Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Run Off The Road Today by Car

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-15, 11:46 PM
Cosmic Hawk

Bikes: BMC Time Machine TMR01

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What a great day so far. I made it 1 mile from my house on the way to work and had a car turn suddenly in front of me without using a signal. Ditched the bike, it hit a tree. I hit my head on the pavement as well as shoulder and hip. I was wearing a helmet and it is totaled so put a check in the box for "wear a helmet" from me. My bike wasn't visibly totaled, but it is a BMC Carbon frame and the bike shop said just get a new one instead of taking chances. It has some nasty gashes for sure. I was going 23 mph when he cut me off.

If thankful for that helmet or I think I would have been screwed. Here's to hoping his insurance covers a TMR01. Haha. They are going to faint when they hear the estimate for a frame replacement if that's what it comes to. I'll post some pictures when I get home.

Last edited by Cosmic Hawk; 09-17-15 at 01:39 AM.
Old 09-17-15, 01:27 AM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
Glad to see that you are around to post this. Sucks about the bike but that can be replaced. You can't. Hope that you are alright.
Old 09-17-15, 01:46 AM
Cosmic Hawk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks man. Here's just a couple of shots of my helmet and such.

You can see that I would much rather have these gashes on the helmet rather than my head. I did a full front flip my noggin.

Police Officer Having a look. He even took the fork specific serial number since it had the most visual damage.

and the bike at the LBS awaiting an insurance adjuster to take a look and listen to the bike shop's input.

I live in Japan, so I don't know how it works elsewhere, but the insurance company already called me and implored that I am at least 5% responsible for the crash just for the mere fact that I was there. The logic is that if I wasn't there, I would have never been involved. It's stupid, but if they are starting at 5% on me, then I am not going to argue, because they could have played hardball. They know their client was in the wrong and I think they are hoping I just don't decide to go to the hospital and say my head hurts and I'm feeling dizzy.
Old 09-17-15, 05:38 AM
chefisaac

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Two things:

1) Go high on your estimate to get a new frame. This will cure the 5% "your fault" cost. Such BS.

2) Careful with what you post on a public forum. Insurance companies can be ruthless.

Just for bonus

3) Save all medical bills.
Old 09-17-15, 06:03 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Cosmic Hawk
...I live in Japan, so I don't know how it works elsewhere, but the insurance company already called me and implored that I am at least 5% responsible for the crash just for the mere fact that I was there. The logic is that if I wasn't there, I would have never been involved. It's stupid, but if they are starting at 5% on me, then I am not going to argue, because they could have played hardball. They know their client was in the wrong and I think they are hoping I just don't decide to go to the hospital and say my head hurts and I'm feeling dizzy.
Thanks for your story. As distressing as it is, others can learn from it.

I didn't read specifically in your report that the driver did stop (other than mention of "his" insurance"). Nonetheless, I won't ask more, in keeping with @chefissac's wise counsel, also as advocated on a sticky on the Advocacy & Safety Forum, “****If You've Been Hit By A Motor Vehicle: ALL MEMBERS READ****”

Originally Posted by chefisaac
Two things:
1) Go high on your estimate to get a new frame. This will cure the 5% "your fault" cost. Such BS.

2) Careful with what you post on a public forum. Insurance companies can be ruthless.

Just for bonus

3) Save all medical bills.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 09-17-15 at 06:06 AM.
Old 09-17-15, 08:06 AM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I would go to he hospital and get checked out. It's one of those things that can manifest itself later. Glad you are alive and not in teh ER
Old 09-17-15, 08:12 AM
Cosmic Hawk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Thanks for your story. As distressing as it is, others can learn from it.

I didn't read specifically in your report that the driver did stop (other than mention of "his" insurance"). Nonetheless, I won't ask more, in keeping with @chefissac's wise counsel, also as advocated on a sticky on the Advocacy & Safety Forum, “****If You've Been Hit By A Motor Vehicle: ALL MEMBERS READ****”
Thanks for the pointer. If the insurance company in Hiyagon, Okinawa is watching these forums, then they got me I guess. I was physically injured and with the way the laws are in Japan, the last thing they want is for me to go to the hospital, which I reasonably could have and still can. A few years ago, my buddy was determined to be 50% at fault in a crash and because the other guy was hospitalized, whatever the reason, my friend was liable for paying his missed work wages, a rental car for some exorbitant amount of time, and a 'gomen' check. I can't remember the dollar figure, but he had to get a loan for it.

