Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Tire pressure

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-24, 10:42 AM
Veimos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tire pressure

Hello fellow riders, I'm looking for some help on tire pressure for my mountain bike. I'm not quite sure how much PSI I can safely inflate my tires to without risking damage. My rims are labeled as 47-622. I know that too low pressure can cause pinch flats and reduce the performance. Does anybody know the maximum (recommended) tire pressure for this setup? I want to find the right balance between performance and safety without causing any unnecessary wear and tear on my wheels. Thanks a bunch in advance!
Old 03-03-24, 11:11 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
The max tire pressure should be written on the side of your tire. Of course that's likely to be way more than you need. So just fill your tire up to the pressure recommended by any of the many bicycle tire pressure calculators you can find on the internet. Then ride that pressure for a dozen or so rides and see if it works for you. If you get pinch flats, then you need more pressure in the tire or you need to avoid the things that give you pinch flats. If you think you can do better, then adjust it up or down a few psi and ride that for a dozen or so rides. Check your legs and see how well they feel and check any metrics you might have from a cyclometer or GPS device.

Otherwise, what terrible disaster do you imagine is going to happen? Even at very high speeds I usually just come to a stop when a tire blows out. Perhaps on a fast down hill hairpin turn with a sheer cliff on one side it might be a concern.

Welcome to BF.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 03-03-24, 11:19 AM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 399 Times in 276 Posts
Veimos: If you didn't see the (Tire Pressure calculator Comparison and Accuracy) post under general discussion, then take a look at it.
Old 03-03-24, 01:22 PM
Veimos

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
The max tire pressure should be written on the side of your tire. Of course that's likely to be way more than you need. So just fill your tire up to the pressure recommended by any of the many bicycle tire pressure calculators you can find on the internet. Then ride that pressure for a dozen or so rides and see if it works for you. If you get pinch flats, then you need more pressure in the tire or you need to avoid the things that give you pinch flats. If you think you can do better, then adjust it up or down a few psi and ride that for a dozen or so rides. Check your legs and see how well they feel and check any metrics you might have from a cyclometer or GPS device.

Otherwise, what terrible disaster do you imagine is going to happen? Even at very high speeds I usually just come to a stop when a tire blows out. Perhaps on a fast down hill hairpin turn with a sheer cliff on one side it might be a concern.

Welcome to BF.
Thanks for your help and the warm welcome. By the way, I use French valves on my bike.
Old 03-03-24, 01:43 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
French valve? You mean the Sclaverand valve?

In my years here on BF I've never seen them called anything but Presta valves. I use them too.
Old 03-03-24, 04:17 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
French valve? You mean the Sclaverand valve?

In my years here on BF I've never seen them called anything but Presta valves. I use them too.
Many of the off brands in the rain forest are calling presta valves "French valves" now. I don't know why.
Old 03-03-24, 05:19 PM
wheelreason

Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 373 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
Many of the off brands in the rain forest are calling presta valves "French valves" now. I don't know why.
It gives them that certain je ne sais quoi...
Old 03-03-24, 06:06 PM
Ron Damon

Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 567 Times in 356 Posts
Any advise or estimate that you get here or from a calculator are only starting points. Only you can determine the right pressure based on your weight, load, terrain, rim/wheel and tire size and personal preference. This is something that you need to learn for and by yourself.
Likes For Ron Damon:
Old 03-04-24, 08:35 AM
wheelreason

Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 373 Posts
Originally Posted by Ron Damon
Any advise or estimate that you get here or from a calculator are only starting points. Only you can determine the right pressure based on your weight, load, terrain, rim/wheel and tire size and personal preference. This is something that you need to learn for and by yourself.
Pump by numbers, looks like the Mona Lisa until you look closely....
Old 03-09-24, 01:22 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Well, I don't know what pressure will be best for you, or anybody else, From reading other threads about tire pressure, however, I can state that someone, or more, will be able to present concrete evidence that what ever pressure you are using, you will be better off increasing it, or decreasing it, changing tires, tubes, wheels, etc. so don't worry too much about what you are currently running.
P.S. Welcome the the Forum.
Likes For Pratt: