Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Shoulder Impingement and Cycling

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-18, 06:06 PM
btd23

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

When I got my road bike and started riding a lot more in 2015, I'd always get upper body pain on long rides and I always chalked it up to being new at the sport. By the fall of 2016, the pain was coming on sooner and sooner until a ride in April of 2017 when I only made it about half an hour when the pain set in pretty terribly. I set out trying to solve the problem all throughout 2017 without much luck. After 4 physical therapists, 3 doctors, multiple X-rays/MRIs, and several bike fittings in which I was put on short, medium, and long stems at differing heights, I cannot get relief. The latest diagnosis is shoulder impingement with some signs of arthritis (this makes the most sense to me since it's primarily one sided and starts as a tingling on that side before the pain sets in).

Has anyone had similar problems? I went from 3,000mi in 2016 to about 1,500mi in 2017 and I can't take another summer like this. Prescription NSAID and prednisone have both been ineffective, as well as massage therapy. I did get some relief from dry needling, but that didn't seem to last even though I kept going weekly. I wanted to try a cortisone shot but was turned down since I wasn't exhibiting symptoms in the office right then that day.

I'm starting to lose hope as it's beginning to seem like it's not worth the investment to keep trying new treatment. Sorry for the rambling post - any advice would be appreciated...
Old 04-22-18, 06:34 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
All of the above. Except halve the PT and double the doctors. Sorry, but no useful advice as I'm still searching and hoping for relief. I threw my hands up at the medical industry a while ago and have been trying to rehabilitate on my own. My back/shoulder still hurts daily, but frankly I'm doing a better job than all of the doctors combined. Are we up the creek without a you know what?
Old 04-22-18, 09:04 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
NSAIDs work but the therapeutic dose will fry your kidneys if not burn a hole in your intestines. Fortunately, the fix is very easy... so much written about it all you have to do is Google--e.g., Dr. Kirsch, hanging, shoulder impingement

He literally wrote the book: https://www.amazon.com/Shoulder-Pain.../dp/B003ICWIUM
Old 04-23-18, 12:21 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I have chronic neck and shoulder pain from a car wreck several years ago that left the C2 vertebrae permanently damaged.

Best I can do is limit my continuous rides on the road bike to 20-40 miles, depending on how I feel that day. Anything longer I either need a break or switch to my hybrid with more upright posture. I've had to cut short some planned rides when I couldn't hold my head up any longer to see the road. I did one full century last autumn and won't do another. I can just about manage a few metric centuries a year, but not the full 100 miles anymore.

So I switched my efforts to getting faster and better on climbs over shorter distances.

My breakfast is coffee and 2-3 ibuprofen. I probably go through two or three bottles of 500 ibuprofen a year. Not much alternative. Nothing else without a prescription works. I take the prescription pain meds only when it's unbearable. Lots of stretching, ice/heat, soaking in hot baths with Epsom salts, etc.

I'll probably try local anti-inflammatory injections next. But frankly the current trend in "pain management" is almost as annoying as the pain itself. Doctors are so paranoid of losing their licenses they've stopped prescribing anything stronger than Tylenol for more than a week. And they seem to be milking insurance by requiring multiple appointments for alternative treatments: (1) an appointment to talk about a local anti-inflammatory injection or nerve block; (2) another appointment to be evaluated for same; (3) a third appointment to actually do the injection or nerve block. They stretch it out for weeks or months. When we first started with the pain management clinic they'd do everything in the same day. But something changed and it's an idiotic bureaucratic mess now.
Old 04-23-18, 12:35 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3894 Post(s)
Liked 1,943 Times in 1,388 Posts
Here ya go:
https://www.amazon.com/Shoulder-Pain.../dp/B003ICWIUM

Fixed me and my doctor right up. We both had shoulder impingement. I first got a prescription to a PT, but he did absolutely nothing for me. This book is the real thing, so I told my doc about it.
Old 04-23-18, 02:36 AM
rivers

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 81 Posts
I had/have a shoulder impingement and tendinosis from a motorbike accident I was in last year. A combination of physical therapy and a cortisone injection sorted it to the point of where I can function. I still have pain, and some days quite a lot of pain. But, I still continue with physio on my own, and can manage with the amount of pain I am in for long rides.
Old 04-23-18, 06:33 AM
btd23

