Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tubeless (airless) tire?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Tubeless (airless) tire?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-18, 09:45 AM
jimmie65
Proud hobo biker

Bikes: 2019 Surly Ogre, 2016 Giant Anyroad 2, Lightspeed Roadrunner trike, SE Tripel (in process)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Tubeless (airless) tire?

Anyone ever seen anything like this? Guy is selling on OfferUp and claims the bike has tubeless tires (if this is real, he means airless).

If this is real, it would be lighter than other airless tires and probably ride better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
tubeless.jpg (86.5 KB, 66 views)
Old 03-08-18, 10:25 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmie65
Anyone ever seen anything like this? Guy is selling on OfferUp and claims the bike has tubeless tires (if this is real, he means airless).
There's holes with air, so they're not airless either

I've seen those type on kids bikes. I've ridden them around a showroom a few times, and that's not long enough for me to have any meaningful thoughts to offer on that specific model and design.

Recently I put in 11 miles on some Nexo-brand airless tires. Different design. Photos and my thoughts in this post:

https://www.bikeforums.net/20198291-post33.html

For an adult, I'd look toward either Tannus or Nexo.

Last edited by JonathanGennick; 03-08-18 at 12:47 PM.
Old 03-08-18, 12:45 PM
jimmie65
Proud hobo biker

Bikes: 2019 Surly Ogre, 2016 Giant Anyroad 2, Lightspeed Roadrunner trike, SE Tripel (in process)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Did a little research - it appears they are Nexo tires. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to test ride soon.
Old 03-08-18, 12:49 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4367 Post(s)
Liked 4,006 Times in 2,675 Posts
We just had a thread on these. My opinion has not changed. Non-pneumatic tires are early 1800s technology that was developed to replace iron tires so back then they were the cat's pajamas but then John Dunlop came along and created the pneumatic tire back in the late 1800s and there is a good reason it hasn't gone anywhere. It might ride a touch better or might ride worse because it might not have enough rigidity. Certainly you cannot vary pressure for different conditions on these non-pneumatic tires.

Generally the bikes that have these types of tires aren't worth much, low end components and cheaper aluminum frames and forks.
Old 03-08-18, 01:06 PM
jimmie65
Proud hobo biker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
My opinion has not changed.
Good for you.
Old 03-08-18, 06:04 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by jimmie65
Good for you.
Thanks. I have to deal with these airless tires regularly and they ride like garbage, even just rolling it in our parking lot you can feel every little imperfection. Actually getting on a riding one they don't get any better. I don't know why people think airless tires are a great new thing, why not go further retro and use iron tires.
Old 03-08-18, 06:22 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18382 Post(s)
Liked 4,515 Times in 3,355 Posts
Here is an older thread...
https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...olid-tire.html

I have a set of Tannus tires on one of my bikes. It offers a unique ride. A little harsh, but not terribly bad. And, also I believe a little slower, but it is hard to compare as I often carry cargo for commuting, and each bike is a little different.

I do believe wet traction is reduced somewhat with the airless, but I'm not sure if it is really that different from the hard slicks such as gator hardshells.

I think my tire has compressed somewhat as well as wearing. I have no experience with the drilled tire above, but perhaps the holes will change with wear, which may or may not become an issue.

I assume that is both tires + wheels. If the price is reasonable, why not try them out, and make your own opinions. If you don't like them, throw them back on a forsale site.
Old 03-08-18, 06:37 PM
jimmie65
Proud hobo biker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Here is an older thread...
https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...olid-tire.html

I have a set of Tannus tires on one of my bikes. It offers a unique ride. A little harsh, but not terribly bad. And, also I believe a little slower, but it is hard to compare as I often carry cargo for commuting, and each bike is a little different.

I do believe wet traction is reduced somewhat with the airless, but I'm not sure if it is really that different from the hard slicks such as gator hardshells.

I think my tire has compressed somewhat as well as wearing. I have no experience with the drilled tire above, but perhaps the holes will change with wear, which may or may not become an issue.

I assume that is both tires + wheels. If the price is reasonable, why not try them out, and make your own opinions. If you don't like them, throw them back on a forsale site.
I've tried tires similar to the Tannus. Green-something-or-other. I didn't think they were horrible, just a little harsh riding. Just curious about the drilled ones.

I'm probably going to pick these up; he's selling them on a fixie for $75, so it's hard to beat the price.
Old 03-08-18, 06:51 PM
jimmie65
Proud hobo biker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AlexanderLS
Sounds like you've made up your mind already.
Make sure you take these on a test ride first.
Looking closely at the pictures I see what looks like cracking near the rim on the tires.
I firmly believe this guy messed up his tires by drilling holes in them and is now trying to offload them on any chump dumb enough to let it happen.

Also keep in mind, you cannot remove tannus tires easily without destroying them. So you will not be able to hot swap these on to a new bike.
Dude, he didn't drill them out. They're not Tannus. Most likely - and like I said earlier - they're Nexo. Or possibly Ever.
https://www.bikeradar.com/us/commuti...er-tire-48593/

EDIT - Definitely Ever. The seller says they're integrated with the wheel.
Old 03-08-18, 07:07 PM
jimmie65
Proud hobo biker

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AlexanderLS
Nexo is Tannus.
AFAIK Tannus has never sold a tire with holes drilled in them.
You do you though. If you want to waste $75 on a pile of garbage, do it.
I was just trying to help you out.

In the future if you've already made up your mind, don't ask the community.
You are wasting all of our time with your foolishness.

EDIT: I've been unable to find EverTire products. It might be legit and fine.
Look at the picture though, there is clearly cracking near the rim on the tires. Also, it's a fixie. Fixies are something only a small group of cyclists can tolerate.
I was looking for advice and experience on a specific tire. You offered none. So save yourself some trouble next time. It's always amazing to me how many experts there are on BikeForums who have no experience with what they're experts on.

Now that I've had a chance to do some research, I won't be buying the tires. Nexo and Ever were both made by Canyon Crawler and put up via Kickstarter. Apparently, the Ever line failed and Nexo has been absorbed by Tannus. This probably means this wheelset came out of the Kickstarter or was a promo item.

The fact that it is an integrated wheelset is a show-stopper. Front wheel had been laced to a dynamo hub and the back is on a flip-flop hub that the seller said could take a freewheel.
Old 03-08-18, 09:07 PM
Hellgate

Bikes: 333fab Ti, Davidson Ti, Guru Flite CX, Peugeot PXN10E

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They're drillium tires.
Old 03-08-18, 09:21 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

If someone took some tires and drilled them out and also scooped out the insides kudos to them as they did a great job. It looks really professional but I am sure it was done in a factory by a company saying "look at our new cool product that is so revolutionary" However it is a cycle that happens probably every few years where someone thinks they have reinvented the wheel and beaten that dumbass moron John Dunlop and his crappy garbage pneumatic tires.