The driver did stop and he was even the one to call the police for us. The main take away I have is that if the bike shop gives me the option, I will replace the Time Machine with an equal value alloy frame, or get some money back and go Di2 on it. BMC doesn't really have many alloy frames though, and I do believe I will have to stick with them for the claim.

My second takeaway is that I need more than one road bike at a time ready to ride. I don't own a car and now I am stuck on a poorly geared MTB for 20 miles a day to get to and from work.
Old 09-17-15, 08:33 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't agree with anything a representative of the insurance company says on the phone. Not 5%, 1%, speeds, conditions, anything. I wouldn't tell them that anything at all is "OK" at this point. They're just trying to get your agreement on something in order to limit their liability.

I know, it's easier said than done when you mainly want to put it all behind you. But in my experience, they always have a reason for those conversations, and it's seldom in your own interest.
Old 09-17-15, 09:13 AM
GovernorSilver

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, Jamis Renegade Expert

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Personally, I wouldn't agree with anything a representative of the insurance company says on the phone. Not 5%, 1%, speeds, conditions, anything. I wouldn't tell them that anything at all is "OK" at this point. They're just trying to get your agreement on something in order to limit their liability..
Should he get a lawyer first?

Informative thread - just trying to learn in case this happens to me too.
Old 09-17-15, 09:19 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
There's a good chance the bars have been bent, your crank is wonky, derailer cracked, shifters won't work, etc. Forget the frame, get an estimate for a new bike of the same or similar model.

And seriously, go get checked out at the emergency room. Adrenaline from the incident can mask medical problems.
Old 09-17-15, 09:23 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by GovernorSilver

I wouldn't be qualified to advise on that. Personally I'd not, not unless the insurance company is balking.
Old 09-17-15, 10:12 AM
snow_echo_NY

Bikes: Scott Genius, Surly Crosscheck, Yuba Mundo cargo, Specialized Dolce Triple (stolen 5/8/15)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry this happened but glad you're OK OP!
Old 09-17-15, 10:27 AM
Giant Doofus

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow. Glad you are okay. I'm glad to know that the driver stopped and called the police.
Old 09-17-15, 10:42 AM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I echo the others in saying that I'm glad that you didn't get seriously hurt. 23 mph is not slow so crashes can be a bit more brutal at higher speeds. I always try to stay behind the car approaching an intersection. Too many cars in my commute don't use the turn signal for anything (turning, parallel parking, U-turn, lane change, etc). Hope your bike is replaced soon.
Old 09-17-15, 10:45 AM
scroca
commuter and barbarian

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
... the insurance company already called me and implored that I am at least 5% responsible for the crash just for the mere fact that I was there. The logic is that if I wasn't there, I would have never been involved. It's stupid...
It's not stupid, it is slimy. No way I would agree to it.
Old 09-17-15, 11:59 AM
billyymc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
The logic is that if I wasn't there, I would have never been involved.
That's unassailable.
Old 09-17-15, 12:14 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
There's not a chance in hell that I would agree that I was even 0.00000005% at fault. It sounds to me like they are trying to get the narrow end of a wedge in, trying to create doubt. If you agree to 5%, might it actually be 10? if 10, maybe 20? Do you agree you did something wrong then? Are you admitting by saying that it's 5% your fault for being there that bicycles should not be on the street? If you admit that, then aren't you 100% at fault?

As I said, I wouldn't give them a millimeter, because they'll take everything.
Old 09-17-15, 01:16 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

The OP is in Japan, civil litigation is different and uncommon there, probably not the best source of information for someone living in the US.
Old 09-17-15, 01:26 PM
GovernorSilver

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, Jamis Renegade Expert

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by kickstart
The OP is in Japan, civil litigation is different and uncommon there, probably not the best source of information for someone living in the US.
Ah, I missed the part about being in Okinawa.
Old 09-17-15, 03:43 PM
Cosmic Hawk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, when you are in an accident in Japan, it is always both peoples fault. The representative insurance companies will argue on your behalf about how much your fault it is. Basically, for them to call me and say "hey we are 95% at fault" is this most I'm ever going to get. Maybe if I was a little school girl at the bus stop and got mowed down by a drunk driver, then I would be 0%.

The other thing that is very important is that I am a foreigner. Japan is just one of those places where they are not really playing a fair hand of "everyone is equal" especially concerning non-Japanese. Some light reading on Miss Japan is a good start for that subject.

Basically, I'm blessed that the guy stopped, and that the insurance called me and that they moved first to take blame. We'll see if the bow deeply or just shake hands when I meet them today. Really funny here sometimes. Even scarier is that Okinawa is light years ahead of where I used to live in Aomori Prefecture.( I was sued for slipping on ice and hitting an illegally parked car with my head... AND LOST! )
Old 09-17-15, 04:18 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2495 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
Normally threads of this type are loaded with details of the accident. This one has almost none. As such it is almost useless to anyone except the o.p. as a vent for his frustration/elation/??? Not that I need details and probably the o.p. should not furnish them here. Maybe already he has posted a damaging amount of information, but no one ever listens to the advice to shut up when these things happen. I am bemused at the implicit observation more than one poster is surprised the driver was not a dirtbag who would pull a hit and run on the o.p. In Japan? I think not. It may come up in deliberations as to why the o.p. was traveling in excess of 20 miles an hour on a road where there was the possibility of encountering cross-traffic. Just a head's up there.
Old 09-17-15, 04:47 PM
Cosmic Hawk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It was a median divided road, so no possibility of cross traffic. 23 MPH was also under the posted speed limit. Sorry for not providing better details. I am not a gifted story teller. We can let the thread die until I get a resolution and I'll post an update at that time.
Old 09-17-15, 04:54 PM
trooper2899
trooper2899

Bikes: Cobbed up Giant MTN with street wheels

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If it was here in the US I'd get an attorney (with traffic experience) and sue him (them) get some pain and suffering $$ too not sure how the "Tort" world works in Japan but under the circumstances they'd probably fork over $$ for inconvenience et al.
Old 09-17-15, 08:27 PM
auldgeunquers

Bikes: various strays, mongrels, and old junk.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by billyymc
That's unassailable.
Yes ... but by being THERE, the OP was responsibly being not ELSEWHERE where the OP would have been more comprehensively maimed by another client of the insurance company creating greater liability, no? The OP is actually saving the Insurance company money by being hit where and when he was and by surviving the incident. Send the Insurance company a bill for services. Equal to about 6% of the amount they pay.
Old 09-18-15, 04:43 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts

Should he get a lawyer first? Informative thread - just trying to learn in case this happens to me too.

Originally Posted by wphamilton
I wouldn't be qualified to advise on that. Personally I'd not, not unless the insurance company is balking.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…I didn't read specifically in your report that the driver did stop (other than mention of "his" insurance"). Nonetheless, I won't ask more, in keeping with @chefissac's wise counsel [Careful with what you post on a public forum. Insurance companies can be ruthless.], also as advocated on a sticky on the Advocacy & Safety Forum, “****If You've Been Hit By A Motor Vehicle: ALL MEMBERS READ****”
Now that my serious accident is settled and well behind me (totalled the classic Bridgestone RB-1 and off work for three months) I can relate that having a lawyer was instrumental in obtaining a reasonable insurance settlement, eventually about two and a half years later.

Of course there was the lawyer’s fee (at least it went a lawyer who was a family friend), and the insurance company recouped a hefty share for reimbursement of some medical expenses. Our lawyer explained to me through some peculiarity of the Mass. Law, if I had tripped on the sidewalk, rather than hit by a liable driver, the insurance company would not have had a claim.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.