Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Hay Fever

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-18, 06:00 PM
Mainiac

Bikes: Fuji Allegro, Miele Mountain Bike, Trek Domane AL 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hay Fever

I have hay fever, and my nose seems to run constantly. Due to other meds I am taking, I can't take antihistamines.
If anyone else has this problem, what do you do to keep your nose from dripping all over you?
Old 03-15-18, 06:01 PM
Mainiac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Does anyone make a sleeve that you can use to wipe your nose during warm weather?
Old 03-15-18, 06:04 PM
Hellgate

Bikes: 333fab Ti, Davidson Ti, Guru Flite CX, Peugeot PXN10E

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Flonase? Works great for me and is not an antihistamine.
Old 03-15-18, 11:45 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Are you sure you can't take any antihistamines? Even with multiple meds and being prone to side effects my mom was still able to take Zyrtec or the generic without problems. That's what I take almost every day.

But it's best to avoid older style antihistamines, including diphenhydramine (Benadryl), chlorpheneramine, and others. Too many side effects, some potentially serious. But Zyrtec, Claritin and generics are usually safe with no or few minor side effects.

And I use Flonase or generic fluticasone nasal inhaler, and albuterol chest inhaler. Albuterol powdered inhalers are nearly useless but it's all we have anymore. It takes 10-12 puffs just to get my bronchial tube clear enough for the stuff to work. I space the puffs about 10-15 minutes apart, and the first few puffs mostly just sit in the mouth.

Most days I also need a decongestant to minimize sinus pressure headaches. Only pseudoephedrine and ephedrine work for me. The substitute phenylephrine doesn't work at all for me.

And I use saline sinus irrigation a lot. I have a close personal relationship with Netty Potts.

Even with all that, some days I can barely breathe. Thursday I had to drop out of a moderately fast group ride because I couldn't catch my breath. Just a little too much sinus congestion and bronchial constriction, couldn't get enough air to recover quickly from moderate climbs and sprints.
Old 03-15-18, 11:49 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by Mainiac
Does anyone make a sleeve that you can use to wipe your nose during warm weather?
On really bad days, like Thursday, I'll tuck several paper napkins into my jersey pocket and fish 'em out as needed during a ride. I also have a couple dozen bandannas and use 'em freely to wipe my face and nose. If I'm not wearing a jersey with pockets I'll tuck the bandanna into my waistband or other pocket where I can reach it easily.

But usually my combination of meds minimizes dripping. My main problem is the opposite -- lack of drainage with painful pressure buildup, and congested throat and nasal passages.
Old 03-16-18, 06:13 AM
Brooke1687

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
I’ll 2nd the Zyrtec option if you’re doctor will allow it. I take it daily or I have horrible allergies and break out in hives. The generic is super cheap at Sam’s club.

One warning: I have no side effects from the Zyrtec at all but I know some people (it seems to be more common in men) that say the generic makes them sleepy and grumpy. My husband can’t take it but I practically live off of it.
Old 03-16-18, 07:07 AM
Cross Creek

Bikes: 2013 Rivendell Sam, 1996 Bianchi Milano, 1994 Trek 820

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
For me, Zyrtec at night, Flonase in the morning. Bounty (half sheet) paper towels are more absorbent and hold up better than tissues. Tuck a folded one in your jersey sleeve.

I run an air purifier about 20 hrs per day in late winter and spring, keep a cover on my convertible car to reduce pollen in the cockpit, and pray for a once a week rainstorm to keep the pollen washed away.
Old 03-16-18, 07:08 AM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
My gloves are sometimes gross. The OP can probably imagine why. Sorry, no magic bullet that I've found.
Old 03-16-18, 07:23 AM
Mainiac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Unfortunately my doctors says no Zyrtec unless the allergies get really bad, and then only occasionally. The paper towels work, but I need to bring a lot of them, and there is no place to dispose of them along my routes.
Old 03-16-18, 07:36 AM
WNCGoater

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Well it's kinda gross, but purely from a logistical standpoint, and since you asked... as I ride, I blow snot rockets regularly. Block one nostril, turn my head and launch. Repeat on other side. Wipe with glove or not. On stops, I'll pull my bandanna and have a good thorough blow and wipe, then ride on.
Old 03-16-18, 07:43 AM
mrodgers

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Bounty paper towel is the "quicker picker upper" . Just saying....

I take Claritin for spring and summer allergies. I do carry some Bounty paper towels with me as they are the most absorbent when comparing most consumer paper products. I wear regular shorts, so always have some in my pocket. I dispose at the end of my ride or when I get home.
Old 03-16-18, 03:37 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
I have hay fever, and my nose seems to run constantly. Due to other meds I am taking, I can't take antihistamines.
If anyone else has this problem, what do you do to keep your nose from dripping all over you?
Cotton Dollar Store work gloves, a dollar a pair. Cut off the fingers; they turn the whole back of your hand into a snot rag. Wash them a couple of times then toss.

Also I buy the red cotton shop rags at the dollar store, six for a dollar. I cut themin half and put them in a tiny pouch I use as a top tube bag on my main commuter. I use a regular sized top tube bag on my MTB/Utility commuter, and in the small frame bag on my old road bike.

I don't suffer hay fever much, but when I do, zyrtec, or the generic equivalent works without drowsiness...usually. I used to use chlorpheneramine, but more than two doses in a row caused me depression. No depression with benadryl, just sleepiness.

I don't know if you can use pseudoephedrine, but that always dries me up good for three hours. Thanks to being an ingredient in cheap meth, you have to show your id at the pharmacy counter, but it is the only ting that stops my runny nose when I'm sick or have hay fever.
Old 03-16-18, 09:33 PM
Bring A Bicycle

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How about a wrist sweatband? It's like a towel right there on your arm.
Old 03-16-18, 10:11 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

BTW, if you don't mind full finger gloves without padding that are comfortable year round and easily washable, check out Bontrager RXL Thermal gloves at any Trek shop.

While it has the usual soft wiping area on the back of the thumb, the entire glove is reasonably soft cloth, including the knit cuff -- no Velcro or other wrist straps -- so it doesn't really matter where you wipe sweaty faces or snotty noses.

The palms are soft but tough and abrasion resistant faux-leather. I've scraped 'em on crashes, no problems. Generous reflective trim too, so I'm confident cars behind me see my hand signals.

They do get sweaty in warm weather but aren't uncomfortable.

Sometimes when I've wiped a lot of sweat and snotty noses after a ride and don't have time to do laundry before the next ride I'll just wash them under the faucet like I'm washing my hands. A little dab of Woolite or similar mild laundry detergent, wash 'em together on my hands, then under the tap, including removing the gloves and running water through the open wrist and through the fingers from the inside out. Wring out and hang to dry.

They hold up to repeated hand and machine washings. Great gloves for the money.
Old 03-17-18, 12:56 AM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by WNCGoater
Well it's kinda gross, but purely from a logistical standpoint, and since you asked... as I ride, I blow snot rockets regularly.
Same here. Woe to the drivers not following the three-foot law, especially when I've got my spring sinus infection going on!

I'm pretty much a wreck during cool, damp weather. Flonase helps. I also use a Neti pot after rides to clean out. I also like the fairly cheap Pearl Izumi Select gloves, as they have a terrycloth section on the thumb that works great as a snot wiper.
Old 03-17-18, 04:19 AM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2634 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 82 Posts
suck saline solution up your nose. that will clean all that pollen and stuff out.
Old 03-17-18, 08:41 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6202 Post(s)
Liked 4,816 Times in 3,323 Posts
A cloth handkerchief. Sure it gets soaked, but you are getting soaked with sweat too. Both snot and sweat are mostly water. Snot rockets work well also. Just be nice and let those behind you know before you blow.
Old 03-17-18, 08:54 AM
The Quiet One

Bikes: Felt Z100, Trek 720

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Are you sure you can't take any antihistamines? Even with multiple meds and being prone to side effects my mom was still able to take Zyrtec or the generic without problems. That's what I take almost every day.

But it's best to avoid older style antihistamines, including diphenhydramine (Benadryl), chlorpheneramine, and others. Too many side effects, some potentially serious. But Zyrtec, Claritin and generics are usually safe with no or few minor side effects.

And I use Flonase or generic fluticasone nasal inhaler, and albuterol chest inhaler. Albuterol powdered inhalers are nearly useless but it's all we have anymore. It takes 10-12 puffs just to get my bronchial tube clear enough for the stuff to work. I space the puffs about 10-15 minutes apart, and the first few puffs mostly just sit in the mouth.

Most days I also need a decongestant to minimize sinus pressure headaches. Only pseudoephedrine and ephedrine work for me. The substitute phenylephrine doesn't work at all for me.

And I use saline sinus irrigation a lot. I have a close personal relationship with Netty Potts.

Even with all that, some days I can barely breathe. Thursday I had to drop out of a moderately fast group ride because I couldn't catch my breath. Just a little too much sinus congestion and bronchial constriction, couldn't get enough air to recover quickly from moderate climbs and sprints.
I never though I would be able to squirt water up my nose and watch it run out the other nostril, but I tried it once out of desperation and it wasn't as horrible as I thought it would be and it works. In fact, after you're done and everything's free and clear it's downright pleasant. I still take generic Allegra during allergy season. Zyrtec and Claritin both make me drowsy, not like Benadryl but enough to be noticed. Anyway, seriously try nasal irrigation. I use a squirt bottle from Walgreens and it's very easy to do.
Old 03-17-18, 09:44 AM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), Yess World Cup race BMX, Pure Cruiser race BMX, RSD Mayor v3 Fatbike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 132 Posts
Wow - I don't have to worry about hayfever for months......... but I'm in the snot rocket faction
Old 03-17-18, 11:11 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by The Quiet One
I never though I would be able to squirt water up my nose and watch it run out the other nostril, but I tried it once out of desperation and it wasn't as horrible as I thought it would be and it works. In fact, after you're done and everything's free and clear it's downright pleasant. I still take generic Allegra during allergy season. Zyrtec and Claritin both make me drowsy, not like Benadryl but enough to be noticed. Anyway, seriously try nasal irrigation. I use a squirt bottle from Walgreens and it's very easy to do.
I have both the squirt bottle and neti pot for saline irrigation from pre-measured packets. Of the two I prefer Ms. Netty Potts. The squirt bottle sometime causes painful pressure, like being underwater with a sinus headache.
Old 03-17-18, 12:33 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Wear a mask that stops pollen being inhaled?
Old 03-17-18, 12:35 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts

Tennis player's sweatband for the wrist?
Old 03-17-18, 12:43 PM
Mainiac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Never thought of that. Good idea.
Old 03-17-18, 06:47 PM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), Yess World Cup race BMX, Pure Cruiser race BMX, RSD Mayor v3 Fatbike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 132 Posts
Or move north and don't worry about it until June....
Old 03-21-18, 08:42 PM
ggoytia1

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As others have advised the neti pot is great. Do a quick search for diy saline solution and for a product called Squip Nasaline Nasal Rinsing System. I got this little syringe thing in November for my kiddo's cold. Picked up the adult version December 1st.
Neto pot is in the medicine cabinet collecting dust.
Picked mine up from Amazon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.