. However I bought a geared bike a few years ago because I was finding that as I got older the strain on my body from riding fixed, sort of built up and I wasn't as comfortable as I used to be especially on a long ride with a group of people with gears. I would tend to lock up my shoulders grinding up a hill and my knees would get a little sore toward the end of the ride, that sort of thing. Not the bikes fault but getting older sucks.

Also my fixed gear is set up more for short, flat, city riding so it's not optimal for longer rides.

You can certainly do it but there are some advantages to a geared bike for a longer, hillier rides. I would say if you are going for longer rides, a more stretched out position with drop bars with dummy levers are a good way to go to allow your body to relax and maximize your hand positions.

Having a bike set up for shorter rides and one for longer rides would be a good call if you can swing it.
Old 03-25-15, 11:58 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
I have done countless centuries on my fixed gear bicycles and thought nothing of riding them 40-60 miles either.

10 miles is a warm up or a 23 minute time trial.
Old 03-25-15, 12:15 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
I've only used mine on rides up to about 60-70 miles (did a metric last weekend.) One of these days, the stars will align and I'll be able to get a century in on it.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 03-25-15, 12:23 PM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 136 Posts
Yes I do...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.