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by McBTC
NSAIDs work but the therapeutic dose will fry your kidneys if not burn a hole in your intestines. Fortunately, the fix is very easy... so much written about it all you have to do is Google--e.g., Dr. Kirsch, hanging, shoulder impingement

He literally wrote the book: https://www.amazon.com/Shoulder-Pain.../dp/B003ICWIUM

Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Here ya go:
https://www.amazon.com/Shoulder-Pain.../dp/B003ICWIUM

Fixed me and my doctor right up. We both had shoulder impingement. I first got a prescription to a PT, but he did absolutely nothing for me. This book is the real thing, so I told my doc about it.

Two recommendations for the same book - I'll give it a shot! Currently sold out on Amazon...maybe I'll get the Kindle version. It sounds like the general idea is to hang from a pull up bar a few times each day? Interesting.
Old 04-23-18, 06:40 AM
denvertrout

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Have you had your neck looked at? Pretty easy to mimick those same symptoms due to the position of cycling. You don't mention your age, or if there are other aggravating positions or causes? Should be pretty easy to isolate if it is your shoulder causing the problem vs your neck.
Old 04-23-18, 07:01 AM
btd23

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by denvertrout
Have you had your neck looked at? Pretty easy to mimick those same symptoms due to the position of cycling. You don't mention your age, or if there are other aggravating positions or causes? Should be pretty easy to isolate if it is your shoulder causing the problem vs your neck.
Sorry - that would've been helpful to add. I'm 27, 5'10", and ride a 56cm Specialized Roubaix. I unfortunately work a desk job and get some of the same symptoms while sitting and driving, but nothing as bad as while I'm on my bike.

I had an Xray and an MRI of my neck, and I was told both look excellent. The shoulder Xray I had is what revealed some signs of arthritis and the doctor noted differences in movement between each shoulder during his evaluation. I do get pain into the neck, but the evidence seems to be pointing toward the shoulder as the culprit.
Old 04-23-18, 01:17 PM
denvertrout

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I would advise looking further into the neck. Sounds like position (posture) affects your symptoms quite a bit. Website to find a good PT. https://www.mckenzieinstituteusa.org/ . Did none of the 4 PT's work on your neck? 3 years and assuming 3 years of shoulder exercises and no change, time to look at other areas

Feel free to PM me and we can get more detailed.
Old 04-23-18, 01:49 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Originally Posted by btd23
Two recommendations for the same book - I'll give it a shot! Currently sold out on Amazon...maybe I'll get the Kindle version. It sounds like the general idea is to hang from a pull up bar a few times each day? Interesting.
That's all it is. I got the Kindle version. One only needs read it once. It takes a couple weeks to do the job and then continue for maintenance. I hang for 2 - 1' hangs, twice a week is all. More would probably be better. It's good for the forearms, too.

The theory is that our species evolved from folks who brachiated, i.e. moved by hanging from their hands. Kids still instinctively do this, hence the monkey bars which used to be fixtures in every school playground. Unfortunately the modern quest for complete safety in every activity has lead to their removal, so we'll see a lot more shoulder impingements in the future.
Old 04-23-18, 02:44 PM
JohnnyCyclist
Poseur Extraordinaire

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by btd23
... but nothing as bad as while I'm on my bike.
No medical training here, so take this with a grain of salt...

If I can read my doctor's scribble correctly, I suffer from 'posterior impingement'. This jives with what I found on the internet: "posterior shoulder pain when the athlete places the humerus in extreme external rotation and abduction as in the cocking phase of pitching or throwing". I can't throw a ball (except under-hand). I can't swing a tennis racket, golf club, whatever (except half-a-swing).

As it applies to cycling, I cannot reach into my jersey pockets (the extreme angle of the shoulder and reaching behind just KILLS me - luckily only one shoulder is bad, so I just use the other hand) - but I can ride just fine, which makes sense. Riding position is not a throw-the-ball or swing-the-racket type activity. The only shoulder pain I get while riding is if I hit a bump 'just right', and even that is minimal.

That doesn't solve your problem, but it would seem your shoulder impingement is different than mine, FWIW.

Last edited by JohnnyCyclist; 04-23-18 at 02:47 PM.
Old 04-23-18, 04:02 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by denvertrout
Its not, as the dozen doctors I've seen exist as testament to that. Anyway, its all connected so pain in your shoulder could be caused by impingement in the neck or back, or the other way around.
Old 04-23-18, 08:19 PM
McBTC

You'd have to be an ape to curl your lip at a surgeon who tells you--e.g., “It cures 99 percent of shoulder pain.” ~Dr. Kirsch

You don't even have to read his book. There's so much written about hanging on the web (the fancy word is brachiating) -- even YouTube demonstrations -- it'd be debunked by now if it all was a big sham... The fun part is finding something convenient around the house to hang from (palms forward, shoulder width apart or closer, easy at first if it's tender but... pain is part of the process and you can't really hurt yourself, about a minute a day and work up to a minutes twice a day).
Old 04-23-18, 08:25 PM
Hellgate

Bikes: 333fab Ti, Davidson Ti, Guru Flite CX, Peugeot PXN10E

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Simple, get it fixed. A pill and PT isn't going to fix impingement. Your bones are physically too close to one another. Get the bones shaved and move on.
Old 04-23-18, 08:35 PM
McBTC

Originally Posted by Hellgate
Simple, get it fixed. A pill and PT isn't going to fix impingement. Your bones are physically too close to one another. Get the bones shaved and move on.
Following the advice of Dr. Kirsch, you don't need surgery, you can remodel the bones yourself, noninvasively by simply doing what your arms were designed for 300,000 years ago...
Old 04-24-18, 06:29 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
I did not have exactly the same problem, but one of the smaller problems I was having was my shoulder starting to sieze up.

I know someone who got surgery to fix their "frozen shoulder" and that worked for them.
My dad had the same thing start to happen to him, he just went to the gym and started doing the lat pulldown machine. He said it felt terrible at first but after a few weeks it sorta worked itself out and went away. I know he was definitely not trying to max out his weight or anything, just enough weight to feel like you're working.

Personally I incidentally solved my shoulder problem by fixing problems in my hips and core. When my shoulder was no longer constantly bearing weight because other parts of the body better suited for that started doing their job, my shoulder seems to have fixed itself.

I think I went to 2 PT's and 4 massage places before I found a "massage" place that really really knew what they were doing and did "massage" that was really rather uncomfortable but had excellent results for me. If you live in Minnesota I could tell you which place it is. If you don't I'm not sure how to suggest finding one other than doing what I did - look at reviews online and try different places until you find one that works.
Old 04-24-18, 06:52 PM
KraneXL

You'd have to be an ape to curl your lip at a surgeon who tells you--e.g., “It cures 99 percent of shoulder pain.” ~Dr. Kirsch

You don't even have to read his book. There's so much written about hanging on the web (the fancy word is brachiating) -- even YouTube demonstrations -- it'd be debunked by now if it all was a big sham... The fun part is finding something convenient around the house to hang from (palms forward, shoulder width apart or closer, easy at first if it's tender but... pain is part of the process and you can't really hurt yourself, about a minute a day and work up to a minutes twice a day).
Its not quit that simple. I don't know about the TS, but for me any movement (even very slight) beyond the limit can result in excruciating pain that does not subside. Anytime I embark on any level of PT, I have to prepare myself the painful aftermath that will result. It working but baby steps. So its not going to improve overnight.
Old 04-24-18, 07:06 PM
Hellgate

Bikes: 333fab Ti, Davidson Ti, Guru Flite CX, Peugeot PXN10E

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Following the advice of Dr. Kirsch, you don't need surgery, you can remodel the bones yourself, noninvasively by simply doing what your arms were designed for 300,000 years ago...
You've never been kept awake from spiking pain, you've never had your spouse hear your shoulder creak in the morning. There is no such thing as bone remodeling. Dr. Kirsch is a quack. Have fun with it.
Old 04-24-18, 07:26 PM
McBTC

It's not that hard to understand. Maybe it doesn't work for everyone-- 99% is not 100%... there's so much written about it (below, by Carol Robbins) iin easily accessible information on the web by countless numbers of persons who have zero to gain that I think the bigger the problem a person has the more likely that are, not less likely, to give it a try because, they obviously have nothing to lose.

