Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

"Get out of the road you idiot!" AKA Crazy stuff people yell at you

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-15, 05:39 PM
Shiloh253

Bikes: 2015 Motobecane Mirage S

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What's some of the funniest, craziest, or just plain nastiest things people have said to you on a bike? For example, where I live any vehicle that isn't a lifted 4x4 or diesel truck is considered inferior. So when I came up to an intersection and was waiting for the light to turn green, an old timer in a beat up 70's F150 leaned out the window and yelled at me.

"Boy, what in the blue blazes of hell do ya think yore doin'?"

"Ummm...going to the store."

"Ya'll can't ride a bike on the street, get on the sidewalk where ya belong!"

So, whaddya got?
Old 05-07-15, 05:45 PM
jimmie65
Proud hobo biker

Bikes: 2019 Surly Ogre, 2016 Giant Anyroad 2, Lightspeed Roadrunner trike, SE Tripel (in process)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Just past dawn, a truck with a couple of teenagers pulled up beside me and one asked "Why are you all lit up like a Christmas tree?" I responded "So even dumbasses can see me." He then asked "Does it work?" "You tell me."
Old 05-07-15, 08:26 PM
Shiloh253

Bikes: 2015 Motobecane Mirage S

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hahaha, epic!

Oh, thought of another good one that happened last month:

If you're heading into the main part of town here from the south, there's a really steep, long hill that goes down onto main street. Well it's also one of the few roads that has a bike lane. So I love getting up to speed and just hauling down that thing. Usually I'll get up to around 24-28 mph (speed limit is 30) but one day I was really getting it, but didn't pay attention to my computer.

I get down to the bottom of the hill and start to slow down a bit when I hear that tell-tale "woop-whoop" of a siren behind me and see lights. So I pull over and get off the bike to talk to the sheriff's deputy who's just laughing and shaking his head.

Him: "Son, you know how fast you were going?"
Me: "Ummm, to be completely honest officer, no I don't."
Him: (Still laughing) "Well I don't know whether to congratulate you or give you a ticket, but you're the first person I've seen break the speed limit on a bike. Slow it down a bit, alright?"

Last edited by Shiloh253; 05-07-15 at 08:36 PM.
Old 05-08-15, 05:35 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
One time going home a highschool kid walking with someone who appeared to be girlfriend yell something out at me while I was zipping down the road. I couldn't make out what he said. This was the second or third time in as many weeks that I'd seen this kid doing the same thing, but I was never able to hear what he said. Anyway, this time I had to stop at a railway crossing as a train was coming through. He and his friend caught up to me. I called out, "Hey, are you ******ed (a derogatory term that means mentally handicapped)?" Yeah, I know, I shouldn't have used it.

You could he was taken aback by this. "Umm, no," his reply.

"So normal thing for you to yell out random things at strangers on the street then?"

No reply.

Train passed. I went on my way.

I may have seen the kid once or twice in the last two months since that incident, but no more drama.

Last edited by mcours2006; 05-08-15 at 05:39 AM.
Old 05-08-15, 05:43 AM
jimmie65
Proud hobo biker

Bikes: 2019 Surly Ogre, 2016 Giant Anyroad 2, Lightspeed Roadrunner trike, SE Tripel (in process)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You should have asked for the ticket so you could frame it.

Originally Posted by Shiloh253
Hahaha, epic!

Oh, thought of another good one that happened last month:

If you're heading into the main part of town here from the south, there's a really steep, long hill that goes down onto main street. Well it's also one of the few roads that has a bike lane. So I love getting up to speed and just hauling down that thing. Usually I'll get up to around 24-28 mph (speed limit is 30) but one day I was really getting it, but didn't pay attention to my computer.

I get down to the bottom of the hill and start to slow down a bit when I hear that tell-tale "woop-whoop" of a siren behind me and see lights. So I pull over and get off the bike to talk to the sheriff's deputy who's just laughing and shaking his head.

Him: "Son, you know how fast you were going?"
Me: "Ummm, to be completely honest officer, no I don't."
Him: (Still laughing) "Well I don't know whether to congratulate you or give you a ticket, but you're the first person I've seen break the speed limit on a bike. Slow it down a bit, alright?"
Old 05-08-15, 05:48 AM
asindc

Bikes: 1993 Trek Antelope 850 mountain bike; 2002 LeMond Alpe d'Huez; 2005 Orbea Onix TDF; 2015 Bianchi Infinito.

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmie65
Just past dawn, a truck with a couple of teenagers pulled up beside me and one asked "Why are you all lit up like a Christmas tree?" I responded "So even dumbasses can see me." He then asked "Does it work?" "You tell me."
Win.
Old 05-08-15, 07:22 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
"Are you the gas station" (exact words)

This was from two men pushing their fancy Mercedes along the shoulder as I was cycling to the station with a gas can mounted on my bike. I always cycle when I need to get fuel for my lawn mower.

I laughed and said that I was empty right now, but could return in a few minutes and help them out. I also told them to not go anywhere.

Got my fuel for free that day, plus a little bonus!
Old 05-08-15, 07:30 AM
mr geeker
Day trip lover

Bikes: '16 Giant Escape 3 (fair weather ride), Giant Quasar (work in progress), 2002 saturn vue (crap weather ride)

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This morning on my commute some one yelled "get a car" at me. The irony being that the guy looked like if he hopped on a bike he wouldn't make it a quarter mile with out having a heart attack.
Old 05-08-15, 07:43 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
A few years ago as my wife and I were pulling out of a mall parking lot, "Hey you're not in Maine you know!"

