Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Wheel truing stand...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Wheel truing stand...

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-18, 03:31 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18382 Post(s)
Liked 4,515 Times in 3,355 Posts
One thing about truing on a vintage bike.. My old frame isn't quite perfectly aligned. I'll have to deal with that someday, but until then, it doesn't hurt to build the wheel for the bike
Old 03-06-18, 03:49 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by Ghrumpy
That's the kind of machine that is really only useful for repetitive wheelbuilding in a production environment. (But I'd still love to have one just because it's so dang kewl.)

Not that tools of all kinds aren't cool, but I really don't understand the need for dial gauges. Your eyeball on a regular stand can get you to within .010" (0.25mm) without trying that hard, which on close to 100% of rims is less than the factory's runout spec. How much more precision do you need? It's far more important to get the tension right and even than to have .005" runout. If you can do both, bully for you. Just get first things first.
I've always trued in the past with a homebuilt stand, and using a pen or something held by one hand as a single point reference point.

Anyway, I tend to have troubles paying attention to both hop and wobble at the same time. One nice thing about the gauges is that one can choose a few spokes to adjust, say for right/left wobble, then quickly look at the other gauge to see if one should tighten/loosen, or just tighten, or just loosen. And thus adjusting both wobble and hop at the same time. At least I find it to be convenient. I need to add pinging into my routine too.

I haven't tried one of the Park stands to compare.

The VAR stand is easy to adjust for different wheels, but is not automatically self-centering, although I presume it could be marked and calibrated if one had certain wheels to true. But, yes, if one was doing say a dozen identical wheels, one could adjust it and center it, then blow through the wheels without checking dishing, or only doing a wheel flip at the end to double-check.
Old 03-06-18, 04:15 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,331 Times in 837 Posts
I have an old VAR truing stand, but I rarely use it, except sometimes when first building a wheel from scratch.

For me, the best wheel truing fixture is my bike fork or stays, with the brake pads as guides for both radial and lateral deviations.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 03-06-18, 04:17 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,331 Times in 837 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
One thing about truing on a vintage bike.. My old frame isn't quite perfectly aligned. I'll have to deal with that someday, but until then, it doesn't hurt to build the wheel for the bike
No problem -- flip the wheel around in the fork or the stays and make sure the rim position doesn't move. I have also centered rims over hubs by looking through the valve hole at the oil cap in the center of the hub.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 03-06-18, 04:31 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by John E
No problem -- flip the wheel around in the fork or the stays and make sure the rim position doesn't move. I have also centered rims over hubs by looking through the valve hole at the oil cap in the center of the hub.
The point was that things like the brakes work best if the wheel is centered under the calipers. So, truing/dishing to the frame isn't always a bad thing.
Old 03-06-18, 05:42 PM
Ghrumpy

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
The point was that things like the brakes work best if the wheel is centered under the calipers. So, truing/dishing to the frame isn't always a bad thing.
A millimeter or two plus or minus may not be a problem. Most frames IMPE are out by that much. But more than that and your rear wheel might not follow the front, making handling a little interesting, especially when you go fast. Why not just straighten the frame?

As far as centering by looking down the valve hole, I don't see how that can be accurate to less than a few mm, if that, and only on the front wheel. That seems more like a "make-do" solution that will get you by until you can use the right tool.

Forgive me for sounding like a snob but I've been a mechanic so long I guess I've forgotten what it's like not to have the right tools and techniques. So, Respect. I admire your can-do attitudes, even if I'm not exactly confident in your workarounds.
I guess if you're building wheels only for yourself, I guess it's one thing. But if you're building for others, that's another. I talked to a mechanic once BITD who told me he would "eyeball dish" (exact quote.) I asked if he flipped the wheel in the stand and he said no. I don't know what technique he used, but I kinda lost respect for him after that.
Old 03-06-18, 07:41 PM
Hellgate

Bikes: 333fab Ti, Davidson Ti, Guru Flite CX, Peugeot PXN10E

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got a Park and a Minura from 30 years ago. I use my brake blocks when the bike is in the stand.
Old 03-06-18, 08:23 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,055 Times in 1,255 Posts
It's great to watch a perfectionist take his sweet time, using dial gauges on an old cast iron stand (C&V content) to make a wheel effin' perfect for the right bike. Up, down, side, tension, pull the wheel and stress it, gauge it, touch it up. Inspirational. Second only to the frame build itself.

Lesser bike wheel builds can use brake blocks, tie wraps and thumbnails with satisfying results as well.
Old 03-06-18, 09:08 PM
Darth_Firebolt
Pokemon Master

Bikes: All City Cosmic Stallion, Salsa Colossal, Surly Preamble, 1985 Schwinn High Sierra x3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
A lot of things work just fine as truing jigs.

I've posted this pic before. After about 10-15 years of not building a wheel (previously a few hundred at various LBS's) I decided to build a set, but didn't have a jig at the time. Ten cents worth of zip ties did the job:

https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7356/1...ab71f3ab_b.jpg
I do the same thing, only I use a ruler and some rubber bands. Get the ruler centered in the frame (or fork), and you can get your dish set, and if you slide it down until it almost touches the wheels, you can get the wheel round. I've built at least 3 sets of wheels this way. I have a dish gauge, but not a wheel truing stand. I use the dish gauge as a double check that the frame isn't tweaked.
Old 03-06-18, 09:44 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,803 Times in 2,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth_Firebolt
I do the same thing, only I use a ruler and some rubber bands. Get the ruler centered in the frame (or fork), and you can get your dish set, and if you slide it down until it almost touches the wheels, you can get the wheel round. I've built at least 3 sets of wheels this way. I have a dish gauge, but not a wheel truing stand. I use the dish gauge as a double check that the frame isn't tweaked.
Nice! Good thinking.

I loves me a good McGyver.
Old 03-07-18, 10:58 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7353 Post(s)
Liked 2,481 Times in 1,440 Posts
One thing I like about real truing stands is the steel calipers that scrape against the rim. I true by sound as well as sight.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-07-18, 01:28 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
One thing I like about real truing stands is the steel calipers that scrape against the rim. I true by sound as well as sight.
me as well.
Old 03-07-18, 01:32 PM
Ghrumpy

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by n0+4c|u3
Real truing stands have little plastic covers to scrape against the wheel, because that's how they roll
I only use those for CFRP rims. I like to hear metal rims when I'm truing.