So is Dr. Kirsch (like Katy Bowman) really saying that hanging is a viable alternative to this standard procedure ["The method for re-surfacing the shoulder joint removes 5-8mm of bone and tissue to make more room for the rotator cuff."] – and can something as simple as hanging from a bar daily be an alternative to damaging and costly surgery? Incredibly, the answer is yes, and this is why: we know that bone is capable of remodelling. Dr. Kirsch’s example is orthodontics; remodelling the teeth and jaw. Another example of bone remodelling is a bunion. It’s not a desirable addition but one that develops in response to the forces on the bones over time. Similarly, the process of hanging remodels the acromion as the force of the humeral head in the position of 180 degrees vertical acts upon it. These forces are not generated by simply raising the arm overhead, the full 180 degrees is only achieved though passive hanging. In fact, according to many of Dr. Kirsch’s patients, relief was felt in only a few days.

The hanging can be initially uncomfortable or even painful, but it’s important to note that if you have already been diagnosed with a tear of the rotator cuff tissues, hanging will not exacerbate or damage the tissues further. In fact, they are out of the way in the full hang position. As long as you can get the arm past horizontal on your own, you can begin to hang.

Dr. Kirsch’s book has many images of CT scans, artist renderings and xray images of the structures mentioned for further understanding and they are well labelled for the layman. As well, plans for hanging bars and web links to buy bars are included
edit: btw, when I mentioned '300,000 years' above, I don't mean to add to any unnecessary confusion here-- you can read these quotes all over the web and sometimes the figure is 30,000 but the original statement probably was 3 million.

Last edited by McBTC; 04-24-18 at 07:33 PM.
Old 04-24-18, 07:51 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

You've never been kept awake from spiking pain, you've never had your spouse hear your shoulder creak in the morning. There is no such thing as bone remodeling. Dr. Kirsch is a quack. Have fun with it.
Yes, I have, and it's gone, thanks to the good doctor.

I should point out that yes, in fact bone remodeling is a real thing and happens to all adults at about 10%/year: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bone_remodeling

Every see a real cowboy? That's bone remodeling.

Last edited by Carbonfiberboy; 04-24-18 at 08:44 PM.
Old 04-24-18, 09:11 PM
KraneXL

That would have been last night. And the night before that, and the night before that...
Old 04-24-18, 10:29 PM
McBTC

I thought this was interesting...

Rick: ...

So it had to be something else.

A while back I came across an orthopedic surgeon called Dr. John M Kirsch. He started to decrease the surgeries he did and encourage his clients to stretch out their shoulders by hanging like a monkey on tree.

I thought it was very weird and strange.

He talked about the fact that with time, gravity has an effect on the shoulder. Gravity pulling on our arm, which weighs about 10lbs, leads to the shoulder joint changing shape. What ends up happening is the coracoacromial ligament (CAL) would shorten up and we need to stretch the ligament in order to re-shape the shoulder.

It was the missing piece that I was looking for...

Geoff: Ok, wow – I did not know that. So the ligaments actually shorten causing the joint to deform. That explains a lot of things. And I’d never heard about the hanging thing, but it makes perfect sense now that I think about it. I guess that’s why chimpanzees don’t get shoulder problems.
Why Chimpanzees Don?t Get Shoulder Pain? | CHASINGSTRENGTH.COM
Old 04-25-18, 02:23 PM
KraneXL

You need to cool off.

Old 04-26-18, 08:58 AM
Elvir

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went through the same crap with my shoulder. Spent more money than a brand new car with no results, Therapy, Xray, MRI, more therapy. bla bla bla. ONE thing that has helped me tremendously is using a pull up bar and just hanging on it for as long as you can. Shoot for a minute, two, and up to five minutes. Its essentially a great stretch and will realign your shoulders. Its a number one thing Calisthenics athletes talk about when it comes to shoulder health. I did It and honestly feel like my overall shoulder health has improved in matter of a week.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.