I said something about a missed turn in Albuquerque. I never figured out what he meant though.
Old 05-08-15, 08:04 AM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I get the occasional horn honk. Some teens just yelled and made noise once. Other than that, people leave me alone.
Old 05-08-15, 08:09 AM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I learned one thing earlier this spring. Never bike in lycra near where a country music concert is going to take place soon.

The "boys" don't know how to handle someone who doesn't drive a lifted diesel truck. I got all sorts of comments that day.
Old 05-08-15, 09:20 AM
surlymonk

Bikes: Steamroller, Ogre

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mostly what I hear is, "Blah rugga snogglabick tutu." Some sort of cave man language, I guess.

I once got sprayed by a teenage girl hanging out of the back window of a sedan. I caught up with the car a mile later stuck in traffic and she'd left her window down. I did a slow roll by and doused her with my water bottle, just as traffic started to move. The driver made an immediate right onto an interstate ramp and what I heard all the way up onto the highway was, "AAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGG!!!!!" She thought it was pretty funny when she did it. ha!
Old 05-08-15, 10:24 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
I'm pretty fortunate in my area. At most, people will get a little miffed that they had to slow down for a bit before passing. Comments from strangers are neutral to friendly. Really, the only time I get "harassment" is when I'm spotted by one of my bike friends driving a car and they pretend to be one of those jerks.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 05-08-15, 10:32 AM
mapeiboy

Bikes: Colnago EP with Campy chorus

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A few years ago I went out for a ride after the rush hour with few cars on the road . A female drive pulled beside me and told me to get off the road . I said to her why so angry so early in the morning ? you did not get screw last night . She rolled up the car window and drove away .
Old 05-08-15, 10:39 AM
FenderTL5

Bikes: Trek 7.3FX, Diamondback Edgewood hybrid, KHS Montana

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A couple years ago, I was at a T-intersection waiting to make a right turn. I driver in a pick-up was waiting to make the left to go toward the direction from whence I had already come. This put him, just across the lane from me.
He yells across the intersection to me, "You're gonna' get killed!"
I responded, "Nah, all of the idiots are going the opposite direction."
There was a pause, then he just pointed at me, gave a thumbs up while laughing.

Last week I was barked at.
Yes barked at, but not by a dog, by an adult male in the passenger seat of a PT cruiser as it slowly passed.
Old 05-08-15, 11:03 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Last night I was riding home from dropping off some library books after work (and thinking of @tsl) and ended up being the first to stop for the traffic light. A lady crossing the street told me "you look well equipped".
Old 05-08-15, 11:45 AM
vol

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
"&%*@# Bike! Get off the street!! Take the bike lane!!! %@$^&! bike!!!" when there was no bike lane.
Old 05-08-15, 12:06 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
On my normal 30 mile loop of the MUP, I have to ride a few blocks in a downtown area. Where I cross a bridge that's about 3 blocks long, I get people holler at me to get on the sidewalk.

I usually holler back (after I slow down) - "it's against the law for bikes to ride on the sidewalk here, it's even posted. You get on the sidewalk" as I pedal away from them.

It's really easy to beat their speed on this bridge, as traffic is usually pretty heavy, with very wide traffic lanes.
Old 05-08-15, 12:23 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by no motor?
Last night I was riding home from dropping off some library books after work (and thinking of @tsl) and ended up being the first to stop for the traffic light. A lady crossing the street told me "you look well equipped".
And your comeback? (hint: make something up if you have to )
Old 05-08-15, 12:34 PM
asindc

Bikes: 1993 Trek Antelope 850 mountain bike; 2002 LeMond Alpe d'Huez; 2005 Orbea Onix TDF; 2015 Bianchi Infinito.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
A few years ago as my wife and I were pulling out of a mall parking lot, "Hey you're not in Maine you know!"

I said something about a missed turn in Albuquerque. I never figured out what he meant though.
Guessing from your location, he meant that you're in Georgia, so quit acting like one of those NE granola eating weenies, or something like that. For full effect, however, he should have said Vermont instead.
Old 05-08-15, 12:36 PM
asindc

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I changed my mind, you win.
Old 05-08-15, 12:40 PM
jimmie65
Proud hobo biker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
What did she think of your bike?
Old 05-08-15, 12:47 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
And your comeback? (hint: make something up if you have to )
Originally Posted by asindc
I changed my mind, you win.
Originally Posted by jimmie65
What did she think of your bike?
Yeah, I wasn't quite exactly how I should take her comment and said something about needing to be visible because people weren't looking for me. She didn't hear what I said and asked me to repeat it, said something l like "yeah" in a way that sounded like we weren't communicating to well and kept moving. Maybe she wasn't commenting on the pannier and the awesome light display......
Old 05-08-15, 01:34 PM
valleyrider

Bikes: 2014 Trek Crossrip Elite, *mart Mongoose XR-150

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That morning it had been 10 dgrs F when I biked to work. On the way home it was about 45, and I was enjoying the warmth, with my coat unzipped and all that. Some guy in a parka yelled at me: "It's too cold to ride bike, SDfoij!" I said: "It's getting there," smiled to myself, and kept riding.

Other than that, no activity to report, sir.
Old 05-08-15, 01:55 PM
TransitBiker
contiuniously variable

Bikes: 2012 Breezer Uptown Infinity, Fuji Varsity

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I get all kinds of comments, but it isn't a common thing as it was before. Some days though it's like everyone on the road is running a red light or a stop sign or gesturing or whatever. Just part of the deal of living car free.

- Andy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.