Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bike with noise like a whistle

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-23, 05:36 PM
pixtaronline

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello! Recently my bike started to make a noise that looks like a hiss, and on the street it ends up calling attention. The noise is not all the time, but it happens almost always, it starts when some kind of force is required (when I'm going through a place that requires a bigger grip on the crank), or when I go over some bump in the street that ends up making the bike shake, or even out of nowhere.
I've already done a few things to try to solve it, but to no avail: I've cleaned the seatpost and saddle area; I removed the front brake and tested it without; I put a piece of paper to separate the pad from the rear brake caliper; I analyzed the two discs and both seem to not touch anything; I tightened the steering box (it's a little wobbly even with the tightening, but it was like that before the noise); the whistle remains even with the bottom bracket stabilized and I couldn't reproduce the whistle using my hands with the bike stopped; I cleaned the chain, and finally, I oiled almost everything to see if it healed.

PS: The rear axle is OK.

Here's a video I recorded of what the noise sounds like:

youtube.com/watch?v=D2kK4lUG4qc

What can it be? Thanks! The text was translated from Portuguese to English.
Old 07-15-23, 05:58 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,584 Times in 1,432 Posts
OK, it's a squeak from something moving. Since it happens even when not pedaling we can rule out things like the crank or drivetrain, and even the rear wheel shifting under load.

So, try to find anything that can flex or move sightly under your weight. Could be within the saddle, the saddle in the clamp, the post in the frame, a loose headset, the handlebars or stem, and so on.

Try standing beside the bike with the front brake on, and pushing back and forth, flexing the saddle sideways, and every possible way to "massage" every part until you can reproduce the squeak. Once you can reproduce the creak, you can localize it to it's source.

Warning, this can be a long slow process, since mechanical objects can be like people in that they don't like to do wrong while under scrutiny. Once, I had a similar issue, where I couldn't localize it. I ended up taping a small memo recorder to various places on the bike and riding, until I found that place where it was loudest, and was able to work from there.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 07-15-23, 06:06 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
See if you get the squeak when you're out of the saddle.
Old 07-15-23, 06:18 PM
pixtaronline

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
OK, it's a squeak from something moving. Since it happens even when not pedaling we can rule out things like the crank or drivetrain, and even the rear wheel shifting under load.

So, try to find anything that can flex or move sightly under your weight. Could be within the saddle, the saddle in the clamp, the post in the frame, a loose headset, the handlebars or stem, and so on.

Try standing beside the bike with the front brake on, and pushing back and forth, flexing the saddle sideways, and every possible way to "massage" every part until you can reproduce the squeak. Once you can reproduce the creak, you can localize it to it's source.

Warning, this can be a long slow process, since mechanical objects can be like people in that they don't like to do wrong while under scrutiny. Once, I had a similar issue, where I couldn't localize it. I ended up taping a small memo recorder to various places on the bike and riding, until I found that place where it was loudest, and was able to work from there.
Originally Posted by tyrion
See if you get the squeak when you're out of the saddle.
Thanks for replying! Unfortunately it only happens when I'm walking down the street. I can't reproduce out of the saddle.
Old 07-15-23, 06:36 PM
pixtaronline

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello again!

I was able to do that, but it doesn't seem to be the same noise. Indeed, this noise coming from the brakes has been around for a while.

The noise I reported happens regardless of whether the brakes are applied or not.

Video: youtube.com/watch?v=ST7DRi3iGWA
Old 07-15-23, 06:37 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5793 Post(s)
Liked 2,584 Times in 1,432 Posts
Originally Posted by pixtaronline
Thanks for replying! Unfortunately it only happens when I'm walking down the street. I can't reproduce out of the saddle.
So, you have your first and best clue. By absence, you've localized it to the saddle and post.

Off the bike, grab and flex the saddle. Brace the bike against a low wall and push the saddle sideways. Try anything you can think of to flex the saddle and post against the frame.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 07-15-23, 06:39 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,047 Posts
Time to lube it up... That is get the oil every where! Then wipe off the drips and see if it continues.
Old 07-18-23, 07:44 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 450 Times in 338 Posts
Does it only happen when you're coasting?

Meanwhile, check the little rubber seals on the axle of your hubs. Shoot a little bit of oil behind them
Old 07-19-23, 06:20 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1746 Post(s)
Liked 1,376 Times in 721 Posts
Sounds like rotational noise. Disc brake rub, plus it looked as though when the front wheel was straight the noise did not produce itself, however when the front wheel was moved off center the noise appeared.
Likes For TiHabanero:
Old 07-19-23, 08:02 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,811 Times in 3,319 Posts
Cable pulled brakes? Sounds a little bit like the pad touching the rotor briefly. When you steer like a drunk the bending and flexing of the cable housings has the cable inside moving the pads even though you didn't squeeze the lever. I've even had it happen a little with my hydraulic brakes when moving the bike around in the house and the bars turn the wheel almost ninety degrees.

Don't worry about it if it doesn't happen often. Try to steer a straight line until you wish to turn. Even then a turn is more about leaning the bike than turning the bars. At least on a road bike I never turn my bars more than a few degrees while actually riding.

Welcome to BF!
Likes For Iride01: