Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

MUP passing etiquette

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

MUP passing etiquette

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-18, 03:35 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 323 Posts
MUP passing etiquette

This morning coming along the trail (Contra Costa Canal trail, near Geary Road). I was approaching from behind a family group with three adults walking and one pushing a double wide stroller, all spread out across the trail. I rang my bell and the stroller driver acted surprised and hustled off the trail to the left, the others went to the right. So I slowly passed through the middle. I don't like when this happens, if the stroller guy had simply squeezed a little to the right then I could have easily passed around on the left with less commotion. I wondered later if I should have stopped and given this group a little lesson on how to allow bikes to easily pass. I've thought about this on several previous occasions but never actually done it. I guess I'm concerned that the walkers would take offense. I ride this trail frequently and would like everyone to get along. Have any of you talked to walkers about how they should behave? I mean politely without getting into any yelling.
Old 03-31-18, 03:43 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
One would hope the walkers could figure things out after you pass through between them. Talking is generally pointless.
Old 03-31-18, 05:49 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4421 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 1,030 Posts
I stopped saying "On your left" after many walkers jumped left in response.
Old 03-31-18, 05:57 PM
johnny99

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Bells are much more effective than calling out to pedestrians. If you forgot your bell, calling out "passing" or even "excuse me" is much more effective than "on your left".
Old 03-31-18, 06:01 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
*ring bell* ( so they know it’s a bike)
“Good morning! Hey, I’m going to pass on your left!
*pass*
*friendly wave*
*ring bell again*

I haven’t had any success engaging pedestrians with the rules of the MUP.

Last edited by caloso; 03-31-18 at 07:13 PM.
Old 03-31-18, 06:05 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
Bells are required on bikes by law, AFAIK, around here, but about the only place I would think about using it is on an MUP where it's actually effective.
Old 03-31-18, 06:07 PM
mcours2006

As for your question, no I wouldn't stop to educate them. If I'm on an MUP I don't expect to be riding very fast anyway. I will take my time to pass them safely.

If I'm walking on an MUP and some guy on a bike tries educate me on how to walk I'd tell him to f**k off.
Old 03-31-18, 06:37 PM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 828 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 98 Posts
As a deaf rider, I must remind everyone that YOU CANNOT ASSUME A BELL OR CALL WILL ALERT ANYONE.

My view is that every rider who wants to pass bears full responsibility to pass safely. The people in front do not. To be sure, educating them as to the rules of the trail would be good, but don’t rely on them to make way or respond as you would wish.
Old 03-31-18, 06:41 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Aubergine
As a deaf rider, I must remind everyone that YOU CANNOT ASSUME A BELL OR CALL WILL ALERT ANYONE.
Deaf walkers are no doubt more alert than headphone walkers.
Old 03-31-18, 07:00 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4421 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 1,030 Posts

My view is that every rider who wants to pass bears full responsibility to pass safely. The people in front do not. To be sure, educating them as to the rules of the trail would be good, but don’t rely on them to make way or respond as you would wish.
I would think most people using a bell or other aural alert are on the lookout for some sort of reaction from those they are alerting. If people that are already not looking at you don't do something in response to a bell or verbal than you don't know what they are going to do as you pass - given the fact that so many people go left instead of right.
Old 03-31-18, 07:18 PM
VRC

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
No no need to do a little lesson. I'm right in the same area and if you go out on a weekend you just need to be flexible.
Also if they are frequent trail walkers they will get the hang of it.
Old 03-31-18, 07:33 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
I'd rather educate MUP cyclists on passing because I have ten times as much trouble with them when I'm jogging as I do with pedestrians while riding. But I suspect that it's a lost cause either way.
Old 03-31-18, 08:20 PM
AlexanderLS
Ex Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
People don't like to be told they are doing something wrong.

I personally don't agree that there is any specific way a group of pedestrians should be expected to move. I always slow when passing and am grateful if they move out of the way for me. If I don't have my mtb bell equipped I'll usually be at a near stop right behind them before I say "excuse me" and a "thank you" as I pass.

All this said, I live in an area where MUP are not frequented by pedestrians and it's pretty rare that I need to pass one. I experience pedestrians in maybe 1/25 rides probably less.
Old 03-31-18, 11:22 PM
Daves_Not_Here
On your right

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Elite

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is the responsibility of the overtaking party to execute the pass safely. As to "educating" pedestrians how they "should" behave, let's put the shoe on the other foot -- should motorists ever stop and "educate" cyclists how they "should" behave, even if politely?

And, there are no laws that specify the direction that pedestrians must step when being overtaken by cyclists, so opinions as how pedestrians "should" behave are just those. Pedestrians will not behave as you expect they "should", they will behave as they do.

Here's what cyclists "should" do -- endeavor to engage in routine and trivial tasks such as safely riding on a MUP without causing unnecessary drama. This is something most 10-year-olds can master.

(apologies to the OP -- this is directed more at the A&S Sisterhood of Perpetual Outrage)
Old 04-01-18, 06:21 AM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Cyclists need to accept that the trail is for all users. Pedestrians, especially the ones with strollers, should not be held to a law that does not exist. If they want to move left, stay in the middle, or lay flat on the ground when you signal, it's your responsibility to react and keep them safe. Thousands of miles on MUPs have taught me that there is no "right way" to interact. It's all situational. Also, there is no right way to signal that you are passing. I use my bell, which seems to be more effective, but I've been yelled at for not calling out, despite using my bell. In 2 situations, I may not announce at all: 1) the person I am passing appears to be holding a good line and their is plenty of room to pass. 2) I see the tell-tell ear bud wires and can hear music before the point that I usually signal. I have often wondered whether pedestrians or runners get irritated by frequent passing announcements. I think I would.
Old 04-01-18, 06:36 AM
mcours2006

As a runner who runs on MUPs sometimes, and sidewalk as well, I keep a straight line, and usually to right of centre. That's the best cyclists can hope for. I sometimes get the bell, but most times they just pass me.

As a runner it is frustrating to pass a group of people who think it's okay to walk four or five abreast while talking very loudly, and seemingly completely oblivious to their surroundings, so even when I do announce my approach it is futile. Most times when this happens I just get off the path, pass them, grumble about it, and then get back on.
Old 04-01-18, 08:13 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Many times, people on the right cross to the left and people on the left cross to the right. And they are all in the same group.

Regardless, when I ride pass or through, I give a "Thank you."
Old 04-01-18, 10:40 AM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 612 Posts
I usually give an "On your left" 25 yards or so back which gives them time to react and gives me time to see how they react, I always say "Thank you" after passing. Most of the time they step to the right and give a little wave as I pass. Once in awhile they go to the left but I prepare myself for that. I've received a couple dirty looks from people wearing ear buds because I had to raise my voice to get their attention. I wonder what a shot from my Airzound would have elicited LOL? They would have heard me the first time though. Last year I came up behind a group of about 6 hikers on a tow path. I gave them plenty of notice and slowed way down. 2 went to the left and 3 went to the right but one guy turned completely around to face me and then froze like a deer in the headlights dead center of the path! Not knowing what he was going to do I came to an almost complete stop and one of the the guys on the right had to pull him to the side. He still had a look of total confusion as I passed, the other guy smiled and shrugged his shoulders as I slowly slipped by. Hopefully I didn't traumatize him too badly.
Old 04-01-18, 10:53 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
IDK your path racer population, there...

Here I ride slower, use my bell and am prepared to stop if they are unaware, wearing ear buds , head down looking at their phone , Etc..
Old 04-01-18, 11:13 AM
AlexanderLS
Ex Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know if some places have laws requiring pedestrians to allow cyclists to pass on MUPs. I do know that in my area the pedestrians are under no legal obligation to move at all. They step aside as a courtesy. I'd never lecture an individual who is extending me a courtesy.
Old 04-01-18, 11:59 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
From another thread. Looks like I wave and ride on.

Originally Posted by mr_bill

(PS, the 7-10 split, or in this case, the 7-8-10 split, always leaves me a bit bemused.)

-mr. bill
Old 04-01-18, 12:25 PM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider
This morning coming along the trail (Contra Costa Canal trail, near Geary Road)..
LOL, I run those trails 5 or 6 days a week, we've probably passed each other. You can demonstrate trail etiquette and hope for some in return but I don't think you should hold your breath, a lot of these trail user are entirely clueless. Answering your question, I think explaining is a waste of time and might be viewed as lecturing, hostile. My wife and I have done it when someone is doing something that might get them hurt, especially when they are caring for a young child. But, most of the time we just avoid causing a problem and move on.

I think taking the attitude that you will always be at fault if an accident occurs, and use your judgment to assure no accident occurs, is a good recipe. Assume the worse, MUPs users don't know the rules, don't know there are any rules.

And, I sure would like a 3 foot rule applied to runners. I've been buzzed within 12 inches far too many times to count, running on the extreme right; cyclists are likewise on my list of MUP wackadoos.
Old 04-02-18, 07:27 AM
noimagination

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider
This morning coming along the trail (Contra Costa Canal trail, near Geary Road). I was approaching from behind a family group with three adults walking and one pushing a double wide stroller, all spread out across the trail. I rang my bell and the stroller driver acted surprised and hustled off the trail to the left, the others went to the right. So I slowly passed through the middle. I don't like when this happens, if the stroller guy had simply squeezed a little to the right then I could have easily passed around on the left with less commotion. I wondered later if I should have stopped and given this group a little lesson on how to allow bikes to easily pass. I've thought about this on several previous occasions but never actually done it. I guess I'm concerned that the walkers would take offense. I ride this trail frequently and would like everyone to get along. Have any of you talked to walkers about how they should behave? I mean politely without getting into any yelling.
Wait, let me make sure that I understand:
- you were riding the MUP
- you came upon some people who did not give you room to pass
- you rang your bell
- they got out of the way
BUT:
- you didn't like the way that they got out of your way
SO:
- you want our advice on how to convince MUP users that they should make room for you in a certain way that you believe is correct, should this situation occur again in the future.

Either I'm misunderstanding the purpose of your post, or you didn't think it through before you posted.

-------------
Old 04-02-18, 09:37 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
doesn't everyone on the trail bear some responsibility? I know when I'm walking on a shared trail like this, I keep to the right, listen for machines overtaking from behind & occasionally glance over my shoulder
Old 04-02-18, 11:35 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2339 Post(s)
Liked 2,832 Times in 1,545 Posts

I agree..when riding the mup I am hyper careful, slow down to a halt if needed as about 90% of people on the MUP (los gatos creek trail in los gatos/campbell/sanjose area) are unpredictable.

On the other hand, people should not take up both sides of the trail and the general level of cluelessness is astounding.

I don't try to educate, but have yelled at dog owners for for off leash dogs (and a couple of milder be careful to off leash kids) an am prepared to yell at the idiot on a fat tire electric bike doing about 25 with absolutely no regard for anyone else

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.